Some Volunteers at the Center Camp Cafe shouldn't volunteer

Share your pictures and video. Tell us about the sights, sounds, and scents, as well as the rumors and truths found at Burning Man.

Re: Some Volunteers at the Center Camp Cafe shouldn't volunt

Postby Timezone LaFontaine » Mon Oct 03, 2011 3:53 pm

Seems like a pastime for a bunch of eplayans to talk smack about Center Camp, but the past couple of years it has been so crammed with incredible artwork, whoever organizes it must be praised. Every surface in the place is custom painted, and artwork by dozens if not hundreds of artists is installed in kiosks and on the beams around the perimeter of the center. The music is always pretty fascinating, too, although it can't be easy playing there as a lot of people are just looking for a place to crash out much of the time. But seriously, none of y'all can front on the fact that the Center Camp artwork is pretty astonishing, and much of it is some pretty challenging/borderline deranged (i.e., nothing like a mall or whatever your putdown of choice is) imagery. I think some of you who are just talking shit about Center Camp are pretty cozy in your own little well-established comfort zones in BRC. Personally I like to stop by Center Camp in the middle of the night sometimes when there's not a whole lot of people there and decide where to head out to next in the open playa.
~tzlf
Timezone LaFontaine

Burning Since: 2006

Postby NessaZee » Mon Oct 03, 2011 5:10 pm

I get your point.
I did not avoid center camp consciously. The first year I ventured there I was in awe of all the art and the atmosphere.
I am not discounting ANYONE's efforts. The discussion I was carrying on was more about what vibe is created when commerce is an active part of a venue and what grand purpose that may possibly serve..
~Om-Nom-Nom~~simplicity is potent~~handjob gallery~~the best is yet to come~
NessaZee

Postby theCryptofishist » Mon Oct 03, 2011 10:34 pm

There's 100 ways to get out of our "comfort zones" without going to center cafe. I don't feel any need to go there. I don't feel any need not to. It's pretty much a "meh zone" for me.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby NessaZee » Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:57 am

theCryptofishist wrote:There's 100 ways to get out of our "comfort zones" without going to center cafe. I don't feel any need to go there. I don't feel any need not to. It's pretty much a "meh zone" for me.

....but the ART! it's amazing. you *must* go see the amazing art at CC!!! how can you go to BM and not appreciate the amazing art???! :wink:
NessaZee

Postby Dr Helix » Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:19 am

NessaZee wrote:
theCryptofishist wrote:There's 100 ways to get out of our "comfort zones" without going to center cafe. I don't feel any need to go there. I don't feel any need not to. It's pretty much a "meh zone" for me.

....but the ART! it's amazing. you *must* go see the amazing art at CC!!! how can you go to BM and not appreciate the amazing art???! :wink:

With all respect, there is amazing art everywhere. I've been going to BM for four years and I went to Center Camp for the first time this year. It was enjoyable. That's it.
"Love, Rockets and write when you get work"
Dr Helix

Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Interaction Cafe

Postby NessaZee » Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:28 am

Dr Helix wrote:
With all respect, there is amazing art everywhere.

REALLY? :shock:
NessaZee

Postby Dr Helix » Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:48 am

NessaZee wrote:
Dr Helix wrote:
With all respect, there is amazing art everywhere.

REALLY? :shock:

Yes really.
"Love, Rockets and write when you get work"
Dr Helix

Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Interaction Cafe

Postby skibear » Tue Oct 04, 2011 11:31 am

jobi wrote:Toughen up if you want you coffee.

I should ask, if the cafe really necessary? Yes, people go there. People would also go somewhere selling slices of pizza, smoothies, or t shirts too. I would imagine the cafe was allowed in the first place because some people (myself included) need coffee. I would do things I am not proud of for coffee. Because of this, I brought tea bag thingies with coffee in them. I never needed them though because my camp mate brought an espresso machine and made great drinks every morning. Also our neighbor made large pots of coffee every morning that he put out for others to help themselves too. I suppose I was fortunate but my point is that coffee, unlike ice, is something that we can take care of and make ourselves.

Finding coffee is easy. Just look around & check with your neighbors. FWIW I gifted coffee every morning(except Mon & Sun) to all at 4:30 & A. At least 4 other
widely scattered camps did same. Granted mine was plain-jane Tea & Coffee (hey mon, its the caffeine) not cappacino (sp) or frappicino (sp) etc.
crash & burn ski lessons given
skibear

Previous

Return to Experiences at Burning Man