Police state...

Share your pictures and video. Tell us about the sights, sounds, and scents, as well as the rumors and truths found at Burning Man.

Postby oneeyeddick » Sun Sep 12, 2010 4:48 pm

No they are not, you can buy the refills and the dispensers at many a store in the Reno area.

as for having a Flame Shooting Penis at Burning man...HIGHLY ILLEGAL!!
don't do it!
You will get a ticket !!
We have an obligation to make space for everyone, we have no obligation to make that space pleasant.
oneeyeddick

Burning Since: 1996

Postby Kinetik V » Sun Sep 12, 2010 4:52 pm

Cite: http://www.cognitiveliberty.org/dll/N20_state_laws.htm

Nevada 454.346

http://www.leg.state.nv.us/NRS/NRS-454. ... S454Sec346

NRS 454.346 Use or possession with intent to use drug, chemical, poison or organic solvent to induce euphoria or hallucinations unlawful; exception.

1. Any person who inhales, ingests, applies or otherwise uses or possesses with the intent to inhale, ingest, apply or otherwise use any drug, chemical, poison or organic solvent, or any compound or combination of any drug, chemical, poison or organic solvent, in any manner contrary to the directions for use, cautions or warnings appearing on the label thereof, in order to create or induce a condition of intoxication, euphoria, hallucination or elation, or to change, distort or disturb his eyesight, thinking processes, balance or coordination or to affect his central nervous system is guilty of a misdemeanor.

2. The provisions of this section do not apply to a person who uses or intends to use any drug, chemical, poison or organic solvent for medicinal purposes under the supervision of a physician, when the drug, chemical, poison or organic solvent is used or intended for use in keeping with the directions for use as given by the physician.

(Added to NRS by 1973, 75; A 1983, 242)

New Hampshire 644:5

http://gencourt.state.nh.us/rsa/html/lx ... 44-5-a.htm

644:5-a Inhaling Toxic Vapors for Effect. – A person is guilty of a violation if he purposely smells or inhales the fumes of any substance having the property of releasing toxic vapors, for the purpose of causing a condition of intoxication, euphoria, excitement, exhilaration, stupefaction, or dulled senses of the nervous system, or possesses, buys or sells any such substance for the purpose of violating or aiding another to violate this section. This section does not apply to the inhalation of anesthesia for medical or dental purposes. Any court finding that a minor is guilty of a second offense under this section may order the minor to the nearest mental hygiene clinic for examination prior to sentencing. The clinic shall report any finding it makes to the court. The court may order commitment to a public institution, including the New Hampshire hospital for care and treatment as the findings warrant. The court may thereafter modify the order as justice requires.

Source. 1971, 518:1, eff. Nov. 1, 1973

They may sell it in the head shops in Nevada but it's like anything else. Do it in front of a cop and you know how the story usually ends.

Edit: Texas's laws on the subject....

Texas 484.003

http://www.capitol.state.tx.us/cgi-bin/ ... C_TEXT=YES

484.003. Possession and Use; Criminal Penalty

(a) A person commits an offense if the person inhales, ingests, applies, uses, or possesses a substance containing a volatile chemical with the intent to inhale, ingest, apply, or use the substance in a manner:

(1) contrary to directions for use, cautions, or warnings appearing on a label of a container of the substance; and

(2) designed to:

(A) affect the person's central nervous system;

(B) create or induce a condition of intoxication, hallucination, or elation; or

(C) change, distort, or disturb the person's eyesight, thinking process, balance, or coordination.

(b) An offense under this section is a Class B misdemeanor.

Acts 1989, 71st Leg., ch. 678, § 1, eff. Sept. 1, 1989.
Kinetic V
~~~~~~
When you finally let go, only then will you learn how to live.
I bring order to chaos. And I bring chaos to those who deserve it.
Kinetik V

Burning Since: 2002
Camp Name: Sanctuary West

Postby CapSmashy » Sun Sep 12, 2010 4:52 pm

oneeyeddick wrote:No they are not, you can buy the refills and the dispensers at many a store in the Reno area.

You can here in Texas as well.

as for having a Flame Shooting Penis at Burning man...HIGHLY ILLEGAL!!
don't do it!
You will get a ticket !!

:lol: It sounded like you were gonna have some help with that incident.
CapSmashy

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Terminal City://404 Village Not Found

Postby CapSmashy » Sun Sep 12, 2010 4:54 pm

Kinetic V wrote:They may sell it in the head shops in Nevada but it's like anything else. Do it in front of a cop and you know how the story usually ends.

Ahhhhhhh, the old misuse for intoxicating effect laws.
CapSmashy

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Terminal City://404 Village Not Found

Postby Kinetik V » Sun Sep 12, 2010 5:02 pm

I'm sitting here thinking back to an incident that happened when a family member worked for the Kansas City PD. A driver led the cops on one heck of a chase, even outrun the helicopter at one point. When they finally caught him the Captain on duty told the officer to write as many tickets as possible. They basically dug out all sorts of stuff from the books to use, inspected the car to write it for safety issues, you name it, they wrote it. If I remember it correctly he got 29 tickets out of the deal. Granted quite a few got dismissed in court but enough stuck to add to his jail time. My point of sharing this story? An officer has wide discretion....and if you defy common sense and light up / inhale / whatever in front of them they can do some surprising things.
Kinetic V
~~~~~~
Kinetik V

