message to the burner who burned the "rogue" car

Share your pictures and video. Tell us about the sights, sounds, and scents, as well as the rumors and truths found at Burning Man.

Postby blyslv » Mon Sep 15, 2003 4:25 pm

Oh, man I can't believe the machine gun car was torched! It provided one of the constant sonic references my first year at the burn. Surreal and chilling.
Fight for the fifth freedom!
blyslv

Postby diane o'thirst » Fri Oct 03, 2003 8:27 pm

tbone wrote:
PJ wrote:
tbone wrote:I've shot at propane tanks. In bonfires made of giant piles of magneseum shavings (a 55 gallon drum of them) and 5 gallons of gas...

Someday, if I get to know you, I might forgive you for doing that without inviting me.

Here's what it looks like.

:shock: [blink, blink, blink]
:shock: [blink]
:shock: [blink, blink...blinkblinkblink]
And so on...
ImageImageImage
diane o'thirst

Postby diane o'thirst » Fri Oct 03, 2003 8:34 pm

Badger wrote:So what caliber do you suggest?

A simple Glaser round should suffice.
ImageImageImage
diane o'thirst

Postby Kinetic » Fri Oct 03, 2003 8:42 pm

blyslv wrote:Oh, man I can't believe the machine gun car was torched! It provided one of the constant sonic references my first year at the burn. Surreal and chilling.

If they ever made a "soundtrack to BRC", Rogue's gun would have to be in it. When I finally made it to BRC in 02, that was the first sound effect I heard. "What the fuck was that" was my first thought, and it drew me out of my camp and onto the Esplanade....

I sure hope he rebuilds it, and this might inspire controversy but if the ORG helped out behind the scenes, that would be welcome too. I know...it sets a bad precedent but that was not an ordinary car, even an ordinary art car.
Kinetic

adoracion de violente

Postby dis=c0! » Sat Oct 04, 2003 3:42 am

why am i not surprised that this vehicle met a violent end? talk about karma. :roll:

and the wheel rolls on.
dis=c0!
.t3chno
dis=c0!

Postby Badger » Sat Oct 04, 2003 4:01 am

I loved that car. Almost as if were my child.

As if I had a child - or that car.

What were we saying about hippies? [url]http://www.boners.com/grub/790470.html
[/url]
Desert dogs drink deep.

Badger

oh sure

Postby dis=c0! » Sat Oct 04, 2003 10:22 am

no doubt, the car is bad as fuck.

but who the hell wants to go to malaysia?
dis=c0!
.t3chno
dis=c0!

Postby Todd in Seattle » Sat Oct 04, 2003 3:22 pm

For me, one of the real highlights of '03 was on Sunday when I finally got up close to the "rogue". I had been hearing that beast all over town for 2 years and never saw the damn thing. I'd hear it way over in that direction; then when I was over there, I'd hear it way over in the other direction. I figured it was never meant to be. However, on Sunday, I was minding someone else's business when I heard the rogue let off a short burst just down the block. I knew just what to do. I grabbed the last of my cold Tecates and waited in the middle of the road. When she arrived I flagged down the friendly crew and started passing out the Tecates. Then I begged them to shoot me, and they were happy to comply with a REALLY nice long burst right to the heart. I couldn't stop smiling for the rest of the day, and I still smile when I think of it.

I realize some people didn't like the rogue. Fuck 'em. I thought she was beautiful and her presence was a great gift to the citizens of Black Rock.

I don't believe for one damned second that "karma" had anything to do with the destruction of the rogue.
Todd in Seattle

Postby dis=c0! » Sat Oct 04, 2003 3:27 pm

Todd in Seattle wrote:I don't believe for one damned second that "karma" had anything to do with the destruction of the rogue.

like i said, rogue was fucking badass. i agree that karma had nothing to do with it, but invoking "karma" on its destructors is plain silly.

my posts respond to misapplication of principle in a conversation.
not, hands-in-the air-why-did-you-do-this-to-my-art-car-lord-WHY?

it is what it is
you are what you it
there are no mistakes
Last edited by dis=c0! on Sat Oct 04, 2003 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dis=c0!
.t3chno
dis=c0!

Postby Kinetic » Sat Oct 04, 2003 3:32 pm

Since my e-playa search came up empty, if someone wanted to chip in to help pay for reconstruction....does anyone know of an address for Kevin where money could be sent? There may be others who would like to help.

