No Feathers?!

Share your pictures and video. Tell us about the sights, sounds, and scents, as well as the rumors and truths found at Burning Man.

Re: No Feathers?!

Postby grenadine » Mon Sep 10, 2012 3:24 pm

Sorry mam, Chicken Lady did it first and did it best.
chickenlady.jpg
chickenlady.jpg (15.27 KiB) Viewed 1625 times
User avatar
grenadine
 
Posts: 64
Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2011 11:08 pm
Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Dye With Dignity

Re: No Feathers?!

Postby jkisha » Mon Sep 10, 2012 7:57 pm

RedHeaven wrote:Because her pic was in Rolling Stone so it harbors attention. I dont think anyone thinks that what she did was wrong, and knows there was much more right to it than wrong. I dont think it is her that people are actually mad at, its whoever chose that to be in one of the nations most popular magazines.

You are right, there is so many other things that are more important in actuality, its just the symbolism I think. Its not like people are going to choose to put a pic of a dumped wal mart bike in the rolling stone.

Unfortunately, it seems that BM is now an exclusive event and consequently will have to deal with that sort of elite publicity. Better chicken lady than Krug champagne, no?
JK
Image
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
User avatar
jkisha
 
Posts: 11403
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2007 10:00 pm
Location: Los Angeles
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Re: No Feathers?!

Postby VampireKitten » Tue Sep 11, 2012 4:59 pm

I am going to repeat what I said on the Burning Man Facebook group...

Let me get this straight... so feathers are banned from the Playa, it's an obvious rule and being virgins this year we chose to follow this rule and my boyfriend ripped ALL of the feathers out of his beautiful dragon ( http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-a ... 4739_n.jpg ) because we were apparently following rules (which I am assuming were put in place for a reason)... yet someone, who obviously knows the rules and apparently has magical feathers that don't shred or moop can't take responsibility for their actions even though they broke the rules? After reading the response she gave, it sounds like someone has a huge amount of self entitlement, it isn't "haters gonna' hate"... it's participate properly if you want to be part. Simple rules are simple, an apology would have sufficed versus the uppity response. Perhaps a costume fit for the Playa with faux leaves (the kind that look like feathers) is in order? Solve the problem, not make it worse.
User avatar
VampireKitten
 
Posts: 90
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 7:10 pm
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Burning Since: 2012

Re: No Feathers?!

Postby AntiM » Tue Sep 11, 2012 6:20 pm

jkisha wrote:
RedHeaven wrote:Because her pic was in Rolling Stone so it harbors attention. I dont think anyone thinks that what she did was wrong, and knows there was much more right to it than wrong. I dont think it is her that people are actually mad at, its whoever chose that to be in one of the nations most popular magazines.

You are right, there is so many other things that are more important in actuality, its just the symbolism I think. Its not like people are going to choose to put a pic of a dumped wal mart bike in the rolling stone.

Unfortunately, it seems that BM is now an exclusive event and consequently will have to deal with that sort of elite publicity. Better chicken lady than Krug champagne, no?


No. Both were Not Good.
These are not my fuckos.
User avatar
AntiM
Moderator
 
Posts: 16400
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2004 6:23 am
Location: Top O' the World, Ma!
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Re: No Feathers?!

Postby Ano » Tue Sep 11, 2012 6:38 pm

Hey, I know we all hate this bird lady, but, uh

http://www.scottlondon.com/photo/burnin ... 2/023.html There was another....
Ano
 
Posts: 214
Joined: Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:04 pm
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: ???

Re: No Feathers?!

Postby jkisha » Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:33 pm

JK
Image
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
User avatar
jkisha
 
Posts: 11403
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2007 10:00 pm
Location: Los Angeles
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Re: No Feathers?!

Postby gyre » Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:16 pm

I didn't know rolling stone was still being published.
Nostalgia thing?

http://www.goodolddaysmagazine.com/inthisissue.php
User avatar
gyre
 
Posts: 15346
Joined: Sun Aug 07, 2005 6:01 pm
Location: ΦάÏ

Re: No Feathers?!

