post what you didn't like about 2011 here

Share your pictures and video. Tell us about the sights, sounds, and scents, as well as the rumors and truths found at Burning Man.

Re: post what you didn't like about 2011 here

Postby FIGJAM » Thu Sep 15, 2011 10:41 am

If I offered a song, joke, or poem, would you refuse? :?
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

"If I can't find an answer, I'll create one!!!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby BBadger » Thu Sep 15, 2011 10:46 am

jkisha wrote:I agree with you especially on those two...
We usually go around to the back to stake out our place to watch the burn from a bit off in the distance. It's the only way to be sure no art car will pull up and park in front of you. I think they should ban art cars from parking in front of the crowd...hell, they have the height advantage and should be required to park way further back. It's worse than people standing up in front, yet nothing is done officially about it.

On the subject of vehicles and the burns, I'd also like to see people not dump their damn bikes in the middle of the ground where MVs would normally park to get a view outside the fat ring of people. It's bad enough people feel the need to dump their bikes in the middle of the playa, unlit. It's like people lose all sense of social responsibility when they're at BM, or maybe they never had it to begin with.

FIGJAM wrote:If I offered a song, joke, or poem, would you refuse? :?

One guy last year was willing to, and did, swing around on the stripper pole and show off his stuff for a drink. Awesome stuff, but not forced.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.
BBadger

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby Elderberry » Thu Sep 15, 2011 10:49 am

People use BM as an excuse for doing (or not doing) lots of things. :roll:
BBadger wrote: It's like people lose all sense of social responsibility when they're at BM, or maybe they never had it to begin with.

JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
Elderberry

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby atomicray » Thu Sep 15, 2011 11:20 am

jkisha wrote:It's worse than people standing up in front, yet nothing is done officially about it.

I am a birgin and I know I am still learning the processes here...it should be noted that I am a true blue conservative and welcome "official" without a blink...but doesn't being directed what to do and how to to it go against the general burn policy of burn how you want to?

I agree with you...so no need to throw rocks...I am just observing and asking questions.

Believe me I am all for some direction within the chaos.

But it seems this is more of a case of the basic nature of certain people...a jackhole will still be an ass no matter what you establish...rude and inconsiderate is a tough way to go through life.

But an easy fix, within reason, is to establish a rope rail that would create a soft barrier to drivers and yet no issue for walkers/bikers.

It is an interesting issue, curious if it has any legs to get noticed by the powers that be?

Atomic Ray
"Almost nobody dances sober, unless they happen to be insane."
— H.P. Lovecraft
atomicray

Postby tahiti_treat » Thu Sep 15, 2011 1:57 pm

I was trying not to dwell on this but maybe it will help to get it out.

My husband and I came home from the burn to find that one of our campmates, who we've known for awhile and thought we'd grown closer to over the week, had un-friended us on Facebook. This guy is very insecure and doesn't have a lot of friends, but I thought we'd been pretty darn welcoming and that he'd finally started to believe that we DID like him and DID want to be friends with him, reassuring that yes, we like him, yes, he's welcome to sit in the communal shade structure, no he's not being a bother, and no, if we lose track of each other in the crowd it wasn't intentional. I guess it wasn't enough. At the same time, my patience with EVERYONE got thin during and post-exodus and though I never lost my temper, maybe he picked up on that. I feel bad.

Anyway, I am hurt and disappointed. I thought we shared a connection on the playa that I had hoped would carry over into the default world. I know he's got his own issues to deal with and that I did everything I could to be welcoming, but it still hurts. :(
tahiti_treat

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: NoTown

Postby Timezone LaFontaine » Thu Sep 15, 2011 2:52 pm

tahiti_treat wrote:Anyway, I am hurt and disappointed. I thought we shared a connection on the playa that I had hoped would carry over into the default world. I know he's got his own issues to deal with and that I did everything I could to be welcoming, but it still hurts. :(

