Help catch the guy who assaulted the Musical Dancing Robot!

Share your pictures and video. Tell us about the sights, sounds, and scents, as well as the rumors and truths found at Burning Man.

Help catch the guy who assaulted the Musical Dancing Robot!

Postby trilobyte » Sat Sep 10, 2011 12:47 pm

We need your help!

Spiff (ePlaya user wugwug), who created the musical dancing robot costume (see RedHeaven's awesome picture of it below) and performed on the playa throughout the week, was assaulted at Burning Man on Friday night (there's a thread about it here)! Someone attacked and tackled him and completely destroyed his 45 pound costume.

wugwug wrote:Someone leg tackled me while I was wearing 45 pounds of robot and had almost no visibility through the robot head. The wind was knocked out of me, my arms, legs, ribs, and neck were bruised, and my project was completely destroyed. 10-15 people witnessed this and yet nobody stopped the assailant from leaving the scene.

wugwug wrote:I was at the base of the blue balloon sky line thing. It was Friday night just after the trojan horse burn. The playa was very crowded. There were plenty of witnesses including four of the guy's friends who all left with him.

If you saw this happen, or know who the perpetrator may be, PLEASE come forward and get in touch with wugwug! There were some witnesses, unfortunately nobody intervened (it's unclear if the people watching were all friends of the attacker, or if people may have thought this was some kind of performance). An incident report was filed with the rangers. Here's some additional description:

wugwug wrote:The guy was very tall, around 6' 5'' or so. He was very pale and had a prominent pointy nose. He spoke with a slight European accent that I could not place. The incident took place at the base of the blue balloon trail at around 10pm on Friday night. He had three friends as well as his girlfriend with him. I heard them telling him that what he'd done was really stupid and yet none of them were ready to own up to it and bring in the authorities. He was wearing a fuzzy coat and hat and I should also mention that he was completely clean. He'd probably been on the Playa for 10 minutes, worked up and ready to party.

DancingRobot.jpg
Dancing Robot pic courtesy RedHeaven
DancingRobot.jpg (62.56 KiB) Viewed 1663 times
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Re: Help catch the guy who assaulted the Musical Dancing Rob

Postby junglesmacks » Sat Sep 10, 2011 1:10 pm

So. Fucked. Up.

The single most asshattery event of 2011 that I've heard of yet..
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
junglesmacks

Camp Name: Your mom's tent

Postby RedHeaven » Sat Sep 10, 2011 1:17 pm

Yeah this takes the cake as the worst asshattery of the year in BRC. I've been spreading the word.

I LOVE YOU ROBOT MAN!!
RedHeaven

Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Cirque Du Cliche 4:30 and Dandelion Wine

Postby C.f.M. » Sat Sep 10, 2011 1:48 pm

SEX ROBOT
SEX ROBOT

I wish I'd seen you, that robot get-up is awesome. Good luck.
C.f.M.

Burning Since: 2009

Postby RedHeaven » Sun Sep 11, 2011 9:43 am

I got another pic for ya

RedHeaven

Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Cirque Du Cliche 4:30 and Dandelion Wine

Postby jkisha » Sun Sep 11, 2011 9:53 am

RedHeaven wrote:I got another pic for ya

JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
jkisha

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby jkisha » Sun Sep 11, 2011 9:54 am

Definitely hope you catch him!

But if you do, what will the consequences be for him?
JK
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
jkisha

Postby ygmir » Sun Sep 11, 2011 9:58 am

jkisha wrote:Definitely hope you catch him!

But if you do, what will the consequences be for him?

a sound fisting

Lube:

YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Postby jkisha » Sun Sep 11, 2011 10:01 am

Sounds appropriate, but other than that, are their any legal remedies? Assault charges? Distraction of property? Etc.
JK
jkisha

Postby theCryptofishist » Sun Sep 11, 2011 10:52 am

Were you here for the clown/bicycle assault. It ended up with an apology that satisfied the assaulted.
Here
And here
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Postby polyresin » Sun Sep 11, 2011 12:12 pm

I LOVE this costume!!! Again, I will gladly donate to a costume reconstruction fund... I'm sure others would readily donate as well. I wish I had seen something.
polyresin

