Burner-spotting--> BRC folks/gear seen in 'outside' world

Share your pictures and video. Tell us about the sights, sounds, and scents, as well as the rumors and truths found at Burning Man.

Burner-spotting--> BRC folks/gear seen in 'outside' world

Postby kairyth » Fri Jun 04, 2004 11:27 am

I would love to hear folks' stories about the niftiest person or thing they've seen out and about in the outside world that simply MUST have either been to or is destined for the playa. I'm not talking about obvious venues like Flambe lounge, or to/from BRC, but an art car randomly on the street in December, or something similar.

I keep thinking about something I read my first day on the playa (ever!)[last year]... something about the population of BRC being 30,000+, but it is never the same 30K, so there must be thousands of us sneakily assimilating the outside world, growing to a critical mass to change the world... Is there such a thing as burner-dar? (like gay-dar, but different)

MY favorite thing seen in the outside world was a playa bike locked up at a Bart station in Oakland for a couple of months, complete with sparkly feather boa and caked-on dust. Made me smile with nostalgia every day as I walked to face my (at the time) blah job and evil, mean boss.

:) Katherine
'No one will see. The sun but rises. Please. Dance with me.' They did not want to dance. But, celebrating they knew not what, they did. -A Medicine for Melancholy, Ray Bradbury
kairyth

me to me to

Postby midgetsonparade » Fri Jun 04, 2004 1:45 pm

I have this nieghborhoody sweatshirt that says Black Rock City on it and I have been ask a few times about it. I love the fact that only burners understand what city I am from. Plus, it gives me a chance to explain what BRC is to the unfortunate people who have never made it home. I have only seen one burner bike this year which is not so bad considering I live in southern California.
midgetsonparade

Postby Captain Goddammit » Fri Jun 04, 2004 1:57 pm

I have the Man logo on my daily-driver car and some shirts. I like to have just the logo and no text... ANY burner will see it and know what it is, and I don't have to try to explain it to anyone else... usually impossible.
And any burner that sees that logo will come up and say hi.
"Whaoomph! Whaomph! Burbbleburbblepattpattpattpatt... WHAAAAAaaoooaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa........!!!"
Top fuel dragster, by Elliot Naess
Captain Goddammit

Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: Camp I'm going to Hawaii Instead

Postby shitmouse » Fri Jun 04, 2004 5:28 pm

for about a 2 week stretch this past winter,
I was doing the evil commute to Mountain View every day, and I kept running up on a burner with ranger stickers on his pick up doors.

of course I had to honk his ass every time I saw him. He then chased me down a few times both of us laughnig our asses off. ...(because we know the little guy behind the curtain).
-b
=-=-= \<>/ =-=-=
shitmouse

Postby shitmouse » Fri Jun 04, 2004 6:43 pm

one last,
when we go and do voluntary trash pick ups, randomly in the city or along 280, we always wear our BM tshirts.

we've gotten some great comments, and surprised reactions when asked about it; being we're not doing public service for some crime we did. 'course we haven't had to do public service yet.
-b
=-=-= \<>/ =-=-=
shitmouse

Postby DancingTofu » Fri Jun 04, 2004 6:54 pm

I see stickers on cars from time to time, on my absurd commute. Usually I'm too spaced out to do more than grin or shout "yeaah!" to myself as they drive past me, which I figure is better than the alternative of 'love tapping' them from behind to say "Hi."
--manda, Daughter of the Cantaloupes
DancingTofu

Postby Sandwichman » Fri Jun 04, 2004 9:51 pm

Right near my house is a bicycle parked that is decked out in such a gorgeous way that only a burner could do. I have not seen anyone on it yet but I keep watching. It used to have a pink plastic flamingo on it and now it is pink with all kinds of other decorations.

Also often I see a few art cars cruising in Portland. Now that I live in suburbia I tend to see less signs of BRC.

Jason
oonsa oonsa for your feets click here
Sandwichman

Postby Bob » Fri Jun 04, 2004 11:51 pm

Just today, about five vehicles w/ BRC stickers in two local wrecking yards.
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
Bob

Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Postby Dr. Pyro » Sat Jun 05, 2004 12:41 pm

Oh shit Bob, you mean Draka got out...again?
Dr. Pyro

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro

Return to Experiences at Burning Man