Sounds like although you and your husband went out of your way to reassure him, he was mired in some serious self-esteem issues of his own. At the same time, Facebook can get weird for people from time to time and coming back from a life-shifting experience in BRC may have just prompted him to reevaluate how he uses FB. Probably best not to read too much into it, just as you were trying to encourage him not to make assumptions. If you're still committed to being his friend and know that he's struggling, maybe just invite him to hang out and enjoy talking about the burn.
Timezone LaFontaine

Burning Since: 2006

Postby theCryptofishist » Thu Sep 15, 2011 4:03 pm

jkisha wrote:And regarding bars--or any camp that requires you to "perform" for whatever they are "gifting away"--is lame. It always surprised me when we invite people to our camp for a root beer float how often they ask "what do we have to do for it?". NOTHING, Just show up! That's what gifting is.

I can see the performance as part of the gift--giving the gift of helping you to reach into yourself to tell a story about your first pet, perhaps. It's not always a bad thing.
But I"m not likely to do that. I don't like making a spectacle of myself.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby ygmir » Thu Sep 15, 2011 4:08 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:
jkisha wrote:And regarding bars--or any camp that requires you to "perform" for whatever they are "gifting away"--is lame. It always surprised me when we invite people to our camp for a root beer float how often they ask "what do we have to do for it?". NOTHING, Just show up! That's what gifting is.

I can see the performance as part of the gift--giving the gift of helping you to reach into yourself to tell a story about your first pet, perhaps. It's not always a bad thing.

When Sputnik, Sailman, and, I went to "The Dusty Rose", I wrote, stood on the bar, and read, a limerick. It was for an ice cold Guiness stout. I was happy to do it.......and, no one said I had to. I could have had a shot of Jamesons, for nothing.......
Seemed fine, although, my limerick was somewhat off color, and sexually charged.......
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Postby yizzah » Thu Sep 15, 2011 7:23 pm

[quote="jkisha"]

And regarding bars--or any camp that requires you to "perform" for whatever they are "gifting away"--is lame. It always surprised me when we invite people to our camp for a root beer float how often they ask "what do we have to do for it?". NOTHING, Just show up! That's what gifting is.
[/quote][/quote]

Some places have someone out front with megaphones trying to get people inside for drinks, but then you get inside and feel like you're imposing on the camp because they set up all these things you have to do to get a drink. Then if you don't feel like doing it, someone will always be nearby to scoff at you as a "tourist" and "not participating".
yizzah

Postby Elderberry » Thu Sep 15, 2011 7:31 pm

I think it's way some camps stretch their booze.

My absolute favorite bar on our side of the playa is Celestial Bodies. It's a friendly Oasis on the playa...a neighborhood bar that serves their special "playa cosmos", and you don't get harassed even if you forget your cup. It's the first camp we visit after getting placed and drop by almost daily.

yizzah wrote:
jkisha wrote:
And regarding bars--or any camp that requires you to "perform" for whatever they are "gifting away"--is lame. It always surprised me when we invite people to our camp for a root beer float how often they ask "what do we have to do for it?". NOTHING, Just show up! That's what gifting is.

Some places have someone out front with megaphones trying to get people inside for drinks, but then you get inside and feel like you're imposing on the camp because they set up all these things you have to do to get a drink. Then if you don't feel like doing it, someone will always be nearby to scoff at you as a "tourist" and "not participating".[/quote]
JK
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
Elderberry

Postby Lassen Forge » Fri Sep 16, 2011 9:01 am

That's why I limit shot rounds to 6 participants per... and we do the traditional Russian Style shots, not the bang em down and fill er up again thing. Plus I have shotglasses that are designed to maximize the olifactory experience and minimize the output, but still give the real shot feel)... Helps make the booze last thru the weekend...

Plus, we keep the bar small for that reason... next year I *may* stretch it to 8' (oh shit, THAT was what I was gonna do this weekend!!!) but all in all, we keep the output SLOW so more people can enjoy what we have to offer.
Lassen Forge

Location: Where it's always... Wednesday. Don't lose your head over it.

