What is dubstep?

Share your pictures and video. Tell us about the sights, sounds, and scents, as well as the rumors and truths found at Burning Man.

Postby Simon of the Playa » Thu Apr 07, 2011 5:59 pm

from the Urban Dictionary:

2. Dubstep 1287 up, 345 down

A genre which is filthier than fingering your sister and finding your Dad's wedding ring...

"I prefer Dubstep over sex"
fuck you, it's magic

Less Hanky, More Panky™

A gift for the Playa

THIS YEARS POSTERS

2015 posters
Simon of the Playa

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Postby hookahdude » Thu Apr 07, 2011 7:09 pm

Simon of the Playa wrote:from the Urban Dictionary:

A genre which is filthier than fingering your sister and finding your Dad's wedding ring...

I am not sure if I am repulsed or oddly fascinated by that...

Is that worrisome?
Hookah Dude
"In war-time the word patriotism means suppression of truth” - Siegfried Sassoon
I AM AN ASSHAT!!!
(Shooting for 2012 with my better half!)
hookahdude

Postby theCryptofishist » Fri Apr 08, 2011 8:59 am

hookahdude wrote:
Simon of the Playa wrote:from the Urban Dictionary:

I am not sure if I am repulsed or oddly fascinated by that...

Is that worrisome?

Taking Urban Dictionary seriously always results in a lack of credibility...
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby Lowz » Fri Apr 08, 2011 9:43 am

please give me the bucket ..
John Clod
For the People
Suarez principle #23 " The Whims of The President and Chairman are final."
I feel every year fantastic, shitty and great days all.
Lowz

Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Club Neu Verboten

Postby lazerfox » Fri Apr 08, 2011 9:55 am

Dolomite wrote:Dubstep is the most divisive Electronic Dance Music (EDM) I've ever seen. People either love it's simplicity and spaced out tempo, or they can't stand it.

EDM genre purists will lament that what most people call 'dubstep' these days is a faint shadow of it's origins where it was a less minimal sound and was absent of the now prevalent "wobble" or "saw". The minimal sounding "Wahwahwahwah" infused step that's popular now is sometimes called "Brostep" by people who dislike it, who claim that its only the dudes who are on the floor while it's being played.

glad to know I'm breaking stereotypes one dance at a time :wink:
lazerfox

Dub-Step?....Yeah we can do that...

Postby Simon of the Playa » Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:01 am

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RS_526LuW50[/youtube]
fuck you, it's magic

Less Hanky, More Panky™

A gift for the Playa

THIS YEARS POSTERS

2015 posters
Simon of the Playa

Postby lazerfox » Fri Apr 08, 2011 11:36 am

thank you for the goose bumps SOP
lazerfox

Postby froyo » Fri Apr 08, 2011 1:37 pm

hookahdude wrote:Not quite - I was fucking HIIIIIGH when I had my wisdom teeth removed... Then they gave me some really heavy shit to deal with the pain - we is stooooned immaculate... So, bad comparison really..

If I had more wisdom teeth I'd get them pulled again for the quality of drugs I got... :P

your absolutely right, dubstep, like dentistry, goes better with drugs.

some have argued that k is the new e, but the modern bleeding edge hippiestepperdubsterburner knows that L is the new k, G is the new e, and 2t-c-special-G is the new PCP.

but personally, i recommend anhydrous ether, particularly if you featherleather
froyo

Postby Simon of the Playa » Fri Apr 08, 2011 1:43 pm

Nitrous....it even makes Polka sound like dub-step...
fuck you, it's magic

Less Hanky, More Panky™

A gift for the Playa

THIS YEARS POSTERS

2015 posters
Simon of the Playa

Postby lazerfox » Fri Apr 08, 2011 1:46 pm

am I one of the only people who likes EDM with or without substances?
lazerfox

Postby froyo » Fri Apr 08, 2011 1:50 pm

and SOP, if ur gonna call Skrillex dubstep, check Vibesquad killin it at root society:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KxU0DzqTjAI[/youtube]

I wouldnt call what he does dubstep either, but you probly would
froyo

Postby lazerfox » Fri Apr 08, 2011 1:56 pm

froyo wrote:and SOP, if ur gonna call Skrillex dubstep

You do realize that Skrillex himself tags his songs as dubstep, right?
lazerfox

Postby froyo » Fri Apr 08, 2011 2:05 pm

lazerfox wrote:You do realize that Skrillex himself tags his songs as dubstep, right?

he doesnt really call his own music anything. the popular media press calls it dubstep, cause thats the buzz genre at the moment, but any discerning edm listener would consider it more electrohouse.

vibesquads sound is more glitch-hop, but w/e
froyo

Postby EspressoDude » Fri Apr 08, 2011 2:17 pm

froyo wrote:
hookahdude wrote:Not quite - I was fucking HIIIIIGH when I had my wisdom teeth removed... Then they gave me some really heavy shit to deal with the pain - we is stooooned immaculate... So, bad comparison really..

