Alright, let's hear the best and worst from 2012

Share your pictures and video. Tell us about the sights, sounds, and scents, as well as the rumors and truths found at Burning Man.

Re: Alright, let's hear the best and worst from 2012

Postby Bob » Sun Sep 16, 2012 6:00 pm

All I have to add is that maybe the Survival Guide should be issued in comic book format.

Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
Bob

Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Postby tamarakay » Sun Sep 16, 2012 6:07 pm

Ok, i have one regret and it is this. On our way in EE on Thursday about 4:00 and H, there was this couch sitting there all alone. I wanted to STOP RIGHT THEN and take pictures of Ken in all kinds of compromising positions with Bob. However, Ken the Sparkle Stallion was driving so we went on down to camp and set up. By the time we went back BOB had wandered off. Damn it.
When the only tool you got is a hammer, every problem looks like a hippie.

Mmmmmm I love the smell of Burning Man - Token

Getting overly dramatic about the ticket sale process is so 2012. - Maladroit

http://www.dyewithdignity.com
tamarakay

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity at BDC

Postby MyPlayaUserName » Sun Sep 16, 2012 6:39 pm

This is the rare case where I am finding Eplaya more 'burnerey' than than the playa itself!

Thank you Savannah, and all the other wonderful burners who kept me afloat that odd week. Burning Man may be evolving with the rest of the world, but I still have so much faith in the people who migrate to that darned desert. I am sorry for the people who have fallen prey to the bureaucracy of the event and are not able to still see the beauty it creates.

Douchey door men suck. And yeah guys, hours of fuss, with weeks of post-rumblings, all because of some fucking wood, with bark at BURNING MAN. So stupid.
While I definitely have found some strength from the whole experience in the long run, I still can't help but feel like I would never go like that again. I found a lot of pride in doing the burn solo in years past, seeing what I am capable of and being proud of my self-reliance, but I really can't bare to be in a situation again where I have basically taken my entire life on the road only to be barked at for having a face someone didn't like. Either I share the load,so I'm not being kicked out alone, or I take a year off and resume the life of a non-Burning Man based calendar,
MyPlayaUserName

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Ass Stamp Camp/ The Neighbourhood

Postby Savannah » Sun Sep 16, 2012 6:45 pm

It really doesn't hurt to take a year off. Many of us have done it . . . even willingly. (Those years were 2002 and 2004, for me. There were a few additional years I missed too, since becoming a Burner, but they were unwilling).

It's not that there aren't asshats everywhere in life, it's that the asshats you met were (somewhat) . . . out of context. Although . . . Gate is not known for being snuggly.*

Unless they know you real well, and are plied with beer.

* My Gate people were really nice.
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
Savannah

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby C187 » Sun Sep 16, 2012 7:25 pm

Savannah wrote:My Gate people were really nice.

That's because you patch them up. And happen to be awesome.
I have a little bit of Savannah with me. Shhh...
C187

Postby Savannah » Sun Sep 16, 2012 7:41 pm

C187 wrote:
Savannah wrote:My Gate people were really nice.

That's because you patch them up. And happen to be awesome.

Awwwwww . . .

*HUG*

. . . Stop that squirming, it's good for you.
Savannah

Postby ygmir » Sun Sep 16, 2012 8:32 pm

well........yeah MPUN, everything is not all snuggly and warm, worldly or burnerly.
There are 50K or so people that come through those gates.........the vast majority, read the books, know the "FEW" rules that exist, and have no worries.
A fair amount, come with a "radical entitlement" attitude, as in "the rules" don't apply to them...and get all shitty or whiney or cry baby, when called on it.
The gate personnel, are out in the elements (heat, dust, cold), are volunteers, dodging tired, altered drivers, as well as dealing with everyones "Issues"

"oh, I forgot"
"oh, I didn't know"
"no one told me" (like there's a radio program.....read the fucking info)"
"oh (batting eyes, showing breasts), do I really have to do that/can I just do it this once"
"fuck you, you're not a cop, I can do as I please, this is Burning Man, man".
"OH, it's just one little thing, really how can it matter, it's Burning Man" (what's "one little thing, times 30k, or whatever? It's a lot)

ad infinitum

this is all day, every day.
The gate personnel, are to be fast, efficient and professional. and, 99 percent of the time are.
But, from time to time, get fed up, with the lies and self entitled people.

