Bizarre LEO experience/observation..

Share your pictures and video. Tell us about the sights, sounds, and scents, as well as the rumors and truths found at Burning Man.

Re: Bizarre LEO experience/observation..

Postby CaverX » Sun Sep 18, 2011 1:12 pm

In my search to find the song you speak of, I accidentally found this, I just had to share...

[edit: BBcode is enabled, why link no show? meh]

jkisha wrote:Were you the guys playing that song with the "my vagina" lyrics? That was one of the funniest songs I've ever heard.

Kenny Z wrote:
shykat wrote:We saw a pair following the sardine art car who were playing some silly song and the two leo's where laughing their asses off ,it was pretty funny......

Ha ha! That was me driving! We were playing a song by Jon Lajoie - Show Me Your Genitals. He pulled up next to us and stopped us. I wrote down the name of the song for him. He gifted me too! :lol:

Kenny Z
CaverX

Postby Irreverent Moniker » Mon Sep 19, 2011 1:26 pm

Isotopia wrote:My personal experience this year:

1) BLM law enforcement officers are a posse of small prick assholes hell-bent on continuing to the practice of wiping their collective asses on the Constitution. At some point the ACLU ends up with a case that ends up taking them to the tool shed

2) Pershing Co. law enforcement officers were absolutely stellar in their interactions and responses with participants. Of course, there were some arrests but most of them were Darwinian in nature. You had to either a real fuck up or a Level 10 cluetard to incur their wrath.

Hah, my experience was the complete opposite

All the BLM guys I encountered were ridiculously nice and obviously enjoying being there. They didn't seem to care about much other than letting their presence deter any law breaking. They were nice and talkative with the other burners, interested in the art, enjoyed the music, and even posed for pictures (one of them requested a picture with one of my male campmates who was wearing nothing but a "caution hot" sign around his waste). A couple of them had even attended previous years as regular burners rather than LEOs.

The local LEOs were ok in comparison to previous years, but still pretty much the opposite of the BLM guys. Fairly stand off-ish, didn't want to talk to anyone, cruised the streets looking for laws being broken, etc.
Walk tall, kick ass, learn to speak Arabic, love music and never forget you come from a long line of truth seekers, lovers and warriors.
Irreverent Moniker

Postby Lord Of Ruin » Mon Sep 19, 2011 3:00 pm

EspressoDude wrote:check out the front of their vests SHERIFF, name....lower left dude has a squirrel on his vest (repels acorns?)

They're called Morale Patches. That one is this: http://milspecmonkey.com/store/patches/ ... t-squirrel
The fox provides for himself, but God provides for the lion - W. Blake (attribution corrected)
Lord Of Ruin

Burning Since: 2017

Postby buckycat » Wed Oct 26, 2011 4:33 pm

Riding my bike approx 7:00 and H, I turn corner to find a Pershing County Sheriff vehicle in middle of road, seemingly unattended, doors open. Uh oh, someone in trouble, getting busted, someone hurt? Surprisingly, I hear widespread laughter all around me. I look next to the LEO vehicle, and see one of those plywood tableaus, you know, with a funny scene, and head-sized cutouts that you can stick your face in for a funny photo. This tableau is of two cows, graphically going at it cowwy-style, 2 people's smiling faces mugging through the holes. Then the faces disappear, and from behind the plywood come 2 Pershing Co officers, laughing, they get back in their vehicle to supportive hoots and hollars from surrounding burners.
buckycat

Postby Savannah » Thu Oct 27, 2011 7:12 pm

Thank you for that, buckycat. :lol:
Savannah

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby A Jester » Fri Oct 28, 2011 9:56 am

2) Pershing Co. law enforcement officers were absolutely stellar in their interactions and responses with participants. Of course, there were some arrests but most of them were Darwinian in nature. You had to either a real fuck up or a Level 10 cluetard to incur their wrath.

This.

Also, the new Sheriff is pro-Burning Man, and has reached out to the community in order to have good relations.

Great story Bucky.
ZaphodBurner wrote:
The difference between buying a ticket from a scalper and prostituting yourself for one is, if you suck dick for a ticket and brag about it, burners will still respect you.
A Jester

Postby Dr Helix » Fri Oct 28, 2011 2:13 pm

I put this in another thread I think, but bears repeating. My only interaction with LEO's was two BLM guys on quads cruising slowly up the street. I pulled up next to them in my little MV and shouted, "we're racing for pinks!" The one on my right laughed and gunned his quad and we had a little race (I think we broke the speed limit and were going 6-8mph) for about 100 ft. We then both waved at each other and went in different directions. Very cool and reinforced my belief that many do enjoy their time out there.
"Love, Rockets and write when you get work"
Dr Helix

Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Interaction Cafe

Postby BBadger » Sat Oct 29, 2011 7:33 pm

A Jester wrote:

This.

Also, the new Sheriff is pro-Burning Man, and has reached out to the community in order to have good relations.

Pro or not, I wonder about the previous administration, and whether the officers were already more open to the event, but the prior administration instructed them not to get too involved or be too friendly lest it give the impression of approval or a dilution of authority. I would think that it would be hard for anyone short of an absolutely bitter person to not at least be amused by something he/she is seeing at Burning Man.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.
BBadger

Postby junglesmacks » Sun Oct 30, 2011 9:11 am

BBadger wrote:
A Jester wrote:

This.

Pro or not, I wonder about the previous administration, and whether the officers were already more open to the event, but the prior administration instructed them not to get too involved or be too friendly lest it give the impression of approval or a dilution of authority. I would think that it would be hard for anyone short of an absolutely bitter person to not at least be amused by something he/she is seeing at Burning Man.

No, it goes way more than just interaction. Last year was CRAZY with the amount of sheriff presence. Remember how they were cruising on quads EVERYWHERE up and down the streets, peering into camps? Cars flying across the playa with lights flashing every 30 mins? This year was unbelievably different. They were practically non-existent compared to 2010.
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
junglesmacks

Postby BBadger » Sun Oct 30, 2011 11:09 am

junglesmacks wrote:No, it goes way more than just interaction. Last year was CRAZY with the amount of sheriff presence. Remember how they were cruising on quads EVERYWHERE up and down the streets, peering into camps? Cars flying across the playa with lights flashing every 30 mins? This year was unbelievably different. They were practically non-existent compared to 2010.

Hmm, I saw more police this year than last, but that might be more anecdotal. I saw one arrest each both years. I'm more wondering about the instructions given to those police rather than the shear number and presence. They can be everywhere, but if they're going "above and beyond the call of duty" to try and find trouble, that's another thing.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

BBadger

Postby junglesmacks » Sun Oct 30, 2011 11:28 am

BBadger wrote:
junglesmacks wrote:No, it goes way more than just interaction. Last year was CRAZY with the amount of sheriff presence. Remember how they were cruising on quads EVERYWHERE up and down the streets, peering into camps? Cars flying across the playa with lights flashing every 30 mins? This year was unbelievably different. They were practically non-existent compared to 2010.

Hmm, I saw more police this year than last, but that might be more anecdotal. I saw one arrest each both years. I'm more wondering about the instructions given to those police rather than the shear number and presence. They can be everywhere, but if they're going "above and beyond the call of duty" to try and find trouble, that's another thing.

Which last year I feel like they were.. specifically with the cops on quads thing. They would comb the streets looking into camps and following "odors". I saw more than a few camps getting turned upside down, and they were driving by at least a few times every day.
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
junglesmacks

Postby BBadger » Sun Oct 30, 2011 1:53 pm

junglesmacks wrote:Which last year I feel like they were.. specifically with the cops on quads thing. They would comb the streets looking into camps and following "odors". I saw more than a few camps getting turned upside down, and they were driving by at least a few times every day.

That's funny... I only saw them on quads following odors this year, but that was on the playa itself. You could literally tell when they were on the scent. Maybe it was all the same?

BBadger

Previous

Return to Experiences at Burning Man