Tower of Babel @ Root Society

Share your pictures and video. Tell us about the sights, sounds, and scents, as well as the rumors and truths found at Burning Man.

Tower of Babel @ Root Society

Postby dj_john69 » Fri Sep 10, 2010 1:09 pm

Did you make it down to Root Society and noticed a new stage ?? The video wall called, Tower of Babel. It had a huge dj booth with top notch international and national dj's including The Crystal Method, Dj Dan, Freq Nasty, Donald Glaude, Nick Thayer, Will Bailey, Hatiras, The Scumfrog, Paul Kalbrenner, Elite Force, Nigel Richards, Rabbit In The Moon, and Santiago and Bushido to name a few, 2 dance platforms along with skilled aerialist. It featured Vj Kevlar along with other bad ass vj's from around the World. The sound was amazing as well.

Did you enjoy the Tower of Babel ?? Did you lose your mind watching it while sober ?? Have a favorite dj set from the Tower of Babel ?? Did you enjoy a beautiful sunrise while there ??

Please tell us your thoughts and experiences while at the Tower of Babel !! Please post your favorite videos and or pictures.

We hope you enjoyed the Tower of Babel. Sorry if we melted your minds
:twisted:
Fuck you, fuck you...you're cool, fuck you !!
dj_john69

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: Root Society & Apex

Postby RACESV » Fri Sep 10, 2010 1:20 pm

I loved it. Thanks RS! Best DJ, Stickstick (?) Two people with dread type things and bandanas on the faces. Perhaps someone else in disguise........ 8) Best song was that Zombie Remix. Everyone singing along. Going to make me smile all year.
RACESV

Postby MistressSybs » Sun Sep 12, 2010 1:46 am

it was awesome

*awesome*
Opinions and Assholes, everybody's got one!

.:: starfuckers incorporated ::.
MistressSybs

Postby Pink Daddy » Sun Sep 12, 2010 6:48 am

Placed seemed cool, didn't always dig the music. It seems I always made it there after a big DJ was done. On one occasion, I think it was Saturday night, some DJ hopped on the decks and CLEARED the dance floor. Could have been a big DJ before and all his groupies left, but it looked like exodus watching everyone leave the dance floor.
San Diego Co-Regional Contact (E-mail: sandiego@burningman.com) - Camp Inspiratum - What inspires you?
Pink Daddy

much appreciated!

Postby colecut » Sun Sep 12, 2010 1:58 pm

the tower of babel thursday night was the highlight of my first burning man exeperience... vibesquad / an-ten-nae / dj laura / freq nasty + that amazing video wall had me convinced there was no reason to go anywhere else for a few hours =)

what all were you using for sound there??

An-Ten-Nae
[youtube]RJKQ3abi4dc[/youtube]

FreQ Nasty
[youtube]Tr1tMpJte5o[/youtube]
[youtube]aaEeLVFsAOk[/youtube]
[youtube]U7Gab9vMTuQ[/youtube]

not sure what im doing wrong with this embedding...
colecut

Favorite quote from Babel

Postby raftin » Sun Sep 12, 2010 2:10 pm

"If anyone out there has a Fireboard Dx-47 soundcard version 3.4 with 1.3 software build please bring it to the DJ booth. Bassnecter's broke and he needs a new one. We either get the sound card or no Bassnecter."

It was fun to watch 1000 hippies all looking around on the ground hoping to find one. Does anyone know what the deal was with that item?

As far as the experience at Babel, incredible production value, amazing sound, huge capital expenditures, but probably better set in Miami or LA. It did not really have any "community" feel; the was "The DJ" and there was "Us". If however this is a test drive for a monster show on the road with lots of kids, security guards, and protecting the performers I think it will work great. It is just that in my small little mind Burning Man is not the place for Jumbotrons.

Great work either way at putting it all together. How many trucks did it take?
raftin

Re: much appreciated!

Postby Pink Daddy » Sun Sep 12, 2010 2:12 pm

colecut wrote:the tower of babel thursday night was the highlight of my first burning man exeperience... vibesquad / an-ten-nae / dj laura / freq nasty + that amazing video wall had me convinced there was no reason to go anywhere else for a few hours =)

what all were you using for sound there??

An-Ten-Nae
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJKQ3abi4dc[/youtube]

FreQ Nasty
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tr1tMpJte5o[/youtube]
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aaEeLVFsAOk[/youtube]
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7Gab9vMTuQ[/youtube]

not sure what im doing wrong with this embedding...

Use the entire Youtube URL, not just the last part.
San Diego Co-Regional Contact (E-mail: sandiego@burningman.com) - Camp Inspiratum - What inspires you?
Pink Daddy

Re: Favorite quote from Babel

Postby colecut » Sun Sep 12, 2010 2:43 pm

raftin wrote:"If anyone out there has a Fireboard Dx-47 soundcard version 3.4 with 1.3 software build please bring it to the DJ booth. Bassnecter's broke and he needs a new one. We either get the sound card or no Bassnecter."

