The "Uncle Sam" art car run by the Nevada Police a

Share your pictures and video. Tell us about the sights, sounds, and scents, as well as the rumors and truths found at Burning Man.

Is the Uncle Sam car a figment of my imagination?

Poll ended at Sun Jan 23, 2011 2:18 pm

Yes
67%
No
33%

Total votes : 9

Postby chris2010 » Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:58 am

lucky420 wrote:chris2010, they kind of look like some of guys from the naval base out here in N. Nevada maybe they left because there were no/not enough hot chicks around. They look awfully clean

They may have left because of that, but They just seems strange on how they acted it was almost scripted.
~Chris~
2010, 2011)°(2013?
chris2010

Burning Since: 2010

Postby theCryptofishist » Sat Jan 29, 2011 10:41 am

graidawg wrote:ok maybe i am a bit thick (being english and all) but its ille4gal to buy drugs if offered? or accept them if given?

Don't tell me that you think it's le4gal in England. Don't tell me it is legal in England. Even in Amsterdam it's not completely legal as I understand it.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby lucky.bastard » Sat Jan 29, 2011 2:42 pm

" no i don't want any drugs but I'd love to watch you do some of your drugs "
"In cultivating my own personal sojourn of enlightenment, I've had to forego employment opportunities "
lucky.bastard

Postby LindseyRaeFace » Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:35 am

lucky.bastard wrote:" no i don't want any drugs but I'd love to watch you do some of your drugs "

Brilliant. DO IT.
LindseyRaeFace

Postby redrum420 » Sat Mar 05, 2011 2:44 am

the "ULTRA" music festival shirt that guy has on screams tool bag, or under cover to me. very clean indeed....
redrum420

Postby redrum420 » Sat Mar 05, 2011 2:45 am

the "ULTRA" music festival shirt that guy has on screams tool bag, or under cover to me. very clean indeed....
redrum420

Postby graidawg » Sat Mar 05, 2011 3:14 am

theCryptofishist wrote:
graidawg wrote:ok maybe i am a bit thick (being english and all) but its ille4gal to buy drugs if offered? or accept them if given?

Don't tell me that you think it's le4gal in England. Don't tell me it is legal in England. Even in Amsterdam it's not completely legal as I understand it.

sorry i didnt explain that very well, i mean if someone offers you drugs unsolicited aren't they the one breaking the law?
completely unconcerned.
"Savannah" I like it . . . it makes us sound forward-thinking, and not at all like trailblazing, professional-level procrastinors.
the rest of us are in the School of Fukkit. "Eric"
graidawg

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Dread Pirate barbie

Postby gyre » Sat Mar 05, 2011 4:48 am

You'd think.
Police are allowed to lie in the usa, unless the department or state has a different policy.

I am unaware of a department with an honesty policy.
Bear this in mind.

There are entrapment laws.
Better not to test them.
Innocent people go to prison every day, and nevada is not known as a bastion of legal justice.
gyre

Postby graidawg » Sat Mar 05, 2011 4:52 am

so they can give you drugs and then nick you for possesion?

well, thats just cheating no not just cheating its mean too, do they let you take them before they nab you, id go in a foot race against some donut eating copper for free drugs.... they would probably be oregano or shit though
completely unconcerned.
"Savannah" I like it . . . it makes us sound forward-thinking, and not at all like trailblazing, professional-level procrastinors.
graidawg

Postby gyre » Sat Mar 05, 2011 4:58 am

Probably not giving you drugs, but giving you drugs and lying about it?
Maybe.
Not an area to experiment in.

Nevada and texas are at the top of the states you don't want to face false prosecution in.
gyre

Postby graidawg » Sat Mar 05, 2011 5:04 am

gyre wrote:Probably not giving you drugs, but giving you drugs and lying about it?
Maybe.
Not an area to experiment in.

