Favorite "small" experiences at BM?

Share your pictures and video. Tell us about the sights, sounds, and scents, as well as the rumors and truths found at Burning Man.

Re: Favorite "small" experiences at BM?

Postby Pippi » Sun Mar 04, 2012 2:38 am

gibson_ wrote:Lots of small stuff that made my virgin year completely magic.

1:00am or so, we had just gotten into the city, 3 virgins, completely shit-scared because we felt like total outsiders (at least I did), trying to make our way to where the people we were camping with were. We were driving what I felt like was a huge obnoxious truck, driving through this city that belonged to these _other_ people, shining our bright lights into their camps in the middle of the night and probably waking them up.

I just felt totally totally totally out of place and really self conscious like I didn't belong here and was being annoying on top of all of it. I felt awful. I had been excited about this magical new thing all year (I got my ticket the day they went on sale in January, and then spent the entire year reading every piece of text I could find about Burning Man), and here I was, ruining it for people by blasting them with my headlights and driving my annoying truck through where they were walking.

:(

Some guy runs up to the truck and sticks his head in the window.

With a big smile he says; "Welcome home! You're almost there!"

Total. Total. Total. 180 degree complete perception flip.

Just that feeling of...like...fuck, these people don't hate me at all... (my eyes are actually welling up right now typing this, ha...weird). Welcome _home_? "Home?" Me? Home?

--

Another was when we were walking through the city one morning and some guy saw me and my two friends out in the street. He gets up from his couch, runs out with a huge smile on his face to ask us what we were doing.

"Oh, just checking stuff out, you know..."
"Huh, cool, is this your first time here?"
"...yeah."
**HUGE** smile, followed by a gigantic hug for each of us.
"Welcome home. You made it."

Goosebumps.

Seriously that _type_ of feeling. "Hey, we really like you by default, and we're all really glad your here.". That's completely *not* something I experience in my day-to-day life. Those couple of experiences were absolutely stunning to me.

And this is why reading some of the stuff I'm reading right now, how people are so upset at some of the virgins because they are somehow not worthy. That hurts :( -- I hope every single virgin that comes into BRC this year gets to feel that amazing 50,000 person-strong hug that my friends and I got to feel.

Other small stuff was: walking out to the trash fence. Turning around and just seeing total anarchy behind us.

My trike didn't survive the dust so well, so I was riding my friend's bike a lot with her on the handlebars. One night we were cruising around (me pedaling, her on the handlebars) and started singing silly songs (to the tune of glory glory hallelujah)

"I saw two hippies on the playa...
I saw two hippies on the playa
saw a bunch of art cars on the playa
and it was really fun"

--repeat, adapting the "saw a bunch of art cars" to match whatever it was that we were seeing at the time--

It's making me all nostalgic now thinking about it, but riding around with two friends one of them on the handlebars of my [actually her] bike, smiling from ear to ear singing made up songs in the middle of the night surrounded by flame throwers and dancing people and totally insane art cars blasting music. My god. There is nothing better than that.

Oh! And at about 3:00 and the esplanade, sexy Santa Claus read us a bedtime story :)

OH! And one morning we were walking and found what I can only describe as a...hammock tree? Probably at around 7:00 and C? We were napping in the hammocks a bit, enjoying the warmth, and somebody came over and served us pancakes. That was _so_ cool.

OH OH! And spending one sunset roller skating at the BRC roller disco. And my skates didn't really fit :(, ha, but I wanted to skate with my friend so bad, so I did it anyway. A freaking ROLLER RINK! What?!?

God that was a beautiful week :-/ -- I really hope I can find a ticket to get back there this year.

Love this post!!!
Pippi

Burning Since: 2011

Postby Pippi » Sun Mar 04, 2012 3:06 am

Rites of Passage was my first burn and I was SOOOO lucky to get in 4 days early, along with 8 other virgins, to help set up our camp. (Our camp leader said we were the best crew Ever!!!) One of our veterans was going to Welcome when the gates opened so he asked us all to come along. What an amazing way to start my first burn. That was the day that I learned how to properly hug. I mean REALLY hug!

It was amazing when asking everyone arriving how many burns they had been to.... Some 1, 2, some 5, 10 with one man going as far back as 17 years. When the long timers asked me how many years for me, it was SOOOOO cool to see their faces when I told them it was my first one! At first I felt a bit silly being a virgin and welcoming long timers home but I was wrong to feel that way! Grins ear to ear would fill their faces and then They Welcomed ME Home!

