Burning Man versus Reading Festival....UK/US comparison

Share your pictures and video. Tell us about the sights, sounds, and scents, as well as the rumors and truths found at Burning Man.

Burning Man versus Reading Festival....UK/US comparison

Postby jacksavage » Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:04 am

some musings about the differences and similarities between americans and brits, illustrated by two very different festivals. hope you enjoy it, would love to hear your feedback.

http://armedsnorkeling.wordpress.com/20 ... -festival/
jacksavage

Postby Isotopia » Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:23 pm

Post of the Week.
Isotopia

Postby Elderberry » Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:38 pm

Definitely a good read.

JK
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
Elderberry

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby TomServo » Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:54 pm

Reading festival sounds alot like Libertatia...or the drunken house parties we had in West Oakland...not necessarily bad!..since the cops liked to stay out of West Oakland. Either way, loved your piece!
anything worth doing is worth overdoing..
TomServo

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: BloodBath&Beyond

Postby Isotopia » Fri Jan 07, 2011 1:48 pm

This reading Festival sounds a lot like Glastonbury when I went there representing BM.

Great music but an epic shit hole of pissed soaked mud, mayhem and drunken stupidity (verses BM style inspired jackassery.)

The worst memory I took home was seeing the pedestrian pathways choked with trash when the organizers had made sure to place rubbish bins every 20 yards or so. People would throw their uneaten food, trash, bottles, cans, etc. on the ground three feet from a rubbish can. I was astonished.

Seriously maddening to watch and the ultimate expression of consumerism.
Isotopia

Postby Simon of the Playa » Fri Jan 07, 2011 1:50 pm

Isotopia wrote:Post of the Week.

i know, i thought so too, i even posted it to Facebook... :twisted:
fuck you, it's magic

NO SLEEP TIL GERLACH

A gift for the Playa

THIS YEARS POSTERS

2015 posters
Simon of the Playa

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Postby mudpuppy000 » Sat Jan 08, 2011 10:55 am

Reading sounds like an extreme version of the big outdoor concerts I've been to here in the US. Huge number of assholes at those things. That might be a better comparison if you're trying to compare americans vs brits.
Orphan Endorphin Camp
Micro/Homebrew - Infused Vodkas - Magic Goats
http://orphanendorphin.com/
mudpuppy000

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Orphan Endorphin

Postby dj_john69 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 3:20 pm

Cool story but the i think he should have compared Reading to Coachella even though Coachella doesn't get rowdy. Coachella is 3 day campout with bands...kinda like Reading. Oh well.
Fuck you, fuck you...you're cool, fuck you !!
dj_john69

Camp Name: Root Society & Apex

Postby Elderberry » Tue Jan 11, 2011 6:13 pm

dj_john69 wrote:Cool story but the i think he should have compared Reading to Coachella even though Coachella doesn't get rowdy. Coachella is 3 day campout with bands...kinda like Reading. Oh well.

I'm guessing it's because he's a Brit and has never attended the Coachella festival.

JK
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
Elderberry

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby PavementBlues » Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:05 pm

"Sometimes I’ve felt like maybe Americans are smug about their profound sense of self-awareness, but they’re really not. We might cynically believe that Burning Man is simply a chance to get fucked up in the desert and play out a mid-life crisis in good company. But the truth is, even if it is, they don’t realise it and do it in good faith."

Quote of the day from the post of the day!
I volunteered at Burning Man and all I got was this stupid superiority complex.
PavementBlues

Postby LindseyRaeFace » Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:58 pm

"In actual fact, we end up at the same place, but we get there in a different way. in both cases, we’re going away for the weekend and getting trashed, but in doing so the Americans are finding themselves and the Brits are losing themselves."
LindseyRaeFace

Postby Lahmpowder » Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:27 am

Hello

Just joined this forum because me and a few mates are planning on going to BM in 2012 and this thread caught my eye. Now I am a bit of a festival lover and average atleast 4 festivals a year and from reading this persons post I am wondering if they have deliberately compared what is probably your best festival with our worst festival. To give you a short rundown on what Reading is, its a 3 day concert for people of around 14-19 who have just got their test results or just want to get away from the parents for a weekend. And as a result chaos usually ensures.

I remember I got a day ticket there a couple of years back to see Radiohead and it was bloody horrible. As soon as i walked through the gate someone kicked a bottle at me and laughed, the whole place was covered in litter, everybody looked miserable and if there wasn't a band on your only option was to sit around a camp site and wait for something to happen. Then at the end of evening everybody would burn strangers tents and generally act like twats. To this day it is definatly the worst festival you could possibly attend in the UK. Lots of horrible people, listening to really horrible music, in a really horrible field next to Reading town centre.

I think a better comparison to the difference in festival communities could be better explained if it was compared to something like Glastonbury or something alot smaller like Glade (which apparently is very much inspired by BM).

I'll stop this rant now before you get bored of me already by saying, please don't think all UK festivals are like Reading. We do love an excuse to get wasted in Britain but we also know how to run makeshift communities... Afterall we have been more successful at it :P :wink:
Lahmpowder

Postby Ugly Dougly » Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:08 am

You can find horrible music at Burning Man, or bring it yourself.

This is as fruitful IMHO as comparing Burning Man with the Rainbow Gathering and assuming that they point out the difference between Nevada and Colorado culture.
Ugly Dougly

Return to Experiences at Burning Man