It was fun to watch 1000 hippies all looking around on the ground hoping to find one. Does anyone know what the deal was with that item?

somehow he was able to play 2 hours later at Nexus, that left me a little confused.
colecut

BassNectar at Root

Postby raftin » Sun Sep 12, 2010 2:48 pm

Yeah, that was also a little puzzling to my friends and I. We were like...why would you not bring backup stuff to BM.. especially if you are a superstar DJ? It would be like some superstar band forgetting guitar picks and canceling the show. If nothing else, at least have some CDs or a second tier of equipment, or a back up plan. But to loose you time slot at Burning Man due to a sound card problem when DJ is your living....WTF?
raftin

Postby Gage » Sun Sep 12, 2010 10:08 pm

We started off at the Tower around 10pm (with bikes), and when we came back around 4am, there were about 5,000 more people there, and the outside of the crowd was WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY back. We had to go in deep 2 different times to find our bikes, passing thousands...

It's amazing to see what ends up at BRC. Very nice. Thanks for elevating the presence of VIDEO+AUDIO!!

Much love! Gonna be at SF Decom? ;)
"Not everyone who is single is lonely; not everyone who is taken is in love." I'm a seeker of (& full participant in) present-moment magic, and nothing beats playa love! <3
Gage

Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Shadyvil

Postby Cap'nTrevor » Tue Sep 14, 2010 1:01 pm

This was by far my FAVORITE place to watch the sunrise. I would always find myself heading back in that direction when I saw the sky begin to brighten.

Here's a picture from Wednesday Morning:

Cap'nTrevor

Postby Simon of the Playa » Tue Sep 14, 2010 2:26 pm

I only left camp once...

Why bother?

Seriously though, i have very fond, somewhat fuzzy memories of the tower and root society 2010 that i will always cherish...ps, hey harley, why the fuck were we the only camp not to make the map? Oversight? Typo? I mean, really, did you think that would stop this juggernaut?
fuck you, it's magic

it's not a fucking festival, it's a PROJECT.

A gift for the Playa

THIS YEARS POSTERS

2015 posters
Simon of the Playa

Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Postby Simon of the Playa » Tue Sep 14, 2010 2:28 pm

God i love it when a plan all comes together :twisted:
fuck you, it's magic

A gift for the Playa

THIS YEARS POSTERS

2015 posters
Simon of the Playa

Postby dj_john69 » Tue Sep 14, 2010 4:22 pm

The reason Lorin played at Nexus is cause someone there had a card he needed and got him going again. His time slot came and went and we were all bummed out he couldn't play at the Tower of Babel. The crowd was HUGE that night.

Shit happens even when you're a huge named dj. The Playa will always win versus any electronic equipment.

It was still an amazing night of beats =)
dj_john69

Postby Simon of the Playa » Tue Sep 14, 2010 4:26 pm

The paper was EXCELLENT, so i didnt even stop the fun machine to notice.
fuck you, it's magic

A gift for the Playa

THIS YEARS POSTERS

2015 posters
Simon of the Playa

Re: Favorite quote from Babel

Postby kman » Wed Sep 15, 2010 11:54 am

raftin wrote:"If anyone out there has a Fireboard Dx-47 soundcard version 3.4 with 1.3 software build please bring it to the DJ booth. Bassnecter's broke and he needs a new one. We either get the sound card or no Bassnecter."

As far as the experience at Babel, incredible production value, amazing sound, huge capital expenditures, but probably better set in Miami or LA. It did not really have any "community" feel; the was "The DJ" and there was "Us". If however this is a test drive for a monster show on the road with lots of kids, security guards, and protecting the performers I think it will work great. It is just that in my small little mind Burning Man is not the place for Jumbotrons.

Great work either way at putting it all together. How many trucks did it take?

Shit, we were so bummed to miss out on Bassnectar's set. I later heard that he had played, but didn't realize it was right around the corner at Nexus! Doh! We had given up at that point and just cruised around instead.

Root Society's setup was damn cool, though. Amazing sound design, too... you left Tower of Babel for the first dome, and went from ear-splitting ToB decibels to not hearing it at all and only hearing the music in the dome! How the fuck did they pull that off?

The Nexus PyroSphere, however, rocked my world. (when the damn thing worked!) Hard to beat that.
kman

Postby karazy » Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:58 pm

It was my first time at burning man and the set from An-Ten-nae and Freq Nasty was the best.

Anybody know where I can get / download the full set from burning man of either.

Amazing!!!!
karazy

Postby alt12 » Thu Sep 16, 2010 1:19 pm

Simon of the Playa wrote:The paper was EXCELLENT, so i didnt even stop the fun machine to notice.

So what are you going to do now if this truly was Root Society's last year at the playa?
alt12

Burning Since: 2003

Postby LovePaint » Thu Sep 16, 2010 7:47 pm

Yes! It was one of my favorite things, and the projection screen/body-suited dancers blew my mind sober.

Didn't like the aggro later in the week though, and it was also where my [locked] bike got jacked.

Anyway, good job! it was amazing.
LovePaint

Postby Simon of the Playa » Fri Sep 17, 2010 8:49 pm

alt12 wrote:
Simon of the Playa wrote:The paper was EXCELLENT, so i didnt even stop the fun machine to notice.

