TRASH!!!

Share your pictures and video. Tell us about the sights, sounds, and scents, as well as the rumors and truths found at Burning Man.

TRASH!!!

Postby haloismyqueen » Sun Nov 27, 2011 10:54 am

I left Burning Man 2011 on Tuesday (After almost EVERYONE had left) and it was really hard to see how much trash was on the side of the roads. SOOOO MUCH! I see people spending hours cleaning up MOOP on the Playa, and the second they leave full trash bags blow off their trailers to be left for who to pick up?? Whether this happens unknowingly or not, it is very un-responsible and sad. Please secure YOUR TRASH! Double and triple check it!!! This was a horrid sight to see leaving such a beautiful event. Please re-post and get the word out.
haloismyqueen

Re: TRASH!!!

Postby Elderberry » Sun Nov 27, 2011 11:00 am

Yup. It's a seemingly perpetual problem.
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
Elderberry

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby theCryptofishist » Sun Nov 27, 2011 11:09 am

If people who had the know-how were to work the exodus line, teaching people to re-tie their loads in a better way. It would give the pulsing a little extra something... Or they could help out at camps in their neighborhood.

I understand that DPW gets on that pretty quick, so it doesn't stick around for long, but that doesn't make it okay. It's never okay to expect that others will clean up after you.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby Elderberry » Sun Nov 27, 2011 11:16 am

Hey, if the cops just started watching the road and writing littering tickets, I'd think that would put an end to it in short order. I think I remember signs saying fines for littering were somewhere around $2,500.00, yet I've never seen any cops out enforcing this.
JK
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
Elderberry

Postby unjonharley » Sun Nov 27, 2011 1:43 pm

DO NOT STOP TO PICK UP TRASH ON THE EXIT

You will get your ass killed..

I know not everyone can do it, But I turn out as I hit the road for a load check.
There is a little room if I swing to the right while still on the apron. Enough room for three or four rigs.. Or you can turn onto the dump road before Gerlach, check your load.. Then go 100 yards to the stop sign, turn left and renter the HWY to Gerlack .. I use that road and turn right/north for home.. There is a turn out at the top of the grade.. I use it to park and wash the windows and lights.. Then I just follow the trash to Cedarville.. Some of the nice burner folks dump there trash in a gravel pit about 35 mile for BRC. Isn't that just special
Last edited by unjonharley on Sun Nov 27, 2011 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
unjonharley

Postby motskyroonmatick » Sun Nov 27, 2011 1:47 pm

My advice to people packing up and wondering what to do with their trash is to.. Pack the trash first on the bottom with other things on top of it. That way it is easier to give away something useful rather than pawn your trash off on someone else when you realize all of your stuff won't fit in the car for the trip out.
Black Rock City Welding and Repair. The Night Time Warming Station.

When you pass the 4th "bridge out!" sign; the flaming death is all yours.-Knowmad-
motskyroonmatick

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: B.R.C. Welding&Repair.

Postby Sham » Sun Nov 27, 2011 1:49 pm

jkisha wrote:Hey, if the cops just started watching the road and writing littering tickets, I'd think that would put an end to it in short order. I think I remember signs saying fines for littering were somewhere around $2,500.00, yet I've never seen any cops out enforcing this.

Very true, but they will give you a ticket for going 26mph in a 25 zone. That's because that can sit on their flabby bottoms, eating donuts and sipping coffee while doing a radar detail. Stopping someone littering requires actual work.
ImageImage
Sham

Postby Rice » Sun Nov 27, 2011 1:53 pm

Now that the daytime Exodus is being handled by Pulsing, is it unreasonable to expect everyone to check their loads prior to leaving the playa??

How hard can it be?
Love Rice

Roach: "I feel like in this day and age, every girl should know how to build a flamethrower."
Rice

Postby Elderberry » Sun Nov 27, 2011 2:12 pm

Shambala wrote:
jkisha wrote:Hey, if the cops just started watching the road and writing littering tickets, I'd think that would put an end to it in short order. I think I remember signs saying fines for littering were somewhere around $2,500.00, yet I've never seen any cops out enforcing this.

Very true, but they will give you a ticket for going 26mph in a 25 zone. That's because that can sit on their flabby bottoms, eating donuts and sipping coffee while doing a radar detail. Stopping someone littering requires actual work.

How is sitting and watching traffic for trash to come flying out any harder than watching traffic and pointing a radar gun? Either way, you have to stow the donuts, flag the car and get out and write a ticket. Watching for trash has to be easier, when you think about it, you don't have to strain yourself holding up a radar gun and you would have both hands free for donuts and your coffee. :shock:
JK
Elderberry

Postby trilobyte » Sun Nov 27, 2011 2:38 pm

I can't imagine either the county or any of the towns have anywhere near the manpower to actively police that whole long stretch of highway for littering. It's a shame more people don't take more personal responsibility and do a better job of packing out. Whether it's deliberate littering or just an improperly secured road, it's one hell of a mess. Giving this a nudge to the Experiences At Burning Man board since I think that's a better fit.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Return to Experiences at Burning Man