Alright, let's hear the best and worst from 2012

Share your pictures and video. Tell us about the sights, sounds, and scents, as well as the rumors and truths found at Burning Man.

Re: Alright, let's hear the best and worst from 2012

Postby Savannah » Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:24 pm

That story makes me love people extra today.
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby Bob » Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:34 pm

Yeah, soup is punk rock.
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
Bob

Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Postby ZaphodBurner » Tue Sep 18, 2012 1:07 pm

ygmir wrote:
Gate, is not there to hug, or snuggle, or give you a wristy.
.....but many have a ton of fun with it, interact, whatever.

They have no way of knowing you ,when you pull up.
They have no way, of knowing you are so "burney" and know all the rules and such

Which is why they should remember that they're standing out there essentially alone in the desert of the American wild west. As the Gypsy Jokers and Hells Angels say, always dig the hole first because if somebody sees what you're doing, you're going to have to dig more holes.

There is nothing in the world wrong with acting like a civilized human being. If standing in the dust and ripping tickets is hard, what about the Medical people? Their job is hard but you don't see them verbally-abusing people for dehydration. The DMV didn't verbally-abuse people for not having their paperwork or the right kind of lighting. The Rangers' job is even harder and they manage not to verbally-abuse anybody...maybe because the understand what "escalation" means.

If taking tickets is so hard that you have to hav a meltdown when people show up doing it wrong, go back to cutting hair or folding panties or typing memos or whatever it is you do in the real world. One of my coworkers couldn't come to the burn because he was in ICU since June and his guts are still being held in by mesh. Another of our coworkers died on impact. My wife just had to fire a woman who has a family to support because the woman repeatedly left children unattended and risked getting the whole program shut down. When that woman showed up in my wife's office, my wife had to instantly assess whether the woman was there to shoot the place up. Those are hard jobs.

If you can't hack the gate, leave it to people who can. Just because somebody gives somebody a little bit of responsibility doesn't ENTITLE them to be a complete dick, even if their job IS ACTUALLY HARD. Plenty of lieutenants learned that in Vietnam when a frag rolled into their tent.

VOLUNTEERING AT BURNING MAN DOESN'T ENTITLE YOU TO BE ABUSIVE EVEN IF YOU THINK YOUR JOB IS HARD.
"The Red Baron is smart.. He never spends the whole night dancing and drinking root beer.. "-The WWI Flying Ace
ZaphodBurner

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: The Green Hour 2012 - 9:00 & D

Postby ZaphodBurner » Tue Sep 18, 2012 1:11 pm

(...our Gate people have always been friendly and awesome, with one exception when I was giving a person a ride back to D-lot to pick up a mutant vehicle.)
Last edited by ZaphodBurner on Tue Sep 18, 2012 1:25 pm, edited 3 times in total.
"The Red Baron is smart.. He never spends the whole night dancing and drinking root beer.. "-The WWI Flying Ace
ZaphodBurner

Postby Nipple » Tue Sep 18, 2012 1:20 pm

Your posts always end with someone dying.

That's weird.
Nipple

Burning Since: 2017

Postby ZaphodBurner » Tue Sep 18, 2012 1:52 pm

*here we go again*
Last edited by ZaphodBurner on Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ZaphodBurner

Postby ZaphodBurner » Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:08 pm

Nipple wrote:Your posts always end with someone dying.

That's weird.

The previous two posts and a trivial check of the archives will also prove that it's false. Your comment is dishonest, personal and otherwise content-free. Weird is realizing the guy you spoke with in Wendy's kitchen and at the Slutgarden fundraisers was only there to kill his wife and all the people she was with which, it turns out, is exactly what he did.

You're campmates with my good friend Karma, are you not? Ask him if he knew Amy E, and ask him why his friends might be a little twitchy right now. Tell him Gatt asked you to, and tell him why.

In the meantime, it appears that we have a lot of common friends, which means you and I will inevitably have this conversation eye-to-eye, and you can be as dishonest and snarky as you want. In fact, you offered to buy me a beer and explain why I'm wrong. Edgefield, perhaps? See you around.
ZaphodBurner

Postby Nipple » Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:12 pm

The downside to posting only a couple sentences at a time, is that it leaves a lot of blank space for people to add extra content into my postings that I didn't put there myself.