If I had more wisdom teeth I'd get them pulled again for the quality of drugs I got... :P

your absolutely right, dubstep, like dentistry, goes better with drugs.

some have argued that k is the new e, but the modern bleeding edge hippiestepperdubsterburner knows that L is the new k, G is the new e, and 2t-c-special-G is the new PCP.

but personally, i recommend anhydrous ether, particularly if you featherleather

especially if the dj snorts about 10 grams of PCP about 10 minutes before they turn on the audio feed...and lay there like a tranquilized horse about to get a rectal resection.
Is 4 shots enuff? no foo-foo drinks; just naked Espresso
Tactical Espresso Service http://home.comcast.net/~espressocamp/
Field Artillery Tractor
FOGBANK, GOD OF HELLFIRE
BLACK ROCK f/x Trojan Horse,Anubis,2014Temple
burn shit and blow shit up
EspressoDude

Postby lazerfox » Fri Apr 08, 2011 2:24 pm

check out some of the tags from his official youtube account videos (i.e.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CpEOErRV-u4 & http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fq-geJ9UwG4)

or the flyers for his June shows (DubNation)
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=177256028993287&set=a.138802372838653.43877.119702488081975&theater

I agree that he is more than just dubstep and some of his tracks are indeed electrohouse (a genre which I also enjoy) but saying the media alone "calls it dubstep" is IMHO rather narrow minded.

Edit to fix grammatical error
lazerfox

Postby froyo » Fri Apr 08, 2011 2:37 pm

Fine, I give you permission to call Skrillex dubstep cause otherwise im gonna be the elitist old-timer asshole saying something like:

nobody i hang out with considers that real dubstep, or
back when i got into dubstep it was more authentic, or
im tired of going to shows and feeling like the creeper staring at 16-yo girls who think its appropriate to run around in their underwear as long as its dayglow and they have legwarmers

/rant

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bh_1NWbeA7Y[/youtube]
froyo

Postby Dolomite » Fri Apr 08, 2011 2:42 pm

froyo wrote:Fine, I give you permission to call Skrillex dubstep cause otherwise im gonna be the elitist old-timer asshole saying something like:

nobody i hang out with considers that real dubstep, or
back when i got into dubstep it was more authentic, or
im tired of going to shows and feeling like the creeper staring at 16-yo girls who think its appropriate to run around in their underwear as long as its dayglow and they have legwarmers

I stopped going to most local underground shows in my area because of the weird coincidence of increasing dubstep and underdressed teens on drugs.

Edit: seriously, why does this board post messages with the defaults for html and bbcode checked to be disabled? I imagine I can change it in my user profile, but why would I ever want them disabled?
Dolomite

Postby JStep » Fri Apr 08, 2011 2:47 pm

Bassnectar: Dubstep?

I think it's more Booty Bass than Dubstep.

Talk amongst yourselves...
~JStep
Nebraska Regional Contact
Tallgrass Burners - The Omaha and Nebraska Area Burning Man Regional Group
http://www.tallgrassburners.com
Email: nebraska [at] burningman.com
JStep

Burning Since: 2011

Postby lazerfox » Fri Apr 08, 2011 2:57 pm

froyo
Fortunately I do not need permission to be open minded but thanks for the sentiment.
I don't consider your comments to sound elitist; they sound more along the lines of others who have a hipster attitude about things that are labeled "cool" or "commercial" and try very hard not to be aligned with the norm but aren't hipsters themselves.

Just try to enjoy life and all the goods it has regardless of what they are called.

BTW as a mother I agree that the 16-yo girls have no need to be running around in their underwear and legwarmers even if it is dayglow but it is none of my business (unless of course someone tries to take advantage of the situation)

Jstep sorry but Bassnectar is my only exception to the without substances rule. I just can't get into his beats without it.
lazerfox

Postby Dolomite » Fri Apr 08, 2011 3:16 pm

lazerfox wrote:BTW as a mother I agree that the 16-yo girls have no need to be running around in their underwear and legwarmers even if it is dayglow but it is none of my business (unless of course someone tries to take advantage of the situation)

Jstep sorry but Bassnectar is my only exception to the without substances rule. I just can't get into his beats without it.

Since I'm in my 30s, it feels like being present at events like that and not doing anything is providing consent for it to happen somehow, makes me uncomfortable.

I don't listen to a lot of Bassnectar but heard this song once upon a time. It's hard to describe (not dubstep, not anything else in particular), anyways, it's 100% awesome:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oX8G16c4bws[/youtube]
Dolomite

Postby froyo » Fri Apr 08, 2011 3:36 pm

Since I'm in my 30s, it feels like being present at events like that and not doing anything is providing consent for it to happen somehow, makes me uncomfortable.

