Reno Day-trippers - wtf

Share your pictures and video. Tell us about the sights, sounds, and scents, as well as the rumors and truths found at Burning Man.

Reno Day-trippers - wtf

Postby vagabond » Fri Aug 03, 2012 12:11 am

At the 2011 burn, I ran into a group of people who were apparently brought in by bus from Reno, just for the day. Not journalists, mind you, just ordinary middle-aged folk. And don't get me wrong, they were quite nice and genuinely curious, but...who sanctioned this? This smacks of the worst of eco-tourism where outsiders come to gawk at the natives. Perhaps the (otherwise giant cluster-f that was this year's) ticketing system means that no "tour operators" could get a stash of tickets, but I really hope this was not some warped sense of community engagement by the powers that be. Connecting with locals in Nixon or Gerlach is one thing -- we caravan through their otherwise placid towns and we should give them some chance to see what all the fuss is about. But Reno-ites? Someone please tell me this is not to be repeated. This is not radical inclusion.
vagabond

Burning Since: 2008

Re: Reno Day-trippers - wtf

Postby some seeing eye » Fri Aug 03, 2012 2:12 am

You mean they brought county and state voters that could vote the event out of existence? Sounds like a call for radical outrage illusion!
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion
some seeing eye

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Woo

Postby Ugly Dougly » Fri Aug 03, 2012 9:57 am

Why can't locals have a peek at the shenanigans without having to commit to a week of playa life?
There was a time when this was weekend-only event, and it was free.
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Postby brcprincess » Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:04 pm

I saw a couple of tour buses pull up on to the edge of the Playa just near center camp last year full of middle aged people. They put out lawn chairs and watched everyone. It reminded me of people watching animals at the zoo. I didn't like it. I was actually kind of upset about it, like they brought in tour buses to watch the freak show.
brcprincess

Postby trilobyte » Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:22 pm

Moving this to Experiences on the Playa. With so little information about your experience from last year, it's difficult to say whether or not this was a busload of folks from neighboring communities coming in on a community outreach program or not. But yeah, Burning Man invites members of the surrounding communities to come see what kind of amazing artful things people get up to around here.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby lucky420 » Sat Aug 04, 2012 1:57 pm

brcprincess
I saw a couple of tour buses pull up on to the edge of the Playa just near center camp last year full of middle aged people. They put out lawn chairs and watched everyone. It reminded me of people watching animals at the zoo. I didn't like it. I was actually kind of upset about it, like they brought in tour buses to watch the freak show.

Did you take the time to say "Hello"? Most of these people are actually very nice. And by being allowed to come up and see what it's all about spreads good feeling in the communities here along the way to BRC. If it bothers you, move on as there's lots of other shiny stuff to go see...
Oh my god, it's HUGE!
lucky420

Burning Since: I'm not sure
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Postby theCryptofishist » Sat Aug 04, 2012 5:46 pm

lucky420 wrote:
brcprincess

Did you take the time to say "Hello"? Most of these people are actually very nice. And by being allowed to come up and see what it's all about spreads good feeling in the communities here along the way to BRC. If it bothers you, move on as there's lots of other shiny stuff to go see...

lucky--
She's a princess.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby theCryptofishist » Sat Aug 04, 2012 6:47 pm

I'm sorry I said that...
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby FeetOfClay » Sat Aug 04, 2012 7:45 pm

I, for one, am kind of hoping that community members stop by the event on their buses: I would want to smile and talk to them, pose for pictures with them, and show love.

It's kinda like how I always go out of my way to hold doors for old people when my tattoos are showing: what better way to reverse stereotypes and alleviate fear of the unknown than surprising people with kindness? and it goes both ways: just because those old people on the bus are not actual "burners" does not mean they are bad or boring people...

remember the episode of Seinfeld where Elaine starts taking care of an old woman (who she assumes to be boring and repulsive) only to discover that the woman had an affair with Ghandi, and Elaine is riveted to hear the stories?

