My Virgin Burn

Share your pictures and video. Tell us about the sights, sounds, and scents, as well as the rumors and truths found at Burning Man.

My Virgin Burn

Postby AnnaJudd » Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:28 pm

While I was at Burning Man, people would keep saying to me, "When you get back to the default world, you will try to describe your experience to those that ask you about Burning Man, and you will be at a loss for words." As someone who devotes themselves to self-expression, I thought that I would be exempt from this prophecy. But now, as I try to articulate the transformation that occurred within me during those 8 days, I am rendered utterly speechless.
I don't know how to express all those feelings, the upwelling of emotion, and the camaraderie I felt with every single one of my fellow human beings, whether they were an acquaintance, a friend, or a complete stranger. For the first time in my life I was able to freely express my appreciation for every form of life and creation, and was met in kind. All around me, the Universe conspired to teach me lessons about myself-- lessons that were simultaneously difficult and beautiful and painful.
From the moment we set out on our voyage across California and into the hot desert, the dark, fearful part of my subconscious opened up like a gaping wound, but waiting there was an abundance of love, softening each blow like a kind and demanding teacher. Everything that happened to me on the playa sang to me in subtle symphonies that whispered and roared that yes, it was okay to let myself hope for something incredible.
All I feel now is gratitude to the myriad of people who made my journey so heartbreakingly beautiful. If you are reading this post, I am speaking to you. Thank you for making my Virgin Burn a week that amplified the joy and love in my life to a deafening level.
AnnaJudd

Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Primal Playa

Re: My Virgin Burn

Postby Zoso » Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:32 am

that was a lovely read :)
Zoso

Burning Since: 2012

Postby Jim27408 » Mon Sep 10, 2012 7:57 am

:D
Jim27408

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Camp Decimation

Postby Drawingablank » Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:01 am

There is truly no way to describe the experience. While words may suffice to describe some parts of it, nothing can convey what it is like to be there and immersed in it.
Savannah: I don't know what it is, but no thread here escapes alive. You'll get 1 or 2 real answers at minimum, occasionally 10 or 12, and then we flog it until it's unrecognizable and you can't get your deposit back.

Yet Another Crappy Birgin Guide
Drawingablank

Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp

Postby Savannah » Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:39 am

Congratulations on a great first Burn, AnnaJudd. :)
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby MacGlenver » Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:41 am

^ What they said. Heartbreakingly beautiful -- well put.
"just two indecisive cowboys, trying to play a word game." - piehole
"Just apply intelligence and discretion and you should be able to get away with just about anything." - Ugly Dougly
MacGlenver

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: I call this one 'Old Gregg'

Postby RedHeaven » Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:27 am

Soooooooo lovely

Yet we all try to put it into words because at least its something.....
Words, although they cannot describe it all, can at least help.....

Keep on!!! :D
RedHeaven

Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Cirque Du Cliche 4:30 and Dandelion Wine

Return to Experiences at Burning Man