BLM monitoring oil drip on playa

Share your pictures and video. Tell us about the sights, sounds, and scents, as well as the rumors and truths found at Burning Man.

BLM monitoring oil drip on playa

Postby teardropper » Tue Jul 31, 2012 5:37 am

This year the BLM will be doing a small study of the effects of oil dripping from the motors and rear ends of vehicles in BRC. samples will be taken from specific and random areas. My first Burn I heard something about preventing oil drip and brought a couple peices of cardboard that I nailed under those two spots. I found only a couple of spots with only a small amount of oil. Since then, I have had work done one the rear end, with new gaskets and wheel seals and a new pan gasket on the engine. Though I can't detect any oil, I believe I will do the cardboard again. I wonder if we should include some type of shielding (what kind is best?) in our leave no trace protocol? What do you think? If BLM detects oil drip on playa, they may require some action. Should we try to get in front of this?
\^/
/..\ Furthur
teardropper

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: The late Lazy Fucks. Now Orphan Eaters.

Re: BLM monitoring oil drip on playa

Postby ygmir » Tue Jul 31, 2012 7:17 am

I'd have to wonder, as far as scale goes, if it'd matter?
vehicles drive all over the playa most of the year, dripping leaking and spilling.
Of course, we should do what we can, and that cardboard idea is a good idea, IMHO, because it will absorb it directly and leave no real chance of it going anywhere.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Postby BBadger » Tue Jul 31, 2012 7:25 am

First check your own driveway for drip areas to determine if you have a problem.. If it can't be fixed, at the playa I'd nail down a pan under the drip location to catch the oil, maybe with some cardboard too, to prevent splashing.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.
BBadger

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby theCryptofishist » Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:15 am

The previous study was referenced in the permitting EA.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Postby Ugly Dougly » Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:27 am

I wonder if AfterBurn has documented any oil spots or if BLM is just keeping a bargaining chip...
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Postby BBadger » Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:42 pm

The oil drips are the root cause of all the dunes that ruin the windsurfing experience!
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.
BBadger

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby lemur » Tue Jul 31, 2012 5:05 pm

fuck yer obscure sport, hippie.

i want to go do a shitload of drugs and blow shit up.
Don't link to anything here!
lemur

Camp Name: Plug N Play Camp

Postby teardropper » Tue Jul 31, 2012 5:23 pm

Ugly Dougly wrote:I wonder if AfterBurn has documented any oil spots or if BLM is just keeping a bargaining chip...

Can't be totally sure, but I think not on documentation. It sounded like an "I wonder if..." type of question.

Yeah, Yggy, cardboard sounded better than tarp. It absorbed the few drips I saw. My rig mat be old ('77), but it ain't junk. I keep it up for self protection. But some stuff I see in BRC - makes you wonder if they make it back.

As far as the playa sailing... obscure, maybe, but those things are fast. And cool.
\^/
/..\ Furthur
teardropper

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: The late Lazy Fucks. Now Orphan Eaters.

Postby theCryptofishist » Tue Jul 31, 2012 6:32 pm

No. They did a survey a few years ago and found oil. This is a follow up.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Postby trilobyte » Tue Jul 31, 2012 6:41 pm

The oil drip study absolutely does matter. The last one was in 2002 and is outdated, I think that regardless of the outcome it's important to update the data. Very important for future environmental impact studies (it was a factor in the one that was just released in March). They'll select a random sampling of different types of vehicles and then monitor what happens with those vehicles throughout the week.

On the subject of oil drips, now's the time to take care of that engine that's leaking oil. If you can't get that taken care of, then at least put down a tarp or oil pan (weight the oil pan so it doesn't blow away) once you park. If you're renting a truck, assume it leaks oil and put something down.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby Gonzo Frothwood » Tue Jul 31, 2012 6:50 pm

How are the oil drip studies from when there was bomb testing coming along?
"There is nothing so over-estimated as a piece of ass, and nothing so under-estimated as a good and greasy shit." Boneman Johnson
Gonzo Frothwood

Postby Canoe » Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:43 pm

ygmir wrote:I'd have to wonder, as far as scale goes, if it'd matter?
vehicles drive all over the playa most of the year, dripping leaking and spilling...

BRC occupies a small area (around 6.2 square miles, or ~3%) of the ~200 square miles of Black Rock Playa. BRC is located in one of the least biologically significant areas of the playa and with one of the lowest counts for the cyclic aquatic life of the playa. I'm guessing that BLM putting BRC on this location isn't an accident. Having BRC located there seems like a good precaution should, down the line, it turn up that something from accumulated BMs turns out to have had an effect, as due to the BRC location it will have had the least possible impact on playa life. This is more likely for BRC than random vehicles driving around the playa, as there is a greater likelihood of accumulating something with concentrated activity year after year, even though it's on the area of least possible significance. (we'll ignore the risk of random vehicles going where they will, and into more sensitive areas of the playa, and what a blown engine or mass leak from a gas tank may do at such a location - not relevant to what we can do at BRC)

Addressing oil leaks is a proactive way of addressing something, while I believe not currently known to cause a problem, that down the line could turn out to have been an (accumulating?) issue that could have been addressed, minimized or contained.

