How many camps offered food?

Share your pictures and video. Tell us about the sights, sounds, and scents, as well as the rumors and truths found at Burning Man.

How many camps offered food?

Postby atomicray » Sat Sep 17, 2011 5:55 pm

I am thinking meals...not a bite of this or a power bar or the like...something substantial.

Not that a camp that didn't offer food is less of a camp in any aspect, this is purely a birgin's question...thinking out loud.

Certainly the majority of people bring enough for themselves, but like some camps offered bars for common folk to drink at and not just for their camp mates. I am curious how many camps are known for food "bars".

Maybe soup, rice, lentils, beans, hot dogs, etc...something along those lines?

Thanks and have a great remaining weekend all!

Atomic Ray
"Almost nobody dances sober, unless they happen to be insane."
— H.P. Lovecraft
atomicray

Re: How many camps offered food?

Postby FIGJAM » Sat Sep 17, 2011 6:22 pm

Take a walk any mourning and some one will most likly offer you something.

I was going to get ice for my water cooler and this cute girl standing by the road offering a paper plate with a very complex omelette with blue berries and sliced peaches on the side.

It was the best omelette I've ever had and no way to remember all the stuff that was in it! 8)
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

"If I can't find an answer, I'll create one!!!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby Elderberry » Sat Sep 17, 2011 6:57 pm

Our camp served root beer floats Tuesday through Saturday and bacon quesadillas Thursday through Saturday mornings.
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
Elderberry

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby FIGJAM » Sat Sep 17, 2011 7:21 pm

I think it was wendsday I was looking for Mojo's camp as she had invited me to a BBQ.

Stop to talk to some guys at a camp and they were heading for some camp that had burgers.

Turned out they were doing burgers with all the fixens AND mongollion BBQ. 8)

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby atomicray » Sat Sep 17, 2011 7:30 pm

With all these entitlement types milling about, do you see mass lines building up at said food potentials?

I imagine mobs of zombie (mindless ravers) types looking for free food lol.

Atomic Ray
— H.P. Lovecraft
atomicray

Postby FIGJAM » Sat Sep 17, 2011 7:36 pm

There were no lines as these were unanounced spontanious affiars which is as it should be.

The gal giving out burgers said she gave out 60 burgers.

I don't know how many breakfasts were given out.

A lot of camps do hotcakes.
Last edited by FIGJAM on Sat Sep 17, 2011 7:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby Elderberry » Sat Sep 17, 2011 7:37 pm

We had lines that went from 7 all the way to 7:30! And I wouldn't classify the vast majority of them as "entitlement types" either. Just burners that thought an ice cold root beer float might be a refreshing and pleasant treat during the heat of the day--which is the whole reason we do this!
JK
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
Elderberry

Postby FIGJAM » Sat Sep 17, 2011 7:40 pm

Bravo John!!! 8)

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby atomicray » Sat Sep 17, 2011 7:44 pm

Good stuff indeed. The cafe looks like fun.

Atomic Ray
— H.P. Lovecraft
atomicray

Postby Savannah » Sat Sep 17, 2011 7:46 pm

Most food is a happy surprise, but it can be substantial. There are camps that engage in organized meals to the public, but it's usually for just an hour or two per day for 5 days or until their supply runs out; that sort of thing. Bars are much, much more common than "restaurants".

This was an unusual year for me. People (acquaintances and neighbors, not food camps) kept feeding me! It was very kind.
Savannah

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby atomicray » Sat Sep 17, 2011 7:49 pm

Savannah wrote:Most food is a happy surprise, but it can be substantial. There are camps that engage in organized meals to the public, but it's usually for just an hour or two per day for 5 days or until their supply runs out; that sort of thing. Bars are much, much more common than "restaurants".

This was an unusual year for me. People (acquaintances and neighbors, not food camps) kept feeding me! It was very kind.

lol did you look hungry?

Seriously, the food gifting makes sense to me...people bringing nothing and expecting to be fed, not so much :(

Atomic Ray
— H.P. Lovecraft
atomicray

Postby Savannah » Sat Sep 17, 2011 8:13 pm

I don't think I looked hungry. :) People were just sweet, and though my appetite was as low out there as it typically is, I always realized "It would be wise to accept this tasty gift."

People bringing zero to eat is not common, so don't let it concern you. While there is always excitement if people find out there is a public giveaway, I have never been (personally) annoyed by obnoxious strangers seeking food. Then again, I don't camp at a theme camp, or near the Esplanade (the high traffic area towards the center). I like a more "residential" area; D street or after, and not too near 2-3 on the clock or 9-10 o'clock.

