Input needed on BM. Paper due next week!!!!

Share your pictures and video. Tell us about the sights, sounds, and scents, as well as the rumors and truths found at Burning Man.

Postby jella » Tue May 17, 2011 9:34 pm

translation for the rest of us to read :)
In 1986 to Barker beach, San Francisco, some 20 people attended the cremation of a man, wood, simply in honour of the summer solstice. It is actually as well as Burning Man began his debut. Who would have guessed that this event would become with time a real festival of diversity, pleasure and mutual assistance, with almost 50,000 people. Today, these many thousands of people across the world come celebrate together in the Nevada desert, bringing with them works of only temporary also beautiful arts, personal gifts and mainly, their own individuality. The festivities lasted a week full during which we find a crazy amount of imagination, love and life. All is however intended to disappear completely by the end of the event, leaving no other trace that engraved in the hearts of the participants.

First, one of the main philosophies of the Burning Man festival is the promotion of a "radical expression of itself", let go of his individuality and foster personal confidence and acceptance of differences and peculiarities of others. At Burning Man, the terms "bizarre", "abnormal" and "yuck, what is it?" simply don't exist. In the unveiling of an atypical body or a work of art out of the ordinary, the expression remains one of the main reasons for the festival. We also find all kinds of people, old, young, big, thin and of all colors. Advocates diversity and must have an incredible openness to consider to attend such an event. The values transmitted by Burning Man tend to accompany the Festival beyond the event, even up to influence his life and his way of perceiving the world around him. The participants of the festival attempt among other continue to live in harmony with their individuality as well as to promote a positive attitude toward others. This openness is something to prioritize in the life of every day and is certainly one of the most favourable attitudes in which appeal to humanity, because with this acceptance of self and his entourage, man can actually come into contact with his environment. It is this kind of behaviour and attitudes which diminish prejudices and animosity between the men.

Another dominant aspects of Burning Man is the involvement of all in the same project, creating a real feeling of belonging and community. Some 50,000 participants must participate actively in the realization of the great project that is the Burning Man event. It invites festivalgoers to contribute to the artistic network in demonstrating superb works of arts that can take the form of decorated bicycles, extravagant costumes or any other kind of artistic expression. Individuals are also called to demonstrate generosity and mutual assistance in helping a neighbor with the Assembly of his tent for example. What are these personal contributions so that the participants have the sense of belonging in the group because each individual between in Burning Man with this approach, this same desire to be part of this huge community and participate in something bigger than him. This attitude ensures that everyone involved in the event, everyone living fully and engages in the event of how active and not passive. There is also not this sense of "royalty" and the requirement that we contribute to return us favours or goods of equal value. There is also no monetary circulation throughout the festival and no money can be done "on the back" of Burning man. Indeed, as Rousseau said, "it has with money, apart from hearts and good citizens" #. Burning man, rather the sense of universality, this desire to contribute and that, in the end, the efforts of the other we will have done also grow there.

However, despite all the positive and all the good that can make Burning man in the lives of those involved, the event lasts one week in total. True, during this week, it is mutual, sharing and live full, happy to be part of this unique world that is the experience of the "burner". However, I believe that, over a longer period of time, the system would collapse. Actually, "where each, so to speak, is free to act at its discretion and to surrender to this licence, the confusion and disorder not slow to manifest itself from all sides" #. I believe that it is impossible for humans to remain completely altruistic and disinterested by his own gain. In the long run, we would begin to see the animosity appear

I think she did an excellent job.:)
Burning Man isn't about the stuff you see when you get there ....it's about the people that brought that stuff there
jella

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: ASSORTED :)

Postby graidawg » Tue May 17, 2011 9:34 pm

ygmir wrote:
robbidobbs wrote:
as fortune would have it, and as deemed by the Norns, I happen to have built said "Gallows truck".

THIS IS FUCKING AMAZING YGMIR!
Please please pleeeze bring it out this year!

Congratulation on this acquisition.[/quote]

Thanks Robbidobbs......well, sort of an acquisition. I made it.
created from two other trucks.

haha, I'd love to bring it.....but, it'd take a month to drive out, and, I can't afford a lowbed.
but, it does reach out 35', or 45' straight up.[/quote]

didn't you post pics of its creation, which is pretty damn awesome and it would certainly make an incredible gallows truck. Now to add teh fire breathing attachement.
completely unconcerned.
"Savannah" I like it . . . it makes us sound forward-thinking, and not at all like trailblazing, professional-level procrastinors.
the rest of us are in the School of Fukkit. "Eric"
graidawg

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Dread Pirate barbie

Postby jkisha » Tue May 17, 2011 9:43 pm

That was a great paper. (I don't read French, save for the miracle of the Google translate plugin.)
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
jkisha

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby MyDearFriend » Wed May 18, 2011 4:55 am

jkisha wrote:That was a great paper. (I don't read French, save for the miracle of the Google translate plugin.)

+100

(((Delle))) Congrats on raising such a wonderful young person!

fake edit: Ygmir can I come over and play with your toys? :lol:
Practice Love. Exercise Sex.

"When life seems dangerous and unmanageable, just remember that it is, and that you can't survive forever."
MyDearFriend

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp DREAD PIRATE BARBIE

Postby ygmir » Wed May 18, 2011 7:45 am

MyDearFriend wrote:
jkisha wrote:That was a great paper. (I don't read French, save for the miracle of the Google translate plugin.)

+100

(((Delle))) Congrats on raising such a wonderful young person!

fake edit: Ygmir can I come over and play with your toys? :lol:

Ja, potsem muj domu, holki.

(butchered spelling, I'm sure, haha)
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Postby Dr. Pyro » Wed May 18, 2011 9:44 am

I went to my atlas and I can't find a Barker Beach anywhere in California.
Dr. Pyro

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro

Postby ygmir » Wed May 18, 2011 9:49 am

yer lookin in the wrong place, Doc.

YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Postby delle » Sat May 21, 2011 3:02 am

:shock:

Perhaps a dig? Roundabout way of calling us passel of mongrels????

Growl!!!

I'm way more concerned with the syntax and grammar errors in the english version.

After much thought on the matter, I've decided to blame it on faulty genetics on her father's side rather than the translation engine used. For some reason this soothes me.

I'm apparently not being raptured today, and have decided to let my bitch out to play. It's a start.
He soars not high who fears to fall
delle

Postby gyre » Sat May 21, 2011 9:03 am

To endure is the first thing that a child ought to learn, and that which he will have the most need to know.

Jean Jacques Rousseau

I would like to know the quote she refers to.
I can't find it.
gyre

Postby delle » Sat May 21, 2011 12:45 pm

gyre wrote:To endure is the first thing that a child ought to learn, and that which he will have the most need to know.

Jean Jacques Rousseau

I would like to know the quote she refers to.
I can't find it.

If you're referring to «on a de tout avec l'argent, hormis des coeurs et des bons citoyens». I believe the english equivalent is actually "You can buy anything with money except for morality".

Which just goes to show ya..... internet translations are ALWAYS interesting.
He soars not high who fears to fall
delle

Postby gyre » Sat May 21, 2011 1:01 pm

Interesting choice.

I met a french scientist, and we got along great in spite of neither of us speaking well enough to translate.
Worse was translators unable to speak technical in either language.

Somehow we floundered along.
Amazingly he invited me to come see him.
If I can find his info and he's doing well, it may be the first place I head after the house is tucked in.
Should be interesting, and perhaps I'll sharpen my french.
Funny how you just like some people, isn't it?
gyre

Previous

Return to Experiences at Burning Man