How clean do you stay on the playa?

Share your pictures and video. Tell us about the sights, sounds, and scents, as well as the rumors and truths found at Burning Man.

How do you keep clean on the playa?

Au Naturale - nothing related to hygiene the whole week
7%
I only use baby wipes every now and then
43%
I need a shower every day, I can't stand the feeling of playa build up on my skin and hair! Yuck!
39%
Does the water truck count?
10%

Total votes : 99

Postby Irreverent Moniker » Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:34 am

Walk tall, kick ass, learn to speak Arabic, love music and never forget you come from a long line of truth seekers, lovers and warriors.
Irreverent Moniker

Postby illy dilly » Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:37 am

For girls hair we have a chair, a table, a spray bottle and two plastic tubs.
We do it sorta like at a hair salon. One girl sits there and gets her hair washed. Then switch. The first tub is for cleaning and gets really dirty! The second tub is for rinsing.
Then the first tub is emptied, and becomes the rinsing tub for the next person. By using a spary bottle the amount of water used can be greatly reduced.

For other body parts. A wash cloth, spray bottle, small/medium towel, soap.
Spray the dirty area, then get the wash cloth really soapy and wet. Wipe(scrub if necessary) the soapy wash cloth on the dirty area, then spray some more and wipe with towel.
Why don't ya stick your head in that hole and find out? ~piehole
Plan for the worst, expect the best. Make the most out of it under any conditions. If you cannot do that you will never enjoy yourself. ~CrispyDave
illy dilly

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Gnome Dome

Postby Jax Dee » Mon Jun 13, 2011 9:07 pm

I stay pretty clean and feel fresh the whole week without showers. I use unscented baby wipes twice a day all over. Then moisterize with an alpha-hydroxy acid containing one to neutralize the alkali. I brushed my hair out every night to get the tangles and dust out, then used dry shampoo every morning before doing my hair for the day. I used lavendar febreze on the stinky clothes. My camp mates were all jokingly disgusted with how fresh and clean I looked and smelled every day. They are of the mind to just be dirty all week :D
Jax Dee

Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Dye With Dignity

it's a gift economy.

Postby Simon of the Playa » Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:35 am

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uN0yI-ambNY[/youtube]

oh....shit, i must be stoned....i thought this was a drug thread.
breathe deep, the playa is the dust of your ancestors

A gift for the Playa
Simon of the Playa

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Re: How clean do you stay on the playa?

Postby tattoogoddess » Sat Jun 23, 2012 5:57 pm

sorry to bump this but did not want to make a new thread.

Can you burn baby wipes once they have dried out? I tend to get pretty narly if i dont clean off every day or hell 2 times a day. I don't like being stinky at all. Puts me in a funk ( no pun). So I wont be doing to much showering but will get a few. so baby wipes will be the go to. I have a ton of them with me. so burn or not?
maladroit- Burning Man is like a second job, except you pay to work there.
Burning Man is just the pre party for exodus! - fellow burner during exodus
http://burnon.wix.com/bloodbathandbeyond
tattoogoddess

Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: bloodbath and beyond

Postby trilobyte » Sat Jun 23, 2012 6:20 pm

From the Survival Guide...
Burn only clean untreated wood or paper and nothing oversized that will spill ash or burning debris onto the playa.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby theCryptofishist » Sat Jun 23, 2012 7:06 pm

So, babywipes are treated (with that weird soapy stuff that's they are infused with)? And they are cotton... So the best thing is to save them (they will dry out) and throw them away when you get back to the Sands.

At least that's what I infer from Trilo's quote.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby Ano » Sat Jun 23, 2012 8:02 pm

tattoogoddess wrote:sorry to bump this but did not want to make a new thread.

Can you burn baby wipes once they have dried out? I tend to get pretty narly if i dont clean off every day or hell 2 times a day. I don't like being stinky at all. Puts me in a funk ( no pun). So I wont be doing to much showering but will get a few. so baby wipes will be the go to. I have a ton of them with me. so burn or not?

Just a note - you'd be surprised how hard it is to smell bad or feel "dirty" out there. I'm a pretty big clean-guy, I like my showers in the default, warm and long. However, it's so dry out there that... well, you don't really sweat, beyond when you cover yourself up in your tent at night to warm up or if you go out dancing all night in warm-ish clothes. That coating of dust you end up earning after a day or two does wonders in making you feel pretty okay about the whole thing. I even had the option of taking a shower with someone elses water without having to worry about anything, and I declined it because I didn't see much of a point.. I also loved how badass my hair looked in the dust.

I ended up in the human carcass wash late in the week, though, I'm not sure how, and while I definitely felt cleaner after the whole deal (and a bit dirtier in some ways...), I didn't really need it. Weird how that works.

I have to tell you, though, that first warm shower back at my house? Abso-fucking-lutely beyond divine.
Ano

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: ???