Postby Lassen Forge » Sun Sep 12, 2010 5:03 pm

Whippets and Ferrets and Civets, oh my!!

Regarding our 2007 arsonist asshole...

Eric wrote:
rangerLEO wrote:
BMorg pressed for tough sentencing against Addis for very good reasons.

yes, as a preemptive measure to make an example out of one of their own: prank the borg - go to jail.

Or: set on fire a structure with people inside it and go to jail. Someone could have been hurt or killed due to Addis' stupidity. It was as much a prank as setting on fire a building with people in it is. Arson, plain and simple, regardless of the incoherent crap Addis spewed to justify it.

I was staying out of this thread, mainly because I think Smashy pretty much is saying the same thing as I would. But when people try to let Addis off when he endangered the lives of others for his own narcissistic masturbation... I'm not going to let it pass.

Addis was an asshole who was a firebug (specific kind of manic compulsive arsonist) that likely could care less if he killed people - he needed to be locked up. Strange he was an attorney, too... guess it takes all kinds.

Of course, trying to burn the Grace Cathedral in SF when he got back to the bay area didn't help his case or cred much. Paul got what he deserved, tho a stint in psychiactric observation was prolly also warranted.

You know... I was on duty that night with ESD, and watching the eclipse, and it was a fucking scary incident... KNOWING people were out there to watch the eclipse. We had to coordinate with REAL rangers (both the Black Rock kind and BLM kind) to try to get something coordinated.

WHo are you? Obviously not Khaki, nor LEO.
Lassen Forge

Location: Where it's always... Wednesday. Don't lose your head over it.

Postby Dr. Pyro » Sun Sep 12, 2010 5:51 pm

I want to personally thank Kinetic V, Ygmir, and any and all of you who subtlely or not so much, came to my defense (not like I really need it). Yeah, we may be "conservative" by Burning Man standards (hay, Republicans go to TTITD too you know), and yes, others in our camp have the backs of the rest of us. But we do not condone nor encourage the use/abuse of drugs, and that includes liquor. Which is why we limit our pours to 3 ounces of wine.

If you, sktELEMENT, can find one camp--just one--who is more caring and outgoing to everyone we meet, without judgement, I'd love to know who that might be. And the lousy fifty bucks goes not into my pocket but to help defray the storage cost of the Barbies, the art car, food that you were fed but probably too fucked up to remember, the wine we pour, the shade we provide, etc. etc. etc.

Jeeze, I think I just talked myself into raising the dues for next year.
Dr. Pyro

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro

Postby Eric » Sun Sep 12, 2010 8:35 pm

as stated above, whippets used according to manufacturers directions are legal, and it's legal to sell them & the "equipment" in stores, once sold it's illegal to use said equipment for recreational purposes.

Pulling out a whipped cracker & loading it while attaching a balloon in the open playa? Say hello to the Law. And, because you have paraphernalia on you, it's 'probable cause' to search or detain you, and when they find that small amount of pot you were saving...... $500 ticket for being stupid enough to pull out drug toys on the open playa. Luckily he had his passport so they didn't toss his whole camp (which wasn't mine- he was friends with campmates)
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly
Eric

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby LostinReno » Mon Sep 13, 2010 1:12 pm

Edited....didn't see the next page :oops:

That aside....where is my "beating the big dead horse" emoticon??? Uggh, this topic is so tired.
LostinReno

Burning Since: 2009

Re: Police state...

Postby cablemonkey » Tue Sep 14, 2010 8:53 am

alt12 wrote: There are maybe 10 undercover agents in elaborate costumes from 2 bureau's.

Fixed that for you.
cablemonkey

Help us help you ...

Postby playaquest » Tue Sep 14, 2010 4:39 pm

First off, yeah ... you're on public land at Burning Man: if you break the law in Black Rock City, and get caught, you're going to get cited or go to jail. And Law Enforcement (LE) is there to bust people who are breaking the law, not to play croquet. "Don't be stupid" is the right mantra. Be aware, be smart, and protect yourself.

That said, LE is NOT allowed to violate people's civil rights in the performance of their duties, and there have (in the past) been such incidents.

