Police state...

Share your pictures and video. Tell us about the sights, sounds, and scents, as well as the rumors and truths found at Burning Man.

Postby Kinetik V » Sun Sep 12, 2010 12:52 am

sktELEMENT wrote: But you can pretend to be an understanding open minded burner all you want. Cause you're not.


I CALL ABSOLUTE TOTAL FUCKING BULLSHIT!

There's a lot that can be said about Dr. Pyro but I'll bring out my heavy cannons and light your ass up if you say shit like that. The fact is he is exactly what you described, an understanding open minded burner, period. Now I don't know the 411 on what went down between you two and I don't really give a flying rat's ass either. But blanket statements like that one...oh fuck no...ain't going to let that be posted without a response.

Truth be told you will not find a nicer, more respectful man on the playa. When I was persona non grata with the 3Playans and others, Dr. Pyro always treated me with respect, kept an open mind, and was a true gentleman and class act every time we met. Even when surrounded by people that couldn't stand me that were his friends, he still took time to make me feel comfortable in his camp, and to answer questions my friends and family had. Never once has he had an attitude.

In all the years I've had interactions with that man both in person and online...I have seen NOTHING, not one single damn thing that was even remotely questionable.

I apologize for running long here...but it seriously fucking pisses me off to see shit like that posted. And one last thing...Hooray to he who stomps your barbies? Seriously dude? Advocating destruction of someone's art at Burning Man is flat fucking wrong, and totally unjustifiable.
Kinetic V
~~~~~~
When you finally let go, only then will you learn how to live.
I bring order to chaos. And I bring chaos to those who deserve it.
User avatar
Kinetik V
 
Posts: 1646
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2007 10:43 am
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada
Burning Since: 2002
Camp Name: Sanctuary West

Postby Mosin » Sun Sep 12, 2010 12:59 am

Where's that popcorn icon located?
Come down with fire - Lift my spirit higher -Someone's screaming my name - Come and make me holy again....
User avatar
Mosin
 
Posts: 358
Joined: Sat May 03, 2008 11:16 am
Location: Highland, CA
Burning Since: 2007

Postby Eric » Sun Sep 12, 2010 1:08 am

Where's that popcorn icon located?


which one?

Image
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

Regarding Ticket Scammers and Scalpers

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly
User avatar
Eric
Moderator
 
Posts: 8743
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2003 9:45 pm
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby sktELEMENT » Sun Sep 12, 2010 3:52 am

"Never once has he had an attitude."

Yeah I believe they call that "Passive Aggressive." Talk to me when you have camped with him as a stranger. GRANTED, it was not so much him but SOME of his core group.
Infect Me
User avatar
sktELEMENT
 
Posts: 140
Joined: Sun Aug 03, 2008 11:56 pm
Location: Seattle

Postby theCryptofishist » Sun Sep 12, 2010 8:17 am

Colonel Monk wrote:But let's stop kidding ourselves about why some people use psychedelics at Burning Man - it's the same reason that you drink coffee in the morning or have a cocktail after work - it enhances the experience.

I drink coffee in the morning because I'm addicted to--well, dependent on--it and I want to have some credibility when I get to the office. I drink a cocktail after work because I've had a really tough day and I want to drown my frustrations.

Just sayin'.

Edited for grammar.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri


Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
User avatar
theCryptofishist
 
Posts: 40105
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2004 10:28 am
Location: In Exile
Burning Since: 2017

Postby ygmir » Sun Sep 12, 2010 8:32 am

sktELEMENT wrote:"Never once has he had an attitude."

Yeah I believe they call that "Passive Aggressive." Talk to me when you have camped with him as a stranger. GRANTED, it was not so much him but SOME of his core group.


Image
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
User avatar
ygmir
 
Posts: 27802
Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2007 8:36 pm
Location: nevada county
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Postby Kinetik V » Sun Sep 12, 2010 8:40 am

sktELEMENT wrote: Talk to me when you have camped with him as a stranger. GRANTED, it was not so much him but SOME of his core group.


In past years he has camped with a few people that...well let's just say if there's nothing good to say it's best to shut up. I think I'll exercise that option. And I've never camped directly with him because I'm a space cow and take too much space for where they are placed. Sardine camping is not my thing...unless I happened to get a sliver of Terminal Village space and then I'd adjust. Anyway ..... I still stand behind my statement that at the end of the day, you would be hard pressed to find a nicer guy out there.

And I was a bit harsh with the above post...there's a handful of people on this board I'd go all out for any day, any time and he's one of them. Respect is earned and in my book he's earned mine.
Kinetic V
~~~~~~
When you finally let go, only then will you learn how to live.
I bring order to chaos. And I bring chaos to those who deserve it.
User avatar
Kinetik V
 
