never been to BRC but.......

Share your pictures and video. Tell us about the sights, sounds, and scents, as well as the rumors and truths found at Burning Man.

never been to BRC but.......

Postby moonstonerick » Thu Dec 23, 2010 1:32 pm

........ I've been checking out BM videos and related sites throughout cyber space. I can feel the energy just watching, I can't imagine the rush it would be to be there in person. I can hardly wait to get there.

I do have some questions what about tickets. I was wondering if the event ever sells out, and can you buy tickets at the gate by just showing up?

What about violence and theft ? I know that nowhere is perfectly safe,but has anyone had bad experiances with these problems.
moonstonerick

Postby BAS » Thu Dec 23, 2010 2:24 pm

I believe that tickets are no longer officially sold at the gate, and Burning Man was at least close to the population limit for the BLM permit a few years back. Your safest bet is get a ticket ahead of time, rather than show up at the gate and hope for someone to sell you a ticket.
"Nothing is withheld from us which we have conceived to do.
Do things that have never been done."
--Russell Kirsch
BAS

Burning Since: 2006

Postby AntiM » Thu Dec 23, 2010 4:57 pm

They do sell tickets at the gate, the year they did not was problematic. However, they are a great deal more expensive. Buy beforehand is the best bet.

Theft happens, lock your valuables up, or leave them home. Some violence, but surprisingly little given the size of the event.
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby neon tetra » Thu Dec 23, 2010 6:20 pm

Will call might be a few bucks cheaper, but it'll take you a few extra hours to get in. We did that this year for the 1st time, and will never do it again.
neon tetra

Postby Oso » Thu Dec 23, 2010 10:21 pm

If you know you're gonna go, then be online to buy tickets about 3 seconds after they go on sale Jan. 19 - best price and best way to lock in your commitment.
Home is not where you live but where they understand you.
Oso

preparation

Postby uncle sticky » Tue Dec 28, 2010 9:45 pm

Given how much preparation is needed to be out there, unless you have a camp of well-prepared people who will welcome you and help you out, doing the last minute decision is not really going to work. Decide that you're going now, and start picking up camp gear, setting it up, and buy your ticket as soon as it goes on sale. If things blow up and you can't go, you can always sell them to another late minute burner who does have a home set up.
The handbasket to hell is leaving. Hop in world!
uncle sticky

Postby bluesbob » Wed Dec 29, 2010 5:01 am

Tickets are sold at the gate. One of the ladies I brought with me bought one there. But it was $360, much better to buy them sooner.

Yes there is a some theft. Violence can happen also. I believe this problem escalated when they started banning guns from Burning Man.
bluesbob

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: AV

Postby The CO » Wed Dec 29, 2010 11:03 am

bluesbob wrote:I believe this problem escalated when they started banning guns from Burning Man.

I'll go ahead and say you are wrong on that one. There was theft and violence out there even when there were fully armed disgruntled postal workers & the drive by shooting range. "Banning" guns had no effect on increasing that or decreasing the number of firearms at the event, just the amount that you see.
M*A*S*H 4207th: An army of fun.
I don't care what the borg says: feather-wearers will NOT be served in Rosie's Bar.
Yes, I am the arbiter of doing it right or wrong. Guess which one you are!
The CO

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: M*A*S*H 4207th/404: Error

Postby Savannah » Wed Dec 29, 2010 1:16 pm

What about violence and theft ? I know that nowhere is perfectly safe,but has anyone had bad experiances with these problems.

I've never had anything stolen, but I my campmate has. Theft does occur, usually on the spur of the moment when tempting items are left out flapping in the breeze, or right inside unlocked car doors, so lock up valuables out of sight in your vehicle, keep the key on you securely or well-hidden in camp, and consider a spare, as locksmiths are expensive.

Lock your bike (at minimum, lock it to itself) and drag it out of the way, as drunks will mistake it for their own, or be really tired and a mile from home and just "borrow" the easiest one to steal. I think a sizeable number of the bikes left on the playa every year were borrowed and then abandoned in embarrassment when people sobered up.

It's the same measures you would want to take in any town of the same size.

Violence seems infrequent, to me. I literally haven't seen any, though I know others have. I get the impression that domestic violence is the biggest risk--couples already on the edge, tested by the challenging environment, drugs and temptation. I see more threatening behavior from citizens in my own reasonably low crime hometown than I do in the desert.

It's not lawless, mind you, despite the nude people and the open containers--there are cops and Rangers, and people look out for each other as well. But it's also a certain amount of self-selection for who attends. These are not bored young men on a Friday, looking for a fight. These are people who have worked hard all year to get to the desert & be happy, and you really see it on most every face when you're there.
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby moonstonerick » Mon Jan 17, 2011 3:58 pm

Savannah wrote:

These are people who have worked hard all year to get to the desert & be happy, and you really see it on most every face when you're there.

What about the hippies ???? JK ........LMAO
waiting to get devirginized
moonstonerick

Postby Oso » Mon Jan 17, 2011 5:07 pm

Hippies happy too.
Oso

Postby theCryptofishist » Mon Jan 17, 2011 6:41 pm

It doesn't take much to make a hippie happy.

Except for the fact that they are such whiny buggers that they're never happy.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby Sic Pup » Mon Jan 17, 2011 7:18 pm

"Enjoy every sandwich" - W. Zevon
Sic Pup

Postby sputnik » Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:18 pm

Violence? Yeah, I've experienced it. DO NOT WEAR A FULL BODY BUNNY SUIT!
It's going to be alright.
sputnik

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Ubercarney

Postby theCryptofishist » Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:01 pm

sputnik wrote:Violence? Yeah, I've experienced it. DO NOT WEAR A FULL BODY BUNNY SUIT!

Not even for the Billion Bunny March?
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby Oso » Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:03 am

Well Sic Pup, if even a fine country like Mal-aysia doesn't like hippies, then that's gotta tell ya something.
The nerve of them hippies and their indecent clothes.
Oso

Postby erbal » Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:27 am

I've not seen any violence, however this year I'll be wearing a full body day-glo dinosaur suit, so who knows what will happen!!
erbal

Postby moonstonerick » Tue Jan 18, 2011 4:15 pm

Sic Pup wrote:Image

For Real????
waiting to get devirginized
moonstonerick

Postby Ugly Dougly » Tue Jan 18, 2011 4:18 pm

That's a Malaysian:

Please to visit PAGE TWO.
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Postby Rice » Tue Jan 18, 2011 4:26 pm

neon tetra wrote:Will call might be a few bucks cheaper, but it'll take you a few extra hours to get in. We did that this year for the 1st time, and will never do it again.

I have used will call the last three years and have at most had to wait a half-hour. Using will call saves you the worry of losing your ticket on the way (or worse, having it "confiscated" as you cross the border into the US).

Experiences may vary and this is just my experience.

I know people who have been the victims of theft the four years I have attended. In all cases, the item(s) stolen were left out in the open...

Violence is no greater in BRC than any city of comparable size, some people are going to behave that way no matter where they are.

Be sure to read the survival guide cover-to-cover: http://www.burningman.com/preparation/event_survival/

Check out the regional listings to see if there are other burners in your area. [ http://regionals.burningman.com/na_index.html ] Nothing like experience to guide you on your journey.

See ya on the playa!

Love Rice.
Rice

Burning Since: 2007

Postby Gizmo » Tue Jan 18, 2011 7:32 pm

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FuBykOvE71c[/youtube]

This is the Georgia Hippie Immigration Policy.
Gizmo

Return to Experiences at Burning Man