Not that it truly matters...

Share your pictures and video. Tell us about the sights, sounds, and scents, as well as the rumors and truths found at Burning Man.

Not that it truly matters...

Postby Borris » Fri Sep 05, 2003 1:16 am

But, I assume that Adam Freeland was the most "well known" DJ to rock the Playa this year... (on an International level)

Am i mistaken??
Shit, where was i for the last week... ehm...
Borris

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: DPW

or

Postby Layne » Fri Sep 05, 2003 9:11 am

Sandra Collins played a couple of rippin' sets as well.
Distrikt DJ
Camp Houligan
Layne

MAYBE the most well known, but............

Postby gizray » Fri Sep 05, 2003 10:38 am

an-ten-nae, lorin and tipper stole the shows for me and a bunch of others...........
gizray

for me

Postby Layne » Fri Sep 05, 2003 10:42 am

I was blown away by Freeland. It's difficult for me to listen to breaks for a few hours but I managed to really enjoy his set.

As well as all the dj's in our camp. We were blessed with so much great talent and everyone just ripped it up.

Layne
Distrikt DJ
Camp Houligan
Layne

Freeland

Postby Claire » Fri Sep 05, 2003 12:01 pm

Adam freeland was ok,

the real party was in the dome with Lorin, antennae and tipper for me.
You just couldnt beat that vibe or that talent.

Plus I just heard they are all playing again tonight. And Freq Nasty is going to be there as well... YAY
Claire

i must give you props

Postby Layne » Fri Sep 05, 2003 12:21 pm

after hearing 8 straight days of one type of house music or another I could not drag myself to 550 Barneveld for a party.

my hat tips to you dear...rock on for the rest of us.
Distrikt DJ
Camp Houligan
Layne

Postby Kinetic » Tue Sep 09, 2003 8:52 pm

Sandra Collins's set pulled me in from way out in the wholly other, and I had no idea who she was until that night. I have never heard a set that damn good in my life. There I was tired and with a double case of bad playa foot and her music had me dancing so hard that I didn't even feel the pain from the playa foot. She literally moved me that much....wow what an impressive performance. I understand why people love her so much. Now I do too!
Kinetic

Postby Borris » Wed Sep 10, 2003 8:32 am

as much as lorin antenae and tiper might be good (I haven't heard them spin unfourtunatley) they aren't "International" names.

So it's Adam Freeland and Sandra Collins up till now.
Shit, where was i for the last week... ehm...
Borris

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: DPW

Postby playasnake » Wed Sep 10, 2003 9:24 am

actually tipper is quite well internationally known, was originally signed to Sony, then went to Fuel where he released most of his work to date and has since released on Delicatessen, Colony, MyUtopia (and others im sure).

Freeland has released on a bunch of dance labels to, and runs Marine Parade, a breaks label out of the UK.

tipper and freeland are on about the same level in my opinion... if you are counting album sales and international gigs.

sandra collins would probably be the 'biggest', but thats because she plays more popular music. trance. i dont think she produces though.

lastly, not that it truely matters... (heheh)

lorin was playing in New Zealand and Australia last time i was down there, and i know he plays internationally rather often... same with Adam Ohana, whose current moniker, ant-en-nae, is just that, his most current moniker... having released on german and british labels.
playasnake

Postby Immersed » Sun Sep 14, 2003 1:13 pm

So where did Freeland play on Saturday night?? I looked for him as well as all the other good music I was told was going on and never found anything!! ARGH!
Immersed

Postby diva p » Sun Sep 14, 2003 6:56 pm

Adam Freeland played at Sol System Sunday morning.
diva p

Postby Immersed » Sun Sep 14, 2003 7:26 pm

Fuck! I knew I should've looked there! I'd been going there all week but for some reason that was the one place I didn't go that night! Figures...
Immersed

Postby Kinetic » Sun Sep 14, 2003 7:29 pm

Sol System had a very cool surround sound setup early in the week that was great. If you missed hearing it, then you really did miss something special on the playa.
Kinetic

Postby shuranuff » Tue Sep 16, 2003 9:18 am

yeah i got lost dancing out there early in the week before they turned all the speakers toward the playa. it was incredible!
shuranuff

Hella big DJs/groups have played there in past years

Postby thehunt » Wed Jan 07, 2004 12:19 am

I saw Paul Oakenfold play a few years ago at Illuminaughty and he is definately the biggest DJ ever to rock the playa, cuz he is the biggest/most popular DJ in the world. I heard the rumor he was playing, and I had to go all out to find out when and where: 1 AM on Friday morning in 2000 or 2001.
I've seen Lost At Last twice, 2003 at Camp Wow!, and a few years ago at the Oasis?
I've seen DJ John Kelley there with DJ Treavor, 2002 at XARA.
I know DJ Spooky played there cuz I talked to him about it in Seattle.

