Input needed on BM. Paper due next week!!!!

Share your pictures and video. Tell us about the sights, sounds, and scents, as well as the rumors and truths found at Burning Man.

Postby TomServo » Sat May 07, 2011 2:37 pm

Vehicles that can transport other burners are (or at least used to be) encouraged, by the DMV. This is probably why Buses tend to get an easier permit...Ive found the best way to get a ride on a mutant vehicle is to injure yourself. Unfortunately for a former camp mate, she was injured by our MV.
anything worth doing..is worth overdoing

Vor Gebrauch Sprengkapsel einsetzen
TomServo

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: BloodBath&Beyond

Postby bluesbob » Sat May 07, 2011 3:31 pm

I was able to ride on two cars this last Burn. Had a great time on each. One stopped for me as I walked across the playa, which was a very nice surprise. The other I just climbed aboard as they had a screaming match with a bunch of Death Guild vehicles. (great acting).

The disappointment was walking up to a car to which I donated money on Kickstarter, and being treated poorly and basically shooed away. I had a resentment for about 5 minutes...then remembered where I was and went off and had fun anyways.
"aw shucks.." - Eric
bluesbob

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: AV

Postby MyDearFriend » Sat May 07, 2011 5:37 pm

bluesbob wrote:I was able to ride on two cars this last Burn. Had a great time on each. One stopped for me as I walked across the playa, which was a very nice surprise. The other I just climbed aboard as they had a screaming match with a bunch of Death Guild vehicles. (great acting).

The disappointment was walking up to a car to which I donated money on Kickstarter, and being treated poorly and basically shooed away. I had a resentment for about 5 minutes...then remembered where I was and went off and had fun anyways.

Yeah, that might be an unhappy moment for me too, so, I have resisted the MV appeals on Kickstarter, sadly.
Practice Love. Exercise Sex.

"When life seems dangerous and unmanageable, just remember that it is, and that you can't survive forever."
MyDearFriend

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp DREAD PIRATE BARBIE

Postby graidawg » Sat May 07, 2011 5:39 pm

MyDearFriend wrote:
bluesbob wrote:I was able to ride on two cars this last Burn. Had a great time on each. One stopped for me as I walked across the playa, which was a very nice surprise. The other I just climbed aboard as they had a screaming match with a bunch of Death Guild vehicles. (great acting).

Yeah, that might be an unhappy moment for me too, so, I have resisted the MV appeals on Kickstarter, sadly.

ESPECIALLY CHARLIE THE FUCKING UNICORN!
completely unconcerned.
"Savannah" I like it . . . it makes us sound forward-thinking, and not at all like trailblazing, professional-level procrastinors.
the rest of us are in the School of Fukkit. "Eric"
graidawg

Camp Name: Dread Pirate barbie

Postby gyre » Sat May 07, 2011 7:32 pm

I've had art cars that have invited me for rides not slow down enough to recognize me.
One I helped solve their lighting issues, so they could be licensed.

Don't jump to conclusions about people's motivations, until you know for sure though.

Some people are jerks.
Better to know it, and not waste your time, isn't it?

You always have time to find out for sure though, don't you?

I find I have plenty of time to despise someone once I know.
The world is full of forgettable people.

Art cars just aren't useful transportation, unless you like ending up somewhere without a way back.
Some people enjoy that.

If you want to ride on one, arrange it ahead of time, and be there for departure.
It can be hard, even when you're welcome to ride.

Some art cars really are run the way they are supposed to be, all the time.
You can still get the wrong idea, when they are full and stopping.
gyre

Postby Simon of the Playa » Sun May 08, 2011 9:20 pm

How is Burning man, the community and the people, THE optimal way to live.

i dont know if you could classify anything as optimal without throwing out the potential for evolution.

as previously stated, the ten principles are a pretty simple, straightforward, non-denominational, reasonable thoughtful manner in which to conduct oneself.