Postby Simon of the Playa » Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:03 pm

no.
Attachments
no.jpg
breathe deep, the playa is the dust of your ancestors

A gift for the Playa
User avatar
Simon of the Playa
 
Posts: 13869
Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2007 6:25 pm
Location: Rochester, Nevada.
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Re: No Feathers?!

Postby maladroit » Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:10 pm

Take some small comfort that the priceless extravagant feather wear, much like the models wearing them, would have been gingerly cared for in an RV and only hustled out for a few minutes for the photo shoot, then rushed back inside.

The headbands with a few feathers, feather hair pieces, etc were much more prevalent and moopy.
maladroit
 
Posts: 770
Joined: Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:37 pm
Burning Since: 2012

Re: No Feathers?!

Postby gyre » Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:16 pm

Image

Top this, bitches

Image
User avatar
gyre
 
Posts: 15346
Joined: Sun Aug 07, 2005 6:01 pm
Location: ΦάÏ

Re: No Feathers?!

Postby Snow » Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:25 pm

maladroit wrote:Take some small comfort that the priceless extravagant feather wear, much like the models wearing them, would have been gingerly cared for in an RV and only hustled out for a few minutes for the photo shoot, then rushed back inside.

The headbands with a few feathers, feather hair pieces, etc were much more prevalent and moopy.
So I'm all good as long as I keep my AK 47 in my RV only to take it off to empty a few mags and put it right back? good to know
"Art Is Not A Mirror, It Is A Hammer" - Jon Griersam
User avatar
Snow
 
Posts: 643
Joined: Sun Nov 15, 2009 1:15 am
Location: Lost in duststorm

Re: No Feathers?!

Postby tattoogoddess » Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:46 pm

andddd we have another winner

Image

jasonmongue

Morning at the Temple @ Burning Man 2012

http://lonelycoast.tumblr.com/post/3129 ... urning-man
maladroit- Burning Man is like a second job, except you pay to work there.
Burning Man is just the pre party for exodus! - fellow burner during exodus
http://burnon.wix.com/bloodbathandbeyond
User avatar
tattoogoddess
 
Posts: 1943
Joined: Wed Sep 14, 2011 5:22 pm
Location: Iowa
Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: bloodbath and beyond

Re: No Feathers?!

Postby gyre » Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:12 pm

Image
User avatar
gyre
 
Posts: 15346
Joined: Sun Aug 07, 2005 6:01 pm
Location: ΦάÏ

Re: No Feathers?!

Postby maladroit » Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:39 pm

Those picture really could have been taken anywhere, since they seem to consist only of skinny ladies, feathers, and sky. They didn't really need to bring all that to the playa, they could have done it in a Cleveland Wal-Mart parking lot.
maladroit
 
Posts: 770
Joined: Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:37 pm
Burning Since: 2012

Re: No Feathers?!

Postby Candybox » Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:01 am

VampireKitten wrote:I am going to repeat what I said on the Burning Man Facebook group...

Let me get this straight... so feathers are banned from the Playa, it's an obvious rule and being virgins this year we chose to follow this rule and my boyfriend ripped ALL of the feathers out of his beautiful dragon ( http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-a ... 4739_n.jpg ) because we were apparently following rules (which I am assuming were put in place for a reason)... yet someone, who obviously knows the rules and apparently has magical feathers that don't shred or moop can't take responsibility for their actions even though they broke the rules? After reading the response she gave, it sounds like someone has a huge amount of self entitlement, it isn't "haters gonna' hate"... it's participate properly if you want to be part. Simple rules are simple, an apology would have sufficed versus the uppity response. Perhaps a costume fit for the Playa with faux leaves (the kind that look like feathers) is in order? Solve the problem, not make it worse.


Aww, I'm sorry your bf had to rip out all those feathers. That mask is really nice. Thank you guys for being conscientious. But this post really does hammer in the fact that BM shouldn't be about exceptionalism, since theoretically we are all equal participants.

