Post what you DID like about 2011 here

Share your pictures and video. Tell us about the sights, sounds, and scents, as well as the rumors and truths found at Burning Man.

Post what you DID like about 2011 here

Postby PrplT » Wed Sep 07, 2011 5:26 pm

It's a tough life out there on the playa. The last few hours can be the toughest with camp breakdown and the exodus. It makes us forget all the good that came before it. With that in mind, just what did you like about your 2011 life in Black Rock City?
PrplT

Burning Since: 2000

Re: Post what you DID like about 2011 here

Postby Sprocket09 » Wed Sep 07, 2011 5:40 pm

I kept my pants on this year during the day. Didn't burn my penis. Yay I'm so happy
Sprocket09

Postby theCryptofishist » Wed Sep 07, 2011 5:41 pm

Sprocket09 wrote:I kept my pants on this year during the day. Didn't burn my penis. Yay I'm so happy

Wheeee! Are you a reformed shirtcocker then?
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby Sprocket09 » Wed Sep 07, 2011 5:56 pm

No, I plan on shirt cocking in the future. Just in appreciatble doses. I realized how much the shirt cockers of BRC really lower the guards and release the dark of the core of the heart. I mean you can shirtvaginar all you want everyone openly appreciates it. But hey that mans got his cock out and is socializing fuck yea! Party On! Haha no but seriously I was embarrased to change my clothes at one point anywhere on the playa (I make it my peragative to be homeless on the playa out of economic crisis sake). But its true, you got to be all into it, hard as fuck and smiling your ass off. I was a great shirt cocker, I don't know what happened this year. Biking to the playa empties my head of paranoia and social conformity, can't wait to return to heroic novel playa outings. I did feel like a shit bag waiting in Reno for a week for a ride. I don't know, never enough and always too much.
Sprocket09

Postby bradtem » Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:43 pm

• The super short wait in the new DMV process
  • The pier
  • The weather (just kidding about missing a whiteout)
  • The Greek horse, except for the chaotic setup to watch it burn
  • Crappucino in the deep playa, for the 8th year running
  • Great playa people
  • Checking to see if people in exodus line had their exit tickets with them. No exit ticket sales at the gate this year, if you don't have one they'll just turn you around and send you back to the playa
See giant panoramas of BRC: http://www.templetons.com/brad/burn
bradtem

Burning Since: 1998

Postby mars » Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:44 pm

I liked that 99% of the people I interacted with were really nice, fun, interesting, intelligent, creative people. I liked that our theme camp, the result of 9 years experience, was more successful that we even imagined it would be. I liked that all my neighbors in all directions were wonderful participants and citizens. I liked that the moop factor in our area was the lowest I have ever seen it to be, including the porto-pottie area. I really liked the theme...Rights of Passage was inspiring and fun.
Live as if everyone loves you and thinks you look great. Dance as if no one is watching.
mars

Postby nicholeraechelle » Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:02 pm

The Temple burn was the most spiritual amazing experience of my life. Never have I ever been a part of such a piece of magic. Burning Man REALLY did change my life for the better just in the way I approach things. Like Exodus for example. It was another amazing addition. never have I enjoyed being in a line for 7 hours as much as I did on Monday. :D
nicholeraechelle

Postby RedHeaven » Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:09 pm

Everything about this burn was the best in my 6 years. Cirque Du Cliche, Hair of the Dog, The Pier, all of the people I met (well 98%)....the smooth cobblestone surface....the music...the LOVE sign...the man base.,.my neighbors....my health, energy levels, party levels, participation levels, inspirational levels, temple, beauty...all at an all time high for me. Yay BMan 2011! Yay 2011 in general! Rites of Passage never felt so good and I have never been so grateful.

I promise this post was not brought to you by Molly Enema, Kool Aidey, or Granola Greenvomit. :mrgreen:
RedHeaven

Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Cirque Du Cliche

Postby JStep » Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:14 pm

WAY too much to list in a post. I think of a few things and later 10 more occur to me... I'll post a few of my greatest virgin burn experiences though:

Dust City Diner. Seriously, what a sweet, beautiful and amazing gift for the lucky few who find it.

The Temple. I never got inside, but wow... what an ambitious project, and what a great success in making it happen. Great burn too!

Nasty's Dive Bar. Love it! Many good times, conversations, friendly folks, and music that isn't techno for the much needed respite even for us dubstep loving lemmings... :P

The eplaya MnG. Really you guys, I loved meeting all of you. What an ego boost too. lol. We had a great time getting to know the in-person version of you and I can't wait to repeat this!!! (Except you Simon, you no-showing sob! :P)

All the art cars, the giant yacht was amazing!