By practicing this self-reliance you then also become part of a large whole that is radically inter-dependent...you need others and you need to cooperate in order to overcome the harsh conditions and strenuous nature of the Black Rock Desert and the week long sleep deprivation that will stretch your limits of what you think you can do.

i think it brings out the best in people, in many ways, Creatively, Emotionally, Spiritually and other ways and we would need threads just to explain how it does this, we know it just does. I think i can speak with authority when i say there isn't one of us out there/in here who hasn't stopped, looked around and maybe even wistfully proclaimed out loud "Why Can't it ALWAYS be like this?"

i ask myself this question alot.

Every day i wonder why the best in people isn't bubbling, percolating like really fresh campfire coffee that you can smell for 100 yards. Its grabbing you and shaking you into being when you wake up, and you are actually looking forward to the day.

why don't we say hello to people we don't know?

why are people always so angry?

what's the Rush? are you late to a job you hate?

how do we make this self sustaining is the 6 million dollars to buy out the Org Question, how do we introduce via the regionals and other means such as BWB BRAF etc etc this way of doing things?

"burning shit and blowing stuff up" really is just a state of mind, one that is embraced and encouraged in the tabla rasa of the dust, but should not be limited to that location or time frame in which it occurs physically.

i burn shit every day, and at least once during the day, something that i have learned at burning man affects the way i interact with the rest of the world.

so back to optimal...no, i think we are learning all the time, and i also think burners learn more and are open to new knowledge because of their experience on the playa, more so than the "norm".

is it the best i've found so far?

yes...thats why i keep dragging my dust from wherever i am to Black Rock City every goddamn year, because for one week, it is like it is supposed to be.
breathe deep, the playa is the dust of your ancestors

A gift for the Playa
Simon of the Playa

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Postby Super Evil Brian » Mon May 09, 2011 8:17 am

FIGJAM wrote:If you sreamed "HELP" on the playa, 20 great big fuckers would show up in seconds to see what was the matter, then quickly erect a gallows for the impromto lynching!

You may quote me on that. 8)

It would be a fire-spewing gallows made from "repurposed" truck and military parts and probably run by a guy in a leather thong with a chainmail mask and pink tutu.

DJs will gather to spin dubstep and naked girls will follow and everyone will keep blood and vertibrae fragments from making MOOP on the playa.

That's my theory about it.
"I knew it was wrong, but I did it anyway."
Jesus fuckhole, what the fuck was that?
"Playa dust might be the cleanest, most corrosive filth you'll ever love," Savannah said.
Super Evil Brian

Postby jkisha » Mon May 09, 2011 9:17 am

Super Evil Brian wrote:
FIGJAM wrote:If you sreamed "HELP" on the playa, 20 great big fuckers would show up in seconds to see what was the matter, then quickly erect a gallows for the impromto lynching!

It would be a fire-spewing gallows made from "repurposed" truck and military parts and probably run by a guy in a leather thong with a chainmail mask and pink tutu.

DJs will gather to spin dubstep and naked girls will follow and everyone will keep blood and vertibrae fragments from making MOOP on the playa.

Are you sure you're a virgin?
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
jkisha

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby graidawg » Mon May 09, 2011 9:53 am

Super Evil Brian wrote:

is this 'I'm going to kill every last one of you motherfuckers Brian' showing himself?

Dammit Brian you are on MY list of people to meet !
completely unconcerned.
"Savannah" I like it . . . it makes us sound forward-thinking, and not at all like trailblazing, professional-level procrastinors.
the rest of us are in the School of Fukkit. "Eric"
graidawg

Camp Name: Dread Pirate barbie

Postby Super Evil Brian » Mon May 09, 2011 10:04 am

I asked a girl in Minneapolis about that, then the next time I saw her I found out she was a hooker and was eligible for parole on Valentine's Day.
"Playa dust might be the cleanest, most corrosive filth you'll ever love," Savannah said.
Super Evil Brian

Postby Super Evil Brian » Mon May 09, 2011 10:07 am

graidawg wrote:
Super Evil Brian wrote:

is this 'I'm going to kill every last one of you motherfuckers Brian' showing himself?