I was pissed I missed Sandra Collins, cuz the special guest was obviously not announced. I went out there after the man burned and there were two people there. It's all good.
I will keep my ears open next year for more big names to rock the playa!!!
The Hunt \<>/ Eric Huntington - DJ, Producer, Abstract Artist - picassocamp.org/gallery
My Group: Enlightenmen
email: thehunt@live.com
thehunt

Postby Isotopia » Wed Jan 07, 2004 1:18 pm

I saw Paul Oakenfold play a few years ago at Illuminaughty and he is definately the biggest DJ ever to rock the playa, cuz he is the biggest/most popular DJ in the world.

Please tell me that this portion of your post is a joke that just sort of went over my head.
Isotopia

Postby playasnake » Wed Jan 07, 2004 10:18 pm

i think freq nasty is bigger actually, but thats only because im taking the size of his hair into consideration
e pluribus unimog
playasnake

No joke

Postby thehunt » Thu Jan 08, 2004 1:00 am

Paul Oakenfold is known as the world most popular/successful DJ. I saw him rock the playa in 2000 or 2001 at Illuminaughty at about 10:00 and Esplanade. It was 1 A.M on Friday night, it was insane. Compared to the other DJs that have been mentioned on this board, freeland, freq, etc...Oakenfold is biggest/most well known DJ to play on the playa. I was just saying that since he is known as the most well known DJ in the world, there really isn't a way for a more well known DJ to pass him in popularity.

Its all good yall. He is my favorite DJ, but either way, I was just contributing to the conversation letting others know the biggest DJ to ever play out at Black Rock City.
The Hunt \<>/ Eric Huntington - DJ, Producer, Abstract Artist - picassocamp.org/gallery
thehunt

Postby Badger » Thu Jan 08, 2004 9:50 am

Oakenfold is biggest/most well known DJ to play on the playa.

Just poking at you.

It seemed that you were suggesting that BIG equates to BEST. In Oakenfold's case that's certainly not true.
Desert dogs drink deep.

Badger

Postby spaceboy » Thu Jan 08, 2004 5:26 pm

Ok folks, let's not drop names here. I totally agree that Sandra is an amazing dj and Freq Nasty puts out some mean ass shit on vinyl (yet to hear in person), but I have heard truly talented "no-name" dj's rock just as much out there. I can't even count how many off-esplanade domes & camps I wandered into and found the best sounds and GREAT vibes. That's the beauty of BMan: no matter ifyou want a big club-ish crowd or a small intimate dance area, there's something there for you.

Oakey at BM.... mixed feelings about this one.
Eat, drink, and be merry for tomorrow we die!
spaceboy

Postby Chai Guy » Thu Jan 08, 2004 5:51 pm

Perry Farrell taught me how to break dance on the playa a few years ago.
Chai Guy

Paul Oakenfold

Postby Layne » Tue Jan 13, 2004 12:29 pm

while he had his time in the sun is a complete clown. he doesn't even spin when he comes to play and he charges upwards of $20,000 a gig. he makes "jesus like" god poses and piss poor mixes of songs that are overplayed.

Paul Van Dyke has played on the playa, just as big a name with not nearly the ego.

I think the thing about the dj's mentioned Freq, Freeland, etc is they aren't so stuffed up their own ass' that people appreciate them
more, I know I certainly do.

This comes from someone who has listened, played, experienced this music for 14 years.
Distrikt DJ
Camp Houligan
Layne

On the note of Psytrance

Postby eirias » Wed Feb 25, 2004 4:20 pm

If any of you were there in 1999, Simon Postford of Shpongle and Hallucinogen fame performed, along with Tristan, X-Dream, Kode IV, Bufo (Adam Ohana again), and others who are quite well- known in the psytrance community.
Perry Farrell has gone out to B-Man several times, and a friend of mine saw "Kramer" (can't recall his real name) on the playa in 2001.

What all this about techno regulations in 2004? I suppose this is off the subject but any info is appreciated.
"'tis an ill wind that blows no minds"
eirias

Postby DVD Burner » Wed Feb 25, 2004 4:25 pm

Pete Tong rules. so does ATV

"The art is in the digit!"

The Original Digiman
DVD Burner

Re: On the note of Psytrance

Postby thehunt » Wed Feb 25, 2004 4:51 pm

eirias wrote: Perry Farrell has gone out to B-Man several times, and a friend of mine saw "Kramer" (can't recall his real name) on the playa in 2001.

Ya, this guy I met showed my pix on his digital camera, of Kramer right in front of Picasso Camp, but we never saw him when in camp.

A girl who camped with us says she kicked it with Perry Farrell for a nite, after he played a small performance where he suppossedy motioned for the cameramen to stop filming him out there.
thehunt

Postby centrifuge » Fri Feb 27, 2004 4:06 pm

*poohs*
centrifuge

Return to Experiences at Burning Man