Did the man look smaller/lower to you this year?

Share your pictures and video. Tell us about the sights, sounds, and scents, as well as the rumors and truths found at Burning Man.

Did the man look smaller/lower to you this year?

Postby junglesmacks » Wed Sep 14, 2011 1:27 pm

I'm curious what your take on it is..

Did the man look lower to you than he did last year? I had guessed that he was 20'-30' lower than last year. I actually just had a dialogue with the home office, so I found out exact numbers.

What did you think?
Last edited by junglesmacks on Wed Sep 14, 2011 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
junglesmacks

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Re: Did the man look smaller/lower to you this year?

Postby ibdave » Wed Sep 14, 2011 1:30 pm

what man?? all I saw was that amazing TEMPLE........... :shock: 8) 8)
I was Born OK the 1st Time....

Don't bring defaultia to Burning Man, take Burning Man to defaultia...... graidawg
ibdave

Burning Since: 1998

Postby Trishntek » Wed Sep 14, 2011 1:37 pm

Considering the temple was 120 feet tall, everything looked smaller!
RETROFROLIC, the place of Pink, Pain and Pleasure!
http://www.retrofrolic.com
Some call me Tnt,,,, works for me!
Trishntek

Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Retrofrolic!

Postby Eric » Wed Sep 14, 2011 1:40 pm

I think the Man looked like he was crossing his legs trying not to pee on the playa. He only looked like he was "striding" from certain angles, from everywhere else- holding pee.
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

Regarding Ticket Scammers and Scalpers

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly
Eric

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby shykat » Wed Sep 14, 2011 1:49 pm

I agree what people have been saying,the Temple was so impressive that evrything elese looked and felt smaller.I did love the color of the man this year and thought that the postion change was a step in the right direction.

My money is on: yes he was lower,no he was not shorter.

edited to answer jsmacks org question
Last edited by shykat on Wed Sep 14, 2011 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm the one that has to die when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life, the way I want to ...Jimi Hendrix
shykat

Postby junglesmacks » Wed Sep 14, 2011 1:49 pm

Eric wrote:I think the Man looked like he was crossing his legs trying not to pee on the playa. He only looked like he was "striding" from certain angles, from everywhere else- holding pee.

Lol.. the girl and I would make up new names for him depending on the angle we were at. Prancing man, peeing man, running man..

Also, just FYI.. the official man height this year was 104 ft. vs last years 100 ft. The man has been right around 40 feet for "a while now", with only the base height changing.

I couldn't believe it when home office researched and got back to me. All burn long I kept saying.. "God he looks lower than last year.."
junglesmacks

Postby junglesmacks » Wed Sep 14, 2011 1:50 pm

shykat wrote:I did love the color of the man this year

+1!! At first I wasn't so hot on it when I saw it in the distance.. but as I got closer and saw the purple/UV? Wowwww.. Killer thinking to put the purple/UV/blacklight sections in to make the CORE effigies react!
junglesmacks

Postby Elderberry » Wed Sep 14, 2011 1:52 pm

I think the "striding" position of the man this year could have easily provided the illusion that he was smaller.
junglesmacks wrote:
Eric wrote:I think the Man looked like he was crossing his legs trying not to pee on the playa. He only looked like he was "striding" from certain angles, from everywhere else- holding pee.

Lol.. the girl and I would make up new names for him depending on the angle we were at. Prancing man, peeing man, running man..

Also, just FYI.. the official man height this year was 104 ft. vs last years 100 ft. The man has been right around 40 feet for "a while now", with only the base height changing.

I couldn't believe it when home office researched and got back to me. All burn long I kept saying.. "God he looks lower than last year.."
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
Elderberry

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby moonrise » Wed Sep 14, 2011 1:55 pm

I'm fairly sure he was shorter, I think I read it somewhere and the Temple did overshadow him, uh huh!

He didn't make a crumpling sound when he fell, like he did last year (yep, I got riiiight up front this year) but sure was colorful, and the flames of green, then pink n orange were a nice touch (probably a Flaming Lotus Girls thing?)

Everyone said it was easier to get up close because the Trojan Horse blew a lot of peoples doors off the night before, okay, worked for me and mine...we did back out of the "circling mosh pit" after he fell, yikes!

ETA I guess I was wrong, lol.
I'm the MAN in a truck, burner who is stuck, you're in luck! I'll whip out my BIG tow chain and not charge you, not even one lousy buck!
moonrise

Postby junglesmacks » Wed Sep 14, 2011 2:00 pm

moonrise wrote:I'm fairly sure he was shorter, I think I read it somewhere and the Temple did overshadow him, uh huh!

