2012 Moop suggestions?

Share your pictures and video. Tell us about the sights, sounds, and scents, as well as the rumors and truths found at Burning Man.

2012 Moop suggestions?

Postby Joshua! » Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:58 am

I was astounded by the moop this year. It was my first year back in 10, and I've become a bit dis-enchanted by the level of shit left behind by participants. I'm sure that it's no worse than the early years (and in some ways, much better!).

At my local regional, *Soak, this year, I went into the porto on the first day of the event. Someone had left behind a peach pit sitting on top of the hand wash. I was mad that someone would start the culture of leaving their shit behind so early. Wondering if someone would take ownership of this, I left it behind. Coming back many hours later, I checked, and it was still there. I put a dime underneath it, thinking I would give someone incentive to pick it up and take it home. (I know, it would have been much easier if I had just owned it myself, but I was still thinking as an outsider at that point.) Coming back the next day, someone had picked up the peach pit, removed the dime, and left the pit. Growl. I finally took it with me on the last day of the event.

I thought that I would start this thread in order to give a list of the biggest moop problems at the event. Hopefully it can serve to help prevent those things in the future.

My biggest moop sighting? Those fucking plastic flags that line the entry/gate road all the way from pavement to 2 & 10 o'clock. Every one of the little flags was missing chunks, and they were spaced every couple of feet. WTF? I would like to think that Bmorg would understand by now that those break down very rapidly in the sun and wind, and could find some alternative to use.

What was the biggest culprit that you saw in the city?

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: Gigsville

Re: 2012 Moop suggestions?

Postby 666isMONEY » Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:39 am

Moop I Found -- Deep Playa

Only things I kept were the AAA batteries in the holder, small Altoids box containing two MDMA? capsules with two Motrin, two 50-millimeter shells (bottom, right -- found one last year) and a poker chip made into a pendant (which this fell off) that says, "Burning Man 2012 / Silicon Village Burners" . . . oh, I also found a small, silver chain bracelet with a jemstone (estimated value, <$40), which I like and have been on eplaya for who lost it.

Source of pic (see much-larger): http://www.flickr.com/photos/666_is_money/7971933284/in/photostream.

Suggestions: Don't bring those belly-dance skirts with the silver "coins", fake flowers, bring nail magnet if you construct or burn something (found rusted joist nails from prior burn), pick up your cig-butts, wear more jewelry with loose clasps and bring more drugs for me to find (last year I found a 10-strip).

I always carried a backpack and tossed everything I found in the pocket, unless it was too big. I used the poncho to spread out on the playa to lie down or sit.
Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: BRCCP

Postby thelionking » Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:48 am

Cigarette Butts.....

Most surprising an Earth Guardian bandana
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Retrofrolic

Postby Lonesomebri » Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:50 am

Wow, that moop collection is a real LNT turn-on..... So, ah, if you and that altoid tin of yours aren't doing anything later this week.......

Very inspiring.
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: Camp Threat

Postby trilobyte » Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:13 am

Yeah, you should have just picked up the pit and moved on, rather than getting all burnier than thou and playing silly games to entice people to do something that you yourself could have done. And playing devil's advocate for a sec, maybe had you just picked it up from the start someone else would have noticed (or at least noticed the absence of the peach pit) and been moved to do something about a bit of MOOP they saw elsewhere. But at least that bit of trash got dealt with :)

Things felt a bit more randomly MOOPy before the event, but the conditions were harsher and a lot of camps just didn't seem to have their shit under control for a while. We MOOPed dozens of cigarette butts before the gates even opened, and before the only smoker in our camp had even arrived. During the event, the MOOP we saw most was a toss-up between butts and the feather detritus from those crappy boas and costume junk. Once the event got started we had very little MOOP that blew into camp, but plenty of MOOP from people who passed by and just figured the deli counter was a good place to ditch their trash. It wasn't an obscene amount (and truthfully it was less than I expected being so close to Esplanade), but we had people cleaning the area out front several times a day - there was always at least a few empty plastic drink containers or wrappers.
Site Admin
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby Elderberry » Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:05 pm

Interesting, I didn't see any feathers in that pic. Just sayin.
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Return to Experiences at Burning Man