how many days?

Share your pictures and video. Tell us about the sights, sounds, and scents, as well as the rumors and truths found at Burning Man.

how long should the burning man festival be?

only a week-end: 1 day for the man, 1 for the temple
2%
stay at 7 days: it's perfect
43%
2 weeks: a week is too short for seeing all...
30%
Why should it have a end?????
25%

Total votes : 63

how many days?

Postby dubovitch » Mon Oct 04, 2010 2:31 am

In my mind, 7 days is too short to see everything.
But what do you think about it?
dubovitch

Postby gyre » Mon Oct 04, 2010 3:35 am

Six weeks, obviously.

viewtopic.php?t=11954

viewtopic.php?t=26595

Some thread drift
viewtopic.php?t=13264
gyre

Postby gyre » Mon Oct 04, 2010 3:57 am

Like I said.
gyre

Postby AntiM » Mon Oct 04, 2010 6:39 am

Not seeing everything is part of the magic. Makes every other discovery more precious.
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby theCryptofishist » Mon Oct 04, 2010 9:12 am

I think two weeks would kill us. Food and tempers would run short. Baby wipe showers wouldn't be enough. Mechanical devises and MV fail rates would go way up. Going through two sets of weekenders would have no charm.

AntiM's right. You'll never see it all, but trying would turn into its own kind of death march.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby MyPlayaUserName » Tue Oct 05, 2010 1:55 am

Burning Man is 365 days a year, just not on the playa

Then again, you clearly state "the burning man festival"

in which case, I say a week is probably about right. BUT, none of that coming tuesday, leaving sunday morning shit! people, sunday is part of the week. brc was waaay dead this year on sunday night, which made it feel shorter.
I think it should be two weeks actually, because most people would probably still only be able to last a week, but I'd like the freedom to stay on without feeling like I should be 'wrapping it up' so to speak.
MyPlayaUserName

Burning Since: 2007

Postby fbcota » Wed Oct 06, 2010 12:25 am

I have been for 2 weeks the past 2 years and I would love the official start to be a week earlier. Although I think the other posts are right about people loosing their minds. Both years around day 9 I start to loose my shit. It makes it fun, but it has also given me a giant amount of appreciation for DPW who are out there for much longer.

I think most people would come for the 5 days and jet when the world starts to melt away. But having it open for that extra week will allow for people to make the choice, do I want a week of this, 2 days, 2 weeks. Ahh, but at the same time it would be odd to have people who arnt building or participating out there. Plus, the rules would be applied a week earlier, and who wants that :P
fbcota

Postby Sham » Wed Oct 06, 2010 1:53 am

It does seem a shame that the city is built for just one week. In many cases, things are still being worked on during the week, only to be burned once it's finished.
If Larry could buy a large tract of land somewhere, it could be built as a permanent showcase in which people could pay for a daily pass, and come and go as they please. If done successfully, it could even suppport hotels and restaurants nearby. Those roust-a-bout DPW people could be replaced with construction crews and engineers.

I introduce Larryland--the prototype playa of tomorrow!
Sham

Postby SFbrothermichael » Wed Oct 06, 2010 8:05 am

re: In my mind, 7 days is too short to see everything.

In my mind,
LIFE IS TOO SHORT TO SEE EVERYTHING.
LIFE IS TEMPORARY.

If our life went on forever, we would not appreciate it.
And so it is on the playa.
SFbrothermichael

Postby Da Mule » Wed Oct 06, 2010 8:21 am

Shambala wrote:It does seem a shame that the city is built for just one week. In many cases, things are still being worked on during the week, only to be burned once it's finished.
If Larry could buy a large tract of land somewhere, it could be built as a permanent showcase in which people could pay for a daily pass, and come and go as they please. If done successfully, it could even suppport hotels and restaurants nearby. Those roust-a-bout DPW people could be replaced with construction crews and engineers.

Isn't there a community in California that tries to make it a year-round burner place?

edited to add link
Da Mule

Postby pbmaniac2000 » Wed Oct 06, 2010 8:22 am

I think 1 week is just the right amount of time!!

If you want the festival to go for 2 weeks, then come out for pre-week and set something up!!!!

If you want the festival to go for 3 weeks, come out early, work on a big art project or work out on the ranch.

