awesome reno

Share your pictures and video. Tell us about the sights, sounds, and scents, as well as the rumors and truths found at Burning Man.

awesome reno

Postby olivia » Tue Sep 07, 2004 3:05 am

last year i made a thread about mean reno. this year i had an entirely different experience.

every year i stop in reno to eat before carrying on home. every year this has meant the dreaded stop at port-o-subs. port-o-subs is probably a little less quality than your average chain sandwich shop, and during the influx of hungry burners the standards drop dramatically and it can get pretty fucking freaky. they start slopping chicken into your veggie sandwich and the bathrooms look like they were waterblasted with pee.

but this year my entire world changed. i had heard rumours of a vegetarian diner in reno but no one was able to give me a name or an address. i assumed it was a fable until my partner in crime put his back into it and actually learned the name. the pneumatic diner. 411 was called and it was decreed that the pneumatic diner did not exist. much moaning then ensued and it was believed that our fate would be chowing another salmonella burger at the port.

and then something really fucking awesome happened. someone told us that it does exist, that they'd been there, and that they'd had the best soy chocolate shake of their life at the very diner we had been chasing. and then, we got the address. the rest is history.

needless to say, the pneumatic diner is THE place to go in reno for cunt-drippingly delicious vegetarian and vegan foods. on my scale of one to awesome i give it a fuck yeah.

The Pneumatic Diner (located in the Truckee River Lodge)
501 W. First Street
Reno, NV 89503

Ph: 702-786-8888 X 106

Monday to Saturday: 11 A.M. until 11 P.M.
Sunday: 7 A.M. until 11 P.M.

http://www.aci.net/diner/pneumatic/
olivia

Postby delle » Thu May 05, 2011 3:07 pm

This one seemed a shame to be lost. If just for the "cunt-drippingly delicious" rave. :lol:

Thanks for the tip Olivia .... hoping it's still there.
GYPSY! We need your opinion on this. STAT!!
delle

Postby Savannah » Thu May 05, 2011 3:18 pm

Google indicates (by way of Yelp.com) that the Pneumatic Diner still exists (at least as recently as of February 28, 2011) in the same location.

They have very good reviews at Yelp, TripAdvisor and UrbanSpoon websites, as well as a Myspace & Facebook page. :)
Savannah

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby Dr. Pyro » Thu May 05, 2011 4:16 pm

As wonderful as it sounds, I think I'll stick with my go-to The Little Nugget and have the Awful Awful. Then hit the Indian taco stand in Nixon for their rendition of beefy goodness on fry bread.
Dr. Pyro

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro

Postby lucky420 » Thu May 05, 2011 4:24 pm

both places are good Pneumatic Diner and the lil Nugget and both are located down town...

damn a burger sounds so good right now...but must resist the temptation as I am on my boot camp diet :cry:
lucky420

Burning Since: I'm not sure
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Postby Elderberry » Thu May 05, 2011 4:26 pm

delle wrote:This one seemed a shame to be lost. If just for the "cunt-drippingly delicious" rave. :lol:

Thanks for the tip Olivia .... hoping it's still there.

LOL we were on the same page on that one! :D
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
Elderberry

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby dinks » Fri May 06, 2011 4:21 pm

I had no idea it was there until I read this thread and I walk past there daily.

But I will confirm they are still there. Pretty well hidden on the side of an apartment building. One block from the river on 1st and Ralston.

Bunch of other great food places just up the road on California Ave near Virginia. Newmans deli, Freemans hotdogs, My Favorite Muffin, Nicks Greek deli.
dinks

Postby haolegolucky » Tue May 10, 2011 12:48 am

The Pneumatic diner fucking rocks.

Slow service, but eh...relax and enjoy before you sit in traffic forever.

The redhead has never been there, but she will go this year before the burn.

There is a lady who sells indian tacos on the first turn off when you leave I-80 before heading north to Gerlach/Empire. . She is super duper nice and makes vegetarian tacos for us herbivore types.
haolegolucky

Burning Since: 2005

Postby havoc » Tue May 10, 2011 6:35 am

haolegolucky wrote:There is a lady who sells indian tacos on the first turn off when you leave I-80 before heading north to Gerlach/Empire. . She is super duper nice and makes vegetarian tacos for us herbivore types.

YES. those were SO freaking good.

wait...haolegolucky. that sounds so familiar...i think i know you from somewhere... :wink:
havoc

Postby Boijoy » Tue May 10, 2011 4:50 pm

dinks wrote:I had no idea it was there until I read this thread and I walk past there daily.

But I will confirm they are still there. Pretty well hidden on the side of an apartment building. One block from the river on 1st and Ralston.

Bunch of other great food places just up the road on California Ave near Virginia. Newmans deli, Freemans hotdogs, My Favorite Muffin, Nicks Greek deli.