Posts: 1646
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2007 10:43 am
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada
Burning Since: 2002
Camp Name: Sanctuary West

Postby ygmir » Sun Sep 12, 2010 9:01 am

Kinetic V wrote:
sktELEMENT wrote: Talk to me when you have camped with him as a stranger. GRANTED, it was not so much him but SOME of his core group.


In past years he has camped with a few people that...well let's just say if there's nothing good to say it's best to shut up. I think I'll exercise that option. And I've never camped directly with him because I'm a space cow and take too much space for where they are placed. Sardine camping is not my thing...unless I happened to get a sliver of Terminal Village space and then I'd adjust. Anyway ..... I still stand behind my statement that at the end of the day, you would be hard pressed to find a nicer guy out there.

And I was a bit harsh with the above post...there's a handful of people on this board I'd go all out for any day, any time and he's one of them. Respect is earned and in my book he's earned mine.


right behind ya, KV:

Image
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
User avatar
ygmir
 
Posts: 27802
Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2007 8:36 pm
Location: nevada county
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Postby CapSmashy » Sun Sep 12, 2010 11:42 am

sktELEMENT wrote:Right, but don't pretend to be so ignorant as that going into the middle of nowhere desert is not an influence to try to part from cops and do what you want as long as it is not morally wrong I.e. violent crimes.


Right, and don't be so fucking ignorant as to blatantly break the law in front of law enforcement.

I get really fucking tired of the people acting all surprised over getting busted by cops for drug use, especially the fucking morons that hand illegal substances directly to a cop.

"Oh my God, its such a police state! Why are the cops arresting me for breaking the law!"

Whaaa whaaa whaa....

I want to know why some people think a camping trip to the desert on federal land becomes some magical utopia without laws or rules just because there is a 40 foot tall stick figure on a pedestal in the middle of it.

Do you expect all of your camping trips to be without laws and rules or just this one?
User avatar
CapSmashy
 
Posts: 1919
Joined: Thu Sep 28, 2006 12:29 pm
Location: Awesome Camp 2.0
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Terminal City://404 Village Not Found

Postby ygmir » Sun Sep 12, 2010 11:54 am

It is sort of interesting, how, when camping, so many people think laws and rules don't apply.

I have property in the high Sierra's.
and, see what happens at the campgrounds and roads nearby.
drunk driving, shooting near other folks, yelling and carrying on all night, littering,.......not to mention whatever drugs they use, quite out in the open.

and, then, the trespassers who decide, even though posted, my place would be great to party and leave a mess.
So, they cut or shoot the lock off and proceed.
and, get indignant if caught.........

yeah, I think there is a mentality, with some, when camping, that laws and simple rules and courtesy, don't apply.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
User avatar
ygmir
 
Posts: 27802
Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2007 8:36 pm
Location: nevada county
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Postby CapSmashy » Sun Sep 12, 2010 12:02 pm

Colonel Monk wrote:Please, are you kidding? I love the high horse "I'm better than you" responses we get here on eplaya concerning the use of psychedelics at Burning Man...


It has nothing to do with a high horse.

It is called a stupid tax for a reason. As in, how fucking stupid do you have to be to hand an illegal substance off to a stranger in an environment where you are repeatedly warned and told about undercover police officers looking for stupid people to hand them illegal substances?

But let's stop kidding ourselves about why some people use psychedelics at Burning Man - it's the same reason that you drink coffee in the morning or have a cocktail after work - it enhances the experience. Freeing your mind can provide the ability to see things not visible to the naked eye.


Using psychedelics without worrying about interactions with law enforcement is just as easy as drinking that cup of coffee in the morning or having that cocktail after work in the evening.

A little common sense goes a long way. Again, that's why it is called a stupid tax. The person getting busted for drugs on the playa failed to utilize common sense in their illegal activities and did something really fucking stupid.