And then you show up.
Not that anyone likes or dislikes you.
But, you have clearly, non allowed materials. period. it's printed and most folks know it.
and, I bet you were just all "oh, crap, I'm so sorry, jeeze, how can I fix this?".......yeah..........

you want a "break", because "this is Burning Man".....well, how about the gate folk? Where's their "break"?
so they got snarky!! Put your big boy panties on, address the problem, and move forward.
Don't sit in your sandbox and cry 'cause "the big guy was mean to me".

Gate, is not there to hug, or snuggle, or give you a wristy.
They are there, as part of a larger contract with BLM, to monitor numbers of people, and control banned materials, and substances, as is set out in this huge fooging document and contract.
you don't want them? then, zero out BRC from maps, 'cause BLM will not allow this, without them. And you certainly don't want "real" rangers or LEO, doing this job!!

and some is performance art......you may not "get it", but some folks practice their snark, costumes, attitudes just to be "over the top" as entertainment.......and sure, some of the more "sensitive" folks get their panties in a bunch, or cry, or whine.....but many have a ton of fun with it, interact, whatever.

They have no way of knowing you ,when you pull up.
They have no way, of knowing you are so "burney" and know all the rules and such
They have no way, of knowing you made a mistake by not cleaning your poles (insert pun)
But you pull up, and get all butt hurt, because the mean old man told you to fix your problem.
well, if you had an "ultra-sensitive" sticker on your bumper, maybe they could read it, and handle you nicer.

and please, don't take this rant as I, or any gate person, don't like and welcome you......we all do. It's just, it's a raw job, in a raw place, dealing with thousands of folks, each individual, each feeling their own sense of entitlements, rights, privilege or whatever.
Many wanting a "favor" or "just this one time".......
But, we all know, without participants, there is no BRC, and it's not lost on the VOLUNTEERS of gate, or any other dept.
but, we're human, too........well, sort of......

so, why not take it as an adult, as a lesson. yeah a little harsh (I'd say you fueled some of that), but it worked out fine.
learn, and next year, breeze through without a care.....but find a greeter to hug you, gate still won't!! :twisted:
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Postby SaritaSyrah » Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:10 pm

*pulls up ringside chair and grabs popcorn*
BURN SHIT!
SaritaSyrah

Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp and Wine Bistro

Postby Noboundaries » Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:23 pm

Best:
Everything in our birgin Monkey Hut tent camp worked beautifully.
The nice Nevada Highway Patrol officer who pulled us over for no license plate on a new trailer but sent us on our way with a smile and "have a good burn" once he saw everything was in order.
Expected a week of sleep deprivation but slept amazingly well once I closed my eyes.
Our friendly and welcoming neighbors who who shared their Makers Mark with me and happily consumed our gift of four gallons of ice cold margaritas.
The relatively mild weather and cooling afternoon breezes as we took our afternoon siestas.
The pirate ship and pier.
"Dave" at the BLM office.
The rain Thursday night.
The porta pottys being cleaned every morning.
The Temple Thursday morning, the memorials I read, the memorials I wrote, the memorials my wife wrote, and both of us sobbing uncontrollably in each other's arms, me shedding the first tears ever after my mother's passing almost six years ago.

Worst:
The trash on the side of the road when leaving the playa.
You are always smaller than anything that upsets you. Remain calm and solutions with boundless possibility will find your heart.
Noboundaries

Postby Elderberry » Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:29 pm

We usually bring two chilled 6 packs, one for the gate and one for the greeters. Other than sometimes walking on things in the truck we'd rather they not step on, we've never had a problem. Though I have to add that we never had a problem before we started bringing them beer. We just do it because we like to.
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
Elderberry

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby piehole » Sun Sep 16, 2012 11:03 pm

SaritaSyrah wrote:*pulls up ringside chair and grabs popcorn*

*pulls up a chair next to you and steals some of your popcorn*

Speaking of Popcorn.....

BEST: Popcorn from that popcorn stand at the 3:00 plaza next to BRC3P0
Start by doing what's necessary; then do what's possible; and suddenly you are doing the impossible.
piehole

Postby Jax Dee » Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:51 am

piehole wrote:

Speaking of Popcorn.....

I didn't want to get in the long ass line but seriously just passing by and SMELLING that place was so wonderful it brought a smile to my face.
May All Beings Be Well
May All Beings Be Happy
May All Beings Be Free From Suffering
-Buddhist Blessing
Jax Dee

Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Dye With Dignity

Postby MacGlenver » Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:55 am

Jax Dee wrote:
piehole wrote:

I didn't want to get in the long ass line but seriously just passing by and SMELLING that place was so wonderful it brought a smile to my face.