I'm not making a personal attack on you, just an observation. I see your posts, and often they have dire warnings that someone is going to say something to the wrong person and end up dead. I find that a really weird repeated message.
Nipple

Postby Nipple » Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:26 pm

Beyond that: I have no hard feelings on my side. I haven't been dishonest with you. I'm sorry it seems that way to you.
Nipple

Postby Lord Of Ruin » Tue Sep 18, 2012 5:49 pm

ZaphodBurner wrote:
There is nothing in the world wrong with acting like a civilized human being. If standing in the dust and ripping tickets is hard, what about the Medical people? Their job is hard but you don't see them verbally-abusing people for dehydration. The DMV didn't verbally-abuse people for not having their paperwork or the right kind of lighting. The Rangers' job is even harder and they manage not to verbally-abuse anybody...maybe because the understand what "escalation" means.

If taking tickets is so hard that you have to hav a meltdown when people show up doing it wrong, go back to cutting hair or folding panties or typing memos or whatever it is you do in the real world. One of my coworkers couldn't come to the burn....blah blah blah

If you can't hack the gate, leave it to people who can. Just because somebody gives somebody a little bit of responsibility doesn't ENTITLE them to be a complete dick, even if their job IS ACTUALLY HARD. Plenty of lieutenants learned that in Vietnam when a frag rolled into their tent.

VOLUNTEERING AT BURNING MAN DOESN'T ENTITLE YOU TO BE ABUSIVE EVEN IF YOU THINK YOUR JOB IS HARD.

You don't seem to get a few things. One, Gate isn't there for your personal approval. They are there to do a job, and they do it well. Part of the demeanor and culture of Gate is the whole theater of it. Do you threaten everyone with too loud generators, a bullhorn or that catcalls a girl your with with implied physical violence as well?

Then there was your whole earlier rant re: the PTSD dangers of mouthing off. Gimme a break...so your position is that it's perfectly safe for someone to come to the Burn with PTSD where there are explosions, fireballs and sharpened steel art, but somehow someone speaking gruffly to them is gonna make them go beserk? Really? <rolls eyes>

The problem with your posts is you assume a metric fuckton about everyone involved that's oh...not you? You have no idea what experiences other people have at all. But that's a problem with Burning Man, see? Each person gets to do it their own way, not Zaphod's way.

Then you adopted someone else's complaint without changing the pronouns, and smugly pounced on everyone that replied clarifying that it WASN'T YOU that showed up early. Most people would easily make the mental adjustment then that the comments were intended for the offenders vs. you as the innocuous poster. But instead you took an odd position stradling the two positions: somehow Gate did their job and got you in punctually, but somehow they're the worst, power-drunk, Napoleonic mallcops that you're campmates ever encountered.

And finally, when invited to come on out and walk a mile in their shoes you artfully dodged it. Your sense of entitlement seeps out of your entire post; you're burnier than all of us, and because you bought your ticket everyone volunteering for the event should just shut the hell up and do their jobs to your satisfaction. Problem is, it's OUR event too ya know? You make root beer floats. Good on ya. We stand in the dust and do a menial crappy job so the event can afford to continue.
The fox provides for himself, but God provides for the lion - W. Blake (attribution corrected)
Lord Of Ruin

Postby ZaphodBurner » Tue Sep 18, 2012 5:50 pm

Nipple wrote:Beyond that: I have no hard feelings on my side. I haven't been dishonest with you. I'm sorry it seems that way to you.

Well, when this whole thing blew up after the burn, you said you were done talking about it in public so the first sentence is full of shit.

You've been dishonest with me because you said "Your posts always end with someone dying" which isn't true, which means your second sentence is full of shit. If I say "your posts always end with someone shitting" in a conversation about shitting, well... no shit.

You're obviously not sorry it seems that way because you're smart enough to know that your previous sentences were full of shit, which means the part about being "sorry" in the third sentence is patronizing and full of shit.

I'm not making a personal attack on you, just an observation. I see your posts, and this one is full of shit. Seems unusual for you. I find that really weird.

I said my piece. See you around.

ZaphodBurner

Postby Bob » Tue Sep 18, 2012 5:52 pm

Jesus fuck, people.
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
Bob

Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Postby BBadger » Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:03 pm

Whoa, did the record skip again?
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.
BBadger

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby ZaphodBurner » Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:35 pm

Lord Of Ruin wrote:You don't seem to get a few things.

You seem to think you're authoritative on the subject. Irony, isn't it?