If you choose to not that's your trip, but to badmouth those that do from your "it's illegal" soapbox is ridiculous,


Making fun of stupid people that fuck themselves as an end result of their own stupidity is an enjoyable past time of mine.

"But it's illegal, and that makes it wrong"


I know lots of people that have been doing illegal things for years at Burning Man and none of them have even received so much as a sideways glance from law enforcement.

Why? Because they aren't fucking stupid about doing their illegal activities.

Burning Man was moved to the desert to get away from this bullshit.


No, it was moved because the desert is a much better place for expression than a beach in San Fransisco and easier to bring a large crowd to.

Unfortunately, it has caught up to the event again - after all it's on public land, and though that makes it our land the gubbermint has to exert it's will upon us for our own good. Otherwise we will just take drugs and take drugs and take drugs and take drugs until society implodes, right? Please.....


Once the event grew large enough so as to involve permitting, law enforcement and the laws were present. Hell, even before the need for permits came into play, law enforcement and the laws were present.

This is not meant as a personal attack, but rather an attack against the attitude that people who imbibe with psychedelics on the most psychedelic place on earth are evil criminals or something. Don't be ridiculous. People are often afraid of what they don't understand, and the only reason these substances are illegal is because the gubbermint wants to keep us under their yoke.


Several of the people calling out the stupid are users of psychedelics.

You seem to be having a serious issue of separation of issues here. Me calling someone that gets busted a stupid fucking moron does not mean I am some kind of anti-drug zealot. Its simply calling a spade a spade and laughing at the stupid person that fucked themselves over.
User avatar
CapSmashy
 
Posts: 1919
Joined: Thu Sep 28, 2006 12:29 pm
Location: Awesome Camp 2.0
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Terminal City://404 Village Not Found