Dammit Brian you are on MY list of people to meet !

You bet!

I'll be volunteering in Media Mecca. I think there is some means of "registering" or finding people on the playa.

Or, look for the funny, sexy bastard with girls swarming all over him, I'll be the dude taking pictures of it.
Super Evil Brian

Postby Mojojita » Mon May 09, 2011 1:39 pm

"Be one with the dust of the earth. It is primal union."
Lao Tze
Mojojita

Postby Leo » Mon May 16, 2011 7:51 am

Delle,
How did your daughter's paper turn out? Hope she received an "A".
Best Regards,
Leo
Leo

Postby delle » Mon May 16, 2011 8:34 am

She's actually handing it in today.

When she read it to me yesterday, I have to admit a little tear swelled to hear her speak knowledgeably of something so dear to me.

I asked if I could post it in here, and she said SURE!

Any of you read french????? lmao

As it turns out she didn't quote anyone.... except Rousseau and Machiavel... but read every word in here with interest, and used them to better understand the whole thing. I think she captured it quite well!!!

A HUGE thank you to all who took the time.....
He soars not high who fears to fall
delle

Postby gyre » Tue May 17, 2011 10:02 am

I want to read it.

I speak enough french to not offend the french embassy and ask for ice.
And I can always get chambermaids to giggle at my french.
gyre

Postby ygmir » Tue May 17, 2011 10:25 am

Super Evil Brian wrote:

It would be a fire-spewing gallows made from "repurposed" truck and military parts
and probably run by a guy in a leather thong with a chainmail mask and pink tutu.

as fortune would have it, and as deemed by the Norns, I happen to have built said "Gallows truck".

YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Postby MyDearFriend » Tue May 17, 2011 1:12 pm

Very impressive truck, Ygmir!

Now I want to see a picture of you in the leather thong, the chainmail mask and the pink tutu...

8)
Practice Love. Exercise Sex.

"When life seems dangerous and unmanageable, just remember that it is, and that you can't survive forever."
MyDearFriend

Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp DREAD PIRATE BARBIE

Postby ygmir » Tue May 17, 2011 1:14 pm

MyDearFriend wrote:Very impressive truck, Ygmir!

Now I want to see a picture of you in the leather thong, the chainmail mask and the pink tutu...

8)

YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Postby robbidobbs » Tue May 17, 2011 2:09 pm

[/quote] as fortune would have it, and as deemed by the Norns, I happen to have built said "Gallows truck".

Image[/quote]

THIS IS FUCKING AMAZING YGMIR!
Please please pleeeze bring it out this year!

Congratulation on this acquisition.
Sometimes I just tickle myself.
13 years of doing the porta-potties wrong.
robbidobbs

Camp Name: Dept of Over-Engineering

Postby delle » Tue May 17, 2011 4:30 pm

Here it is. Sans photos (bunch of people riding around in a fish) and sans footnotes (so you have to figure out who the quotes belong to yerownselves).... I just couldn't figure out how to link to it.

Éthique et Politique
2011-05-16

Burning Man : Une semaine qui dure l’année entière

En 1986 à Barker beach, San Francisco, quelques 20 personnes assistent à l’incinération d’un homme en bois, simplement en honneur du solstice d’été. C’est effectivement ainsi que Burning Man a connut ses débuts. Qui aurait pu deviner que cet événement deviendrait avec le temps un véritable festival de la diversité, du plaisir et de l’entraide, comptant près de 50 000 personnes. Aujourd’hui, ces plusieurs milliers de personnes de partout dans le monde viennent célébrer ensemble dans le désert du Nevada, apportant avec eux des œuvres d’arts aussi magnifiques que temporaires, des cadeaux personnels et surtout, leur propre individualité. Les festivités durent une semaine complète durant laquelle nous retrouvons une quantité folle d’imagination, d’amour et de vie. Le tout est cependant destiné à disparaître complètement dès la fin de l’événement, ne laissant aucune autre trace que celle gravée dans le cœur des participants.