Most people bring too much food. I brought back 80% of mine. Usually I eat half. :)
Savannah

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby Elderberry » Sat Sep 17, 2011 8:16 pm

I'm not sure where you're getting this, but in my experience those people are few and far between.

atomicray wrote:
Savannah wrote:Most food is a happy surprise, but it can be substantial. There are camps that engage in organized meals to the public, but it's usually for just an hour or two per day for 5 days or until their supply runs out; that sort of thing. Bars are much, much more common than "restaurants".

lol did you look hungry?

Seriously, the food gifting makes sense to me...people bringing nothing and expecting to be fed, not so much :(

Atomic Ray
JK
Elderberry

Postby True North » Sat Sep 17, 2011 8:33 pm

jkisha wrote:We had lines that went from 7 all the way to 7:30! And I wouldn't classify the vast majority of them as "entitlement types" either. Just burners that thought an ice cold root beer float might be a refreshing and pleasant treat during the heat of the day--which is the whole reason we do this!

I had one of those root beer floats! It WAS delicious, thank you :)
True North

Postby Drawingablank » Sat Sep 17, 2011 8:57 pm

We were between 5:45 and 5:30 on H and there were several camps offering food daily.

Fuckin Eh Gourmet across the street had a daily happy hour with hours devours and a different drink each night - very cool folks from BC who apparently also were in a band and provided live music sometimes as well.

Our neighbors with an unnamed camp giving out really delicious gourmet food most afternoons.

A guy down the block with the best venison jerky I've ever tasted.

We brought food for 8 days + but my playa appetite was approximately 1/10 of what I normally eat so we only ended up cooking about half the time.

None of the above had a wait at any time and they even sent folks into the street to give away food. But then things tend to be mellower in the suburbs.
Savannah: I don't know what it is, but no thread here escapes alive. You'll get 1 or 2 real answers at minimum, occasionally 10 or 12, and then we flog it until it's unrecognizable and you can't get your deposit back.

Yet Another Crappy Birgin Guide
Drawingablank

Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp

Postby theCryptofishist » Sat Sep 17, 2011 9:31 pm

It is advised that if you are a camp that is doing this daily in a big way, that you get a food permit.

Wasn't it somewhere on this board, that someone was saying it was becoming uncommon, and blaming the hippie for killing the resource?
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby Elderberry » Sat Sep 17, 2011 9:38 pm

We always get a food permit and pass inspection with flying colors. This year we even had the kitchen inspected because we were serving quesadillas. :D

Actually, since getting our first permit and talking with the inspectors, I personally have started using the same recommendations for all the cooking I do on the playa. Basically it's mostly common sense.
JK
Elderberry

Postby Snow » Sat Sep 17, 2011 9:49 pm

We got a food permit for Ein Hammer just for handing out strudel (pop tarts) and a shot of whipped cream. Yes is all just common sense and cleanliness. Things I HOPE you're doing if your serving food. You know keeping things sanitary, washing your hands and proper food storing/cooking temperatures.

Gifting food is alive and well on the playa. I don't think I ever eneded up fixing a meal for myself this year. Always end up with extra food. I don't go looking for meals, they just happen. And while setting up art our support folks always do an AMAZING job feeding us (including feed the artists). This year the favorite meal was poached salmon and asparagus. I eat better on-playa then at home.
"Art Is Not A Mirror, It Is A Hammer" - Jon Griersam
Snow

Postby trilobyte » Sat Sep 17, 2011 10:09 pm

Six.

Kidding, of course. I don't believe there are any hard stats, but I'd imagine it's in the thousands. It is enough that the Nevada health department sets up a location on playa so that people who registered for a health permit (necessary for camps preparing meals for 125 or more, as well as any camp serving food to the public) can pick it up. And enough that they have a small staff of inspectors working their way through the city checking to make sure that people serving to the public are permitted to do so, and that the food prep is happening in a manner that won't get people sick. We went through the permitting process and took the extra steps necessary to make sure our food prep area was in compliance and then some. Not because we feared the man as much as we just wanted to make sure that the only thing people got from us was awesome pizza.

There are some people who actually plan to mooch their way through Burning Man, but that's not the case with the overwhelming majority of burners. Most bring enough to cover their own needs, and probably more than enough with the intention of sharing (even if their camp isn't doing the gifting of food as part of their theme).
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby bradtem » Sat Sep 17, 2011 10:10 pm

There are some camps that specialize in food -- pancake playhouse, snack food glory hole, etc. There were more before they started requiring food permits.

There are tons and tons of camps who do sudden surprise feedings.

Walk around the city at mealtime and you will surely be offered a meal. Walk around on Sunday or Monday and people will try to force it on you because they have too much extra food. We've done that many times.