Another amazing experience for me was at the Temple. My dad had passed away earlier in the year and after a few days of putting it off I grabbed some photos and art supplies to write a message on The Temple wall. It took me about 2 hours to pick a spot that felt right and get the strength to do it. Plus, there were all these weddings happening so it felt weird to be so sad while seeing others right next to me feeling so happy. Finally though, I found a spot and started my message. Of course many sobs occurred and I can't even count how many people came up and put their arms around me and just hugged me. One guy sat behind me and just held me until I was stopped crying. Then as I finished the sun set and the huge harp began to play. Wow. Wow. Wow.

Each day after that I went to The Temple for a little while to be there for anyone that needed what I had so desperately needed.

Oh playa I miss you sooooo!
Pippi

Burning Since: 2011

Postby Elorrum » Sun Mar 04, 2012 9:33 am

thanks for sharing pippi.
I was riding along (with Swampdog, remember?) and saw an old fashioned sign like a pointing finger that said, "ice cream" and turned to find a soft serve ice cream and yogurt set up. Strawberry frozen yogurt, and vanilla ice cream. The next day, my neighbor said he'd seen it also, and the strawberry ice cream was "off." um, yeah, yogurt?

same ride, holding a little sign by the side of the road that said, "$100 Hugs" Great great hugs, good value!!!!

playa scrabble on J street. Big giant scrabble set with letters about 8" square.
What's the name of the act? The Aristocrats.
Elorrum

Postby delle » Sun Mar 04, 2012 9:44 am

Along the same lines

Happening upon a WANTED poster for Lionel Ritchie and pocketing one of the only remaining rip-off "phone number tags" which read:

"I can see it in your eyes".

Now, I could never be accused of being much of a Lionel Ritchie fan, but I still have the tag in my wallet. It pretty much summed up the entire experience for me.
He soars not high who fears to fall
delle

Postby BBadger » Sun Mar 04, 2012 10:12 am

We were on our camp's first-year MV, and some Iranians from Canada board the MV full of amazement. One of them brought along an electric stringed instrument and asked if he could plug it into our sound system and sing a song (or as it turned out, many). Of course we said yes. So we were treated to some live soulful Iranian traditional music.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.
BBadger

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby Saguache » Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:20 am

Virgin year I drove down from Washington in caravan with some friends who had just bought a VW. That was fun, but we got to the playa about 12 hours before gate opening and figured we'd find a good place to get queued up. Gates open early and let everyone in. I got to the bell, stepped out of my van, rolled in the dust real good, rang the gong and then ... Couldn't find my van.

"Wheres my fucking van?"

One of the greeters had noticed that I was a bit of an enthusiast and helped me realize that nothing last forever. He moved it around the pylons while I was rolling in the dust. We laughed our mutuall asses off once I found it again.
-- Inspire or empower your neighbor, the rest is a waste of precious time
Saguache

Postby vargaso » Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:50 pm

In 2008, my wife and I were walking back to camp around 3am, exhausted and happy, and a group of people cam riding up on a circular 8 person bicycle. There were 2 open seats and they asked us, "Do you need a ride?" We looked at each other and said, "sure." We hopped on and they took back out into the playa where we laughed our asses off riding around and checking out the sights we had just seen.

In 2009, a few camps on our street had just finished a "block party," where we set up cones and block people from proceeding until they take a shot. It's a very loud, rowdy and admittedly frat-boy douchey kind of thing, but really fun. We're taking down the cones and a guy strolls by wearing a dress and playing a violin just beautifully, like concert-hall level quality. And we all just stop what we're doing and watch and listen as this person continues on down the road. Just absolutely sublime.

In 2007, yeah, the goddamn "hippie batcall" double rainbow.

God, tons more, those are the ones that popped into my head.
vargaso

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Suburbanoya

Postby paulo999 » Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:25 pm

delle wrote:Along the same lines

Happening upon a WANTED poster for Lionel Ritchie and pocketing one of the only remaining rip-off "phone number tags" which read:

"I can see it in your eyes".

I can only assume that the other tags had the remaining lines of the lyrics to Hello.

:mrgreen:
paulo999

Postby Box Burner » Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:26 pm

Walked out to find Ugly Dougly's camp one morning and found no-one there and then was offered a shot of whisky and a fried balony sandwich by a gentleman at the KFC camp right next door. Best sandwich I've ever eaten. :D
Dance in the heart of chaos. . . . .