Postby jkisha » Sun Sep 11, 2011 12:20 pm

Unfortunately, I miss all the drama.(maybe I should say fortunately)

An apology might work--assuming it came with the funds needed to fix the costume.

theCryptofishist wrote:Were you here for the clown/bicycle assault. It ended up with an apology that satisfied the assaulted.
Here
And here
JK
jkisha

Postby theCryptofishist » Sun Sep 11, 2011 2:30 pm

jkisha wrote:Unfortunately, I miss all the drama.(maybe I should say fortunately)

An apology might work--assuming it came with the funds needed to fix the costume.

theCryptofishist wrote:Were you here for the clown/bicycle assault. It ended up with an apology that satisfied the assaulted.
Here
And here

I was offering it up as an actual case of eplaya helping find a creep. The matter of apology or not is so not up to me.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Postby jkisha » Sun Sep 11, 2011 2:53 pm

Ahhh...missed your meaning. But I hope they find the culprit however he is delt with afterwords.

theCryptofishist wrote:
jkisha wrote:Unfortunately, I miss all the drama.(maybe I should say fortunately)

Here
And here

I was offering it up as an actual case of eplaya helping find a creep. The matter of apology or not is so not up to me.
JK
jkisha

Postby devilgrrl » Sun Sep 11, 2011 8:35 pm

I hope they find this bozo. I'm so sorry to hear what happened to the dancing robot. :-(
devilgrrl

Burning Since: 1999

Postby phreakshew » Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:37 pm

GRRRRR!

I WISH I HAD SEEN THAT! I would have done SOMETHING to stop that asshole! We saw you dancing at the base of the Man sometime during the week - Thursday night was it? Anyway, you were one of our fondest memories and we wished we had gotten a picture with you - but we were too busy laughing our asses off!

If you set up some sort of donation account I could cough up a little (hey even if it's 5 bucks if you multiply that by a lot of good Burners you might get enough to help offset the costs of a new costume.) Hope you aren't too bruised up.

)'(

Fringe
c is for cookie
phreakshew

Postby Savannah » Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:38 pm

I would contribute towards a Kickstarter for a replacement of the Dancing Robot costume as well. I never got to see him dance, but it sounds like he was wonderful.
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby CornMan » Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:48 am

trilobyte wrote:We need your help!

Spiff (ePlaya user wugwug), who created the musical dancing robot costume (see RedHeaven's awesome picture of it below) and performed on the playa throughout the week, was assaulted at Burning Man on Friday night (there's a thread about it here)! Someone attacked and tackled him and completely destroyed his 45 pound costume.

wugwug wrote:Someone leg tackled me while I was wearing 45 pounds of robot and had almost no visibility through the robot head. The wind was knocked out of me, my arms, legs, ribs, and neck were bruised, and my project was completely destroyed. 10-15 people witnessed this and yet nobody stopped the assailant from leaving the scene.

wugwug wrote:I was at the base of the blue balloon sky line thing. It was Friday night just after the trojan horse burn. The playa was very crowded. There were plenty of witnesses including four of the guy's friends who all left with him.

If you saw this happen, or know who the perpetrator may be, PLEASE come forward and get in touch with wugwug! There were some witnesses, unfortunately nobody intervened (it's unclear if the people watching were all friends of the attacker, or if people may have thought this was some kind of performance). An incident report was filed with the rangers. Here's some additional description:

wugwug wrote:The guy was very tall, around 6' 5'' or so. He was very pale and had a prominent pointy nose. He spoke with a slight European accent that I could not place. The incident took place at the base of the blue balloon trail at around 10pm on Friday night. He had three friends as well as his girlfriend with him. I heard them telling him that what he'd done was really stupid and yet none of them were ready to own up to it and bring in the authorities. He was wearing a fuzzy coat and hat and I should also mention that he was completely clean. He'd probably been on the Playa for 10 minutes, worked up and ready to party.

DancingRobot.jpg

Maybe he mistook the dancing robot for a scalper bot.
I am so bummed I missed seeing the dancing robot. Did the dancing robot get a ticket this year?
The camp with a difference
Never mind the weather
When you camp with Plug & Ply
Your holiday's forever
CornMan

Return to Experiences at Burning Man