Burning Man works year round with LE to create the best possible relationship we can manage between LE and our participants. And the ONLY way we can do that is if we know what's happening on playa. So please ... help us help you ... if you had or witnessed an interaction with LE, good or bad, fill out a Law Enforcement Feedback form, so we can use this information in our dealings with LE. Thanks!

You can find it here: http://burningman.com/on_the_playa/le_feedback.html
Will Chase
High Priest of Propaganda
Burning Man Communications Department
playaquest

Oh and Doc Pyro?

Postby playaquest » Tue Sep 14, 2010 5:09 pm

One other thing ... I'll back Doc Pyro -- who I've been privileged to call a friend since 2003 -- as a world-class gentleman whose words and deeds consistently reflect the highest principles of this community. Period.
Will Chase
High Priest of Propaganda
Burning Man Communications Department
playaquest

Postby dj_john69 » Tue Sep 14, 2010 5:13 pm

Anyone know of just how many tickets were issued this year and how many arrest there was as well ??

Also, who were the guys cruising around on red quads all week ?? Like everywhere ?? Feds i though. Each dude i saw was fucking huge...260lbs or more. BIG fucking pigs !! oink oink

As for getting busted, if you do drugs in the open and or dont use common sense in BRC while using weed or whatever, you'll get a ticket. They, BLM rangers, are hoping to search you to find bigger and better things to nail you for. This is why the have the Playa jail...the Playa jail is 100% real. Why do you think they have a no drive zone around Burning Man ?? I promise you its not to keep hippies from sneaking into the festival. They could give a fuck less about that really.
Fuck you, fuck you...you're cool, fuck you !!
dj_john69

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: Root Society & Apex

Postby Token » Tue Sep 14, 2010 5:15 pm

Easy solution to this...

Move all the LSA mega camp honeypots 1/2 mile downwind and draw all the fuzz so they can work the raver junkies all night and let the rest of us do our stuff in peace.

Fuck! I'll even organize a shuttle service to clean the city out of raver hippies.

I really wish there were two cities, one without LSA and LSA. but that is stuffs for dreams and fantasies. Those days are long gone.
Token

Burning Since: 2001

Postby Rilopie » Tue Sep 14, 2010 8:01 pm

I've never been arrested, pulled over, or in any trouble with the law (and I party hard) because I am careful with my stuff and have friends to look out for me if I get sloppy. Before I went to burning man I heard tons of stories about people getting busted or pulled over on the way in and getting searched - I did not need jack rabbit to tell me.
bottom line, it sucks that we can't do whatever we want in public, including passing a joint to a stranger or openly take drugs. But we can't, its illegal, and the thing is -everybody- know this... Until we live in a place where we can do those things, the law is the law.
If you get in trouble you only have yourself to blame.

... i'm not sure that I should get involved with such a heated conversation as a new member of the board, but I really wanted to say that.
Rilopie

Burning Since: 2008

Postby Dr. Pyro » Tue Sep 14, 2010 8:33 pm

Playaquest, that means a lot to me, thank you. I still remember fondly bringing my eldest daughter to meet (for the first time) some "real burners" and you, Tiara and (I believe) R-Pod were there at the restaurant in Auburn, CA. Fun times. As always.
Dr. Pyro

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro

Postby Eric » Tue Sep 14, 2010 8:51 pm

Rilopie wrote:... i'm not sure that I should get involved with such a heated conversation as a new member of the board, but I really wanted to say that.

Rilopie- there are no rules on which thread you can join, and we've all jumped into heated conversations. Got something to add, please jump in!

Besides, you had an intelligent point and sometimes it's good coming from someone other than us mass-posters.

now watch, in a year you'll have more posts than me....

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly
Eric

Postby ygmir » Tue Sep 14, 2010 8:56 pm

Eric wrote:
Rilopie wrote:... i'm not sure that I should get involved with such a heated conversation as a new member of the board, but I really wanted to say that.

Rilopie- there are no rules on which thread you can join, and we've all jumped into heated conversations. Got something to add, please jump in!

Besides, you had an intelligent point and sometimes it's good coming from someone other than us mass-posters.

no one can pass you...........
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Postby theCryptofishist » Tue Sep 14, 2010 9:38 pm

ygmir wrote:
Eric wrote:

no one can pass you...........