Postby Kinetik V » Sun Sep 12, 2010 12:11 pm

CapSmashy's post needs to be converted to a FAQ or moved to it's own thread and made into a sticky. It's perfect.
Kinetic V
~~~~~~
When you finally let go, only then will you learn how to live.
I bring order to chaos. And I bring chaos to those who deserve it.
User avatar
Kinetik V
 
Posts: 1646
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2007 10:43 am
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada
Burning Since: 2002
Camp Name: Sanctuary West

Postby C.f.M. » Sun Sep 12, 2010 12:32 pm

CapSmashy wrote:
Colonel Monk wrote:Please, are you kidding? I love the high horse "I'm better than you" responses we get here on eplaya concerning the use of psychedelics at Burning Man...


It has nothing to do with a high horse.

It is called a stupid tax for a reason. As in, how fucking stupid do you have to be to hand an illegal substance off to a stranger in an environment where you are repeatedly warned and told about undercover police officers looking for stupid people to hand them illegal substances?

But let's stop kidding ourselves about why some people use psychedelics at Burning Man - it's the same reason that you drink coffee in the morning or have a cocktail after work - it enhances the experience. Freeing your mind can provide the ability to see things not visible to the naked eye.


Using psychedelics without worrying about interactions with law enforcement is just as easy as drinking that cup of coffee in the morning or having that cocktail after work in the evening.

A little common sense goes a long way. Again, that's why it is called a stupid tax. The person getting busted for drugs on the playa failed to utilize common sense in their illegal activities and did something really fucking stupid.

If you choose to not that's your trip, but to badmouth those that do from your "it's illegal" soapbox is ridiculous,


Making fun of stupid people that fuck themselves as an end result of their own stupidity is an enjoyable past time of mine.

"But it's illegal, and that makes it wrong"


I know lots of people that have been doing illegal things for years at Burning Man and none of them have even received so much as a sideways glance from law enforcement.

Why? Because they aren't fucking stupid about doing their illegal activities.

Burning Man was moved to the desert to get away from this bullshit.


No, it was moved because the desert is a much better place for expression than a beach in San Fransisco and easier to bring a large crowd to.

Unfortunately, it has caught up to the event again - after all it's on public land, and though that makes it our land the gubbermint has to exert it's will upon us for our own good. Otherwise we will just take drugs and take drugs and take drugs and take drugs until society implodes, right? Please.....


Once the event grew large enough so as to involve permitting, law enforcement and the laws were present. Hell, even before the need for permits came into play, law enforcement and the laws were present.

This is not meant as a personal attack, but rather an attack against the attitude that people who imbibe with psychedelics on the most psychedelic place on earth are evil criminals or something. Don't be ridiculous. People are often afraid of what they don't understand, and the only reason these substances are illegal is because the gubbermint wants to keep us under their yoke.


Several of the people calling out the stupid are users of psychedelics.

You seem to be having a serious issue of separation of issues here. Me calling someone that gets busted a stupid fucking moron does not mean I am some kind of anti-drug zealot. Its simply calling a spade a spade and laughing at the stupid person that fucked themselves over.


That.

Seriously. Like I posted in the other thread, if you make the poor decision to do something you know is illegal, then man up and accept your punishment when you get busted.

If you don't want to get caught, don't do shit to make it happen.

It's pretty simple.

I mean what is WRONG with people? You know there are cops there - not just there, but actively looking to make arrests.

You want to smoke a joint in clear view of potential LEO, it's your idiocy. Don't blame anything, or anyone, but yourself.

Grow a pair, stoners, really.

<----also 100% guilty of many illegal activities and drug usages
User avatar
C.f.M.
 
Posts: 3546
Joined: Wed Jul 01, 2009 1:28 pm
Burning Since: 2009

Ugly thread

Postby moonrise » Sun Sep 12, 2010 1:14 pm

I consulted lawyers BEFORE I went to the burn this year

If memory serves correct, one of the entrapment methods they told me about was "if a person accepts a gift of illegal drugs, that person is now in possesion and can be arrested"

I was asked for drugs often and told the askers "no, I barely have a night cap, try that SIR" they went away, where to I didn't give a fuck...

However one in particular became almost enraged when I would NOT accept weed as a gift from him and he circled my midget cart many many times..it was bizzare and a bit spooky for me...out of nowhere he comes up saying you're cool your cart is cool, I want to gift you some crystals from Tibet, ok sure thanks, then whamo back he comes and wants to gift me weed from a bottle and I decline...the circling begins, I appologize if he is sincere but explain I am DRIVING and have health problems and barely have a night cap...after about five back n forth round n round attempts to gift me weed, appologies and mini lectures from me....I finally had enough and asked where his mic was so I could LOUDLY decline his offer directly into his mic or in the direction of his other cop and quote my lawyers and he qucikly vanished.