Do your job like a decent human being and if you can't hack it, quit. The Rangers, Medics and toilet crews jobs are harder but they don't treat people like that. Does "walking a mile in your shoes" mean I get to verbally abuse people? Suck it the fuck up or go to Disneyland.

Lord of Ruin wrote: Your sense of entitlement seeps out of your entire post; you're burnier than all of us, and because you bought your ticket everyone volunteering for the event should just shut the hell up and do their jobs to your satisfaction. Problem is, it's OUR event too ya know? You make root beer floats..

I've never made a root beer float, but, what are facts, right? I've built castles, built a root beer SALOON, researched and written articles, ran shifts at the UNICOM, built mutant vehicles, ran LNT camps, distilled who knows how many gallons of absinthe over countless hours in a steamy room... Only been to five burns, but, I'm sure there's some Fucking Off and Chilling Out involved in there too. So when you're ready to do all of those things I'll be happy to do a Gate shift. I'm not complaining about any of what I do. That can be your deal. It's not hard, but, it's a lot.

Your...."sense of entitlement seeps out of your entire post." You're burnier than us, and because you work a gate shift you think you're ENTITLED to verbally abuse people.

We, the 57,000 ticket holding Burners, are entitled to be treated with respect if you expect it in return. If you can't do that, pray to The Man himself that guys like me DON'T volunteer for a Gate shift because if I do I'll heckle you and make your shit miserable until you throw a punch at me, or just let tell everybody my name is Lord of Ruin and let people in. OR, even better--what would really piss you off--is, I would do my job and treat people respectfully because, I don't know what it is you do in the real world but taking tickets and looking into people's RVs is not "hard."
Last edited by ZaphodBurner on Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ZaphodBurner

Postby clocksnmirrors » Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:47 pm

good thing there are message boards

i really doubt any of this drama would dare take place on a face-to-face basis

edit: :roll:
WEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeee heee heee heeeee! *burp*
clocksnmirrors

Burning Since: 2012

Postby piehole » Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:13 pm

BEST/WORST:

one morning around some ungodly hour, had to have been around 7AM because i was not burning hot in my tent, these people rolled into camp and started setting up next to us near 9:30 & E.

I wouldn't have heard them set up had they not been BLASTING MADONNA DUBSTEP and other various forms of horrible dubstep/shit music with their ginormous, non camp friendly sound system. this went on for literally minutes (at least 30, maybe even an hour). i wanted to get out and yell at them to shut up but instead i just bared with it because idk, i was probably hungover and didn't feel like getting up. they totally harshed all of our camp + our neighbor's mellows and were revered in a not so great way.

anyways the next morning, after catching the sunrise and hanging out at the temple for a couple hours, i return to camp and our awesome neighbor russel's box truck battery is dead and he has no power.

so i take it upon myself to find jumper cables for russel since he's been so awesome and friendly and giving the whole time so i figured i'd repay the favor. so guess who had jumper cables?

those dubstep blasting FUCKS. they were actually really nice and lent them to me right off the bat (go figure). so i borrow the cables, wake up my other neighbor otto since his car was closest to russels, back the car up so its within cabling distance, clipped em down, fired up ottos car and let it charge the box truck. after about 30 min the box truck regains power, rejoice, hallelujah, the whole shebang.

upon returning the cables, i told the guys that when they rolled into camp the other day with the loud and obnoxious music that they weren't very well liked and thanked them for not doing so this morning. they ended up loaning the system to the art car that was camped next to us (The Techno Turd), which was great because they were never intrusive or loud at the wee hours of the morning. they apologized and then i crowned them as the "dubstep karma angels". because at first, i hated them but then i realized they weren't so bad.

it truly is funny how things unfold on the playa
Start by doing what's necessary; then do what's possible; and suddenly you are doing the impossible.
piehole

Postby BBadger » Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:31 pm

Worst: seeing people using the term "harshed" in any context other than to make fun of hippies.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.
BBadger

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby piehole » Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:36 pm

bbadger you're completely harshing all of my mellows right now bro
Start by doing what's necessary; then do what's possible; and suddenly you are doing the impossible.
piehole

Postby theCryptofishist » Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:32 pm

Neek wrote:The Best

- Seeing a lot of friends from the last year
- Amazing art on the playa, deep playa, and within the boundaries of the city
- Apokilliptika bar and singing Soviet Anthems
- Fell in love 4 times
- Our camp shower in the middle of the kitchen area. People shower and have a conversation with the rest
- Sound camps and their line ups
- THE PEOPLE

The Worst

- Moop. seriously, it's been a bit too much. Maybe it's the amount of virgins, or something else; can't explain
- "SanFran weekend warriors" who come to the rave in the desert to chill with naked girls and stuff
- The amount of law enforcement. I know, I know, but it seemed like there were too many
- Trash bags on a road after Exodus. Picked up 3 bags.