ὁ δὲ ἀνεξέταστος βίος οὐ βιωτὸς ἀνθρώπῳ
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - --- Σωκράτης

Box Burner

Postby hellolinds » Fri Mar 09, 2012 9:39 pm

this thread gave me all kinds of goosebumps! exactly the sort of heart warming moments that I have been dreaming of for so, so long.
hellolinds

Postby happydragon » Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:50 pm

The list of magical experiences I felt at my burns goes on and on... but the one that really stands out for me was at the Temple last year. I was on the balcony rail watching looking out while my gf processed what she needed to process. I watched as some random topless girl on the playa below completely broke down, and another random person walked up, hugged her until she did't need it anymore, then walked away back into her own temple stuff. Even though I was too far away to hear, I don't think words were exchanged, or needed. But I couldn't help but think, where else does this happen? this is why I love this place... then sad because I wish there was more of that in the default.
happydragon

Burning Since: 2010

Postby Savannah » Sat Mar 10, 2012 5:23 pm

vargaso wrote:In 2008, my wife and I were walking back to camp around 3am, exhausted and happy, and a group of people cam riding up on a circular 8 person bicycle. There were 2 open seats and they asked us, "Do you need a ride?" We looked at each other and said, "sure." We hopped on and they took back out into the playa where we laughed our asses off riding around and checking out the sights we had just seen.

In 2009, a few camps on our street had just finished a "block party," where we set up cones and block people from proceeding until they take a shot. It's a very loud, rowdy and admittedly frat-boy douchey kind of thing, but really fun. We're taking down the cones and a guy strolls by wearing a dress and playing a violin just beautifully, like concert-hall level quality. And we all just stop what we're doing and watch and listen as this person continues on down the road. Just absolutely sublime.

In 2007, yeah, the goddamn "hippie batcall" double rainbow.

God, tons more, those are the ones that popped into my head.

Those are fantastic. :)
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby B the B » Sat Mar 17, 2012 10:15 am

The list of magical experiences I felt at my burns goes on and on... but the one that really stands out for me was at the Temple last year. I was on the balcony rail watching looking out while my gf processed what she needed to process. I watched as some random topless girl on the playa below completely broke down, and another random person walked up, hugged her until she did't need it anymore, then walked away back into her own temple stuff. Even though I was too far away to hear, I don't think words were exchanged, or needed. But I couldn't help but think, where else does this happen? this is why I love this place... then sad because I wish there was more of that in the default.
aerialmonster

That exact thing happened to me in 2010! I visited the Temple alot in an effort to combat my severe empathy issues, most times melting down in a puddle of tears after reading a few things written on the walls, or even just from feeling the energy there. I'm kinda ruff around the edges looking, not someone you expect to see sobbing like a big baby, but I was really coming apart and some young guy gave me a big long hug and it really calmed me down. The only thing said was "Thanks Man". The temple blew my mind, I've never felt an energy that powerful anywhere.
"what if one of these times the man says f it and decides to burn us?"
B the B

Postby wh..sh » Sat Mar 17, 2012 11:03 am

Each experience is so unique...

I guess mine was dancing to a peformance of chants by a 'Hare Krishna' group, lead by a Brazilian dance teacher, on a slow morning. Doing the, as they call it, the sacred dance! :lol:
Not in a million years did I ever imagine I would see some Hare Krishna group out there on playa :)
In my world there's only legible and more legible.

-Bob
wh..sh

Postby mgb327 » Sat Mar 17, 2012 4:07 pm

B the B said "The temple blew my mind, I've never felt an energy that powerful anywhere.".....that's it for me, my life changing event. One cannot deny the power/energy/connection there, undeniable. Very difficult for me, but I kept going back in. Maybe the smallest amount of time spent in it overall, but the largest event of my life. One cannot unring the bell. Still has a major effect on my life, probably always will. Counting the days til I go home again........
Dogs are the leaders of the planet. If you see two life forms, one of them’s making a poop, the other one’s carrying it for him, who would you assume is in charge?
" I am a controlled substance". Savannah.
mgb327

Postby Fufa » Sat Mar 17, 2012 10:16 pm

My favourite small experience would have to be during my birgin year with my boyfriend. We were kinda drunk, it was night, and we kept wandering past very lovey dovey art. Finally we stopped, in the middle of a dark expanse by the man. It was there we said our first I love you's. It's part of the reason why the burn means so much to the two of us.

Other notable experiences:

The warm hug and sloppy kiss on the cheek I received from a greeter my first year.

Snowcones in the middle of the day.

Having long chats with this guy camped near the jots, every morning after I had my first piss of the day. It meant my bathroom trips took over half an hour.