I was out there a LOT gifting rides to disabled/hurt/elderly/injured/and burners of all walks of life and I had other encounters...marked cops would say stuff like "we don't follow their laws"... yikes...I am one of "them burners" lug head..lmao...maybe it was my short hair or sobriety so the one time I was pulled over they let me off with a warning...for forgetting to turn on my brake and head lights one time...not sure if it mattered, the cart was covered with a jillion blinkies..lol... I did stay sober and I truly did NOT know any of this legal stuff until I saw it on eplaya and then consulted my lawyers BEFORE going.
Call me dumb but I am not a legal expert and technically am/was..heh heh... a virgin because I hadn't been to burning man since the very early 90's.

The circling gifter was somewhere near one of the big sound camps and I was simply sitting on my midget gifted cart resting up

On another note; Dr Pyro and his people were gracious and invited me into the RV for a spell and I gave him a barbie, funny but I was told he gets 1000's of them....I hope she fits into the scene and can replace some of those that were stomped on! And thanks for the visit at your very busy camp...it was a pleasant stop over
I'm the MAN in a truck, burner who is stuck, you're in luck! I'll whip out my BIG tow chain and not charge you, not even one lousy buck!
User avatar
moonrise
 
Posts: 2216
Joined: Sun Jul 18, 2010 11:07 pm
Location: Silver Circle; Reno, Tahoe, Vegas

Postby Lassen Forge » Sun Sep 12, 2010 1:21 pm

Our fellow TCitizen, CfM, wrote:
... if you make the poor decision to do something you know is illegal, then man up and accept your punishment when you get busted.

If you don't want to get caught, don't do shit to make it happen.

It's pretty simple.

I mean what is WRONG with people? You know there are cops there - not just there, but actively looking to make arrests.

You want to smoke a joint in clear view of potential LEO, it's your idiocy. Don't blame anything, or anyone, but yourself.

Grow a pair, stoners, really.

<----also 100% guilty of many illegal activities and drug usages


Being part of the same subgroup, I can also say I don't have probs with LEO's. Even have them come in offduty, knock back beers and do vodka shots. But if your immature or stupid enough to do something illegal knowing that they're watching for it, then you're an idjit.

I also have a policy - no blatant illegal shit in my bar, whether it be toking a fattie or balling sheep without a permit. I will frogmarch people to the middle of the street if caught. Our fellow barkeeps are the same way. I refuse to have a place where above cops can no longer hang because it's unwise for them to do so - just like any other burner.
User avatar
Lassen Forge
 
Posts: 5322
Joined: Tue Feb 22, 2005 10:35 pm
Location: Where it's always... Wednesday. Don't lose your head over it.

Postby rangerLEO » Sun Sep 12, 2010 1:28 pm

CapSmashy wrote:
It has nothing to do with a high horse.


that would sound better if you weren't saying it from atop a horse.

it's not a stupid tax. because someone falls prey to an elaborate entrapment operation doesn't make them stupid, it makes them unfortunate and worthy of sympathy and understanding, not contempt, ridicule, and laughter.

how is it a stupid tax when your campmate gets busted for passing a joint - then is taken back to camp where police with dogs raid the entire camp in the middle of the night... finding your well hidden gram of coke you were planning to share with no one - now you're under arrest. what did you do stupidly - bring coke to BM? well, if that's the measure of stupidity i'll accept it. no drugs at BM, or you're stupid.

CapSmashy
... in an environment where you are repeatedly warned and told about undercover police officers


did i miss these warnings in jack rabbit speaks? where has the BMorg warned about the massive and elaborate undercover police action happening at the event?

the truth is BMorg doesn't care about the increasing number of LEOs - they welcome it. their presence helps to limit the company's liability. after BMorg ruthlessly pressed for tough sentencing against paul addis, it sent the message to pershing county that the gloves were off. these "burners"? have at em!

CapSmashy wrote:
No, it was moved because the desert is a much better place for expression than a beach in San Fransisco and easier to bring a large crowd to.


no, it was moved to the desert because the police wouldn't allow larry to burn the man on the beach (ironic). it wasn't easier to get out to the desert - it was a hell of a lot harder.
rangerLEO
 
Posts: 36
Joined: Sun May 02, 2010 11:50 am

Accurate?

Postby nesdonfoye » Sun Sep 12, 2010 2:01 pm

I have no doubt there are stings and the like going on out there, but with "mini guantanamo" and "water-board style chair" this report is just not that credible
nesdonfoye
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Sun Sep 12, 2010 1:52 pm

Postby Kinetik V » Sun Sep 12, 2010 2:18 pm

rangerLEO wrote:CapSmashy
... in an environment where you are repeatedly warned and told about undercover police officers


did i miss these warnings in jack rabbit speaks? where has the BMorg warned about the massive and elaborate undercover police action happening at the event?



Source: [BManUpdate] V14:#28:08.06.10 LAW ENFORCEMENT

Will Chase
to bman-announce

Burning Man Update: The Jack Rabbit Speaks
Volume 14, Issue #28: LAW ENFORCEMENT
August 6, 2010

Some years (and 2010 happens to be one of them), the Nevada Department of Investigations (NDI) patrols undercover in Black Rock City, looking for drug trafficking. Remember, in the State of Nevada even gifting someone a small quantity of a controlled substance can rise to the level of drug trafficking. Please obey the law and avoid being arrested for drug trafficking.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

If anyone missed that may I suggest contacting this fine organization: Reading is Fundamental: http://www.rif.org/
Kinetic V
~~~~~~
When you finally let go, only then will you learn how to live.
I bring order to chaos. And I bring chaos to those who deserve it.
User avatar
Kinetik V
 