Postby tahiti_treat » Fri Sep 16, 2011 9:53 am

Timezone LaFontaine wrote:
tahiti_treat wrote:Anyway, I am hurt and disappointed. I thought we shared a connection on the playa that I had hoped would carry over into the default world. I know he's got his own issues to deal with and that I did everything I could to be welcoming, but it still hurts. :(

Sounds like although you and your husband went out of your way to reassure him, he was mired in some serious self-esteem issues of his own. At the same time, Facebook can get weird for people from time to time and coming back from a life-shifting experience in BRC may have just prompted him to reevaluate how he uses FB. Probably best not to read too much into it, just as you were trying to encourage him not to make assumptions. If you're still committed to being his friend and know that he's struggling, maybe just invite him to hang out and enjoy talking about the burn.

True enough. I feel better after getting it out too. I think I'll give it a few days and then invite him to hang out. :)
tahiti_treat

Camp Name: NoTown

Postby atomicray » Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:16 am

tahiti_treat...your avatar, the snack food glory hole...I have to be honest, freaks me right the fuck out lol.

It has the desired effect that any decent performance piece offers, a strong reaction :shock:

It is eye catching and alarming at the same time...I don't want to look and yet it is hard not to...lol.

Ah well, enjoy your treats.

Atomic Ray
— H.P. Lovecraft
atomicray

Postby Irreverent Moniker » Fri Sep 16, 2011 11:07 am

bradtem wrote:What, attitude from the DPW? I'm shocked, shocked.

Yes, while they are surely among the hardest working and longest-staying on the playa, saying "we built this city" has always been to me an unpleasant expression of that famous attitude. You worked very hard, and did a valuable service for which thanks is deserved, but you built 0.5% of the city.

But as to what I didn't like this year:

[list]
[*]Plant Earth, a camp with a volume level for 2 or 10 o'clock, but playing all night in 9 Plaza so you could not even have a conversation in camps around the plaza.

No way, Planet Earth rocked! It was so ridiculously nice to hear awesome 80's music while trying to fall asleep rather than obnoxious dub step. It gave the whole 9:00 Plaza a very chilled vibe. We were across from them at Lightbox and never had an issue with them being too loud, in fact I may have yelled "turn it up!" at the DJ once or twice (which is huge change from usually wanting to yell "turn that awful shit off!" at nearby camps)

The were one of my absolute favorite things about this year
Walk tall, kick ass, learn to speak Arabic, love music and never forget you come from a long line of truth seekers, lovers and warriors.
Irreverent Moniker

Postby graidawg » Fri Sep 16, 2011 12:14 pm

I am trying hard to think of something i didnt really like about BM this year? the weathere was to perfect? my camp mates made it too easy? i had to pay for beer after i left? I had to leave at all?
seriosly everything i was warned about was way less of a problem than implied.

oh yea i know what i hated getting home and being so damn far from the people i really connected with. skype me fukos i miss you all
FREE THE SHERPAS
Burners with torches is right and natural and just.-fishy.
CATCH AND RELEASE.
graidawg

Camp Name: Dread Pirate barbie

Postby zenseed75 » Fri Sep 16, 2011 12:31 pm

When Sputnik, Sailman, and, I went to "The Dusty Rose", I wrote, stood on the bar, and read, a limerick. It was for an ice cold Guiness stout. I was happy to do it.......and, no one said I had to. I could have had a shot of Jamesons, for nothing.......
Seemed fine, although, my limerick was somewhat off color, and sexually charged.......[/quote]

It is "The Dusty Swan" Great place!
zenseed75

Postby Lassen Forge » Fri Sep 16, 2011 1:30 pm

zenseed75 wrote:When Sputnik, Sailman, and, I went to "The Dusty Rose", I wrote, stood on the bar, and read, a limerick. It was for an ice cold Guiness stout. I was happy to do it.......and, no one said I had to. I could have had a shot of Jamesons, for nothing.......
Seemed fine, although, my limerick was somewhat off color, and sexually charged.......