Looking at the planets through a friend's telescope. I had never seen Jupiter with my own eyes before.
Fufa

Burning Since: 2010

Postby robbidobbs » Tue Mar 27, 2012 1:18 pm

A naked guy was throwing stuffed animals at people in the middle of the intersection by Stag Camp last year. I PA'd my request to drive thru. He turned around and THREW a ragdoll rabbit at my windshield, jumped on my hood and wiped my car with it. He then put the doll under my wiper and moved out of the way. I drove safely thru the intersection, stopped and removed the bunny and bungied him on top of the PA speaker on my roof. I later wrote "George" on his chest. He's now the official "mayor" of Dept of Over-Engineering. He's been a running joke source for Gonzo and I since. He's a sensitive rabbit, but is also opinionated. Good listener too - all ears. He'll definitely come out with us this year.
robbidobbs

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Dept of Over-Engineering

Postby catinthefunnyhat » Tue Mar 27, 2012 1:40 pm

robbidobbs wrote:A naked guy was throwing stuffed animals at people in the middle of the intersection

Nothing I've read on eplaya has made me as homesick for BRC as that. I'm laughing and crying inside, and I'm tearing up a little. <3
If you want drama to stop following you everywhere, try letting go of the leash.
catinthefunnyhat

Postby Boijoy » Tue Mar 27, 2012 2:00 pm

One morning I was walking back from Center Camp wearing my leopard cowboy hat. A gal wearing kitty ears and tail walked by, nodded a smile & meowed at me. I TOTALLY knew what she meant... it was awesome. I speak kitty!!
don't forget to floss
Boijoy

Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Metro Mart

Postby lucky420 » Sat Apr 07, 2012 6:26 pm

Early morning mooping and bike ride last year. Playa was pretty empty but I noticed another bike rider off in the distance, about 1/2 a football field away or so. She was headed in my direction and I was headed in hers. We got closer and closer to each other just kind of meandering around. All of a sudden we were really close and we ran our bikes into each other. It was pretty damn funny as we were both going slow and there was plenty of room as there was no one else even close to us...

Not necessarily favorite but one I won't forget because it was so oddly funny at the time.
Oh my god, it's HUGE!
lucky420

Burning Since: I'm not sure
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Favorite "small" experiences at BM?

Postby alex.defunk » Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:05 pm

Oh there are so many, but if I had to pick one for each year:

- First year: Playing Marco Polo in the deep playa with everyone's eyes shut
- Second year: watching my friend have a tantric orgasm at the burn
- Third year: Tie between sumo wrestling at White Dragon Noodle Bar and Lil' Crack Whore camp's crossdress/naked party
- Fourth year: The earth harp at the temple at sunrise after the burn with some of my best friends
- Fifth year: I can't wait to find out!

So many good memories :D

-Alex
Ask me about my [CENSORED BY THE EPLAYA]
alex.defunk

Postby StaceyS » Sat Apr 28, 2012 3:40 pm

Walking down a street, came upon an ice-cream van playing the tinny Mario Bros soundtrack with a woman in a bikini on top with a bull-horn shouting at the crowd: "Get yer fuckin popsicles, people! Its fuckin hot out! Come over and get your fuckin popsicles!"
StaceyS

Postby Gonzo Frothwood » Tue May 01, 2012 6:11 pm

The day I lost my cup, 14 abandoned cups were found. The year before, I was a dark-wad. I found x6 bicycle blinkies (still working) that I ground scored.

The Playa will provide.

In default, we needed a button making machine. I'd never seen one in a thrift store. two days later, found one with a couple hundred button supplies for $15.

The Playa has sharp ears and long roots.
"There is nothing so over-estimated as a piece of ass, and nothing so under-estimated as a good and greasy shit." Boneman Johnson
Gonzo Frothwood

Postby Simon of the Playa » Tue May 01, 2012 6:13 pm

and data mining software.
breathe deep, the playa is the dust of your ancestors

A gift for the Playa
Simon of the Playa

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Postby Gonzo Frothwood » Tue May 01, 2012 6:19 pm

That could be the several pounds of playa that's still in our camping shit.
"There is nothing so over-estimated as a piece of ass, and nothing so under-estimated as a good and greasy shit." Boneman Johnson
Gonzo Frothwood

Postby irock » Thu Aug 02, 2012 7:00 pm

[quote="Savannah"][url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/30657818@N05/2883602595/][img]http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3148/2883602595_5e991f71b7.jpg[/img][/url]

Tuesday August 26, 2008 - 6:18am

I was lucky enough to wake up before the sun, and got to the Esplanade in time to cheer for the sunrise.

An old man said "It waited for you," then smiled and rode away.[/quote]

[color=#BF0000].....I like that a lot : )[/color]
irock

Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: U R Beautiful. 9:00 and Begonia

Previous

Return to Experiences at Burning Man