Ever find your stolen bike?

Share your pictures and video. Tell us about the sights, sounds, and scents, as well as the rumors and truths found at Burning Man.

Re: Ever find your stolen bike?

Postby A Jester » Sat Oct 08, 2011 5:49 pm

Yeah, I just broke some jerk's window because he didn't have a piece of plywood covering it. Totally his fault.
ZaphodBurner wrote:
The difference between buying a ticket from a scalper and prostituting yourself for one is, if you suck dick for a ticket and brag about it, burners will still respect you.
A Jester
 
Posts: 341
Joined: Wed May 25, 2011 1:28 pm

Re: Ever find your stolen bike?

Postby MrMullen » Sun Oct 09, 2011 9:33 am

My statement and logic (No matter how flawed it is) only applies only to Unlocked bikes at Burning Man. It does not apply to anything else in this world, so don't get all Holy Than Now I've Been To Burning Man 20 Times on me.

Lock your bike at Burning Man or it will be stolen and you have no one to blame but yourself. Thieves are scum and, yes, they are at Burning Man. My WIfe's and my bikes are lock 24/7 while at Burning Man; in camp, out of camp, short trips to get coffee, shorter trips to go pee. They are always locked.


jkisha wrote:I would also guess then, by that logic, if you had unprotected sex with a woman and she got pregnant it would be her fault?
Sure would be nice, but guess who'd be stuck for the child support? :wink:
BBadger wrote:
MrMullen wrote:Both of them were jerk offs. The bike thief for stealing and the "victim" for not locking his bike.


I don't understand this flawed logic you're on about. I place the blame squarely on the thief, as without the presence of thieves, there would not be need for the "victims" to lock up bikes. Do you also have the same mentality for people who do not lock their doors? Or if the person didn't use a "big enough" lock that couldn't be broken? I also wish that thief did get his ass handed to him as a nice memento to take home and think about, because no doubt that criminal will try it again.
--
Mr Mullen
MrMullen
 
Posts: 314
Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2004 7:39 pm
Location: San Diego

Re: Ever find your stolen bike?

Postby BBadger » Sun Oct 09, 2011 8:33 pm

MrMullen wrote:My statement and logic (No matter how flawed it is) only applies only to Unlocked bikes at Burning Man. It does not apply to anything else in this world, so don't get all Holy Than Now I've Been To Burning Man 20 Times on me.

Lock your bike at Burning Man or it will be stolen and you have no one to blame but yourself. Thieves are scum and, yes, they are at Burning Man. My WIfe's and my bikes are lock 24/7 while at Burning Man; in camp, out of camp, short trips to get coffee, shorter trips to go pee. They are always locked.


I'm sorry, but is this some kind of "Burning Man culture" thing that it is "open season" for unlocked bikes at the event? That when our bikes are stolen we're just supposed to laugh and say "aw shucks, MY BAD!"

No. Fundamentally, the problem lies in the fact that people steal what is not theirs. Accepting that bikes are some sort of exception is a slippery slope to tolerating everything and anything at the event being stolen without care. But no. Burning Man is not some hippie event where everything is free for the taking if it isn't bolted down to the playa. If that's the new "Burning Man culture" thing, we need to invite MORE law enforcement to the event to clean out this plague of degenerate riff-raff that pollutes the event and makes this kind of behavior seem like a "norm," lest Burning Man turn into something like the Reading Festival. At that point I may consider bringing a gun to protect my belongings.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.
User avatar
BBadger
 
Posts: 3964
Joined: Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:37 am
Location: (near) Portland, OR, USA
Burning Since: I'm not sure

Re: Ever find your stolen bike?

Postby A Jester » Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:52 pm

MrMullen wrote:My statement and logic (No matter how flawed it is) only applies only to Unlocked bikes at Burning Man. It does not apply to anything else in this world, so don't get all Holy Than Now I've Been To Burning Man 20 Times on me.

Lock your bike at Burning Man or it will be stolen and you have no one to blame but yourself. Thieves are scum and, yes, they are at Burning Man. My WIfe's and my bikes are lock 24/7 while at Burning Man; in camp, out of camp, short trips to get coffee, shorter trips to go pee. They are always locked.



Oh, I'm not Burnier than thou, I've never been to The Burning Man. You are way more of a burner than me. But help me understand a few things...

Doesn't locking your bikes all the time make them harder to ride? (yeah, cheap shot, I take it back)

If your point is: you've been warned and should know it's a real risk.
I agree.

If your point is: if you get your bike stolen, you're a jerk.
Fuck off.

Maybe I misunderstood you, it happens to me all the time.
ZaphodBurner wrote:
The difference between buying a ticket from a scalper and prostituting yourself for one is, if you suck dick for a ticket and brag about it, burners will still respect you.
A Jester
 
Posts: 341
Joined: Wed May 25, 2011 1:28 pm

Previous

Return to Experiences at Burning Man

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests