Post what you DID like about 2011 here

Share your pictures and video. Tell us about the sights, sounds, and scents, as well as the rumors and truths found at Burning Man.

Re: Post what you DID like about 2011 here

Postby Foxfur » Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:53 pm

Best Thread Ever!
I LOVE seeing people happy, excited about life, and sharing great memories.
I'm going to be a newbie in mind and spirit next year and every year.
Yay for YAY!
He's a mystery wrapped in a riddle, inside an enigma, painted in hot pants. - Savannah
Propane ToysImage
How to do it wrong:
Foxfur

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Camp Foxfur @ 2:45 & C

Postby gaminwench » Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:01 pm

...are you hollering at me??
"the prophecies of doom were better last year" trilo
gaminwench

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: DOTA, EoD, OBOP, Destiny Lounge

Postby gaminwench » Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:26 pm

... cuz I loved that about this year...
most everywhere I went, including daily potty trips,

folks yelled my playaname YAY! as I passed by/entered/exited...
"the prophecies of doom were better last year" trilo
gaminwench

Camp Name: DOTA, EoD, OBOP, Destiny Lounge

Postby Bitterman » Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:27 pm

seeing the all-time best BRC "Celebrity" - HOTSHOT THE ROBOT!, have some robot-to-horserobot love in the middle of the day in 3:00 plaza.
the barrel horse robot eventually broke a bit, and it was the funniest fookin thing i saw.
anyone get a picture?
i was too busy laughing and chasing them around to see what would happen next......
Bah! Psshhh!
Bitterman

Postby Snow » Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:01 pm

did I mention EVRYTHING?

YAY for hotshot, did you know he lives in Reno too?
"Art Is Not A Mirror, It Is A Hammer" - Jon Griersam
Snow

Postby d6 » Thu Sep 22, 2011 7:56 am

I'm a fan of that ridiculous machine.
your witty rejoinder just flew over my head.....

no trust fund getting supply buying self-reliant non-bankrolled questionable artistic contributor sacrificing electronics at will build it destroy it clean it haul it financially uninterested uber-bot
d6

Postby Foxfur » Thu Sep 22, 2011 12:15 pm

Hotshot was awesome. I knew nothing of him. When I saw him rolling down A street I got all giddy like. I love robots!
Killbuck got him to show us his hard-on. I got that on video. I'll see about posting a screencap...

DSCN0407.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
He's a mystery wrapped in a riddle, inside an enigma, painted in hot pants. - Savannah
Propane ToysImage
How to do it wrong:
Foxfur

Camp Name: Camp Foxfur @ 2:45 & C

Postby curiousgnate » Thu Sep 22, 2011 12:32 pm

My absolute favorite memory from this year is a bunch of my long time friends all chilling in groupshade about an hour after we all indulged in some fungus. We all started giggling, and then laughing really hard. I think i cried for ten minutes and it was hard to breathe. Ah the people that is why i go back and it soothes my heart every time!
Creating Peace Through Anarchy Every Day!!! Stagger for life!
curiousgnate

Postby ChanceFlashLightning » Thu Sep 22, 2011 8:05 pm

Ah this is so heartwarming in the middle of my decompression! How could I not contribute? (Because thanks, y'all, you got me started listing out the stuff... by no way complete... that made me happy this burn. Have to share now...)

*the exodus night burn of the "Phoenix Egg" at the man's ashes... awesome fire from a neighbor, and meeting a couple of folx (one from Cedarville) who hugged me and congratulated me on my first solo burn

*my interaction with Ryan at the Temple Burn (I am so glad I stopped and shared some time with you... and some coconut water! yes, I know what it is like to be lonely, and am so glad I found a moment of being "alone, not lonely" to see you!)

*the hug i got at the the conclusion of the suicide release ritual at Red Lightning. I came into this burn carrying the weight of several deaths, and am grateful for the folks that gathered so early in the week to acknowledge that heavy space so many of us walk with. It made my burn lighter. Thank you for hugging me, and telling me I am strong. I will carry that, willingly.

*my awesome virgin neighbor clan: thanks for answering the 3am query of "I am looking for a place to BE" with "yay! neighbors!" (and ps, from the one who stayed til tuesday--- you kicked virgin moop ass!!)

*handing off hannah's camera after taking a photo of the Ranger RV/LOVE... One of my neighbors handed me a disposable camera. "Take 3 pictures, pass it on." I have a hard time taking photos out there, partially because I don't have a camera. Partially, cuz I get lost in "immediacy." But as I took the last of my 3 photos (it was of the broken down playa covered Ranger RV with the LOVE sculpture in the background), someone biked by saying "I LOVE THAT THING!" To which I got to reply: "Yay! I love that thing too! Want to play a game with me?" And handed off said camera... Hope you like the photos, Hannah!