Fuck, I missed that!
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Postby Lowz » Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:46 pm

- Fell in love 4 times

that's my worst .
John Clod
For the People
Suarez principle #23 " The Whims of The President and Chairman are final."
I feel every year fantastic, shitty and great days all.
Lowz

Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Club Neu Verboten

Postby MacGlenver » Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:21 am

Best: Getting back on topic
Worst: I missed Pier II, damn it!

Next year I'm making a list and will actually execute on it (unlike the last 2 years where I made a list and did none of it).
"just two indecisive cowboys, trying to play a word game." - piehole
"Just apply intelligence and discretion and you should be able to get away with just about anything." - Ugly Dougly
MacGlenver

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: I call this one 'Old Gregg'

Postby Patsh » Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:09 am

MacGlenver wrote:Next year I'm making a list and will actually execute on it (unlike the last 2 years where I made a list and did none of it).

Ya.... right.....
sure.
formerly, Triken

keep on triken' Mamma!
Triken' ma blues away....

Theatre is Life
Cinema is Art
Television is Furniture
Patsh

Postby AntiM » Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:25 am

I make lists. Sometimes they even make it to the playa. Sometimes I recall where I packed them. Sometimes I read them on Sunday.
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby Lonesomebri » Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:47 am

AntiM wrote:I make lists. Sometimes they even make it to the playa. Sometimes I recall where I packed them. Sometimes I read them on Sunday.

I always make lists, then burn them in the temple burn; the only thing on the list that actually gets done.
Lonesomebri

Burning Since: 1997
Camp Name: Camp Threat

Postby Savannah » Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:54 am

I made a list of things I wanted to do, per day, and a list of friends' addresses . . . and left it on a table at home . . .

Savannah

Postby graidawg » Wed Sep 19, 2012 3:24 pm

Lowz wrote:
- Fell in love 4 times

that's my worst .

I fell in love with individuals 5 times (3 of them the same person)
completely unconcerned.
"Savannah" I like it . . . it makes us sound forward-thinking, and not at all like trailblazing, professional-level procrastinors.
the rest of us are in the School of Fukkit. "Eric"
graidawg

Camp Name: Dread Pirate barbie

Postby RedHeaven » Wed Sep 19, 2012 3:38 pm

AntiM wrote:I make lists. Sometimes they even make it to the playa. Sometimes I recall where I packed them. Sometimes I read them on Sunday.

heh heh......I stopped making List Lists and started making Wish Lists instead

Anyone else never read the guide until they are cozy at home the weeks after on the toil?

I did 2 things from my Wish List this year. One, the BeeCharge afternoon party, was fucking amazing. The other was experience Bootie Mashup at Root, where I loved the music but did not enjoy my time in the rave tank. We did make up a hilarious joke that lasted the rest of the week, Casual Propane.
RedHeaven

Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Cirque Du Cliche 4:30 and Dandelion Wine

Postby Machina » Wed Sep 19, 2012 5:58 pm

Savannah wrote:
That is wooonderful. :D Thank you.

I was under a dome with a cover when it started raining, and remembered being confused by the spattering myself. :lol:

. . . Do you remember what time it was when that happened?

Yep, it was between 2 and 3 a.m. :D
Machina

Burning Since: 2010

Postby tamarakay » Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:05 pm

One of the best: Bbadger's dimples

I still can't think of a worst.
When the only tool you got is a hammer, every problem looks like a hippie.

Mmmmmm I love the smell of Burning Man Token

http://www.dyewithdignity.com
tamarakay

Camp Name: Dye with Dignity at BDC

Postby Savannah » Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:23 pm

Machina wrote:
Savannah wrote:
That is wooonderful. :D Thank you.

I was under a dome with a cover when it started raining, and remembered being confused by the spattering myself. :lol:

. . . Do you remember what time it was when that happened?

Yep, it was between 2 and 3 a.m. :D

Thank you!

tamarakay wrote:One of the best: Bbadger's dimples

I still can't think of a worst.

Hee. :D

Savannah

PreviousNext

Return to Experiences at Burning Man