"He used to put oil on his bald head and rub it all over my body..." :twisted:
What is this quintessence of dust?
FeetOfClay

Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Anonymous Village

Postby Bob » Sat Aug 04, 2012 8:36 pm

vagabond wrote:At the 2011 burn, I ran into a group of people who were apparently brought in by bus from Reno, just for the day. Not journalists, mind you, just ordinary middle-aged folk. And don't get me wrong, they were quite nice and genuinely curious, but...who sanctioned this? This smacks of the worst of eco-tourism where outsiders come to gawk at the natives. Perhaps the (otherwise giant cluster-f that was this year's) ticketing system means that no "tour operators" could get a stash of tickets, but I really hope this was not some warped sense of community engagement by the powers that be. Connecting with locals in Nixon or Gerlach is one thing -- we caravan through their otherwise placid towns and we should give them some chance to see what all the fuss is about. But Reno-ites? Someone please tell me this is not to be repeated. This is not radical inclusion.

Your avatar looks like an asshole. Coincidence?
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
Bob

Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Postby Bob » Sat Aug 04, 2012 8:36 pm

brcprincess wrote:I saw a couple of tour buses pull up on to the edge of the Playa just near center camp last year full of middle aged people. They put out lawn chairs and watched everyone. It reminded me of people watching animals at the zoo. I didn't like it. I was actually kind of upset about it, like they brought in tour buses to watch the freak show.

And you're becoming entirely predictable.
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
Bob

Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Postby pink » Sun Aug 05, 2012 12:46 am

Da princess is Creeped out by 'middle aged people'? She shouldn't come to burning man then. We're all over the place!
I'm not a slut, I'm good time floozy!
pink

Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Retrofrolic

Postby brcprincess » Sun Aug 05, 2012 6:12 am

Man you guys are judgmental :(

Sorry to disappoint those of you calling me agist, but it had nothing to do with the peoples ages.

I think it's pretty clear from my post I was freaked out seeing Greyhound tour buses pulling up on to the Playa and tourists (most of them actually stayed inside the buses) peering out and staring at the Burners like they were animals in the zoo. It was creepy to me, and to my group and so we moved on.
brcprincess

Postby Sham » Sun Aug 05, 2012 6:42 am

Damn middle aged people!
I recall seeing the Gerlach Senior Citizen's buss driving on the open playa a few years back. It was really priceless seeing all the geriatric faces pressed against the windows when they saw a naked person. No problem what so ever with that. They chose to come out and see this event, and some nudity is part of it. This is Burning Man and if they are able to get some sort of sneak peek at this legendary event, then more power to them.

During a Wednesday naked bike ride and pub crawl, a senior was driving directly into the mob of bicycles coming towards them. In my deepest authoritative voice, I told her to stop the car and put it in park until all the bikes passed. She was definitely going to kill someone there. It's much safer to put them in a bus and drive them around. :roll:
Sham

Postby BBadger » Sun Aug 05, 2012 1:12 pm

I'm always too busy and entertained to be bothered by such things there.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.
BBadger

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby graidawg » Sun Aug 05, 2012 2:05 pm

old people in buses coming to see the freaks? yes please, the only way it could be better is if we interacted with them to show them what an amazing thing burning man is, when all the influences of modern society are put aside and we create a community of 50,000+ people. I would be interested to see how many of them come year after year or even come for the week after seeing what we do.
burning man may not be for everyone but if everyone can see the truly amazing shit people do just because they want to perhaps, just perhaps we can influence the rest of the world into being a better place. Don't be disturbed by people coming to see us be pleased and put on a show of how amazing BM is
FREE THE SHERPAS
Burners with torches is right and natural and just.-fishy.
CATCH AND RELEASE.
graidawg

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Dread Pirate barbie

Postby AntiM » Mon Aug 06, 2012 7:02 am

One hell of an art project, huh?
we were riding the crest of a high and beautiful wave. . . .
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Return to Experiences at Burning Man