So what are you going to do now if this truly was Root Society's last year at the playa?

I am PROUD to be a future denizen of TERMINAL CITY, at the best bar on earth, the BOOBY BAR!!!
fuck you, it's magic

A gift for the Playa

THIS YEARS POSTERS

2015 posters
Simon of the Playa

Postby Simon of the Playa » Fri Sep 17, 2010 8:50 pm

karazy wrote:It was my first time at burning man and the set from An-Ten-nae and Freq Nasty was the best.

Anybody know where I can get / download the full set from burning man of either.

Amazing!!!!

send me a pm with yer email.
fuck you, it's magic

A gift for the Playa

THIS YEARS POSTERS

2015 posters
Simon of the Playa

Postby alt12 » Wed Sep 22, 2010 2:50 pm

Simon of the Playa wrote:
alt12 wrote:

I am PROUD to be a future denizen of TERMINAL CITY, at the best bar on earth, the BOOBY BAR!!!

Good choice.... Booby Bar rocks...
alt12

Burning Since: 2003

Postby junglesmacks » Wed Sep 22, 2010 3:40 pm

I still find it so ironic that for as much worship goes on about Bassnectar.. I thought he played the most god awful, irritating music that I'd ever heard in my life. I'd rather listen to a dentists drill than that drivel. Just saying.
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
junglesmacks

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby dj_john69 » Thu Sep 23, 2010 1:55 pm

junglesmacks wrote:I still find it so ironic that for as much worship goes on about Bassnectar.. I thought he played the most god awful, irritating music that I'd ever heard in my life. I'd rather listen to a dentists drill than that drivel. Just saying.

He didn't play his set at Root Society in the Tower of Babel as planned. His sound card or something blew and he had to cancel as he was waiting in the dj booth area. He was bummed out.
dj_john69

Postby kman » Thu Sep 23, 2010 3:04 pm

junglesmacks wrote:I still find it so ironic that for as much worship goes on about Bassnectar.. I thought he played the most god awful, irritating music that I'd ever heard in my life. I'd rather listen to a dentists drill than that drivel. Just saying.

You find it ... "ironic" ... that there are other people have different taste in music than you?
kman

Postby junglesmacks » Thu Sep 23, 2010 4:15 pm

kman wrote:

You find it ... "ironic" ... that there are other people have different taste in music than you?

lol.. not at all..

Just saying (and of course all of this IMHO) that I love EDM.. I've been into it since the late 90s and have seen hundreds of DJs of all caliber play from all the top 30 DJ Mag'ers to of course local DJs and everything in between. WMC almost every year.

I heard so much lead up to Bassnectar and omgomgomgomgomg Bassnectar that I was like.. ok.. let's hear this. I caught him at Nexus, yes. I was just very shocked that for as much play as I'd heard this guy get, I personally thought the music was not all that great and basically just whompy, over bassed with not much variation or.. anything. Just tons of too much bass in a bland, irritating way.

This is entire;y my opinion of course, and it goes without saying that it's all good and to each their own. I was just personally shocked at the big deal that is made about this guy.

IMHO

..and now back to your regularly scheduled programming.
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
junglesmacks

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby Simon of the Playa » Thu Sep 23, 2010 4:46 pm

fuck you, it's magic

A gift for the Playa

THIS YEARS POSTERS

2015 posters
Simon of the Playa

Postby motskyroonmatick » Thu Sep 23, 2010 7:25 pm

Thanks Simon. That was fun.
Black Rock City Welding and Repair. The Night Time Warming Station.

Card Carrying Member BRCCP.

When you pass the 4th "bridge out!" sign; the flaming death is all yours.-Knowmad-
motskyroonmatick

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: B.R.C. Welding&Repair.

Postby sportsmobile » Fri Sep 24, 2010 10:53 am

I've been listening to Lorin (bassnectar) since the late 90's. He's one my favorites. Not only does he create great music but he also helps the communities in which he plays at. But I will say that I enjoyed FreqNasty and An-ten-nae sets more. Obviously not comparing lorins tower of babel set because that didn't happen.

What was with David Starfire and his comment at tower of babel, can remember which night "that was my latest track and you can down load it for free at davidstarfire.com"?
I hope we shall crush in its birth the aristocracy of our monied corporations which dare already to challenge our government to a trial by strength, and bid defiance to the laws of our country. - Thomas Jefferson
sportsmobile

Postby Simon of the Playa » Fri Sep 24, 2010 4:34 pm

Attn beat freaks, sub woofer humpers, ang all jigglists.and shake shimmies....

I will post all download links for the ROOT right here, as i get.them, as soon as i get them...

Anybody else w links to the Tower or Yoshiwara or the Underground please feel freak, i mean free to put them here too.

I will try to contact all the djs and freakophiles to make this a group effort, as we had SO many goddamn DJ's running around you couldnt whip your dick out for fear of hitting one....
fuck you, it's magic

A gift for the Playa

THIS YEARS POSTERS

2015 posters
Simon of the Playa

Next

Return to Experiences at Burning Man