& Don't forget the Golden Flower for the most awesome Viet. Noodles ever!!
don't forget to floss
Boijoy

Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Metro Mart

Postby peacesista » Tue May 10, 2011 6:59 pm

Super Burrito also comes highly recommended from this Reno-ite. It's address is 175 E. Nugget Drive right off of I-80 by the Nugget. My husband and I stop there for the "last supper" before heading to BRC. As their name implies the burritos are super huge and tasty.
peacesista

Postby oneeyeddick » Tue May 10, 2011 8:10 pm

Yes Super Burrito is good, but those are a chain, and many are all over the place, you want good RENO based mexican food, try
MIguel's
at 1415 S. Virginia, but come at odd times, unless you don't mind waiting.
We have an obligation to make space for everyone, we have no obligation to make that space pleasant.
oneeyeddick

Burning Since: 1996

Postby theCryptofishist » Tue May 10, 2011 8:21 pm

Do either of these places melt the cheese? It doesn't seem to be the standard, but it's so much better.

Oh well, carbon footprint and all...
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby oneeyeddick » Tue May 10, 2011 8:41 pm

Super Burrito uses nacho cheese sause on half of thier items that have cheese(but thier nachos have BOTH, and are actually really good this way, but thier beans suck, so...)

Miguels is one of those places that may or may not run your entire plate through the oven, depending on what you order.

Thier chicken Mole is the best I have ever had.
We have an obligation to make space for everyone, we have no obligation to make that space pleasant.
oneeyeddick

Postby geospyder » Wed May 11, 2011 8:40 am

I'll second Miguels although I haven't eaten there since last month :lol:
You know it's going to be a bad day when you jump out of bed and miss the floor.
geospyder

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Somewhere in Hushville

Postby dinks » Wed May 25, 2011 10:55 am

geospyder wrote:I'll second Miguels although I haven't eaten there since last month :lol:

In South Reno there is a "Taqueria" right off the freeway at Double R, opposite direction of Walmart. IMHO better than super burrito.

Miguels is good, but Murrietas on south virginia near Inn&Out is incredible.

Betos and Taco El Ray is also a great family chain.
dinks

Postby moonrise » Wed May 25, 2011 1:34 pm

Dr. Pyro wrote:As wonderful as it sounds, I think I'll stick with my go-to The Little Nugget and have the Awful Awful. Then hit the Indian taco stand in Nixon for their rendition of beefy goodness on fry bread.

Yum, Indian tacos it is!

btw, the last time i ate at the awful awful hamburger and fries place (located waaaaaay in the back of the Little Nugget fyi) i finished the whole meal and the main guy told me anyone who finishes the ginormous burger and huge basket of fries can have more fries for free! (they serve a bread basket size of fries) i had a few more and was stuffed. This is a great, infamous Reno 'hidden secret' burger joint, well worth the hassle of parking and trudging on foot through downtown. (it's close to The Sands, a short walk) good eats and a gooooood choice Doc!!
I'm the MAN in a truck, burner who is stuck, you're in luck! I'll whip out my BIG tow chain and not charge you, not even one lousy buck!
moonrise

Postby oneeyeddick » Wed May 25, 2011 6:13 pm

"Hidden Secret"?

Dude, it was on Man-vs-Food and the billboards are around town screaming this fact.

I often wonder what type of drugs you Reno people are on nowadays?

BTW you can also get an AwfulAwful
up at The Wolf Den at 1305 N. Virginia St, on the south tip of UNR campus, just north of I-80.

BURP
oneeyeddick

Postby moonrise » Wed May 25, 2011 8:03 pm

oneeyeddick wrote:"Hidden Secret"?

Dude, it was on Man-vs-Food and the billboards are around town screaming this fact.

I often wonder what type of drugs you Reno people are on nowadays?

BTW you can also get an AwfulAwful
up at The Wolf Den at 1305 N. Virginia St, on the south tip of UNR campus, just north of I-80.

BURP

I remember it from the days I worked Reno, almost 20 years ago.

I've moved on to twice deep fried wedge potatoes these days.

Do they still give extra fries at AwfulAwful if you finish the whole meal?

(I prefer a good fish sandwich nowadys OED)

BARF woops, excuse me for s sec would ya...
I'm the MAN in a truck, burner who is stuck, you're in luck! I'll whip out my BIG tow chain and not charge you, not even one lousy buck!
moonrise

Postby oneeyeddick » Wed May 25, 2011 9:18 pm

I dunno if the fries thing is still going on, as I have never finished the gallon they give you in the first place.

I like the sign that says "9 out of 10 vegetarians don't eat here".
oneeyeddick

Postby moonrise » Thu May 26, 2011 8:43 am

oneeyeddick wrote:I dunno if the fries thing is still going on, as I have never finished the gallon they give you in the first place.