Nevada and texas are at the top of the states you don't want to face false prosecution in.

lets be honest i dont really want to face any kind of prosecution anywhere.
i want to see photo id before i accept any drugs then including but not limited to aspirin or ibuprofen. also i'm going to be iding anyone that may be thinking about sex with me (i'm famous dontcha no?) (well not actually famous but i look famousish)

perhaps the best idea is no drugs. or sex. or anything that may be fun its probably illegal.

i hear it was better next year anyway
completely unconcerned.
graidawg

Postby gyre » Sat Mar 05, 2011 5:13 am

Sex is legal in nevada.
And alcohol.

Otherwise it would just be saudi arabia.
gyre

Postby graidawg » Sat Mar 05, 2011 5:19 am

gyre wrote:Sex is legal in nevada.
And alcohol.

Otherwise it would just be saudi arabia.

well it is a desert. . . . . . . dont you have to pay when you have sex in nevada though? oh mind you its a gift economy.
whats the age of consent in nevada? , just in case you know
completely unconcerned.
graidawg

Postby gyre » Sat Mar 05, 2011 5:32 am

Just consider it 18, 21 for alcohol.
gyre

Postby graidawg » Sat Mar 05, 2011 5:44 am

gyre wrote:Just consider it 18, 21 for alcohol.

ah thats ok under my daughters age is just to young for me and seems a bit wrong (just a bit mind you) and 21 for alcohol i knew. but thanks its nice to be sure
completely unconcerned.
graidawg

Postby gyre » Sat Mar 05, 2011 5:53 am

That part's easy.

Don't date your daughter.
gyre

Postby Major Krash » Sat Mar 05, 2011 6:15 am

graidawg wrote:so they can give you drugs and then nick you for possesion?

a more likely scenario is a very attractive completely authentic looking Burner of the opposite sex will approach you and ask if you want to trade drugs, usually giving some plausible story about why they got stuck with this drug that they do not do. If you exchange drugs, that is not only possession but distribution, a far more serious charge.

If anyone asks you this, tell them you do not do drugs, and quickly leave them. They are either a cop or stupid. You will not get laid if you "help" them, even if they are not a cop.
Major Krash

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: tbd

Postby addison4 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:38 pm

Well, people may think that my "Camp 1776" is full of Narcs, but we're actually anarchy-freedom lovers. We're there to overthrow the empire! Yah baby!!!! We do have some rangers and NSA employees in the camp, but they love BM more than anyone else. Isn't it ironic that a bunch of people become cops just so the rules don't apply to them! The cops at BM are there to keep you safe; that's the bottom line. It's not about trying to stop what you are going to do anyway.
addison4

Postby Dustdevil » Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:53 pm

addison4 wrote: The cops at BM are there to keep you safe; that's the bottom line. It's not about trying to stop what you are going to do anyway.

I really hope you don't believe that.
Those who think they can and those who think they can't are both right.
Dustdevil

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: Brain Freeze / Got Stickers Camp

Postby addison4 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:26 pm

I do believe that. BM is generally an ethical and lawful place. Cops are officers of the law, and they follow the due process of the law. If you follow the law in good faith they are there for your benefit.

Those of you who do illegal things better understand how to use the legal system to protect yourselves btw. Its the only thing that is going to allow you to go do them successfully. Thank goodness that if you don't hurt other people you can generally find a legal defense.

I think you should BUILD THIS UNCLE SAM CAR, and do extensive research about convictions and under-cover stings on the Playa. Then use it as a tool for education: what flies at Burning Man legally, what doesn't fly, and most importantly HOW PEOPLE REALLY GET HURT AT BURNING MAN. The car could be a parody of the police too. People only fear what they don't understand, and if they know what the cops are there to do, we can all get along better.
Register with "A 1776 Masquerade":
https://spreadsheets.google.com/spreadsheet/viewform?formkey=dEhqOU5LVUp2MVFXaXBPMmtOXy1SZXc6MA
addison4

Postby Dustdevil » Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:40 am

addison4 wrote:I do believe that. BM is generally an ethical and lawful place. Cops are officers of the law, and they follow the due process of the law.
If they follow the due process of the law, why do the majority of citations they write get over turned when those who received said citations take their time to go to court and fight the charges?

Those of you who do illegal things better understand how to use the legal system to protect yourselves btw. Its the only thing that is going to allow you to go do them successfully.