The One Mile Clock. I contributed to this one, and we enjoyed the VIP party immensly. Shrimp Cocktail on the playa? Great to see another ambitious project come to fruition, and so successfully!

All the great people! I experience only one negative interaction all week and it wasn't with any regular ticket buying folks. Kudos to YOU!!!!
~JStep
Nebraska Regional Contact
Tallgrass Burners - The Omaha and Nebraska Area Burning Man Regional Group
http://www.tallgrassburners.com
Email: nebraska [at] burningman.com
JStep

Burning Since: 2011

Postby jobi » Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:47 pm

Props to Dust City Diner for the best grilled cheese of my life.
Flaming Lotus Girls fireworks, goes without saying.
The wagon thingie past 10 on the playa with the silly portraits.
The dead cow artcar.
United's service on the potties. Seriously, were any of them ever more than a third full? Those guys are the unsung heroes.
jobi

Postby sarahbird23 » Thu Sep 08, 2011 3:14 pm

I loved the surprise of being overwhelmed with emotion upon arriving in line at the entrance of Burning Man 2011. I knew I'd be stoked, but didn't expect TEARS, for crying out loud! : )

I loved hopping on my bike and going on countless "Choose Your Own Adventure" escapades all over the playa. I never knew who I'd meet or where I'd end up, but it was ALWAYS beyond my wildest imaginings!

I loved being "adopted' into a group of fun-loving Burners and forming little "biker gangs", cruising around all night and catching the sunrise together (with sparklers!).

I loved the sacred space of the Temple, where people could own emotions long buried, and experience deep empathy for others' losses as well. That was such an eye-opener for me. I wrote a message to my brother who passed away at age 19, and it was very healing and liberating. I felt like he was right there with me. The Temple Burn was a huge release, and I love that it's held in respectful silence.

And the Steampunk Octopus kicked ass!!! : )
sarahbird23

Postby illy dilly » Thu Sep 08, 2011 3:36 pm

O man!
This might take a while.

I love our camp, I know that sounds pretty selfish, but it was tough at times and scary, but we pulled it off. Our first year a theme camp has one hell of a learning curve.

The playa surface was great! Only a few bad ruts on our streets, nothing a bunch of cooler water couldn't handle.

The weather was amazing!

The two ice shifts I worked were great. Definitely have to work the noon-3 shift on Thursdays, gives me that extra 3 hours to sober up before I work.

We did the ye old "everyone is responsible for diner 1 night" and it worked great! It means you really only had to stress about one meal. Which means everyone stressed about one really good fancy meal!

I loved the random old dude Richard who camped with us. He was amazing!

The lady across 3:30 from us at camp Boosh who would heckle people as they went down the street. She saved me from more than one endless nap, and brought tons of smiles to our faces.

The ball pit that Boosh had, super fun!

Our neighbors The Fosters. They had a ton of hammocks and cots for random folks to crash out on for a while, why you journeyed home. They would get you some nice cold water, let ya nap for a bit, then make you a frozen margarita.... and then kick you out! We're talking about villaging up for 2012. And with in Fosters a few folks specifically I Rape Cats, Blue, Paul, and Mandy you guys rock.

exodus was almost non existant (at least when we left)

The Suburban and non major event Porta Potties were super clean. Obviously the porto's closest to the big events are always over used.

O man, the guy at gates (sadly I forget his name) that broken in our 4 virgins did an amazing job! I really made them work for it!
Why don't ya stick your head in that hole and find out? ~piehole
Plan for the worst, expect the best. Make the most out of it under any conditions. If you cannot do that you will never enjoy yourself. ~CrispyDave
illy dilly

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Gnome Dome

Postby goathead » Thu Sep 08, 2011 5:28 pm

One of the few mornings I was actually able to make stones.
I made three for a eplayain who has been here for a few years.
While I was burning them, a young girl wandered over, and asked what we where doing.
He explained, and then she asked if I would make some for her.
She had the ashes of her mother with her.
Was glad to make them.
When I was finishing the final stone, I asked if she was sure if she only wanted 3 stones.
She wasn't, seems her and her dad are not on the best of terms right now.
I told her it really didn't matter, now is fleeting in time, who knows what years from now brings.
I asked if she would like to make the final stone, and the let her.
For her dad, or maybe for her children in the future.
Not use to tears, but they made my burn.
Ffwcio eich diwrnod
Jebem ti dan
Tpaxhnte ball aehb
Nasrat na vas den
Namaste, zkurvysynu
Plug n Play camps have done to Burning Man what panty hose did to Finger-Fucking. Ratty
FREE THE SHERPAS
goathead

Burning Since: 1999

Postby bluesbob » Thu Sep 08, 2011 6:53 pm

I was very happy the Rangers had everyone keep their bikes away from the burns. Walk in people...leave the bikes at home!!
"aw shucks.." - Eric
bluesbob

Camp Name: AV

Postby trilobyte » Thu Sep 08, 2011 7:14 pm

There were so many things this year that just pegged the needle for me, it was an abundantly awesome year. I couldn't possibly list everything, but here are a few notable highlights...