Not sure if it was the same guy, but someone with a trike was handing out tons of popcorn and they had about 20 different spices/flavors you could add. Black pepper bonanza!
"just two indecisive cowboys, trying to play a word game." - piehole
"Just apply intelligence and discretion and you should be able to get away with just about anything." - Ugly Dougly
MacGlenver

Camp Name: I call this one 'Old Gregg'

Postby Nipple » Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:59 am

Mark Corrigan wrote:...if there isn't room here for people who stand against everything you believe in, then what sort of a hippy free-for-all is this?
Nipple

Postby jjayg » Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:27 am

Jax Dee wrote:
piehole wrote:

Speaking of Popcorn.....

There wasn't always a line! Living at 3:15 and Begonia was NICE! Fried bologna sandwiches, cereal from the cereal bar, popcorn and ice!

What was best from 2012: EVERYTHING

What was worst: NOTHING! (Ok, the massive moopiness around the sound camps got unnerving but I personally love the sound camps so we just picked up as much as we could - which causes a chain reaction btw- and continued to dance and dance and dance!)
Home is where the heart is.
jjayg

Camp Name: Smorgasm

Postby skippy3k » Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:29 am

Fiver wrote:
Bmac101 wrote:
skippy3k wrote:Best

1. We were 40, the "kids" next to us were in their early 20's. We couldn't make it past 3am. They consistently saw the sunrise. We were in an trailer. They had tents and cooked food in the dirt. We were relatively sober. Many of them weren't. But they were the best bunch of "kids" we met and thoroughly enjoyed their company and living next to them. In many ways, I hope my real kids grow up to posses many of their qualities. A perfect example of two cultures coming together. We really enjoyed taking care of them throughout the week...it helped ease the separation anxiety of being away from our own kids.

2. The amazing rehydration mocktails my wife was making. I hope she remembers how she made them, 'cause I'm addicted.

3. The weather. A little hot, a little dusty, a little rain, a little wind. A little of everything. It was a nice sampler.

I wouldn't say this is the "worst", but;

1. To the dude on 8:15 and Iris...just because you have a megaphone doesn't mean everything you say is witty. So when people didn't respond to your "wit", you don't need to sound like a petulant child each time. That is just admitting defeat. Oh, and burping into the megaphone gets old after 7 days.

2. Those fucking gas powered scooters. Fuck. I would hear them coming and expect to see a cool art car, only to see some yahoo barreling down the street. Too lazy to ride a bike? Then walk. Too lazy to walk? Then don't come.

3. Darkwads. Yes, I read the Darkwad thread. Great, you guys have better "night-vision" than most. Good for you. But are you able to see behind you? Because I can't count how many times I almost wiped you out as you sauntered leisurely down the middle of the street at night.

Those guys were behind us. They weren't burping that was the "Fuck Camp" they were saying fuck.

Fuck Camp was across the street from us, those guys were awesome. Yes, they weren't burping, they were saying "Fuck". Nice guys and DJ Damien provided a awesome soundtrack for our camp all week. We had multiple bull horns in our camp as well, but were smart enough to only use them sparingly. I can see how they could get annoying.
(Whoever had the gas powered scooter in that neighborhood was annoying tho.)

Just to clarify, I know it wasn't Fuck Camp. Fuck Camp was witty. I walked to the Porta-Pottie one morning and they began harassing me for being white trash. I realized I was wearing a white tank top and a cowboy hat and boots....looking very white trash. Another time they yelled out I should be wearing less clothing. I started to take my shirt off. They then yelled out "well, on second thought maybe more clothing is good". Well played, I thought.

The "camp" I was referring to was right on the corner of 8:15 and Iris.
I'm a fixer. I fix things.
skippy3k

Burning Since: 2009

Postby theCryptofishist » Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:31 am

piehole wrote:

Speaking of Popcorn.....

Midnight Popcorn Palace.

Random thought: I drove out behind their trailor? vehicle? The left tail light was out. I hope they got that fixed...
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Postby Lord Of Ruin » Mon Sep 17, 2012 2:34 pm

jkisha wrote:We usually bring two chilled 6 packs, one for the gate and one for the greeters. Other than sometimes walking on things in the truck we'd rather they not step on, we've never had a problem. Though I have to add that we never had a problem before we started bringing them beer. We just do it because we like to.

As a follow up to this...

JKisha, have you had the "stepping on/breaking stuff" problem in the last three or so years with Gate? Gate does a lot of training to avoid this, and we do our best to be fast and not hurt everything. This is not always possible, especially when people pack vehicles leaving only space for their occupants, etc.