If you want the festival to last for more than 4 weeks, join the DPW!

See burning man can be however long you want it to be. I've been out there for 3 weeks the past 3 years!!
pbmaniac2000

Re: how many days?

Postby Token » Thu Oct 07, 2010 11:57 am

dubovitch wrote:In my mind, 7 days is too short to see everything.

Spoken like a good tourist.

Why should I work my ass off for an extra week just for your entertainment?

How 'bouts you go and do rather than see.
Token

Postby Savannah » Thu Oct 07, 2010 12:42 pm

I enjoyed being there for 9 days this year (not counting travel before or after). It was virtually perfect. It was the first year where I haven't been sporadically panicky about the passing of days. I thought I was strictly being negative before, but nope . . . turns out I was being a little negative AND I needed 9 days. Or 10. :)

Everyone's got a personal perfect number of days there . . . for some, it's 6. I wouldn't want to see an official extension of the event because I think it would lead to extra craziness. And as Hunter S. Thompson would call it, bad crazy.
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby Fire_Moose » Thu Oct 07, 2010 12:51 pm

I was there for 11 days this last year. It was really nice. my first year i was there..10 days...i stayed til wednesday after the event. both were great. this year though it would have been better to stay maybe 2 more days and help out more. i felt bad leaving monday.
2K8 Burning Man Virgin 2K11 Camp Envy
2K9 Camp Envy 2k12 Fucking Flamingoes
2k10 Stag Camp 2k13 Camp Envy
Fire_Moose

Postby gyre » Thu Oct 07, 2010 9:09 pm

Whatever the length is, if you want to go home, GO HOME!

Problem solved.

I don't want to do the same things for six weeks.
I want to do different things, in the changing environment out there.

If I can pace myself, so can you.
gyre

Postby maryanimal » Sun Oct 10, 2010 5:17 pm

[quote="Da Mule"][quote="Shambala"]It does seem a shame that the city is built for just one week. In many cases, things are still being worked on during the week, only to be burned once it's finished.
[/quote]

Isn't there a community in California that tries to make it a [url=http://permaburn.org/]year-round burner place[/url]?

Is permaBurn for real. I noticed the $200 joining fee. I was wondering how many people are members. Is this a pie-in-the-sky idea or is this a real possibility. Plus do you have to have a permit to live on the land and build permanent structures. Just asking...

edited to add link[/quote]
Sometimes I'm confused by what I think is really obvious. But what I think is really obvious obviously isn't obvious.
maryanimal

Burning Since: 2011

Postby Elorrum » Sun Oct 10, 2010 5:34 pm

I'd like to be able to arrive on Saturday or Sunday.... but it's plenty good as it is.
Elorrum

Postby AntiM » Sun Oct 10, 2010 11:50 pm

Da Mule wrote:
Shambala wrote:It does seem a shame that the city is built for just one week. In many cases, things are still being worked on during the week, only to be burned once it's finished.

Isn't there a community in California that tries to make it a year-round burner place?

edited to add link

No new news since March. Wonder how its going?
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Postby neon tetra » Mon Oct 11, 2010 12:01 am

Personally, Wednesday - Monday would be perfect for me. The only reason I show up a day or so earlier is to get a spot closer than "I".

Thursday is maybe my favorite night. Saturday is something else altogether. I love the whole thing though.
Such a long, long time to be gone, and a short time to be there.
neon tetra

Postby Artemis » Mon Oct 11, 2010 9:12 am

AntiM wrote:
Da Mule wrote:

edited to add link

No new news since March. Wonder how its going?

I heard a couple different groups of peple at this year's burn mention that they were going to permaburn afterwards. I'm guessing the permaburn folks are just not big users/don't feel a need to update the website...

But unfortunately I don't know much more about it, Maryanimal. If you find out more, do let us know.

PS for Maryanimal: Make sure that the boxes below the place you type a post are all unchecked. That way your quotes and smilies and stuff will show up.
Artemis

Postby AntiM » Mon Oct 11, 2010 9:14 am

You can set that in your profile so you don't have to do it again each time you post.
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Postby Oso » Mon Oct 11, 2010 6:42 pm

How many days? Hmmmm....
358 would be about right

(one week off to go home and take care of things)
Home is not where you live but where they understand you.
Oso

Postby teardropper » Tue Oct 12, 2010 12:39 am

I run out of water on Saturday in my RV. Twice now. I'd need more water for longer. But I'm sure I could work it out. Don't know how you'd get the extra time-- 10 days, Saturday till Monday.