So if a costume/art/whatever is subjectively nice, we should all be able to bring it? Well, what if I make an AMAZING feather art car? Something even better than a chicken suit... should that be given a special pass then? Or, being inspired by the chicken lady, I create an awesome flock of peacock costumes for a professional dance troupe, clearly nicer than her costume, and I promise you all the dancers are good burners who would pick up their MOOP. Should we get a pass? But if we get a pass, what about that hipster chick with the Indian head-dress? A lot of people think it's tacky, but she glued it herself, and she and her friends thinks it's an awesome work of art. Who's to say she shouldn't get a pass too? I mean, lots of people think chickenlady is pretty tacky as well.

And I have some awesome glass installations. I'm sure they're sturdy. I should be able to stick those out on the playa too, right? If they've been in magazines and other people think they're really special... I should get a special playa pass that exempts me from the rules? Right?
Candybox
 
Posts: 68
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2011 3:48 pm
Location: SF Bay
Burning Since: 2010

Re: No Feathers?!

Postby ygmir » Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:12 am

http://www.rollingstone.com/culture/pic ... ps-0192219

you should see the feather outfit in this set.....I can't figure how to save just that pic and post it.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
User avatar
ygmir
 
Posts: 25998
Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2007 8:36 pm
Location: nevada county
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Re: No Feathers?!

Postby RedHeaven » Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:14 am

Its annoying that people think they need feathers to look cool. Be creative and come up with some non moopy fashion!! Thats what BMan fashion is all about ~ Practicality in the desert mixed with costume fun!

I spent the week with a really good friend and she wore a feather head dress and long feather earrings all week. All it said to me was "Hi, I'm Dumb and dont give a shit about the 10 principles, I care more about the way I look"
I should of gave her shit for it but I didnt want to harsh her world.
User avatar
RedHeaven
 
Posts: 634
Joined: Fri Sep 09, 2005 11:00 am
Location: Nevada City California
Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Cirque Du Cliche 4:30 and Dandelion Wine

Re: No Feathers?!

Postby Simon of the Playa » Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:20 am

seriously...
Attachments
644455_4211302396641_477313564_n.jpg
breathe deep, the playa is the dust of your ancestors

A gift for the Playa
User avatar
Simon of the Playa
 
Posts: 13869
Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2007 6:25 pm
Location: Rochester, Nevada.
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Re: No Feathers?!

Postby Nipple » Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:33 am



"I'm pretty! I can get away with... FUCKED UP SHIT!"
User avatar
Nipple
 
Posts: 1116
Joined: Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:36 pm
Location: Portland, OR
Burning Since: 2017

Re: No Feathers?!

Postby Simon of the Playa » Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:22 am

Image
breathe deep, the playa is the dust of your ancestors

A gift for the Playa
User avatar
Simon of the Playa
 
Posts: 13869
Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2007 6:25 pm
Location: Rochester, Nevada.
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Re: No Feathers?!

Postby Bob » Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:51 am

People *have* brought pet chickens. Chicken brought a chicken once. That was the same year some asshole brought camels that shit all over the place, and the camel jockey actually expected someone else to clean it up. That's how rules happen.

Lovely, eh?

Image
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
User avatar
Bob
 
Posts: 6762
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2003 10:00 am
Location: San Francisco
Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Re: No Feathers?!

Postby Lonesomebri » Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:31 am

Okay, so do I have to rethink my plans for the Pillow Fight themed event even though it will only involve hot good looking chicks?
pillow-fight.jpg
pillow-fight.jpg (22.48 KiB) Viewed 1409 times
User avatar
Lonesomebri
 
Posts: 818
Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2012 5:54 pm
Burning Since: 1997
Camp Name: Camp Threat

Re: No Feathers?!