That statement doesn't make a lot of sense, but I believe I understand the message you are attempting to convey.

I think you should BUILD THIS UNCLE SAM CAR, and do extensive research about convictions and under-cover stings on the Playa.

I believe the OP was saying that such a car exists. It does!

PLease explain how they are insuring the safety of the participants by issuing a citation for unsafe use of a vehicle when the operator simply discharged his flame effects device. It was discharged on the open Playa and the vehicle was certified for use with a close proximity audience. (No perimeter required.) The operator of the vehicle knew he was operating in a safe manner as prescribed by the Fire Art Safety Team. The operator startled the officer and this was his retaliation. The artist pleaded not guilt in Federal Court. They offered to reduce the fine from $500 down to $75 and change the citation to littering the Playa. He called BS on that and is taking the case all the way. By any interpretation of the Event stipulations he was not guilty of anything, why then should he plead guilty?

I can cite countless cases of personal rights being stepped on at the Event. If all the officers were acting in accordance with due process, the LLC wouldn't print and distribute forms to fill out when you are involved with law enforcement or you witness something that you feel may not be proper?
I for one can do without big brother protecting me in that fashion.

I certainly don't mean to imply that all law enforcement behaves this way. I have also witnessed officers interact with participants and used more restraint than I would have. In fact I believe that the majority of the officers behave properly, but it only takes a few bad apples......
I also agree that if you are stupid enough to use drugs or accept offers for drugs from strangers, you will possibly get what you deserve.

Those who think they can and those who think they can't are both right.
Dustdevil

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: Brain Freeze / Got Stickers Camp

Postby addison4 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 3:09 am

Much truth in the problems of law enforcement as a whole.

On the flip-side I have had BM officers go out of their way to be helpful and to deal with real safety problems. With all these drunk, stoned people out there we need intervention when things are obviously dangerous. While 99% of situations can be fixed by burners themselves. Every year there are a bunch of those 1% of situations.

I'm certain that the Rangers and BM are always adjusting their policies to work with both the local authorities and Burner expectations.

Authority is going to exist regardless. It may be undercover cops, the Rangers, uniformed police, or frat boys with machetes; it is going to exist.

The BM triumph is that we have a tremendous amount of freedom at BM, AND we have safety and responsibility. It is a group effort, and all of our authority figures are a part of it too. Basically BM as a whole is an ethical place that allows all this great stuff to occur in one place.
https://spreadsheets.google.com/spreadsheet/viewform?formkey=dEhqOU5LVUp2MVFXaXBPMmtOXy1SZXc6MA
addison4

Postby gyre » Thu Mar 17, 2011 6:28 am

This is from a travel guide and obviously not advice for this country.

HOW TO PASS A BRIBE

1. If you are hassled by an official, be friendly, but aloof.
Do not show concern or act surly. Remain calm and good-natured. Try to determine if there is an actual problem or if the official is seeking some additional, unofficial compensation.

2. Never blatantly offer a bribe.
If you have misinterpreted the official's intentions, you may get yourself in additional trouble by overtly offering a bribe.

3. If you are accused of an infraction, ask to pay a fine on the spot.
Say that you would rather not deal with the mail or go to another location, citing your fear that the payment will get lost. Mention that you want to make sure the money gets to the proper person.

4. Try to speak to and deal with only one official.
Speak to the person who acts as though he/she is in charge. If you offer money to a junior officer while a superior is present, the superior may demand more.

5. Offer to make a "donation" to the official's organization.
Say that you would like to pay for gas, uniforms, car repairs, expenses, or other needs.

6. If you do not have cash, be prepared to offer goods instead.
Watches, cameras, and other electronics are often accepted as bribes. You might consider offering goods instead of cash even if you have the money, particularly if the "problem" concerns these goods. If, for example, a customs official tells you that you are transporting too many bottles of liquor, you might speed your trip and lighten your load by offering some of the items in dispute to the official.
gyre

Postby addison4 » Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:20 pm

I'm guessing if the cops won't take the free cocaine you offer them to ride in their car, then the odds of them taking a bribe is pretty low too. 8)
addison4

Previous

Return to Experiences at Burning Man