This does nothing for the set up crews. They would have to come out early, forcing even longer times on the playa. It doesn't matter, it is too short but can't really be longer. Damn defaultia.
\^/
/..\ Furthur
teardropper

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: The late Lazy Fucks. Now Orphan Eaters.

Postby CapSmashy » Tue Oct 12, 2010 7:09 am

teardropper wrote:

This does nothing for the set up crews. They would have to come out early, forcing even longer times on the playa. It doesn't matter, it is too short but can't really be longer. Damn defaultia.

Then of course you have the doubling of the fees, costs, etc associated with the potties, law enforcement, feeding the volunteers, maintaining a heavily used infrastructure...

We are typically there for about 12/13 days already with set up and tear down in the theme camp/village and that's too long and we aren't even having to deal with yahoos for the majority of our nearly two weeks.
CapSmashy

Camp Name: Terminal City://404 Village Not Found

Postby medulsa » Sun Nov 14, 2010 2:01 am

wise man once told me on my first burn:

if you see 5% of what's going on, you're working too hard....
medulsa

Postby bx1 » Sun Nov 14, 2010 2:34 am

I'm pretty sure I've talked about this before, but you do know that the Burning Man Project is in fact the prototype for the city to be launched after the zombie apocalypse occurs right?

My point is, after this happens, we will (well, some of us) be living in BRC from then on 24/7. So enough talk about it being too short already.
Braden aka BX1 aka -=B=-

THE BUSH (Returning bigger and badder in 2011):

http://www.placesafterdark.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=872

bx1

Postby Elorrum » Sun Nov 14, 2010 1:08 pm

Da Mule wrote:Isn't there a community in California that tries to make it a year-round burner place?
edited to add link

I think it's been tried... Da Mule, you'd probably have no troubles there, and make lots of new friends
Elorrum

Postby Mosin » Sun Nov 14, 2010 2:47 pm

After looking over the Permaburn Web site I have a Spinalpapian two word review: Perma Burnt.

To my knowledge the only true "permaburn" in the USA is Slab City, CA. If BRC was year-round, this is what it and the community would ultimately resemble:

http://www.polarinertia.com/march03/slab01.htm

http://www.desertusa.com/mag09/aug09/slab-city.html
Come down with fire - Lift my spirit higher -Someone's screaming my name - Come and make me holy again....
Mosin

Postby Fire_Moose » Mon Nov 15, 2010 8:45 am

AZ burners will be at slab city TG weekend working on some art.
2K8 Burning Man Virgin 2K11 Camp Envy
2K9 Camp Envy 2k12 Fucking Flamingoes
2k10 Stag Camp 2k13 Camp Envy
Fire_Moose

Postby moonrise » Mon Nov 15, 2010 2:07 pm

Mosin wrote:After looking over the Permaburn Web site I have a Spinalpapian two word review: Perma Burnt.

To my knowledge the only true "permaburn" in the USA is Slab City, CA. If BRC was year-round, this is what it and the community would ultimately resemble:

http://www.polarinertia.com/march03/slab01.htm

http://www.desertusa.com/mag09/aug09/slab-city.html

Thanks...my recently reitred Air Force maintenance man and his wife flipped out yesterday after they read in the local paper the laws may be changing to dis-allow sitting on sidewalks in Reno. They don't sit on sidewalks btw, they just feel less free, in Nevada for goodness sakes...They have two great kids also...smart, good grades and well behaved.

They have a bad ass custom trailer with massive extra shade awnings and such.
Says he's moving, *uck! Now now I need a new maintenance man...I hope he calms down but they'd love this family at Slab City, big time...full blown can do hillbilly! & proud of it...I'm hoping they come to BM sometime...'nuff said
I'm the MAN in a truck, burner who is stuck, you're in luck! I'll whip out my BIG tow chain and not charge you, not even one lousy buck!
moonrise

Next

Return to Experiences at Burning Man