*Running into *** at Center Camp Cafe... and not working! I signed up for a cafe shift ("oh my god we need you so much this shift!" Showed up to work, and who was there, but my birgin coworker. Of course, the only time we run into each other is to "work," slinging coffee, like we do in defaultia. Lucky for us, turns out they didn't need us so bad after all! We ran off from center camp at 11pm and only parted ways at sunrise.

*the whoop! at the end of my pilgrimage to the Temple: I finally did my "big pilgrimage" to the Temple on Wednesday (or so). Spent a couple of hours putting up photos etc of lost ones. Finally, I put up the last picture, wrote a message, and poured his ashes into the dust. I set a stone in the center of his ashes, and right as I felt "done" with the patterns I was drawing, everyone in the center of the Temple let out a huge "WHOOP!" Didn't hear anything like that before or after!

*being fed heart-shaped pickled beets by Pi(e?)lady!

*my first on playa motorcycle ride

*riding past the guy helping a girl pee into a jug for what seemed like the first time... deep playa

*being asked multiple times "is this yours?" 1)an awesome compliment 2)usually followed up with "well, I didn't make it" and 3)"it's ours"... but with a wink towards if you fuck with it i won't stand for it

*the purple of the mountains in the early am

*the random burn barrel I got waved into on early (Thurs?) morning...

*knowing to put a fucking tarp under my leaky ass engine!

*the guy who managed to shove 2 extra bags of trash into his tiny car on Tuesday (and also jump started my car with a hug)

*sunset yoga at the temple under the earth harp. even though my definition of yoga consisted mostly of breathing and visualization, cuz i couldn't keep up with you vinyasa hippies (maybe by next year)

*spending time at lava beds on my way to brc

*my only "splurge" kinda working! yay for my solar radio!
Last night, as I was sleeping,
I dreamt--marvelous error!--
that I had a beehive
here inside my heart.
And the golden bees
were making white combs
and sweet honey
from my old failures

-- Antonio Machado, translated by Robert Bly
ChanceFlashLightning

Postby motskyroonmatick » Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:41 pm

curiousgnate wrote:My absolute favorite memory from this year is a bunch of my long time friends all chilling in groupshade about an hour after we all indulged in some fungus. We all started giggling, and then laughing really hard. I think i cried for ten minutes and it was hard to breathe. Ah the people that is why i go back and it soothes my heart every time!

Ummm Yeah (Fuckin YAY) minus the fungus..... Me tooo. You staggers are some of the very best friends I have ever had. I love hanging out with you. I'm looking forward to 6.0.
Black Rock City Welding and Repair. The Night Time Warming Station.

Card Carrying Member BRCCP.

When you pass the 4th "bridge out!" sign; the flaming death is all yours.-Knowmad-
motskyroonmatick

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: B.R.C. Welding&Repair.

Postby Ninzy » Fri Sep 23, 2011 2:45 am

The Playa at 5am in the morning - when all was quiet and the sun was rising and its rays sparkled through the Temples towers, she looked simply divine

Infected Mushroom at the Opulent Temple - they rocked

The awesome guy who was giving out ice pops while we were stuck in Exodus

All the rangers and Temple Guardians the night of the Temple Burn

And all the awesome Burners at BM 2011
Ur just jealous cos the Voices are talking to ME!
Ninzy

Postby robbidobbs » Fri Sep 23, 2011 9:30 pm

This was a fucking EXTRAORDINARY year for shit. Thank you SO MUCH Motsky for your help. Gonzo wants you on the Ark when the Endtimes come. Yep, 1050 total units, nearly all potties (minus a couple dozen) signed inside and out. signage went amazingly smoothly thanks to having a sturdy crew of 4 all weekend. Plowman is such a go-get-em kind of guy. I totally want him too next year. There were about 75 new signs mixed in this year, and the signs just keep getting better every year! All fucking week I was receiving compliments from USS and Participants. this year was better than last year, and last year improved from the year before. THIS IS FUCKING WORKING! Very little evidences of hovering TP distribution was smooth as aqueous foul effluvium.
MASH 4207 was profligate with virginal volunteers. Stag Camp was a terrific source for energetic volunteers. SO MANY CAMPS were providing volunteers at me all week. And it wasn't so long ago I had to go begging door to door. This year it all turned around. I got to educate the FUCK out of so many virgins, I totally want to keep the virgins have first priority paradigm on-going. DPW once again was actively helping spread the word. Gosh, I'm so fucking proud to be DPW. The weather was fantastic, the playa was hard pack, the moop factor was lower than last year. The shit was cleaner. It's like people finally got their shit together!