It is "The Dusty Swan" Great place![/quote]

+10. If you do that in our bar, in Russian, you might get shot. Of Vodka. Chilled.
Lassen Forge

Postby graidawg » Fri Sep 16, 2011 1:40 pm

есть парень называется Грэм кто действительно довольно плотные,
он думает, что собирается кемпинга
такой же, как в палатках
FREE THE SHERPAS
CATCH AND RELEASE.
graidawg

Postby Lassen Forge » Fri Sep 16, 2011 1:48 pm

Now THAT was an in-tents sort of Russian Limerick!! Spasibo! :mrgreen:
Lassen Forge

Postby Sail Man » Fri Sep 16, 2011 2:07 pm

ygmir wrote:
theCryptofishist wrote:

Ahhhh yes, I'm still rather randy because of it :wink:
Excuse me Ma'am, your going to feel a small prick.

Algorithms never survive the first thirty seconds of patient contact
Sail Man

Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Kidsville: Delicious

Postby Angel, Like The » Fri Sep 16, 2011 3:19 pm

I registered to post this. This was my fourth year.

During the Trojan Horse burn, I saw a man in his twenties start to have a seizure in the crowd. Seconds later, he stood up and pulled a metal prong (with a tazer line still connected to it) out of his back. He wasn't having a siezure. He was just tazed with a tazer gun, the kind that shoots prongs across short distances:

It was, quite frankly, horrifying to me that someone would spend hundreds of dollars to come an inclusive event, walk through the crowd, and taze a random person. We look around but could find no one.
Angel, Like The

Postby Elderberry » Fri Sep 16, 2011 3:23 pm

Unbelievable.

Angel, Like The wrote:I registered to post this. This was my fourth year.

During the Trojan Horse burn, I saw a man in his twenties start to have a seizure in the crowd. Seconds later, he stood up and pulled a metal prong (with a tazer line still connected to it) out of his back. He wasn't having a siezure. He was just tazed with a tazer gun, the kind that shoots prongs across short distances:

It was, quite frankly, horrifying to me that someone would spend hundreds of dollars to come an inclusive event, walk through the crowd, and taze a random person. We look around but could find no one.
JK
Elderberry

Postby deutlich » Fri Sep 16, 2011 3:29 pm

Irreverent Moniker wrote:No way, Planet Earth rocked! It was so ridiculously nice to hear awesome 80's music while trying to fall asleep rather than obnoxious dub step. It gave the whole 9:00 Plaza a very chilled vibe.

80's music?! I hope they're around again next year.
deutlich

Postby Irreverent Moniker » Fri Sep 16, 2011 3:41 pm

deutlich wrote:
Irreverent Moniker wrote:No way, Planet Earth rocked! It was so ridiculously nice to hear awesome 80's music while trying to fall asleep rather than obnoxious dub step. It gave the whole 9:00 Plaza a very chilled vibe.

80's music?! I hope they're around again next year.

Me too! It was seriously refreshing hearing duran duran, the smiths, talking heads, flock of seagulls, etc., after hearing pretty much nothing but dubstep as you wandered around the playa
Walk tall, kick ass, learn to speak Arabic, love music and never forget you come from a long line of truth seekers, lovers and warriors.
Irreverent Moniker

Postby deutlich » Fri Sep 16, 2011 3:43 pm

Irreverent Moniker wrote:
Me too! It was seriously refreshing hearing duran duran, the smiths, talking heads, flock of seagulls, etc., after hearing pretty much nothing but dubstep as you wandered around the playa

Now that is music to my ears. All 80s music reminds me of living in Germany (which I loved) and it just makes me smile.
deutlich

Postby graidawg » Fri Sep 16, 2011 3:46 pm

Angel, Like The wrote:I registered to post this. This was my fourth year.

fuck me! sorry for the pun but thats shocking
FREE THE SHERPAS
CATCH AND RELEASE.
graidawg

Postby atomicray » Fri Sep 16, 2011 4:28 pm

80's would be my first choice.

Blended with some rockabilly/psychobilly (like Reverend Horton Heat or Cherry Poppin Daddies), ska (like Streetlight Manifesto or Reel Big Fish), swing revival (like Squirrel Nut Zippers or Big Bad Voodoo Daddy), and even some folk punk (like Gogol Bordello or Flogging Molly)...

Just you wait and see...it is my plan to have a unique and well blended music to support the whole vision of the theme camp...good music is most important though not blasting with over amplified sound waves.

