Burning Dreams...

Share your pictures and video. Tell us about the sights, sounds, and scents, as well as the rumors and truths found at Burning Man.

Burning Dreams...

Postby theBrooke » Fri Jun 18, 2004 12:11 pm

So, every year I have dreams about burning man... They usually start with the first sign of spring, at least 3 times a week. They are not happy dreams at all, what the hell? This year they have been kinda disturbing to tell you the truth. Usually I've forgotten something of importance my bike is a reoccouring one. Last night it was my girlfriends bike, and I couldn't figure out what day it was so I missed my playappointments. Usually we are at burningman, but not on the playa... in the woods, a beautiful gorge once... my mom was there one time (huh?) and was setting up a booth to sell t-shirts. I had to explain that she couldn't do that and she got very upset. Why are my dreams riddled with unsettling burning man happenings? I had the same kinds of dreams last year, and low and behold as I'm at the helm of our rented rv... making record time to Winnemucca, I realize I brought no underwear of any kind... and none of my costumes :(

What does it mean? Why am I so scared of forgetting things? Does anyone else have these kinds of dreams? Burning Dreams at all?

group therapy please.

Brooke
=(*o*)=(^-^)=(º0º)=(*.*)=(^_^)=(*_*)=
theBrooke

Postby dragonfly Jafe » Fri Jun 18, 2004 12:19 pm

Be happy your nightmares are about Burning Man.

My nightmares about work seem to squeeze out anything else. What I wouldn't give to have a nightmare about Burning Man... even if I was pantless and wearing a so-wrong!

I assume they go away once youy hit the Playa?

regards, jafe
dragonfly Jafe

Postby theBrooke » Fri Jun 18, 2004 12:27 pm

Oh yes, all is well once there... and the few months afterward, if I do have a burninman dream it's usually fantastic... It's after the snow melts off the mountains that they turn on me, it's like "hey time to get ready, don't forget anything...MUAH HA hahahahahahahaaaaaa" Kind of annoying. I've noticed I usually dream after I've woken up and gone back to sleep so sometimes I'll wake at 7:30am to use the o so close and flushable potty, and consider staying awake to avoid the madness. But hey I guess I'm not dreaming about my cubicle so there's a plus ;)

B
=(*o*)=(^-^)=(º0º)=(*.*)=(^_^)=(*_*)=
theBrooke

Postby PurplMyst » Fri Jun 18, 2004 12:57 pm

I too have similar dreams of Burning Man. Forgetting things like all my costumes, the tent, all the glow stuff, etc. In some of my dreams people I haven't talked to in years came with me, and locations have varied from the beach to a park in the town I grew up in. I just chalk it up to BM obsession + all the usual psychobabble that's always running around in my subconcious. :D
"Those who danced were thought quite insane by those who did not hear the music"
PurplMyst

Burning Since: 2004

Postby dragonfly Jafe » Fri Jun 18, 2004 3:38 pm

Maybe you could keep a checklist book next to your bed (or under your pillow). That way your subconscious would know the details are nearby and not lost. And if you did remember something while in bed....you wouldn't forget it!

Last year I had dreams of my mutant vehicle collapsing (like the hindenburg, although no one died). Funny thing about that was there was all sorts of news cameras on scene immediately, and the court case was held at BM also! (I was obsolved, although I can't remember why...) obviously I was stressing about all the construction details (ultimately it never made it last year due to engine failure - prophetic?)

I keep a small bottle of Playa next to my bed (pure, deep Playa!) It is nice to smell now and then when things are stressful. Some people swear by a pinch-a-day in a drink. YMMV. Jafe
dragonfly Jafe

Postby Dork » Fri Jun 18, 2004 3:48 pm

The dreams are allowing you to experience your fears so that you don't have to in real life. When you have a dream of forgetting your bike, be relieved because now you'll be sure to remember it! You're freed from having that unpleasant experience in real life.

I had a nightmare where my art car (still being built) was trashed by the guy running my work space. Man, was I pissed!

Last year, I had dreams of crazy projects that I had created. In one, my entire camp was made of bungee cords. The shade, the tables, chairs, tents, everything! In another, I brought these huge pinatas that instead of breaking from the outside people would get inside them and start hitting it with a stick until they fell out into a pile of candy. That actually sounded like a lot of fun.
Dork

Postby Sandwichman » Fri Jun 18, 2004 5:16 pm

I have not been to the Playa yet but still have experienced dreams like these. I remember in one I had forgotten my shade structure and was trying to make do with t-shirts strung together over brooms.

I had one dream where I was unprepared when the tide came in on the playa and I was without a dry spot to stand or sit.

Jason
oonsa oonsa for your feets click here
Sandwichman

Postby DeadlyKungFu » Fri Jun 18, 2004 5:25 pm

went to my first burn last year, EVERY SINGLE NIGHT for a month or so afterwards I had playa dreams, just me floating around the playa with the art cars and freaks... :) very relaxing.

do you ever have this dream where you're standing on a greek temple in these sort of sun god robes and all these naked women are throwing little pickles at you?
DeadlyKungFu

Return to Experiences at Burning Man