I drive a 1986 AMC Eagle. It drips. That isn't going to change much.
I'm thinking a 4'x8' sheet of Masonite/hardboard ($14), fuzzy size up, and park all four wheels on it.
Addresses wheel/rubber "scars" and absorbs small drips at the same time. It can't blow away and I only need four nails to hold it while I drive on/off it?
Odd. No bears to watch in the dump. Oh well, lets go across the road & pick blueberries.
... but don't harm the red dragon that frequents the area from time to time. He and I have an agreement.
Canoe

Postby motskyroonmatick » Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:30 pm

What is the sample area? A nearly dormant week long camping area or the entry and exit road. Who is figuring vehicle operating hours in to this whole equation?

Some fuck nut could toss a few hundred gallons of crude around the playa right before the burn and really taint the sample. Cost benefit analysis. The playa is actually better off with burning man cleaning up after everybody than not cleaning up after anyone. The world is simple.

Yeah I'll be bringing cardboard but just cause I want the right to camp on das play 4 ever.

Wait! I thought we weren't supposed to bring extra packaging. I'm so confused now.
Black Rock City Welding and Repair. The Night Time Warming Station.

When you pass the 4th "bridge out!" sign; the flaming death is all yours.-Knowmad-
motskyroonmatick

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: B.R.C. Welding&Repair.

Postby Bob » Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:09 am

Just don't be an asshole.

One year the org designated an Art Car Camp. One of them dug a pit and dumped his crankcase out. Assholes happen, and that's why it gets attention.
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
Bob

Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Postby lemur » Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:41 am

isnt oil organic?!
Don't link to anything here!
lemur

Camp Name: Plug N Play Camp

Postby Bob » Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:47 am

Does the environmental impact of Burning Man include exfoliation?
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
Bob

Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Postby MrTetris » Fri Aug 10, 2012 7:24 am

I use these on myboat. Keeps oil in when they get wet....

You can buy them individually at marina/boat stores.

Also I think I will rubberband one around my blow by hose on my semitrucks engine this year...

http://www.absorbentsonline.com/economy ... _rolls.htm
MrTetris

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Do More Now!

Postby Canoe » Fri Aug 10, 2012 7:44 am

MrTetris wrote:... Keeps oil in when they get wet...

I have a stash of these (not necessarily same brand). Friend is in the gas industry; they have huge rolls of it for spills. I keep some remnants in car. Absorbs gas/oil, but not water.

Guy on bike topping up his oil for a trip back to his city; spills oil in puddle with cop watching, not amused. Grab a ~10" square sheet, soaked up oil leaving water in puddle looking spotless (but I sure wouldn't drink it).

But, need a large amount to do under the whole car. It's fairly robust, but how to hold it there for an uber wind...

I would suspect, but have not tested, that for a fuel/oil spill on-playa the soil could be shoveled into a kiddle pool, add water and stir to float the oil & gas, and then remove it by these sheets. Left sitting for a while, a lot might evaporate off first too.
Not recommending anybody test this, but if there is a spill it would be an interesting experiment on some of the cleanup soil.
Odd. No bears to watch in the dump. Oh well, lets go across the road & pick blueberries.
... but don't harm the red dragon that frequents the area from time to time. He and I have an agreement.
Canoe

Postby Elliot » Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:11 pm

I like the idea of a sheet of plywood, held down by parking two tires on it. I'm lucky that Millicent does not leave puddles, but there are always a couple of drops hanging underneath. Probably leaks a little bit while running down the road. A sheet (4 feet by 8 feet) of chip board (I think the formal name may be Oriented Strand Board) costs only something like 12 bucks. Thin Hardboard, as mentioned above, may cost even less, but I have not bought any lately.
It may be worth the effort to bring (for those of us with large enough vehicles), even if only to show the BLM that we do care. Burning Man has a fabulous record of leaving no trace, and we must keep it that way indefinitely. :D
Elliot's Bicycle Service & Beverage Station - a 2015 BRC Theme Camp

a.k.a. Elliot's Naked Bicycle Service & Piano Bar, etc

Elliot

Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Elliot’s Bicycle Service & Bevera...

Postby Canoe » Fri Aug 10, 2012 3:22 pm

Elliot wrote:A sheet (4 feet by 8 feet) of chip board (I think the formal name may be Oriented Strand Board) costs only something like 12 bucks. Thin Hardboard, as mentioned above, may cost even less, but I have not bought any lately.

$14 a sheet
fuzzy side up to absorb fallen drips before they run off
Canoe

Postby Misti » Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:08 pm

Parking on a tarp works for us. also keeps us from leaving those black tire prints we saw from most camps.
Misti

Return to Experiences at Burning Man