LoR
The fox provides for himself, but God provides for the lion - W. Blake (attribution corrected)
Lord Of Ruin

Postby Monkey Gurl » Mon Sep 17, 2012 5:17 pm

The best was ice cream for breakfast as I biked back from the Temple...

The worst was getting home and wishing I stayed longer.

The best was a visit to Dilated Peoples. Heaven!!!

The worst was missing the Temple burn. Again. Dammit.

The best was being available when someone needed me.

The worst was not knowing who to ask for help, and then, FLIP, the best was getting help without having to ask!!!!

It's all good.

8)

MG
Monkey Gurl

Postby clocksnmirrors » Mon Sep 17, 2012 6:54 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:
piehole wrote:

Speaking of Popcorn.....

Midnight Popcorn Palace.

i carried a suitcase around. in it i had a butane mini stove, a pot, a bottle of oil, and a nice big bag of yellow popping corn.

ended up stopping by my neighbors across the street and popping it.

so effin delicious with a sprinkle of sea salt!!! the playa was made for popcorn
oops i made a mistake! making mistakes is part of growing up....
clocksnmirrors

Postby Jax Dee » Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:45 pm

BEST: looking all week for my high school best friend, heading to temple wed night, being a little bummed to be alone as i placed some special items...and then I hear her voice like an angel rising out of the temple in a heartwrenching song for a lost friend, running in and sinking to my knees to hug her as she finished her beautiful singing, and then turning teary eyed to each other with big smiles and whispering I am so glad I found you HERE.

WORST: watching some poor guy beat up and dragged off an art car, having to go clear the circle of concerned but milling/tripping people and tell someone to find a ranger/leo/medic immediately, taking vitals only to find him completely unresponsive, pupils won't dilate, mouth busted and bloody from beating, thready pulse, and occasional tremors, then having to give my witness statement and try to leave him to the professionals, who I must say I was very happy with. The leos showed first. Kept a clear perimeter, and after establishing who I was and that I knew what I was doing, were respectful, helpful, and did just as I asked them as we waited for the professional medics to come. They thanked me and let me get on with my evening once I could be of no more help. I really hope that guy was ok in the end because no one deserves the way he was tossed off that car.
May All Beings Be Well
May All Beings Be Happy
May All Beings Be Free From Suffering
-Buddhist Blessing
Jax Dee

Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Dye With Dignity

Postby Machina » Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:25 pm

Best: Thursday night (Friday morning) dancing in the Womb at Root Society, and suddenly being insanely confused about why someone was misting people at night... then thinking that maybe it was a water gun, or someone was spitting... THEN realizing that holy fuck, it was raining. Looked around, and everyone else was going through the same thought process ("Where is this water coming from?") and coming to the same realization at once. Then, everyone collectively flipped out, raised up their arms, and rain-danced.

Worst: A crap ton of darktards on bikes.
Machina

Burning Since: 2010

Postby ohCarie » Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:41 pm

BEST

The people of Barbie Death Camp--man, they blew me away! Real class act.
After feeling bummed for hating everything I brought and feeling boring compared to everyone else, a guy literally jumped off his bike to run over to me to say "corset girl, you're doing it right!" That really made my week. :D
Staying mostly sober so I can remember everything (and no hangover!)
The wonderful burner (Simona?) who hosted a picnic in deep playa with salami, pickles, vodka, and johnny cash music that we stumbled upon on Sunday afternoon right when we were at the height of thirst and melancholia for the penultimate day of our adventure.
All the people I met, some of whom travel 1000's of miles to get there.
Watching my partner have the burn of his life.
Great gifts from new friends.
Exodus and entry were so fast!
Coming back to find all my pets alive and well.

WORST

Worrying about my pets, especially one who had a close call the day before we left.
Staying way too sober.
All the darkwads, some even refused gifted lights due to "night-vision" or some b.s.
The roads near 4:00 and the blank spots up front where camps should? have been.
The pier 2, it seemed like a destination almost like an attraction at a theme park instead of the simple, perfect blank canvas for playa art to come alive around.
Not seeing most of the friends who made burns #1 and 2 awesome, even though they were there somewhere.
Bringing all the wrong clothes.
Letting worries affect my having the burn of my life.
Not giving out my gifts as much as I wanted to.
Seeing all the trash on the hwy.
"It's not that I'm so old, it's that I'm so drunk." -Felony
ohCarie

Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: BDC

Postby maladroit » Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:17 pm

Regarding trash on the highway...yeah, it sucks. I had one external trash bag, it was triple contractor bagged and securely wired between my bike and the car. It did not budge an inch. Next year I'll plan to not have anything external. But a lot of the stuff on the side of the road looked dumped. Otherwise...wouldn't a lot of it be in the middle of the road?