• ePlaya Meet & Greet (hooray, I finally made it to one!)
  • Thursday night Core Burn - was a great wild card, put a great energy into the air
  • Man Burn - first one since my first year I actually enjoyed...great balls of fire!
  • Temple Burn - watched (and felt the heat) from over a mile away...wow.
  • So much amazing art! Installed, at camps, and moving around - so inspiring!

Honorable mentions go out to the JotS crews and BMOrg folks who coordinated the potties, even though we were camped near a big bar/club space, the potties were in pretty good shape all week. In the past, the porto's had been something of a nightmare after Thursday. And another honorable mention goes out to the amazing Arcticans who made it possible to get ice during the weekend before the event. Prior to the start the temps were much hotter than during, we arrrived during the heat of the day, and Mr. Sun did his worst on our coolers before we got our shade up. Thanks to Arctica, we didn't have to send part of our setup crew off the playa to reload.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby Eric » Thu Sep 08, 2011 7:34 pm

It may be boring & technical, but I have to give a big shout out to United Services, Robbidobbs & the Pooper Patrol- these were the cleanest JOTS I've ever seen. Even on the weekend when they normally turn into a nightmare they were clean. I only found ones w/out TP twice all week, and one that a fucktard had ripped the toilet seat out of. A-fucking-mazing.
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly
Eric

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby Bob » Thu Sep 08, 2011 7:54 pm

I gave the JOTS crew a thumbs-up every time I saw them.

Had to, I was *that* constipated.
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
Bob

Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Postby devilgrrl » Thu Sep 08, 2011 9:21 pm

I liked our neighbors to the east, west, north and south of us. There aren't enough nice things that can be said about Alternative Energy Zone!!! :D

The hilarious signs, courtesy of BM staffers, that adorned the Porta-Pottys. They made giggle every time I peed and judging from the condition of the toilet seats, people finally seemed to take what they had to say in consideration.

Who could not be impressed by the awesome weather? Best weather in BRC I've ever experienced.

Getting a plane ride over BRC by a great pilot from Reno!

Getting to ride on art cars to and fro the burns.

Tasty Rum punches.

Great people. Great Art.

On and On...

One of my favorite burns ever.

:mrgreen:
devilgrrl

Postby theCryptofishist » Thu Sep 08, 2011 9:25 pm

devilgrrl wrote:The hilarious signs, courtesy of BM staffers, that adorned the Porta-Pottys. They made giggle every time I peed and judging from the condition of the toilet seats, people finally seemed to take what they had to say in consideration.

Robbidobbs and Gonzo may (or may not) be "BM staffers", but many of those signs were put up by regular participants, some from eplaya, who were helping out for a few hours.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby I11I1II1 » Thu Sep 08, 2011 9:34 pm

Sprocket09 wrote:No, I plan on shirt cocking in the future. Just in appreciatble doses. I realized how much the shirt cockers of BRC really lower the guards and release the dark of the core of the heart. I mean you can shirtvaginar all you want everyone openly appreciates it. But hey that mans got his cock out and is socializing fuck yea! Party On! Haha no but seriously I was embarrased to change my clothes at one point anywhere on the playa (I make it my peragative to be homeless on the playa out of economic crisis sake). But its true, you got to be all into it, hard as fuck and smiling your ass off. I was a great shirt cocker, I don't know what happened this year. Biking to the playa empties my head of paranoia and social conformity, can't wait to return to heroic novel playa outings. I did feel like a shit bag waiting in Reno for a week for a ride. I don't know, never enough and always too much.

I think being given shit because you're shirtcocking is so unfair. If there is such a thing as shirtcocking then what about skirt titters? Plenty of those around too. :wink:
I11I1II1

Postby devilgrrl » Thu Sep 08, 2011 10:36 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:
devilgrrl wrote:The hilarious signs, courtesy of BM staffers, that adorned the Porta-Pottys. They made giggle every time I peed and judging from the condition of the toilet seats, people finally seemed to take what they had to say in consideration.

Robbidobbs and Gonzo may (or may not) be "BM staffers", but many of those signs were put up by regular participants, some from eplaya, who were helping out for a few hours.