Folks in my camp have given out shaved ice and snow cones regularly, to long lines when word gets out.

Best this year was probably the Pittsburgher camp who brought a wood-fired pizza oven to the playa and handed out slices at 10 pm out on Haj St. I knew about it because some former campmates where camped there.

Also fantastic in days of yore was random pizza delivery. Once I was building an art installation and a volunteer just came up and handed us a pizza. As the label says, "You may not remember ordering a pizza but by now it is probably coming to you that you did."
See giant panoramas of BRC: http://www.templetons.com/brad/burn
bradtem

Burning Since: 1998

Postby FIGJAM » Sun Sep 18, 2011 6:33 am

Monday exidus, BMIR requested cigarettes and bacon, and it turned into a full kitchen "Cook your leftovers party" including more propane cause they ran out. 8)

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby AntiM » Sun Sep 18, 2011 6:58 am

We were sitting on our bike at Got Stickers, when a camp down the street dragged MyLarry down to get a plate of food for us, mid-week. Beef stew (we could eat, no tomatoes!), chicken with olives and some type of vegetarian patty (meh). Completely random and very welcome.

Hooka Lounge? Maybe?

And one evening, we got hot meals from both Raiders and the Boobies. Mind you, we usually do our own thing because of food allergies, but it was wonderful to be fed. We did our best to reciprocate with fresh sweet rolls and cookies.
Some sunshine, some dust, a little paint and a tutu. Yeah.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby Dr. Pyro » Sun Sep 18, 2011 8:09 am

I'm not sure this exactly counts, but BDC&WB cooked up hotdogs out on the open playa, like we do every year, just a few minutes after they burn The Man. We cooked 300 of them this year, using our flame thrower/fire cannon from the back of our mutant vehicle to cook some 20 dogs at a time. We had buns, mustard, ketchup, the works. No vegan dogs however. This ain't Burger King, you don't get it your way; you get it our way or you don't get it at all. We had lots of happy burners out there for sure. Met a sweet lady from Mission Viejo (I actually guessed that's where she was from and she was flabbergasted I got it right. Pure luck on my part.) who went by the playa name of Galaxy. She's a reformed Mormon (which means she isn't a Mormon any longer) and I think ended up with one of our campmates that night, only because she was found back at camp the next morning in a state of bliss. Anyway, our tradition is to cook hot dogs on burn night. Did any of you partake in our largess?
Dr. Pyro

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro

Postby tahiti_treat » Sun Sep 18, 2011 9:50 am

I had one of your root beer floats too, jkisha (happened across your camp randomly while out on a bike ride) and it was indeed a refreshing and pleasant treat! My campmates and I were also really impressed with your set-up and method of serving; very organized and efficient while still being friendly. Well done, and thank you!
tahiti_treat

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: NoTown

Postby atomicray » Sun Sep 18, 2011 11:05 am

Sounding more and more like a giant camp for adults lol.

Food allergies, sensitivities, and hidden ingredients are a concern with that many people...but it sounds like the issues or occurrences of the same are far and few between...which i good indeed.

I was putting some thought to what I could put together for my theme camp of future consideration, hence my interest and thus the thread. The prospect of being generous with food, making folks happy/full, and all that entails has much to offer one who is culinary inclined...which I am :D

But I am trying to do some baseline research for how much to bring and what sort of numbers to plan for...as well as keeping within budget, theme, and time management.

Most likely something that is inexpensive and easy to manipulate with flavors and techniques...like long grain rice and couscous.

This way I can offer a plain stable, a couple options such as thick soup, stew, or fortified sauce, and other bits such as meat, bean, fruit, and veg...this way the sensitive stomach, allergic, and those with elective or restrictive diets can layer a meal that meets their needs/wants, I can manage resources, and hopefully everyone involved can be sated without issue.

That and I can use my bread oven and forge to double as cooking tools.

Do most camps combine efforts for cooking? Is there a central kitchen?

Cheers all!

Atomic Ray
— H.P. Lovecraft
atomicray

Postby Elderberry » Sun Sep 18, 2011 11:06 am

Thanks.

Next year I think we're going to be expanding the concept. As this is still in the planning stages, anything mentioned here is subject to change. We have a huge playadome which we are thinking about air-conditioning and turning into a cafe with tables and chairs and waiter service. There will be a menu choice of root beer floats, sundays with choice of toppings and maybe smoothies, the menu isn't exactly set yet. There will be a time limit at the tables, probably kept by some sort of hour glass egg timer. Anyone that doesn't vacate their table after the time limit will be chased by waiters with hot air hair dryers until they leave! (we are hoping this will be a humorous way to keep people from lingering too long and allow us to accommodate more people) We'll also have the walk up service, but not sure exactly how it will be incorporated...probably the cafe will be open for two hours followed by the walk up service opening, again with the idea of accommodating a larger number of people than we could at the cafe.
JK
Elderberry

Postby atomicray » Sun Sep 18, 2011 11:22 am

As far as those "who show up with nothing and expect to be fed", I was thinking of sparkle ponies and others who show up for the all inclusive party where they pay for a ticket and everything is free...while this must be a small percentage, still a measure of the whole.