D’abord, une des principales philosophies du festival Burning Man est la promotion d’une «expression radicale de soi», de laisser aller son individualité et de favoriser une confiance personnelle ainsi qu’une acceptation des différences et particularités d’autrui. À Burning Man, les termes «bizarre», «anormal» et «beurk, c’est quoi ça?» n’existent tout simplement pas. Que ce soit dans le dévoilement d’un corps atypique ou encore d’une œuvre d’art hors du commun, l’expression demeure une des principales raisons d’être du festival. Nous retrouvons d’ailleurs toutes sortes de personnes, vieilles, jeunes, grosses, minces et de toutes les couleurs. On prône la diversité et on se doit d’avoir une ouverture d’esprit incroyable pour envisager d’assister à un tel événement. Les valeurs transmises par Burning Man ont tendance à accompagner le festivalier bien au-delà de l’événement, allant même jusqu’à influencer son mode de vie et sa manière de percevoir le monde autour de lui. Les participants du festival essayent entre autre de continuer à vivre en harmonie avec leur individualité ainsi que de prôner une attitude positive face à celle d’autrui. Cette ouverture d’esprit est quelque chose à prioriser dans la vie de tous les jours et est certainement une des attitudes les plus favorables en ce qui attrait à l’humanité car avec cette acceptation de soi et de son entourage, l’homme peut réellement entrer en contact avec son environnement. Ce sont ce genre de comportements et attitudes qui diminuent les préjugés et l’animosité entre les hommes.

Un autre des aspects dominants de Burning Man est l’implication de tous dans un même projet, créant un réel sentiment d’appartenance et de communauté. Les quelques 50 000 participants se doivent de participer activement à la réalisation du grand projet qu’est l’événement Burning Man. On invite les festivaliers à contribuer au réseau artistique en faisant la démonstration de superbes œuvres d’arts qui peuvent prendre la forme de bicyclettes décorées, de costumes extravagants ou tout autre sorte d’expression artistique. Les individus sont aussi appelés à faire preuve de générosité et d’entraide en aidant un voisin avec l’assemblage de sa tente par exemple. Ce sont ces contributions personnelles qui font en sorte que les participants ont ce sentiment d’appartenance au sein du groupe car chaque individu entre dans Burning Man avec cette même approche, ce même désir de faire partie de cette communauté immense et de participer à quelque chose de plus grand que lui. Cette attitude fait en sorte que tout le monde s’implique dans l’événement, tout le monde le vit pleinement et s’engage dans l’événement de manière active et non passive. Il n’y a d’ailleurs pas ce sentiment de «redevance» et l’exigence que ce que nous contribuons nous revienne en faveurs ou en marchandise d’égale valeur. Il n’y a d’ailleurs aucune circulation monétaire tout au long du festival et aucun argent ne peut être fait «sur le dos» de Burning man. Effectivement, comme l’a dit Rousseau, «on a de tout avec l'argent, hormis des coeurs et des bons citoyens»#. À Burning man, il y a plutôt ce sentiment d’universalité, ce désir de contribuer et de constater que, à la fin, les efforts des autres nous auront fait grandir aussi.

Toutefois, malgré tout le positif et tout le bien que peut apporter Burning man dans la vie de ceux qui y participent, l’événement ne dure qu’une semaine au total. Certes, durant cette semaine entière, on s’entraide, on partage et on vit pleinement, heureux de faire partie de ce monde unique qu’est l’expérience du «burner». Je crois cependant que, sur une plus longue période de temps, le système s’écroulerait. Effectivement, «là où chacun, pour ainsi dire, est libre d'agir à son gré et de s'abandonner à là licence, la confusion et le désordre ne tardent pas à se manifester de toutes parts»#. Je crois qu’il est impossible pour l’être humain de rester complètement altruiste et désintéressé par son propre gain. À la longue, nous commencerions à voir apparaitre de l’animosité dans le cœur d’un homme face à son voisin qui, en jouant de la musique très fort toute la nuit, l’empêche de dormir. Nous pourrions également commencer à voir l’apparition d’un sentiment d’injustice chez un individu si, en échange d’un bien ou d’un service, il ne recevait pas l’équivalent à son tour. «Le bonheur de donner [serait] mort à force de donner»# et le désir de recevoir éloignerait l’homme du contentement de faire du bien à son prochain sans rien exiger en retour.