Postby Eric » Sat Jun 23, 2012 8:06 pm

Ano wrote:I have to tell you, though, that first warm shower back at my house? Abso-fucking-lutely beyond divine.

Agreed. I haven't showered on the playa since 2007 (he was cute & needed help getting his back washed), but I take probably my longest shower of the whole year when we hit the hotel in Reno. I'm normally a 15 minute max shower guy, but that first one... damn. 30-45 minutes, then again before bed...
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

Regarding Ticket Scalpers and Scammers

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
BRC Weekly
Eric

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby tattoogoddess » Sat Jun 23, 2012 9:03 pm

I'm more worried about my naughty bits staying fresh and my boobies lol tmi? I'm sensitive to my smell? Some people don't smell at all in that region some do. All body chemistry. Make sense? The rest of me smells like nothing after a few days of not showering. But bigger people get that well yeah. You need showers everyday. yeah tmi.
Yeah was not sure what they are made of thought maybe part paper. I don't have a kid so unfamiliar territory.
maladroit- Burning Man is like a second job, except you pay to work there.
Burning Man is just the pre party for exodus! - fellow burner during exodus
http://burnon.wix.com/bloodbathandbeyond
tattoogoddess

Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: bloodbath and beyond

Postby Rice » Sat Jun 23, 2012 9:10 pm

tattoogoddess wrote:I'm more worried about my naughty bits staying fresh and my boobies lol tmi? I'm sensitive to my smell? Some people don't smell at all in that region some do. All body chemistry. Make sense? The rest of me smells like nothing after a few days of not showering. But bigger people get that well yeah. You need showers everyday. yeah tmi.
Yeah was not sure what they are made of thought maybe part paper. I don't have a kid so unfamiliar territory.

scentless baby wipes work pretty well.

My girlfriend uses a pump up garden sprayer to get clean. Tried it last burn and it worked quite well. (dont know exact mixture though)
Love Rice

Roach: "I feel like in this day and age, every girl should know how to build a flamethrower."
Rice

Burning Since: 2007

Postby Eric » Sat Jun 23, 2012 9:12 pm

I use a couple baby wipes on my face & my bits every day, and my hands when eating- just toss them into your "take home" trash when you're done. Not burnable, but not really going to add a ton to your garbage unless you use a ton. I go through maybe 1 1/2 tubs of them for the week.
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

Regarding Ticket Scalpers and Scammers

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
BRC Weekly
Eric

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby shykat » Sun Jun 24, 2012 12:48 am

Haul in enough water for one shower every day, useing a solar camping shower....haul the grey water back out with me....
I'm the one that has to die when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life, the way I want to ...Jimi Hendrix
shykat

Postby lucky420 » Sun Jun 24, 2012 7:44 am

Baby wipes and a spray bottle for the bod. I bring a big tub to wash my hair in and use a towel wicking system to get rid of the water. If I don't wash or rinse my hair out it will start to dread within a day or two, but that works too :mrgreen:
Oh my god, it's HUGE!
lucky420

Burning Since: I'm not sure
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Postby Simon of the Playa » Sun Jun 24, 2012 8:51 am

i sneak into gerlach every day where three vietnamese girls give me a happy finish sponge bath.

tmi?
breathe deep, the playa is the dust of your ancestors

A gift for the Playa
Simon of the Playa

Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Postby ranger magnum » Sun Jun 24, 2012 3:39 pm

trilobyte wrote:From the Survival Guide...
Burn only clean untreated wood or paper and nothing oversized that will spill ash or burning debris onto the playa.
[/quo

[edited by moderator: baby wipes are not considered burnables.]

Disagree. There is nothing toxic in babywipes. Everything made of paper is treated with something; its just not always toxic.

Treated wood generally means pressure treated wood and plywood, as both of these are treated with ingredients that may be toxic when burned.

Burn all the babywipes you want.
Drugs may take you down the road to nowhere, but at least its the scenic route.
ranger magnum

Camp Name: Camp Yonder/Ottoman Empire

Postby theCryptofishist » Sun Jun 24, 2012 3:47 pm

So, you're reading it as [untreated wood] and [paper], not [untreated][wood and paper].
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby trilobyte » Sun Jun 24, 2012 4:58 pm

Treated means more than just pressure-treated lumber.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby bluesbob » Mon Jun 25, 2012 1:41 pm

I usually baby wipe it everyday, but at least twice during the week I do a thorough wash. I just use a wash basin and do my hair, wash cloth to clean everything else. If there is a camp shower available I use it. Every Monday when I finally get home I'm a wreck. Love it.
"aw shucks.." - Eric
bluesbob

Camp Name: AV

Postby AntiM » Mon Jun 25, 2012 1:54 pm

Baby wipes and a garden sprayer. A hand held mister like the ones used in salons would suffice, plus there will be a village shower if things get really out of hand.