Maybe this will ease your frustration. You're probably not ALLOWED to stop by the highway, put up yellow strobes, and cart out truckloads of material. BMORG has a volunteer team for that, who get all the catharsis of helping a littered highway become pristine again. We aren't being bombarded with pleas for more volunteers, so they currently have a handle on it. Just do your part to educate and shame your moopy neighbors, and keep an eye out for any requests for volunteers next year if they need them.
maladroit

Postby Savannah » Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:28 pm

Machina wrote:Best: Thursday night (Friday morning) dancing in the Womb at Root Society, and suddenly being insanely confused about why someone was misting people at night... then thinking that maybe it was a water gun, or someone was spitting... THEN realizing that holy fuck, it was raining. Looked around, and everyone else was going through the same thought process ("Where is this water coming from?") and coming to the same realization at once. Then, everyone collectively flipped out, raised up their arms, and rain-danced.

That is wooonderful. :D Thank you.

I was under a dome with a cover when it started raining, and remembered being confused by the spattering myself. :lol:

. . . Do you remember what time it was when that happened?

clocksnmirrors wrote:i carried a suitcase around. in it i had a butane mini stove, a pot, a bottle of oil, and a nice big bag of yellow popping corn.

ended up stopping by my neighbors across the street and popping it.

so effin delicious with a sprinkle of sea salt!!! the playa was made for popcorn

ohmygodwhydoyourulesohard? :lol:

Savannah

Postby Neek » Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:50 pm

The Best

- Seeing a lot of friends from the last year
- Amazing art on the playa, deep playa, and within the boundaries of the city
- Apokilliptika bar and singing Soviet Anthems
- Fell in love 4 times
- Our camp shower in the middle of the kitchen area. People shower and have a conversation with the rest
- Sound camps and their line ups
- THE PEOPLE

The Worst

- Moop. seriously, it's been a bit too much. Maybe it's the amount of virgins, or something else; can't explain
- "SanFran weekend warriors" who come to the rave in the desert to chill with naked girls and stuff
- The amount of law enforcement. I know, I know, but it seemed like there were too many
- Trash bags on a road after Exodus. Picked up 3 bags.
Neek

Camp Name: Disorient

Postby d6 » Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:48 am

working midnite popcorn palace 13 straight years on thursday, with a perfect line of sight for the electrical storm, miniman wed. night and being able to hug so many
your witty rejoinder just flew over my head.....

no trust fund getting supply buying self-reliant non-bankrolled questionable artistic contributor sacrificing electronics at will build it destroy it clean it haul it financially uninterested uber-bot
d6

Postby Ugly Dougly » Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:33 am

ygmir wrote:so, why not take it as an adult, as a lesson. yeah a little harsh (I'd say you fueled some of that), but it worked out fine.
learn, and next year, breeze through without a care.....but find a greeter to hug you, gate still won't!! :twisted:

(Glances around awkwardly.)

(((Ygmir)))
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Postby Savannah » Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:01 am

I got hugs from at least three Gate people this year. :mrgreen:

They just like to be wined and dined first.

Mostly wined.

Savannah

Postby Nipple » Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:22 pm

On the topic of Gate Hugs...

Best: ...

This will take a moment.

Left after the temple burn. Dressed in the most reasonable clothing I had left that was undestroyed. A GPE hoodie, shirt, and shorts.

On our way out of the city, the lead car radios that they're going to Collexodus. I follow. Upon pulling in, there's a gruff DPW guy right in my face saying, "HEY! You here to donate, or are you trying to follow someone out of the city?"

"I brought you... "

I turn, and reflexively grab the can of soup that has been riding on the car *facepalm* all the way from 2:45 and G, and hold it out directly to the DPW guy and the three standing behind him. It is the perfect can of soup. Lid pried open and a spoon sticking out of it, like I had stolen it from a cartoon hobo.

"SOUP!"

The DPW guy and the three behind him lock eyes on this soup that I have produced via magic trick from the roof of my car.

The guy in front of me cheers and grabs it. "HEY! WE'VE BEEN WAITING FOR THIS!" He turns and shows the people behind him, "HEY! WE GOT SOME SOUP!"

They all cheer.

I go around to the other side of the car and grab out a box of cookies, and beer and various other foods.

Then the DPW guy looks at me and says, "Oh hey... You're gate... Lets hug it out."

... and then we did.

✓ - Get hugged by a gruff DPW guy.
Last edited by Nipple on Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nipple

PreviousNext

Return to Experiences at Burning Man