En somme, l’expérience Burning man ne pourrait probablement pas exister à long terme. Il est nécessaire, dans la vie de tous les jours, que chaque individu s’occupe soi-même de son propre intérêt pour permettre le bon fonctionnement d’une société juste. Je juge qu’il est tout de même important pour tous de s’engager sur la voie de l’affirmation de soi, de l’acceptation des autres et de la participation au sein de sa société, peu importe de quelle manière. Ce sont pour ces raisons que l’événement Burning man favorise notre nature humaine car, pour le peu de temps que le festival dure réellement, il nous donne les capacités de vivre une meilleure vie et aide à nous reconnecter avec nous même et les gens qui nous entourent.
delle

Postby delle » Tue May 17, 2011 4:36 pm

ygmir wrote: as fortune would have it, and as deemed by the Norns, I happen to have built said "Gallows truck".

Get out the big rag Yiggy. My guy just drooled all over your truck!!!!
He apologizes, but can't help himself!!!!
delle

Postby Ugly Dougly » Tue May 17, 2011 4:54 pm

Pourqoui! Pourquoi est-elle dans la langue des grenouilles?
Please to visit PAGE TWO.
Ugly Dougly

Postby Ugly Dougly » Tue May 17, 2011 4:56 pm

Super Evil Brian wrote:

I asked a girl in Minneapolis about that, then the next time I saw her I found out she was a hooker and was eligible for parole on Valentine's Day.

That's so romantic. :D
<3 <3 <3
Ugly Dougly

Postby Ugly Dougly » Tue May 17, 2011 4:59 pm

Savannah wrote:Agreed. Art cars are not a mass transit system.

The one that came closest was the multi-car Draka the Dragon.

I rode Draka too! But then she dropped me off in BumFuck, aka Z and 3.14.

But then a small taxi-like MV picked me up and brought me home.
Ugly Dougly

Postby Savannah » Tue May 17, 2011 5:46 pm

:mrgreen:
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby delle » Tue May 17, 2011 6:29 pm

Ugly Dougly wrote:Pourqoui! Pourquoi est-elle dans la langue des grenouilles?

Because! Because it's done nothing but rain here for weeks!!!

We adapt quickly~~~
delle

Postby Dr. Pyro » Tue May 17, 2011 8:16 pm

I don't mean to sound critical, but you people should not post drunk. None of those words make sense. It's like, well, you're European or worse, like French.
Dr. Pyro

Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro

Postby oneeyeddick » Tue May 17, 2011 8:39 pm

But yet you drink french wine.
We have an obligation to make space for everyone, we have no obligation to make that space pleasant.
oneeyeddick

Postby gyre » Tue May 17, 2011 8:45 pm

I thought when he was drunk, he whined in french?

Interesting training regimen anyway.
gyre

Postby ygmir » Tue May 17, 2011 8:53 pm

robbidobbs wrote:
as fortune would have it, and as deemed by the Norns, I happen to have built said "Gallows truck".

Image[/quote]

THIS IS FUCKING AMAZING YGMIR!
Please please pleeeze bring it out this year!

Congratulation on this acquisition.[/quote]

Thanks Robbidobbs......well, sort of an acquisition. I made it.
created from two other trucks.

haha, I'd love to bring it.....but, it'd take a month to drive out, and, I can't afford a lowbed.
but, it does reach out 35', or 45' straight up.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

PreviousNext

Return to Experiences at Burning Man