And while I would find a value of pride and satisfaction offering tasty nom noms to fellow participants, the thought of entitlers elbowing in would cause me some grief.

This comes from first hand experience of disaster relief where we were handing out food, water, blankets, clothing, etc. and then watching adult men beating/pushing down kids and women to steal their shares...we tried to deal with these guys but when you are out numbered 30:1 it is difficult.

So no I am not comparing burning man food gifting to disaster relief efforts lol...just saying where my restrictive grief for food lines comes from.

Oh well, we all have hurdles right?

Forceful self entitlers would be unwelcome in context but it would be hard to exclude anyone at the burning man event, as inclusion is one of the fundamental principles...shame that these types have no interest in getting it.

But I see this event and the various aspects that I can be involved with as therapeutic and reconstructive for me.

Besides, making food has always brought me a large measure of satisfaction.

Atomic Ray
— H.P. Lovecraft
atomicray

Postby atomicray » Sun Sep 18, 2011 11:24 am

jkisha wrote:Thanks.
Next year I think we're going to be expanding the concept. As this is still in the planning stages, anything mentioned here is subject to change. We have a huge playadome which we are thinking about air-conditioning and turning into a cafe with tables and chairs and waiter service. There will be a menu choice of root beer floats, sundays with choice of toppings and maybe smoothies, the menu isn't exactly set yet. There will be a time limit at the tables, probably kept by some sort of hour glass egg timer. Anyone that doesn't vacate their table after the time limit will be chased by waiters with hot air hair dryers until they leave! (we are hoping this will be a humorous way to keep people from lingering too long and allow us to accommodate more people) We'll also have the walk up service, but not sure exactly how it will be incorporated...probably the cafe will be open for two hours followed by the walk up service opening, again with the idea of accommodating a larger number of people than we could at the cafe.

That sounds great...as well as taxing! Best of luck and success with the project!

Atomic Ray
— H.P. Lovecraft
atomicray

Postby AntiM » Sun Sep 18, 2011 11:26 am

If I brought my own root beer, could I get a custom float? I ask because most root beers have sodium benzoate in them. I often bring my own coke to bars, get weird looks, but they mix it the way I like if I ask nicely enough. I've brought my own rum, coke, ice and cup, and just enjoyed the ambiance!
AntiM

Postby AntiM » Sun Sep 18, 2011 11:32 am

atomicray wrote:Sounding more and more like a giant camp for adults lol.

Food allergies, sensitivities, and hidden ingredients are a concern with that many people...but it sounds like the issues or occurrences of the same are far and few between...which i good indeed.

I was putting some thought to what I could put together for my theme camp of future consideration, hence my interest and thus the thread. The prospect of being generous with food, making folks happy/full, and all that entails has much to offer one who is culinary inclined...which I am :D

But I am trying to do some baseline research for how much to bring and what sort of numbers to plan for...as well as keeping within budget, theme, and time management.

Most likely something that is inexpensive and easy to manipulate with flavors and techniques...like long grain rice and couscous.

This way I can offer a plain stable, a couple options such as thick soup, stew, or fortified sauce, and other bits such as meat, bean, fruit, and veg...this way the sensitive stomach, allergic, and those with elective or restrictive diets can layer a meal that meets their needs/wants, I can manage resources, and hopefully everyone involved can be sated without issue.

That and I can use my bread oven and forge to double as cooking tools.

Do most camps combine efforts for cooking? Is there a central kitchen?

Cheers all!

Atomic Ray

I know in Hushville, there is no central kitchen. You have what you bring. There is spontaneous sharing though.
The Booby Bar had a central kitchen, but we never used it. We did eat one meal, when we were urged to and it wasn't something we were allergic to. (teriyaki chicken, yum yum yum) There's a reason we always have our own kitchen, so we can do things our way. Otherwise, we can get pretty hungry.
Couscous is wonderful on the playa, provided you aren't allergic. We love it for a quick hot meal. We are looking at ways to do rice which won't involve clean up nightmares, perhaps pre-cooking and freezing.
I appreciate those who cook for the masses, it is a wonderful act of generosity and love, but I'd never tackle it myself!
AntiM

Next

Return to Experiences at Burning Man