I agree wholeheartedly. For the most part its the crowd that leads me to disdain increasingly mainstream djs and producers more so than their music quality and style.

I think it's more Booty Bass than Dubstep.

wheres the 4-2-tha-floor? lets just call it all bass music and be done with it

Fortunately I do not need permission to be open minded but thanks for the sentiment.
I don't consider your comments to sound elitist; they sound more along the lines of others who have a hipster attitude about things that are labeled "cool" or "commercial" and try very hard not to be aligned with the norm but aren't hipsters themselves.

Lazerfox, unfortunately im not giving you permission to be open minded, im giving you permission to be sloppy about your genre labeling.

thanks for the dharma lesson, ill keep that in mind while i work hard to be as hip as you!
froyo

Postby lazerfox » Fri Apr 08, 2011 3:52 pm

Aww froyo...sorry it was tough for you to not sound elitist.
You do get an A for effort though.

The funniest part to me was as I read your dharma statement this is the image that came to mind :lol:
lazerfox

Postby lazerfox » Fri Apr 08, 2011 3:57 pm

Dolomite since I was once a 16 yo girl and interacted with many of them on a daily basis I am free of any crutch that might make me feel guilt over the way their parents raised them

And agreed, that chilled out song is indeed 100% awesome
lazerfox

Postby lazerfox » Fri Apr 08, 2011 3:58 pm

Dolomite Forgot to say "Thank you for posting it"!
lazerfox

Postby Ugly Dougly » Fri Apr 08, 2011 4:02 pm

Hmmmm....

Experimental dentistry camp....

Stop giving me ideas.
Ugly Dougly

Postby froyo » Fri Apr 08, 2011 4:22 pm

lazerfox wrote:Aww froyo...sorry it was tough for you to not sound elitist.
You do get an A for effort though.

aww, thanks teach! do you think one day i can learn to burn as good as you?

if you feel you need substances to get down to bassnectars beats, then clearly youre as open-minded towards him as i am to skrillex :)

if u dig that track tho, check out some of eskmos work:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IddDWBpkzYg[/youtube]
froyo

Postby lazerfox » Fri Apr 08, 2011 4:34 pm

Thanks for fixing your formatting :)

I'm definitely not a burner. Have yet to earn that name but I'm working on it for sure. So there is nothing you can learn from me on that frontier (Sorry :()

And also thanks for seeing I'm open minded enough to listen to him in various ways so I may find one that allows me to see what others do.

Oh and thanks for posting another great song! I have been fond of Eskmo for a little while and find his music to be entrancing :D
lazerfox

Postby lazerfox » Fri Apr 08, 2011 4:40 pm

Ugly Dougly wrote:Hmmmm....

Experimental dentistry camp....

Stop giving me ideas.

"Little Shop of Horrors"?
lazerfox

Postby Dolomite » Fri Apr 08, 2011 5:02 pm

froyo wrote:I agree wholeheartedly. For the most part its the crowd that leads me to disdain increasingly mainstream djs and producers more so than their music quality and style.

Lazerfox, unfortunately im not giving you permission to be open minded, im giving you permission to be sloppy about your genre labeling.

Even 4 years ago, the parties weren't populated with so many teens in underwear. I am still a little baffled by this change.

DJs love to discuss genres. I've steered so clear anything labeled dubstep, I've missed some really interesting tunes I would have called downtempo. There's a local dubstep dj/purist who put out a great dubstep demo with an MC, and it doesn't have that minimal wobble bull in it. It was eye opening to me to learn that dubstep isn't defined by just wahwahwahwah dunk tap, since we use genre names to provide a description of the music.

lazerfox wrote:Dolomite since I was once a 16 yo girl and interacted with many of them on a daily basis I am free of any crutch that might make me feel guilt over the way their parents raised them

And agreed, that chilled out song is indeed 100% awesome

glad you liked it. My comment about the teens on drugs isn't driven by guilt, but rather a worry that they're putting themselves at risk for misconduct by others.
Dolomite

Postby lazerfox » Fri Apr 08, 2011 5:14 pm

Dolomite you are my favorite person today.

Let me count the ways:
-"dubstep isn't defined by just wahwahwahwah dunk tap."
That was my original point all along to Froyo but unfortunately he got hung up on my "open minded" statement.

-"There's a local dubstep dj/purist who put out a great dubstep demo with an MC, and it doesn't have that minimal wobble bull in it."
Can you share who the artist is? I would love to hear it

-"My comment about the teens on drugs isn't driven by guilt, but rather a worry that they're putting themselves at risk for misconduct by others."
Most people I've encountered at said events share that feeling and wouldn't stand for it if misconduct did occur.
lazerfox

PreviousNext

Return to Experiences at Burning Man