Thank you to UStream folks

Share your pictures and video. Tell us about the sights, sounds, and scents, as well as the rumors and truths found at Burning Man.

Thank you to UStream folks

Postby tummler » Wed Sep 05, 2012 6:31 am

Just want to give the big thank you to the UStream folks. I popped in many times during the week and every time, there was something delightful to witness. The feed seemed crisper and more varied than last year. The tour through the Man--amazing! Unless I imagined it, there were a few bike- or car-cam bits, too, which were equally awesome. Sunrise. Sunset. Middle of the day. Middle of the night. Fabulous!

There were a few times the feed was in black-and-white, which was equally cool. Looked like winter in Siberia, but with underdressed folks.

My son is fired up for Burning Man 2013 (or 2014). He's 13, and watched some UStream along with me. Then, he brought me some bookmarked pages for things we'd need to start collecting, like multipocketed flak vests, a full-on gas mask, and some solar lanterns. He's got respiratory issues, so he told me he was planning on a trip to the doctor for a prescription for extra inhalers, especially after I told him about the dormant shrimp larvae in the dust, and asked me if there were emergency med services, just in case. He has already read up on building a hexayurt and looked at the city on Google Maps.
tummler

Re: Thank you to UStream folks

Postby shroom » Wed Sep 05, 2012 7:28 am

The ustream was amazing! I loved watching it and chatting with fellow burners stuck at home.

Have you been before? Lots of info on here if you haven't. (and if you have you knew that!) :wink:
"Success is not the result of spontaneous combustion. You must first set yourself on fire." Fred Shero
shroom

Burning Since: 2010

Postby danibel » Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:27 am

I too completely enjoyed the Ustream. I didn't leave Santa Cruz until late Monday night so watching the first fire get lit and all the other fun stuff via webcam was so much fun.

Thank you, thank you, thank you, Ustream peeps.
In dust we trust.
danibel

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Camp D'nile

Postby toddbigeasy » Thu Sep 06, 2012 1:37 pm

Thanks from me too!

I watched from when HJ and the cam left his mountainside home, and made the trek to the play, until the cam went dead on this past Tuesday. Totally enjoyed it!
Todd
toddbigeasy

Postby Ruleryak » Fri Sep 07, 2012 8:25 am

tummler wrote:He's got respiratory issues, so he told me he was planning on a trip to the doctor for a prescription for extra inhalers, especially after I told him about the dormant shrimp larvae in the dust, and asked me if there were emergency med services, just in case.

Sorry if I'm misconstruing this, but are you saying you basically told your 13 year old child that he'd be inhaling shrimp larvae and could have medical problems from that? That's pretty screwed up if so seeing as how no one in the history of burning man has had "dormant shrimp" come back to life in their respiratory system... that's like the parents that tell their children about bot flies and whatnot then wonder why they're terrified of bugs for "no reason".

On a side note - thanks very much to the broadcast crew at burning man! It was very much appreciated to be able to see (and control) the camera throughout the week :mrgreen:
07, 08, 09, 10, 11, 13 - 14 Soon!
Ruleryak

Postby Miles » Fri Sep 07, 2012 8:58 am

Yes, camp envy was awesome. Big thanks to hyperjohn and the crew! It was great watching it from home.
I like bikes and stuff
Miles

Postby tummler » Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:27 am

No to the shrimp larvae paranoia--we were talking about dust masks, respirators, and whatnot, about the playa floor, and, for some reason, about krill. More of an environmental discussion than a fear-mongering discussion. I personally was concerned about his asthma and respiratory issues. He was curious about if he could bring them home, hatch them, and then eat them.
tummler

Return to Experiences at Burning Man