News release Nov. 16, 2011 Burningman Rites of Passage

Share your pictures and video. Tell us about the sights, sounds, and scents, as well as the rumors and truths found at Burning Man.

News release Nov. 16, 2011 Burningman Rites of Passage

Postby AJ » Fri Sep 17, 2010 9:33 am

We interviewed an Undercover Drug Enforcement Officer known as Mr. Buford. He explained what took place. In his interview Mr. Buford told us. “ Wellll, it was a hell of a thing. These Burner types are pretty smart. First thing they did was every tobacco smoker came to Burningman and rolled every cigarette they smoked. We had over 12,000 people rolling cigarettes day and night. By Monday night we had stopped and searched over 1500 people and only found tobacco. Rex our Pot smelling dog was so over worked and upset he bit his trainer and ran off into the night. We were real worried about Rex because with no one to stop him he might find more Pot and end up eating it. Billie Bob, Rexes trainer got out some of his favorite biscuits and finally got Rex to come back this morning. We think Rex must have been up all night because the only way he’ll get up now is to eat more biscuits.
At this point we don’t know if we should spit, shit or wind our watch. These burner people brought in more than a dozen undercover film crews from colleges and people who just like to film. They had night vision cameras, transmitter microphones and all the stuff that we have been using to watch them. I don’t think it’s right to secretly film what Law Enforcement is doing when no one is looking. The films have appeared on YouTube, have been sent to our Department Heads and we have 8 lawsuits pending for Civil Rights violations. The whole thing could break our departments. After meeting with our other Law Enforcement counterparts we’ve decided to make some changes for next years Burningman. We are still going to be out there in force and will cite anyone breaking the law or using drugs. Those undercover girls and guys trying to buy and sell drugs were terminated. It’s all about the profit of the tickets anyway and those Burners weren’t falling for that kind of sting anymore. We’re just going to follow our own laws now. It’s cheaper, safer and easier on our careers.
Hey I’m on vacation next year during the 2012 Burningman. If I showed up with my old lady to camp, do you thing we might fit in?â€
AJ

Postby MonkeyExpress » Fri Sep 17, 2010 10:50 am

This brings up a bit of a point... With the advent of easy, available surveillance (My cell phone has a camcorder and voice recorder) LEO's need to up their game and adhere to the letter of the law, and not fuzzy-bust tactics. Just as much as "We" can't get away with certain things, the proof is in the pudding, if LEO's attempt funny business. Levels the playing field a bit.
MonkeyExpress

Re: News release Nov. 16, 2011 Burningman Rites of Passage

Postby EmilO » Fri Sep 02, 2011 2:42 am

Rites of passage play an important role in culture and the life of the individual. We have different impressions and opinions about this event. Burning Man, a dangerous festivity of creativity and survivorship, is illuminating the wasteland of northern Nevada. Burning Man 2011 is filled up, but the curious can follow the live online feed to get a taste of the bizarre. For next year, here are a few Burning Man tips to help newbies get ready. Article source: Burning Man 2011 lights up Black Rock Desert.
EmilO

Return to Experiences at Burning Man