Without humidity, body funk is different. Even lady bits don't get as swampy. I can say this with a great deal of experience, having lived in both very humid and very dry climates. I do wear cotton underwear most of the time on the playa, just to wick away moisture and keep the dust out of the nooks and crannies. A matter of personal preference.

YMMV, of course.
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby bluesbob » Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:45 pm

I want to add that "clean" is relative. I left the playa one year and drove 1200 miles to a friends house in SoCal. All the way home I believed I was pretty clean. I got to my friend's home and he snapped a pic. He showed it to me. I looked like I had just rolled in the dust at the gate. Hey...everyone looked just like me when I left!
"aw shucks.." - Eric
bluesbob

Camp Name: AV

Postby wh..sh » Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:12 am

Jax Dee wrote:I stay pretty clean and feel fresh the whole week without showers. I use unscented baby wipes twice a day all over. Then moisterize with an alpha-hydroxy acid containing one to neutralize the alkali. I brushed my hair out every night to get the tangles and dust out, then used dry shampoo every morning before doing my hair for the day. I used lavendar febreze on the stinky clothes. My camp mates were all jokingly disgusted with how fresh and clean I looked and smelled every day. They are of the mind to just be dirty all week :D

Right!
There is nothing more surprising when some random stranger tells you that you smell great. Although, like bluesbob said, the standards are pretty low.
In my world there's only legible and more legible.

-Bob
wh..sh

Postby Dr. Pyro » Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:24 am

wh..sh wrote: the standards are pretty low.

Standards?
Dr. Pyro

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro

Postby Trishntek » Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:45 am

I swear by garden sprayers. We keep two or three loaded all the time and have spontaneous water fights which may or may not turn into communal cleansing opportunities. The sprayers are handy for BASIC fire extinguishers too.

It is surprising how playa dust seems to subdue odors much like talcum powder.

But BUT BUT!!! Don't sweat??? Are you kidding me? Everybody sweats! It just evaporates before you realize it. That evaporation is what keeps your body from hyperthermia! When your clothing is caked with salt, that is the remnant of sweat! Thus, why you need more than just water to keep hydrated.

Being a foot fetish kinda guy, I wash my feet with vinegar water, slather them with aloe vera and finish with cocoabutter lotion twice a day. Our camp offers this service for anyone who wishes and we even clean the inside of your footwear so your feet walk away happy!

One other thing which is associated with sweat: EYEWASH! If sweat runs down your forehead and into your eyes, with playa dust in the mix, IT HURTS! Keep some bottled contact lens cleaning solution handy for such occasions,,, it's pretty refreshing the rest of the time too!
RETROFROLIC, the place of Pink, Pain and Pleasure!
http://www.retrofrolic.com
Some call me Tnt,,,, works for me!
Trishntek

Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Retrofrolic!

Postby wh..sh » Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:52 am

Dr. Pyro wrote:
wh..sh wrote: the standards are pretty low.

Standards?

sorry, I take it back.
In my world there's only legible and more legible.

-Bob
wh..sh

Postby Drawingablank » Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:52 am

I just want to point out for any Birgins reading this that although any of the methods discussed in this thread will get you clean - there is no way to really stay clean on the playa (short of borrowing a space suit from NASA).

You can definitely get rid of the b.o., accumulated sunscreen, and other nastyness but within minutes you will have that patina of dust again.
Savannah: I don't know what it is, but no thread here escapes alive. You'll get 1 or 2 real answers at minimum, occasionally 10 or 12, and then we flog it until it's unrecognizable and you can't get your deposit back.

Yet Another Crappy Birgin Guide
Drawingablank

Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp

Postby lucky420 » Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:45 am

Im a dirty dirty bitch...

well my mind is anyways...beebop
Oh my god, it's HUGE!
lucky420

Burning Since: I'm not sure
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Postby Gonzo Frothwood » Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:07 pm

CLEAN!?! The crunchy bits fall off on day 4.
"There is nothing so over-estimated as a piece of ass, and nothing so under-estimated as a good and greasy shit." Boneman Johnson
Gonzo Frothwood

Postby ultratang7 » Wed Jul 04, 2012 8:27 am

Embrace the funk!

Ok, that WAS my motto, untill day 3 when my awesome niehbors graciously let me use their showering system. It was amazing, even if it really only got the dust off for a few minutes. My campmates, however, decided not to shower, and they seemed comfortable.
Did someone say Crisco-Twister???
ultratang7

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Camp D.O.A.

Postby Sail Man » Wed Jul 04, 2012 9:27 am

lucky420 wrote:Im a dirty dirty bitch...

well my mind is anyways...beebop

Excuse me Ma'am, your going to feel a small prick.

Algorithms never survive the first thirty seconds of patient contact
Sail Man

Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Kidsville: Delicious

PreviousNext

Return to Experiences at Burning Man