I like the sign that says "9 out of 10 vegetarians don't eat here".

Yea, I ate a hearty meal the last day out there, everyone was cooking up a storm (during the Tuesday dust storm) at our camp we had steaks and fresh tuna sandwhiches.

Nice to know it's still there and now in two locations!! That'll come in handy for regional BM event trips to Reno and monthly shopping runs 8)

Are you tellin' me the truth Dick or just pulling my leg again? LMFAO
moonrise

Postby peacesista » Mon May 30, 2011 8:35 pm

In defense of Super Burrito - they are locally owned and only in four locations in Northern Nevada. Unsure how that's a chain? Also, I've never had nacho sauce on my burrito. http://superburrito.us/about.html

Anywho, Beto's, El Adobe are good Mexican food as well. Can't beat the Awful Awful for post drunk goodness...or if you're not quite drunk yet get the asskicker margarita. It comes in a water bottle that comes in handy out on the playa!
peacesista

Postby oneeyeddick » Mon May 30, 2011 8:56 pm

peacesista wrote:In defense of Super Burrito - they are locally owned and only in four locations in Northern Nevada. Unsure how that's a chain?

Well, I've seen Super Burrito in California and in Seattle, so I assumed it was a chain but it was just a poor choice of name.

dinks wrote:
geospyder wrote:I'll second Miguels although I haven't eaten there since last month :lol:

Miguels is good, but Murrietas on south virginia near Inn&Out is incredible.

Agreed , although I haven't eaten at that one but I have at the Longley and McCarren locations(Chicharrones fresh and crispy as a burrito filling is frekkin' unbelievable!).
oneeyeddick

Postby theCryptofishist » Mon May 30, 2011 8:58 pm

Ah, if I were young, I think I'd ask Dick to lead a burrito crawl through Reno.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.

theCryptofishist

Postby ygmir » Mon May 30, 2011 9:01 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:Ah, if I were young, I think I'd ask Dick to lead a burrito crawl through Reno.

"brave or masochistic"?

who, (just wondering) would crawl behind OED after and during him eating burritos?

Just sayin'............
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Camp Name: qqqq

Postby theCryptofishist » Mon May 30, 2011 9:04 pm

ygmir wrote:
theCryptofishist wrote:Ah, if I were young, I think I'd ask Dick to lead a burrito crawl through Reno.

"brave or masochistic"?

who, (just wondering) would crawl behind OED after and during him eating burritos?

Just sayin'............

I think that if Dick led a crawl, it would be a crawl worth taking. Point taken on the beans, though.
The Lady with a Lamprey

theCryptofishist

Postby ygmir » Mon May 30, 2011 9:13 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:
ygmir wrote:

"brave or masochistic"?

Just sayin'............

I think that if Dick led a crawl, it would be a crawl worth taking. Point taken on the beans, though.

I agree, no question OED is a connoisseur, gourmand, and knowledgeable in the fine things of life........to me, it was all about the beans........
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Camp Name: qqqq

Postby Snow » Mon May 30, 2011 10:41 pm

Pneumatic Diner is one of my favorite hidden spots in Reno! Used to go there once a week for lunch and beers when I had an office job. I'm not even a vegetarian (even though I was for a while).

Super Burrito was next door to my office good burritos there too, pretty much only fast food I'll eat, although not sure if it qualifies as that. Sometimes I get a craving. Never seen "nacho cheese" on any of my stuff, just good ole grated style.

This one time in geology field camp I brought about 20 awfulawfuls to the starving students near Ely.

And of course gotta love the indian tacos on way to the burn, but they aren't ever open yet when I head out, at least they are usualy still open when I finally get off playa.

Man now I'm getting hungry

I'd definitely stay upwind from Dick on any burrito crawls!!!!!
"Art Is Not A Mirror, It Is A Hammer" - Jon Griersam
Snow

Postby Dr. Pyro » Tue May 31, 2011 7:59 am

In order to try and assist your Indian Taco jones, as you leave Nixon heading towards the playa, several miles out of town on the left (west side of 447) just as you crest a rather large hill, will be a stand that is usually open. The problem is if you're barreling down at 70 MPH (or faster) you'll be by it before you know it and there are no places to turn around, so you're screwed. This happened to me in 2011. It will not happen in 2012. Beside, I'll have ~~people~~ newbies with me who need to experience it. MDF and Graidawg, we are caravanning together out of Reno, right? I need to pick up Mel and maybe Kristi at the Sands, and then it's on to the playa.

My treat on the Indian tacos by the way!

[edit] This advice is only for those arriving early. Come Monday many stands are open for the duration.
Dr. Pyro

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro

Postby oneeyeddick » Tue May 31, 2011 8:25 am

Doc, your version of "early' and our version of "early" has some discrepencies.
oneeyeddick

Next

Return to Experiences at Burning Man