Well, those people are a laugh-a-minute. Do send my accolades, I appreciated the titters. :D
devilgrrl

Postby BBadger » Thu Sep 08, 2011 11:00 pm

From the start this year was more about the people and camp rather than the sights and sounds for me (which were also cool). Everybody I encountered and talked to, friend or stranger, were fantastic people to interact with. Great stories, laughs, interactions and personalities. I loved running into people from across the world, with such lovely accents and bright cheery faces. Talking with virgins and veterans alike was a pleasure, and every person I encountered viewed the world anew. Thank you all for making me appreciate humanity again!
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.
BBadger

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby C.f.M. » Fri Sep 09, 2011 11:33 am

goathead wrote:One of the few mornings I was actually able to make stones.
I made three for a eplayain who has been here for a few years.
While I was burning them, a young girl wandered over, and asked what we where doing.
He explained, and then she asked if I would make some for her.
She had the ashes of her mother with her.
Was glad to make them.
When I was finishing the final stone, I asked if she was sure if she only wanted 3 stones.
She wasn't, seems her and her dad are not on the best of terms right now.
I told her it really didn't matter, now is fleeting in time, who knows what years from now brings.
I asked if she would like to make the final stone, and the let her.
For her dad, or maybe for her children in the future.
Not use to tears, but they made my burn.

Watching your process and chatting on the bus, I DID like. Sharing that moment with my campmates, I also liked. Added a very quiet, personal feel to the afternoon. Our neighbors are spending the week in Gerlach, fixing up all the bikes they loaned out. I told Gabe to look out for a handsome, blue-eyed fella by the name of Goathead.

Delivering mail is FUN.

Bikes are supposed to stay BEHIND the line of art cars during burns. I worked with two great Rangers who went above and beyond to make that happen. Next year, spread the word...enough word and eventually people will just know.
C.f.M.

Postby gekko59 » Fri Sep 09, 2011 12:58 pm

Being there.
--
gekko
My intuition nearly makes up for my lack of good judgment.
gekko59

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: PolyParadise

Postby bender » Fri Sep 09, 2011 1:03 pm

Going to the spot where they burned the man. Pulling out a nice fat piece of metal support strapping from the char. Thinking what I will make out of it for 2012.
bender

Postby Packoderm » Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:50 pm

I liked how people changed the names of the streets with names that have the same beginning letter such as CRABS for whatever "C" was originally supposed to stand for. That is so much nicer than just taking the sign and leaving nothing.

I also liked the additional roads at the 15 minute marks.
(currently Zeke Chaparral)
Packoderm

Postby AntiM » Sat Sep 10, 2011 6:08 am

Realizing that hanging out in our comfy shade, sharing coffee and sweet rolls and chat with amazing friends was as much participating in "The Burn" as running around in the heat and dust, trying to see all the art. "Hey, the burn is happening here too" was the basic thought process.
we were riding the crest of a high and beautiful wave. . . .
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby junglesmacks » Sat Sep 10, 2011 6:22 am

+1

You did look rather relaxed in the shade gently chatting amongst y'selves..

AntiM wrote:Realizing that hanging out in our comfy shade, sharing coffee and sweet rolls and chat with amazing friends was as much participating in "The Burn" as running around in the heat and dust, trying to see all the art. "Hey, the burn is happening here too" was the basic thought process.
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
junglesmacks

Postby Drawingablank » Sat Sep 10, 2011 6:44 am

I saw some great things and the burns were all awesome, but the most memorable parts of my week were the people I met.

I had no negative interactions with anyone, our neighbors were all great, ran into no frat boys and very few tourists.

The meet and greet was great as were the folks at The Next Whiskey Bar.

Now, I'm just wondering how I'm going to endure the next 50 weeks.
Savannah: I don't know what it is, but no thread here escapes alive. You'll get 1 or 2 real answers at minimum, occasionally 10 or 12, and then we flog it until it's unrecognizable and you can't get your deposit back.

Yet Another Crappy Birgin Guide
Drawingablank

Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp

Postby junglesmacks » Sat Sep 10, 2011 7:18 am

I'm a witness to your creativity, DAB. Start planning that ultimate costume/lighting project for next year NOW. Go big.. very big. Do some LED work that shines across that playa. Take that full length jacket you made and implant rows of sequenced LEDs in it. Need some help? It's easier than you think, and will give you focus and a hobby through the winter.

Drawingablank wrote:
Now, I'm just wondering how I'm going to endure the next 50 weeks.
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
junglesmacks

Next

Return to Experiences at Burning Man