Men seldom make passes...Uh-oh. I got lost somewhere.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Postby Kinetik V » Tue Sep 14, 2010 10:12 pm

While I love the regular posters seeing new people in here is always nice. Welcome to the eplaya Rilopie, diving in to a hot topic is a great way to join the fun.
Kinetic V
~~~~~~
Kinetik V

Postby thirt33n » Tue Sep 14, 2010 10:16 pm

^

woah...
that was, like, that thing where the big fish...gets eaten by the bigger fish...and then the biggest fish comes along.

welcome rilopolyio or...whatever your name is!
:wink:
blow.
thirt33n

Camp Name: Playa Name "Crux"

Postby sktELEMENT » Tue Sep 14, 2010 10:46 pm

Man some of you (a select few) are so self righteous, think you have everything figured out. I did not "hand over drugs" to an undercover, I am far too selfish for that ;) ...kidding.. But I did have two cops lean over me peer into my backpack and start questioning and patting me down without a warrant...WHICH IS WHY I GOT OFF NEARLY SCOTT FREE... So dont be so surprised about why I got outta jail so quick, pyro especially, without knowing the facts and understanding. You started it. You have brought this up randomly on eplaya 3 times now out of the blue when I am posting about other things.

So before you make judgements get the facts.
Infect Me
sktELEMENT

Postby sktELEMENT » Tue Sep 14, 2010 10:50 pm

For the record whipits are illegal in a sense...that was what was visible in my backpack...a dispenser and catridges....BUT I WAS NOT DOING THEM... nor was I about to...but cops do what they want whether it be legal or illegal. Then you get to deal with it in court later. Either way it = money.
Infect Me
sktELEMENT

Postby Eric » Tue Sep 14, 2010 11:02 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:Men seldom make passes...Uh-oh. I got lost somewhere.

We don't? I thought that was my job description....

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly
Eric

Postby Token » Wed Sep 15, 2010 7:50 am

sktELEMENT wrote:For the record whipits are illegal in a sense...that was what was visible in my backpack...a dispenser and catridges....BUT I WAS NOT DOING THEM... nor was I about to...but cops do what they want whether it be legal or illegal. Then you get to deal with it in court later. Either way it = money.

Next time put a pint of heavy whipping cream in your backpack.

Call yourself a pastie chef.

At that point there is not much they can do.
Token

Burning Since: 2001

Postby ygmir » Wed Sep 15, 2010 8:00 am

Token wrote:
sktELEMENT wrote:For the record whipits are illegal in a sense...that was what was visible in my backpack...a dispenser and catridges....BUT I WAS NOT DOING THEM... nor was I about to...but cops do what they want whether it be legal or illegal. Then you get to deal with it in court later. Either way it = money.

Next time put a pint of heavy whipping cream in your backpack.

Call yourself a pastie chef.

At that point there is not much they can do.

good call

YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Camp Name: qqqq

Postby Fire_Moose » Wed Sep 15, 2010 8:59 am

Eric wrote:But when people try to let Addis off when he endangered the lives of others for his own narcissistic masturbation... I'm not going to let it pass.

What about the people who built the wedge?

and can we stop typing whippets? It's Whip-its....cuz you make whip cream with them.
2K8 Burning Man Virgin 2K11 Camp Envy
2K9 Camp Envy 2k12 Fucking Flamingoes
2k10 Stag Camp 2k13 Camp Envy
Fire_Moose

Civil Rights

Postby AJ » Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:03 am

I’ve been to the Burn 10 times and I don’t use drugs. I did my share when I was younger, but the kept finding me at Taco Bell weeding the flowerbeds at midnight, so I quit. Drugs are wrong, especially on Federal Property. So are civil rights violations. I have friends that are in law enforcement. They are correct in telling me that the process of getting into law enforcement weeds out the bad eggs, but not all. Like any field of work there are good and bad. So what happens if you’ve been paid to be at the biggest party in the country and your citations are substantially less than other fellow officers? Your commander asks you what is the problem? Go out and get me results! Do peoples right get tromped on? Most of these discussions are based on people using drugs. What about the person who wasn’t using drugs and had everything they owned emptied in the dirt and are guilty until proven innocent because they dared to go to Burningman.
I was with a group of friends and we were walking out to see the Man. One of them lit a cigarette as we were walking. My mind jumped to the thought what if law enforcement sees that and mistakes it for drugs. Will we all be stopped and searched. Can I get a ticket by being with the group? How much do I really know about my group? Should I search their bags to be safe? Like a dark cloud even if you don’t use drugs you have to be careful. A fear is growing at Burningman. We need a better method of making sure the law follows the law!
AJ

Postby LostinReno » Wed Sep 15, 2010 10:59 am

dj_john69 wrote:Also, who were the guys cruising around on red quads all week ?? Like everywhere ?? Feds i though. Each dude i saw was fucking huge...260lbs or more. BIG fucking pigs !! oink oink

The poo haulers had 4-5 (Rhino type) of them out there? Were they in uniform? If not...no worries or paranoia, just poo haulers having some fun. :D
LostinReno

Burning Since: 2009

Postby thirt33n » Wed Sep 15, 2010 11:13 am

blow.
thirt33n

Camp Name: Playa Name "Crux"

PreviousNext

Return to Experiences at Burning Man