Atomic Ray
— H.P. Lovecraft
atomicray

Postby curiousgnate » Fri Sep 16, 2011 4:30 pm

So i just stumbled on this thread, having voiced my only bad experience in another thread I won't do so again. suffice it to say that two self-entitled sparkle pony girlies from Canada (still think we should limit the number of Canadians allowed in) caused me some drama. i too did notice a high level of idiots and meanies around the big dance camps both day ones and night ones. this has been the case for the last four burns i have been to, and is the reason I avoid going to them especially after wednesday. Instead I find the small places that i like to go usually in my neighborhood, 830 d-f, and frequent them later in the week. fortunately the people that i love most camp with me in a large camp that is usually comprised of about 40-50 vets, 20 virgins, and 20 new to our camp campmates. This year i was so disallusioned. sp? with the masses, i spent a lot of time in our camp. I know there are great people out there to meet, but this year I didn't want to make the effort. I think what I am going to try and do next year if i go at all is get in early to help with a project, and then leave early like around thursday. I don't really care about the burns (except temple if i have lost someone, and could always come back for that if need be) I absolutely hate the self entitlement that reaches its peak towards the weekend. That being said I think it would be my way of making my burn what it needs to be for me! I still love the event but it is changing and not in a way that makes he happy, which is fine. I also have found regional events to be more and more my cup of tea. They are small, more intimate, and are a great way to meet people in a more hospitable environment over a shorter period of time. I think a year or two off might be a good thing for me, but then again i say that every year and come january there i am in line to get a ticket.

as to photographers who do not ask first this is NOT ACCEPTABLE in the least!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! one almost got his creepy ass punched by my friend who decided to dance topless, she screamed at him told him that it was not ok, made him show her the picture and then delete it, and took his tag number and reported it! Do not do it! and if you do prepare to get the shit beat out of you! whew sorry for the rant!

I do and will always love the event, its just some of the non-participants that piss me off. such is life, i just need to get over it!
Creating Peace Through Anarchy Every Day!!! Stagger for life!
curiousgnate

Postby clerkkent » Sun Sep 18, 2011 11:37 am

penrose wrote:Peeve 1:
On 8:30 between A and B was a huge "anonymous" camp of luxury RVs housing people who'd flown in and had everything catered, from food to showers to an on-the-spot costume seamstress. There was even a servants quarters in this faux little paradise, in that the paid workers didn't live with and weren't supposed to fraternize with the customers. How they could do this without greasing some of the BMorg's dirty palms I don't know. (I know there were several east coast CEOs and at least one state governor's wife, and I heard at least one Hollywood scumbag name being dropped as well.) Another one across 8:30 from there, luxury RVs, a rack of dozens of identical bikes, etc. had a big party Sunday night, in hindsight I regret not crashing it to see what the fuckers were up to.

My question is why would a VIP lounge qualify for reserved camping space (8:30 between A/B was reserved space)? They certainly aren't interactive (unless you count the customer interacting with the employee), and its debatable what they actually contribute to the community (unless you count the $$$$).
7 burns and counting. Each one gets better.
clerkkent

Postby deutlich » Sun Sep 18, 2011 1:32 pm

curiousgnate wrote:as to photographers who do not ask first this is NOT ACCEPTABLE in the least!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! one almost got his creepy ass punched by my friend who decided to dance topless, she screamed at him told him that it was not ok, made him show her the picture and then delete it, and took his tag number and reported it! Do not do it! and if you do prepare to get the shit beat out of you! whew sorry for the rant!

Oh, man -- I'll be a Burgin in 2012 and this is the thing that worries me the most of everything. I've seen soooo many photographers/videographers post women who are topless on the internet. One or two of them look as though they asked first/after with sign-off but the vast majority are attendees being dickheads. I figured I'd bring a mask of some sort to wear if/when I were to do something like that, but that just makes me sad I didn't go 8 years ago like I should've.

It's really good to note what she did to protect herself though. Thank you for sharing that.
deutlich

PreviousNext

Return to Experiences at Burning Man