Tents, RVs, Shade Structures, Domes, Hexayurts...

Share your pictures and video. Tell us about the sights, sounds, and scents, as well as the rumors and truths found at Burning Man.

Tents, RVs, Shade Structures, Domes, Hexayurts...

Postby Packoderm » Sun Feb 20, 2011 12:26 pm

...and the people who love them:

Let's be dorks and show pictures of our abode away from abode - either on the playa or away. Extra burner status points go to aesthetic use of camouflage netting, hexayurts of any design, and for the use of wood or canvas. Triple mega bonus points for pictures of hexayurts used away from Burning Man. Lastly, bonus friendly points for technical shots of infrastructure such as how shade structures are secured to the ground and such - even if it's someone else' picture pulled from the internet. '
Packoderm

Postby Packoderm » Sun Feb 20, 2011 12:46 pm

Here is my main RV that had to say home last year because she blew a valve. Her default world registration is behind, so I hope she can manage to enjoy life transformed into a mutant vehicle.

Packoderm

Postby Packoderm » Sun Feb 20, 2011 1:14 pm

To me, tent camping is the best when either at BRC or away. I know that wimpy little shade structure wouldn't last a minute in a white out, but I brought it to BM anyway last year. I used it as a clothes rack for free costumes we were giving away until somebody showed up to camp with a big canvas tent and forgot the poles. We just expanded the frame inside the tent and it worked fine.

And my tent that seems to withstand any amount of wind, I set it up at BRC for storage to get my little Toyota moho a bit less cluttered.

Packoderm

Postby Packoderm » Sun Feb 20, 2011 1:25 pm

Here is some tent camping I saw when I was out traveling one time.

Packoderm

Postby moonrise » Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:48 am

I didn't take many photos at BM and none of my carport elsewhere...however, the below link is epic, it shows all of BRC from satelite
(my carport is in there, somewhere, LOL)

It's fun to zoom in on all the interesting camps; can you find the "red arrow?" it's over by the 2 O'clock side...it's a shade structure, seemingly made for this satelite photo!

Have fun!

http://www.gigapan.org/gigapans/66285/
I'm the MAN in a truck, burner who is stuck, you're in luck! I'll whip out my BIG tow chain and not charge you, not even one lousy buck!
moonrise

Postby lucky420 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:49 am

I will try and post some yurt shots a bit later today
lucky420

Burning Since: I'm not sure
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Postby TailsCut » Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:57 pm

Here's our camp from last year (edit: our virgin year), just after the rain and the double rainbow. My girlfriend and I had a 12-15' conduit dome and built our shade structure using only a canvas tarp, three 2x4's, about 150' of rope, and about a dozen pieces of candy-caned rebar. We wanted to be comfortable and completely self-sufficient, but our requirement was that everything had to fit in my Impreza wagon without completely destroying the suspension on the 1000 mi drive.

We adapted our shade structure from Camp Elsewhere's designs. http://www.bweebweebwee.com/tensegrity/

Our living room and kitchen (note the use of canvas and wood!):

And our bedroom, nice and shaded so we could sleep past 8am.

Finally, inside our dome, which was our lounge, storage, dressing room, shower, love nest, and general home to shenanigans (except during peak hot hours -- we learned that it could benefit from better ventilation):
TailsCut

Postby Galaxo Magic » Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:18 am

lucky420 wrote:I will try and post some yurt shots a bit later today

I've done RV, trailer, tent and hexiyurt. My favorite was our little Casita travel trailer. Nothing like getting clean and getting a good night's sleep for making the next day just as wonderful as the previous. Of course I did not need that when I was 25 but that was a while ago. :) Also, great for the early morning pee, just a few short steps to a clean toilet. That's what made it for my Ex.

Here are our Hexiyurts from 2009. We've used them three years now. They easily withstand the worse winds out there, they stay pretty dust free and didn't get cold at night or too hot during the day.

2 yurts from camp 2009 by gt76man, on Flickr
Elephant trainer to the MV Beau Le'Phant, the pink elephant!
Camp Upsie Dasium
Galaxo Magic

Return to Experiences at Burning Man