Postby Bob » Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:48 am

Lonesomebri wrote:Okay, so do I have to rethink my plans for the Pillow Fight themed event even though it will only involve hot good looking chicks?
pillow-fight.jpg


If you did that in an airtight garage with a cyclonic feather collection system, and they were wearing chicken costumes, I smell a fat art grant. Better yet if you can initiate a feather explosion.
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
User avatar
Bob
 
Posts: 6762
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2003 10:00 am
Location: San Francisco
Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Re: No Feathers?!

Postby Simon of the Playa » Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:20 am

breathe deep, the playa is the dust of your ancestors

A gift for the Playa
User avatar
Simon of the Playa
 
Posts: 13869
Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2007 6:25 pm
Location: Rochester, Nevada.
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Re: No Feathers?!

Postby Lonesomebri » Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:29 am

Bob wrote:If you did that in an airtight garage with a cyclonic feather collection system, and they were wearing chicken costumes, I smell a fat art grant. Better yet if you can initiate a feather explosion.


Riding on the success of BurnWallStreet, I'm calling it "Pillow Fight to end Poverty." Cyclonic ??? Where do I get that? Coffee Enema Camp? Anyway, I heard that there places over on 2 and 10 where I could dump shit when I was done.....
User avatar
Lonesomebri
 
Posts: 818
Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2012 5:54 pm
Burning Since: 1997
Camp Name: Camp Threat

Re: No Feathers?!

Postby ZaphodBurner » Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:49 am

I pulled the horsehair crest off my corinthian Spartan helmet because horse hair might be moopy, in a state that has wild horses.

As for the hawk feathers, well, FFS if it's an indigeonous creature... ...no, no, that's the way it ought to be but unfortunately even with the rules as they are, people don't respect them. Too many sparkle-tards (new one?) who don't know a feather boa from a fucking bald eagle if it doesn't suit their attire.

But, once again, if you're cute and mostly naked you'll get away with anything you want, ESPECIALLY in Black Rock City.
"The Red Baron is smart.. He never spends the whole night dancing and drinking root beer.. "-The WWI Flying Ace
User avatar
ZaphodBurner
 
Posts: 1330
Joined: Fri Jun 17, 2005 3:05 pm
Location: Portland, OR
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: The Green Hour 2012 - 9:00 & D

Re: No Feathers?!

Postby skyhawkecks » Thu Sep 13, 2012 1:31 pm

ZaphodBurner wrote:I pulled the horsehair crest off my corinthian Spartan helmet because horse hair might be moopy, in a state that has wild horses.

As for the hawk feathers, well, FFS if it's an indigeonous creature... ...no, no, that's the way it ought to be but unfortunately even with the rules as they are, people don't respect them. Too many sparkle-tards (new one?) who don't know a feather boa from a fucking bald eagle if it doesn't suit their attire.

But, once again, if you're cute and mostly naked you'll get away with anything you want, ESPECIALLY in Black Rock City.


God damned one percenters!
skyhawkecks
 
Posts: 104
Joined: Tue Jul 26, 2011 4:20 am
Location: Sunnyvale, CA
Burning Since: 2011

Re: No Feathers?!

Postby Bounce530 » Thu Sep 13, 2012 3:04 pm

Here is this feathered persons bookface:
http://www.facebook.com/mkreyn
Image
TomServo wrote:Pickles are cucumbers soaked in EVIL!
User avatar
Bounce530
 
Posts: 1535
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 11:26 am
Location: H at about 4:25ish
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: BRC Guardian docking pad

Re: No Feathers?!

Postby pink » Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:07 pm

I don't think she's pretty....

And she doesn't let strangers comment or I woulda told her to leave the MOOP at home next year.
I'm not a slut, I'm good time floozy!
pink
 
Posts: 838
Joined: Wed Jul 19, 2006 7:30 am
Location: sacramento
Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Retrofrolic

Re: No Feathers?!

Postby maladroit » Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:36 am

Being thoughtful and considerate is beautiful.

Not looking like a tarted up and feathered rainbow raver skank.
maladroit
 
Posts: 770
Joined: Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:37 pm
Burning Since: 2012

PreviousNext

Return to Experiences at Burning Man

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest