Ever lost someone on the Playa?

Share your pictures and video. Tell us about the sights, sounds, and scents, as well as the rumors and truths found at Burning Man.

Ever lost someone on the Playa?

Postby Clar-i-ty » Sun Jun 03, 2012 3:47 pm

Last year as we left the Playa, Wednesday after the burn, we stopped to see my Indian Taco lady. I've gone to her stand every year since my first burn. She's like family to me.

Anyway, as we sat, enjoying fry bread with meat beans and salsa, we talked to the other burners leaving the playa late.

A couple from Australia was talking about their friend that went missing.

They were understandably alarmed, but we kind of just shrugged. "It happens. They usually show up in Montana or something," we told them. "Happens every year, they almost always turn up."

We wished them well, and wished them luck and headed towards Reno.

Later, I felt a bad for not being more empathetic. I would be pretty alarmed if I brought a friend to the playa and then they disappeared. I'd be pissed too. Way to fuck up a person's burn.

At any rate, I'm wondering how many times it really has happened and where and when the wayward turned up.

So there ya go. One narrative intro, now is your chance to testify...
GET OUT OF MY TRUCK HIPPIE!
Clar-i-ty

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: GET OFF MY LAWN!

Re: Ever lost someone on the Playa?

Postby Bob » Sun Jun 03, 2012 4:04 pm

This is why you Sharpie their address on their chest.
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
Bob

Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Postby AntiM » Mon Jun 04, 2012 5:48 am

We haven't lost anyone yet, but on Monday morning we were asked to help find a young lady who was off her meds and ran screaming into the darkness at the temple burn. She'd spent some time with the green dots earlier in the week. I have no idea if, when and where they found her.
we were riding the crest of a high and beautiful wave. . . .
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby Roberto Dobbisano » Mon Jun 04, 2012 6:15 am

does ditching someone count as losing them?
"10 principles? you cant HANDLE the 10 principles..."
Roberto Dobbisano

Postby mgb327 » Mon Jun 04, 2012 7:40 am

Roberto Dobbisano wrote:does ditching someone count as losing them?

Only if you are successful at not letting them ever find you again.
Dogs are the leaders of the planet. If you see two life forms, one of them’s making a poop, the other one’s carrying it for him, who would you assume is in charge?
" I am a controlled substance". Savannah.
mgb327

Postby junglesmacks » Mon Jun 04, 2012 8:21 am

You mean other than myself?
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
junglesmacks

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby David M » Tue Jun 05, 2012 8:21 am

Lost my virgin friend at the gate. He went up to will call to buy a ticket and we didn't see him again for hours. We had his car and all his supplies.

He eventually found us after I posted a note at Playa info. I thought we would never see him again.

Word of advice, don't let virgins out of your sight until you are parked in your camp.
David M

Burning Since: 2009

Postby Clar-i-ty » Wed Jun 06, 2012 3:21 pm

David M wrote:Lost my virgin friend at the gate. He went up to will call to buy a ticket and we didn't see him again for hours. We had his car and all his supplies.

He eventually found us after I posted a note at Playa info. I thought we would never see him again.

Word of advice, don't let virgins out of your sight until you are parked in your camp.

That there kids is what you call a teaching moment. Always stay with your vehicle when coming in to the City.
GET OUT OF MY TRUCK HIPPIE!
Clar-i-ty

Camp Name: GET OFF MY LAWN!

Postby Lord Of Ruin » Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:36 am

David M wrote:Lost my virgin friend at the gate. He went up to will call to buy a ticket and we didn't see him again for hours. We had his car and all his supplies.

Yep...this is why we yell at you at Gate to not get out/separate. You got lucky...there have been people who got separated for two days before they found their camp.
The fox provides for himself, but God provides for the lion - W. Blake (attribution corrected)
Lord Of Ruin

Burning Since: 2017

Postby misfit » Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:04 am

Be happy while you're living, For you're a long time dead.
misfit

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: wish you were here

Postby some seeing eye » Fri Jun 15, 2012 4:07 pm

Australians are travelers. So the idea of lost may not even apply. And there is the tradition of the walkabout and songlines in Australian culture.

The counterpoint, generally I can never "find" someone on the playa, but it's surprisingly easy to "run into" them.

I have had my ride home decide to leave early without telling me, but that resulted in a great connection for an awesome ride on an hour notice door to door and new friends.

Agree with prev posters about establishing home camp base, and sharpie marking for extreme cases. More peeps should use playa info for connecting, or the text service, if that's your style (no flames plz!)
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion
some seeing eye

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Woo

Postby BBadger » Fri Jun 15, 2012 7:54 pm

No, because--like a hippy not being able to attend BM--that's not a loss.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.
BBadger

Postby David M » Sat Jun 16, 2012 10:16 am

Lord Of Ruin wrote:

Yep...this is why we yell at you at Gate to not get out/separate. You got lucky...there have been people who got separated for two days before they found their camp.