I realize I'm writing a lot of what I wrote in the Final Wipe-up, but it still puts my butt to the floor, and tears to my eyes thinking how wonderful you all made me feel this year. You know who you are. The rest of you who aren't familiar, feel free to read it on "All About Participating..." under "Get Involved".

Thanks for indulging my purging.
Sometimes I just tickle myself.
14 years of doing the porta-potties wrong.
FB Group: Burning Man Porta-potties
Changing the world one asshole at a time!
robbidobbs

Camp Name: Pottie Central

Postby Elderberry » Fri Sep 23, 2011 10:26 pm

And to top things off, I had a chance to meet you in person at the M&G!
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
Elderberry

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby thekidsparrow » Mon Sep 26, 2011 11:00 am

-The fucking unicorns camp with the awesome temporary tattoos and yummy choc. chip banana bread
-The Black Planet movie theater for playing beetlejuice!! (it paired perfectly with popcorn from popcorn palace with parmessan cheese and garlic powder)
-The lost boys and the super fun Oregon trails car
-The virginity tent where I got to hear so many cute and funny stories from strangers about loosing their virginity (I went back three times)
-The Ganesh Tennis camp.....Tennis, heckling, fresh fruit, tasty cocktails, and great, fun people!!
-The couple with the bicycle that made homemade ice cream!!
-Marco Polo who brought us spices!
-Kinko's!! I always go get a fun kinky picture to take home
-The cosmic dust photo booth
-Roller Derby!!
-Suspended animation-they host the very best seminars and are so nice and so friendly
-The car with the snow machine on the back
-The pier!!
-I loved sharing the bacon clothesline and bloody mary's with all my new friends
-2:30&D..the best neighborhood!!
"If this isn't nice, I don't know what is"
thekidsparrow

Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Camp ham

Postby thelionking » Mon Sep 26, 2011 3:07 pm

-Kudos to Sparky for putting together the Dirty Goddesses camp with a bunch of virgins. Thanks also for the jump start when my car battery died!
-The Temple was amazing and I get teary eyed every time I think about the memorials people wrote for loved ones departed.
-My campmates who enjoyed just sitting around the table and talking during the midday heat.
-One of the most amazing massages I have ever received! Thanks so much!
-Sunrise on the Playa nothing better than that.
-Meeting random people on the Playa!
-The cool bartenders at Party Naked Tiki Bar!
-The weather was great!

Can't wait for 2012!
thelionking

Camp Name: Retrofrolic

Postby Playa Status » Thu Oct 13, 2011 2:14 am

I took a dive head first into the wonderful beauty that is Humanity. It taught me that we are LOVE and we are all as one. Despite our differences, there is synchronicity in those. We all live here and when we flow with that and GROW towards the light it can be one of the most amazing things you can ever feel. Burningman was a place where nearly everyone I met was striving towards that same feeling, and it was just a wave of awesomeness. Each person having a different current pushing and pulling you to different directions. Before I knew it I was crying, laughing, running, falling and swinging on a trapeze! Eating pickles, shotgunning beers, kissing, hugging, flying, dancing, getting massages, getting sprayed with a high pressure hose, hopping art cars, losing my bike, climbing domes, battling myself, finding myself, LOSING MYSELF, meditation, communicating with the cosmos, getting down on some hos, short reach bros! Weaving through the very fabrics of space and time themselves. Insight, growth and love. Love. LOVE! Oh show me more show me more. Radiate it into this dark cold world in which we live! IS IT EVEN AS DARK OR COLD AS THEY SAY IT IS?! Make it what you want. Harness your power...know your truth and flow with it. My time on the playa has taught me so much and even though I still struggle from time to time with the hardships of modern society, I know deep down inside. I got love, baby. I got love for all ya'll punk ass mutha fuckas. ;)
Playa Status

Postby TheWhiteDog » Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:50 am

I liked the whole thread but particularly ambird and goathead posts.

What you so with the stones Goathead is awesome, and it sounded like you really helped that person with their family issues. No closure, but at least a step towards one.

Ambird, I loves your story with the greeter too. Such a great way to start your stay and such a sweet thing t say.
TheWhiteDog

Postby raptor767 » Sun May 06, 2012 12:20 pm

This is my part of BM 2011 : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OvsvQLB4SqE
Live everyday like today is your last. At list on weekends
raptor767

Previous

Return to Experiences at Burning Man