No.. believe it or not, he was the same height as last year, and the platform was 4' taller as well! I really think it was the size of the temple that gave the smaller illusion..

104' in 2011 vs 100' in 2010.
Last edited by junglesmacks on Wed Sep 14, 2011 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
junglesmacks

Postby Cassidy » Wed Sep 14, 2011 4:45 pm

jkisha wrote:I think the "striding" position of the man this year could have easily provided the illusion that he was smaller.

Unlike your new avatar. Jezuz.

Way t'go TriloB. :wink:
Cassidy

Postby junglesmacks » Wed Sep 14, 2011 5:19 pm

Cassidy wrote:
jkisha wrote:I think the "striding" position of the man this year could have easily provided the illusion that he was smaller.

Contrary to popular belief, there really are some things that just don't need enlarging. JKs avatar is proof.
junglesmacks

Postby mudpuppy000 » Wed Sep 14, 2011 5:44 pm

junglesmacks wrote:
Cassidy wrote:

Contrary to popular belief, there really are some things that just don't need enlarging. JKs avatar is proof.

Yeah... Pretty much makes all of eplaya NSFW now, lol.
Orphan Endorphin Camp - 7:00 and A for 2015
Micro/Homebrew - Infused Vodkas - Magic Goats
http://orphanendorphin.com/
mudpuppy000

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Orphan Endorphin

Postby trilobyte » Wed Sep 14, 2011 5:57 pm

I loved everything about the man this year, except that the top sides of the head had no neon. That meant that, to us at 9:00 (and I imagine the folks at 3:00), he didn't really have a fully formed head at night. There was the body shape, and then what looked like two antennae sticking out. All things considered, that's a pretty trivial complaint. I loved the man-base (simple and clean, kept the focus on the man above and the surrounding art), and loved the striding pose. Great job to the crew(s) that made that happen!

If it seemed smaller, that was probably because of the sheer scale of the temple. Even David Best's biggest temple was shorter than the man, as he explained it he always designed it to be 2 feet shorter than the man out of respect for his hosts.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby Lassen Forge » Wed Sep 14, 2011 6:19 pm

It looked as if it was designed for a clean, straightforward burn this year... and when it lit off, it looked like the skewed burn issue of last year was resolved. EXCELLENT engineering!

Of course, the effect of the midlevel detonation reminded me an awful lot of Exploding man a decade or so ago. Made me wonder if we witnessed the return of Kim.

(And if you don't know, don't ask...)

The temple - was beautiful, but it WAS huge. Kinda wish the man WAS larger/taller just to keep the persoective, ya know... then again, it was in a way a rite of passage. FNA!!
Lassen Forge

Location: Where it's always... Wednesday. Don't lose your head over it.

Postby theCryptofishist » Wed Sep 14, 2011 7:41 pm

I thought the man wiht the "stride" and on tippy toes, instead of planted full feet on the ground looked like a model (and probably a sparklepony) on a runway. That, plus the multiple colors of neon made it seem that not only had he become "feminized" but transformed not into one of the many capable and powerful women that attend (and create) the event, but as the typical product of an american 21st century obsession with princesses.

So, if he looked lower, then it was in my esteem for becoming a representative of a despised group...
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby junglesmacks » Wed Sep 14, 2011 7:45 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:I thought the man wiht the "stride" and on tippy toes, instead of planted full feet on the ground looked like a model (and probably a sparklepony) on a runway.

Lol.. I kept calling him "prancing man" the whole burn..
junglesmacks

Postby ConnieH » Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:45 am

I was told the Man was a Woman this year and had a vagina...
ConnieH

Postby BBadger » Thu Sep 15, 2011 11:04 am

I would believe that about the height. This year I didn't even feel compelled to go up to the man and ascend into the structure like last year, and I only realized that we could actually ascend the stairs later in the week. It was only then that it did become clear that the man structure was pretty much about the same size as last year.

I do wonder though, was it just the total height of the platform and man that was the same/slightly taller? Because the last year the man may have been smaller, giving the impression that the man himself was elevated higher at least by the platform the statue was standing from, even if the total height was the same. The man seemed shorter this year for me for other reasons as well, because we were camped out further, and he seemed shorter, if visible at all, from the camp.