Oh I got plenty of grief at the gate when I asked about my lost friend.

I strongly advised against splitting up, but no one in my group other than myself thought it was a bad idea. I didn't take a lot of satisfaction in being correct as I was peddling all over the playa looking for my lost friend though.
David M

Burning Since: 2009

Postby binaryuplink » Mon Jul 02, 2012 1:19 am

Yes in 2003 one of our camp mates disappeared. we spent the rest of the burn walking around with a photo of her asking if any one had seen her. we went to playa info the whole shibang. on saturday afternoon a message from playa info reached us that she had fallen off a art car and broken her knee. and we would be able to reclaim our lost campmate at the hospital in reno.
blea!!!
binaryuplink

Postby Coastburner » Mon Jul 02, 2012 3:16 am

Yes, I did. This was my 3rd year at BM and my girlfriends first year. I remember being out on the playa and I told her and her girlfriend to wait where they were as my buddy was right behind us. I ran about 30 feet away, didn't see my buddy and ran back to the same spot. It was a clear night, very warm and when I went back to the same spot, they were gone. Actually, they were in the same spot but somehow I got turned around and looked for them for an hour. After about 30 minutes, they thought I bailed on them and left to go dancing. I was so bummed and went back to my camp and changed into something warmer. I decided to go to one of the big sound camps at 10pm and dance. Amazingly enough, when I got there, I saw my girl dancing on the top of an art car. I got lucky as finding someone you lost on the playa is a 1 in a thousand chance to see them again that night. I was so happy to see her again. It made my whole burn as I loved that girl so much. The lesson we learned is go together whether it's to the bathroom, a bar, or just 20 feet away. It's easy to get lost and disoriented on the playa.

Coastburner
Coastburner

Postby Ano » Mon Jul 02, 2012 5:04 pm

I was camped next to a group of Australians with the same kind of attitude. They had a friend who they lost at the beginning of the week about ten seconds after pulling in to BRC... apparently he just ran off in a random direction. I met him on Friday, he sort of wandered into camp and was like "Oh, hey guys!" and they picked up as if nothing had happened.

Weird bunch, those Australians.
Ano

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Everlasting Fuck-you's

Postby TinkerMom » Mon Jul 02, 2012 5:23 pm

:lol:
I lost both of my boys last year from Tues. until Thurs. sometime. I didn't worry to much.

I taught them well enough. They are like a pair of bad pennies anyway, always showing back up.
....the password is pineapple.........

Just throw it on the fire! It will kill it or cure it!!
TinkerMom

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity BDC

Postby Karma » Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:02 am

Aussies are hilarious when it comes to keeping track of them. A few years back my friends camped next to us lost their Aussie friend on Burn night and never found him after that. A few days later they discovered he had been transported to a hospital in Reno with severe burns. After the man collapsed he tried to walk across the embers.... he did'nt make it. :/

Yes, THAT guy was Australian.... Go figure

He's all better now, does NOT like to talk about it anymore and got married on the Playa last year.
One of the coolest and funniest guys I know.

And no more firewalking. ^_^
"God is a comedian playing to an audience that is afraid to laugh".

Voltaire

Postby goathead » Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:02 am

usually take birgins out with the intent of hoping they get lost.
so little time to waste for them to be sitting around drinking beer with an old goat

LMAO
06?
I had to leave early for work
wife was suppose to leave later that evening
4 days later I found her, vechile broke down
camping with some friends
:lol:
Ffwcio eich diwrnod
Jebem ti dan
Tpaxhnte ball aehb
Nasrat na vas den
Namaste, zkurvysynu
Plug n Play camps have done to Burning Man what panty hose did to Finger-Fucking. Ratty
FREE THE SHERPAS
goathead

Burning Since: 1999

Postby junglesmacks » Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:11 am

BBadger wrote:

No, because--like a hippy not being able to attend BM--that's not a loss.

True story!

I've intentionally lost a tag-along a couple of times when we're just not on the same "level". Large sound camps work well for that.

"Hey.. let's go check that out.. " Bam. Gone. Whoops! Must have lost you in the crowd.. sorry!

I (used to) like my solo missions.. but now with girlfriend/fiancee that attends as well, I've had to learn a certain group mentality that I never had before.
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
junglesmacks

Postby catinthefunnyhat » Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:03 pm

Do any of the papers that are published in BRC carry "missing persons" ads, a la milk cartons? Does the post office put up "Wanted: Alive" posters? Does the radio station broadcast either of the above in aural form? Seems like these could be both hilarious and useful.
If you want drama to stop following you everywhere, try letting go of the leash.
catinthefunnyhat

Postby Lonesomebri » Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:18 am

image001.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Lonesomebri

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: Camp Threat

Return to Experiences at Burning Man