As for karma...you have your beliefs, I have mine. And it's ok to disagree on things. I'm sticking with my beliefs on the subject. It's one of the few things I don't yield on.
Kinetic

Postby Bob » Mon Oct 06, 2003 12:44 pm

Just for the record, I was about 150 feet away during the entire 50-cal. car conflagration and fire crew response -- asleep in a chair in front of Carp Camp, right next door. Sheesh. There isn't a burn, opera, or lecture by Larry I haven't slept through.

Definitely sucks. It's a rare antisocial type that would do such a thing, if it was indeed arson. Heard the car had a variety of bottled gases on board that could have torpedoed straight into the camping area under the right circumstances, but I could be wrong.

I believe there might have been some oddball fallout re: DPW addressing the issue of possible hazardous waste left behind, but I'd be surprised if anyone could find trace of the spot now without GPS coords.
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
Bob

Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Postby TheJudge » Tue Oct 07, 2003 10:32 am

Looking at the post-fire photos, it looks like it could be rebuilt. Maybe the fire just added a little bit of extra character to the car!
"Be at one with the dust of the earth. This is primal union." - Lao Tsu
TheJudge

Postby shitmouse » Tue Oct 07, 2003 12:04 pm

problem is dsrtfaery,

the no-brainer dork that started that fire certainly doesn't have the intellect or capacity to read and participate in online forums.......

just follow the trail of bud cans......
-b
Last edited by shitmouse on Tue Oct 07, 2003 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
=-=-= \<>/ =-=-=
shitmouse

Postby playasnake » Tue Oct 07, 2003 12:27 pm

coors light more likely... or miller. dont badmouth the elvis of beers.

boy
u
deserve
what
every
individual
should
enjoy
regularly

anyway, i was right there too, at carp. im still not sure that it was arson... MAP is some volatile shit... but i dont really know either way. one of my camp mates has it all on video though... apparently the tires were flat long before the fire could have gotten to them....

just thought i would contribute to this conflaguration of conjecture
e pluribus unimog
playasnake

Postby shitmouse » Tue Oct 07, 2003 2:44 pm

ok, coors it is.
-(i did some photo-retouch work for them on a poster girl enlarging her breasts a few years ago. we put a good 10 hours in on one breast enlarging it. in that same week i shit you not, peter coors was quoted from my studio mate on their web site "we sell beer not boobs". i'm still laughing. out of disgust fo course).
-b
=-=-= \<>/ =-=-=
shitmouse

Postby playasnake » Tue Oct 07, 2003 5:20 pm

i used to work on coors light commercials when i was younger... the director always made sure that there were a pair of boobs near any place the product was located...
e pluribus unimog
playasnake

Postby glam_daddy » Tue Oct 07, 2003 5:47 pm

can someone post a linkl to the page where the photos before/after of the rougue car are.

it was in a JRS but i deleted it...

thanks in advance
glam_daddy

rogue pics

Postby starfive » Tue Oct 07, 2003 6:22 pm

photos of rogue before and after..

http://www.tanyaregan.com/Rogue/

and someone asked where they could send money if they wanted to help..

On a more positive note, the artist has decided to rebuild Rogue, pending available funds. He is currently working feverishly to obtain the approximately $6000 required to repair and rebuild this piece. If you enjoyed Rogue and would like to help out, donations are being accepted through PayPal.
Use the e-mail address: rogue_inquiry@hotmail.com
Rogue was a performance art piece that brought some extreme responses both positive and negative. It lived a short but intense life, including a recent road trip across the US.
starfive

Re: message to the burner who burned the "rogue" c

Postby Apollonaris Zeus » Sat Jul 10, 2004 11:18 pm

dsrtfaery wrote:To whoever felt the need... I hope that your BM experience was enhanced and made better when you decided to burn an art car on the playa. I am sorry for whatever annoyance or injustice you felt you had to right. And again, I hope it was a personal highlight for you on the playa. However, I thought you should know that it had propane tanks on it, and if they had exploded in the blaze, the surrounding area and everyone in it for up to 150 feet would have been seriously injured or killed by shrapnel.
Next time, I hope you can feel the ultimate experience out there without potential deadly action against anyone or their possesions. :( I was not there on the playa this year, for many reasons, but one was the vibe that I had gotten that was a lot more negative than it had been in previous years. "Rogue" was annoying to me last year too - the owner is not my friend. BUT, I believe that was one of the saddest pieces of news I heard regarding the year that I missed, and I hope that you got it all out of your system this year, so that if you decide to come back, you will not feel the need to destroy someone elses art. Burn your own next time - its a much more satisfying experience and it wont harm many other burners or their experiences out there. I hope its better for you in the real world now.

Just want you to know, we haven't forgotten, whomever you are?

A II Z
Apollonaris Zeus

Previous

Return to Experiences at Burning Man