Finally, the man may have seemed less grand because of the lighting. The man last year had so many floodlights on him all the time, while the lighting on the man this year seemed much more subdued.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.
BBadger

Postby MyPlayaUserName » Sat Sep 17, 2011 8:57 am

A young Burner kept whining about the height of the man to me. I was personally very pleased as I wasn't much a fan of the sky-scraper-like man on 2010. He seemed tall to me, and the vibe around him was very chilled out. Climbing to the top of the platform was wonderful!
MyPlayaUserName

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Ass Stamp Camp

Postby Bob » Sat Sep 17, 2011 11:57 am

The Man was rocking the bellbottoms this year. Ironic they did the neon in DPW colors.
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
Bob

Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Postby lucky420 » Sun Sep 18, 2011 9:16 am

Yep fishy, I thought the man looked kind of womanish too. It was probably his "stride" stance, but his hips looked fuller this year. Early in the week out by the man I heard someone proclaiming through a bullhorn that "the man is a woman" :lol:
Oh my god, it's HUGE!
lucky420

Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Postby Lassen Forge » Mon Sep 19, 2011 2:45 pm

Now that would be an interesting Rite of Passage.
Lassen Forge

Location: Where it's always... Wednesday. Don't lose your head over it.

Postby junglesmacks » Mon Sep 19, 2011 2:49 pm

BBadger wrote:I do wonder though, was it just the total height of the platform and man that was the same/slightly taller?

The actual size of the man has not changed in years.. only the platform height. The man himself was the same exact size as last year.. but the platform was 4 feet taller this year.
junglesmacks

Postby RedHeaven » Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:43 am

I think the man just looked lower for 2 reasons: The temple was so big, and s"he" was multi colored and blended into the city, what I thought was too much. I know, whiny, but if I had to choose I would keep the man stark colored, something that would contrast with all the assortment out there. Whiteish and light green, plain blue, even that green and pink watermelon man in 05 stood out. (That or the city lights werent so bright?)
The man base was my fave so far, was very comfortable down there and easy to climb. I have fear of heights and I was able to get up there. The torch chariots of fire things at the side were really lovely, and I enjoyed the little love seats surrounding.

6 burns and I still forget to spend a little more time at the man early in the week before he starts to get poked and prodded over. Ive had a tradition since my first year that I go see him after the sun sets on my first night. Glad I kept that this year but would of been nice to go sit there by the Robot and groove a second time. Ahhhh BRC.....my head explodes daily.
RedHeaven

Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Cirque Du Cliche

Postby Mr.Shinehammer » Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:08 pm

The reason his/her hips looked fuller this year was because it [i]was[/i] fuller; to accommodate the striding position which Rod Garrett (may he rest in peace) chose for this year's burn, a custom metal fabricated hip assembly was engineered and installed in conjunction with rotating metal shoulder brackets. First time ever that metal was in the man beyond the fasteners used. There has been much speculation as to the gender of this year's man and I can't say for sure, but the fella that designs the man (exact dimensions) did get married on the playa this year. Personally, based on the torso/leg/arm dimensions and the fact that the neon in the belt area looked like fallopian tubes, I'd venture that the man was indeed a woman, a tribute to the bride.
Mr.Shinehammer

Postby Bob » Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:13 am

Mr.Shinehammer wrote:The reason his/her hips looked fuller this year was because it was fuller; to accommodate the striding position which Rod Garrett (may he rest in peace) chose for this year's burn, a custom metal fabricated hip assembly was engineered and installed in conjunction with rotating metal shoulder brackets. First time ever that metal was in the man beyond the fasteners used. There has been much speculation as to the gender of this year's man and I can't say for sure, but the fella that designs the man (exact dimensions) did get married on the playa this year. Personally, based on the torso/leg/arm dimensions and the fact that the neon in the belt area looked like fallopian tubes, I'd venture that the man was indeed a woman, a tribute to the bride.

Fabricated steel boots and shoulder brackets have been used for quite a few years now.
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
Bob

Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Postby Simon of the Playa » Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:51 am

i kinda liked "Disco Jesus"...
Rated East Coast Fucko, this by no means represents BM or its org...its just some crotchety old fuck

Frida Be You & Me

A gift for the Playa

THIS YEARS POSTERS

2015 posters
Simon of the Playa

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Postby Roberto Dobbisano » Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:52 am

"10 principles? you cant HANDLE the 10 principles..."
Roberto Dobbisano

Postby H.G.Crosby » Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:57 am

Once I noticed I was on fire, I decided to relax and enjoy the fall™
H.G.Crosby

Next

Return to Experiences at Burning Man