Posts: 1646
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2007 10:43 am
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada
Burning Since: 2002
Camp Name: Sanctuary West

Postby rangerLEO » Sun Sep 12, 2010 2:58 pm

wow! i DID miss that. BMorg actually mentioned the word, 'undercover'. holy shit - at burning man? surely it's only a few, and something to be aware of, but not really a massive and elaborate undercover organization designed to cull the herd. otherwise, there would be some type of real warnings.

still, as long as i don't share drugs with strangers, i should be okay. it's only the stupid people who get arrested out there.
rangerLEO
 
Posts: 36
Joined: Sun May 02, 2010 11:50 am

Postby ygmir » Sun Sep 12, 2010 2:59 pm

Kinetic V wrote:
rangerLEO wrote:CapSmashy
... in an environment where you are repeatedly warned and told about undercover police officers


did i miss these warnings in jack rabbit speaks? where has the BMorg warned about the massive and elaborate undercover police action happening at the event?



Source: [BManUpdate] V14:#28:08.06.10 LAW ENFORCEMENT

Will Chase
to bman-announce

Burning Man Update: The Jack Rabbit Speaks
Volume 14, Issue #28: LAW ENFORCEMENT
August 6, 2010

Some years (and 2010 happens to be one of them), the Nevada Department of Investigations (NDI) patrols undercover in Black Rock City, looking for drug trafficking. Remember, in the State of Nevada even gifting someone a small quantity of a controlled substance can rise to the level of drug trafficking. Please obey the law and avoid being arrested for drug trafficking.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

If anyone missed that may I suggest contacting this fine organization: Reading is Fundamental: http://www.rif.org/


+1 KV
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
User avatar
ygmir
 
Posts: 27802
Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2007 8:36 pm
Location: nevada county
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Postby CapSmashy » Sun Sep 12, 2010 3:16 pm

rangerLEO wrote:that would sound better if you weren't saying it from atop a horse.


So emphasizing utilizing basic common sense in conjunction with committing illegal activity is speaking from a high horse?

it's not a stupid tax. because someone falls prey to an elaborate entrapment operation doesn't make them stupid, it makes them unfortunate and worthy of sympathy and understanding, not contempt, ridicule, and laughter.


No, it absolutely does make them stupid.

If a complete stranger walks up and offers you an illicit substance, and you accept it with the intention of ingesting it, you are a dumbass for a number of reasons with the primary rule violation being, know your substance, know your source. You might be comfortable with the idea of narcotics roulette, but not me. If I choose to ingest something, I know where it came from and what it is and I do not trust total strangers to give me those details.

If a complete stranger walks up and asks for drugs and you reach in your bag and whip out some illegal narcotics and get busted, then yes, you are a stupid fucktard.

how is it a stupid tax when your campmate gets busted for passing a joint - then is taken back to camp where police with dogs raid the entire camp in the middle of the night... finding your well hidden gram of coke you were planning to share with no one - now you're under arrest. what did you do stupidly - bring coke to BM? well, if that's the measure of stupidity i'll accept it. no drugs at BM, or you're stupid.


If you choose to camp with people that are going to be openly breaking the law, you got what you deserved.

If you willingly submitted to a search of your property without clear and defined probable cause, you go what you deserved.

did i miss these warnings in jack rabbit speaks? where has the BMorg warned about the massive and elaborate undercover police action happening at the event?


As already pointed out, you did.

There is also signage at the gate to the event of prohibited items with illegal narcotics being listed alongside fireworks and firearms.

As already pointed out, you seem to lack the common sense necessary to break the law in an environment where there is a high concentration of law enforcement present.

the truth is BMorg doesn't care about the increasing number of LEOs - they welcome it. their presence helps to limit the company's liability. after BMorg ruthlessly pressed for tough sentencing against paul addis, it sent the message to pershing county that the gloves were off. these "burners"? have at em!


BMorg pressed for tough sentencing against Addis for very good reasons.

In terms of the leo presence on the playa, they are bound by permitting requirements.

no, it was moved to the desert because the police wouldn't allow larry to burn the man on the beach (ironic). it wasn't easier to get out to the desert - it was a hell of a lot harder.


The beach event was shut down do to crowd size, not burning an effigy.
User avatar
CapSmashy
 
Posts: 1919
Joined: Thu Sep 28, 2006 12:29 pm
Location: Awesome Camp 2.0
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Terminal City://404 Village Not Found

Re: Accurate?

Postby EspressoDude » Sun Sep 12, 2010 3:29 pm

nesdonfoye wrote:I have no doubt there are stings and the like going on out there, but with "mini guantanamo" and "water-board style chair" this report is just not that credible


we never got around to building the Booby Board for Belly Shots this year, maybe next year
Is 4 shots enuff? no foo-foo drinks; just naked Espresso
Tactical Espresso Service http://home.comcast.net/~espressocamp/
Field Artillery Tractor
FOGBANK, GOD OF HELLFIRE
BLACK ROCK f/x Trojan Horse,Anubis,2014Temple
burn shit and blow shit up
User avatar
EspressoDude
 
Posts: 4866
Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2006 8:30 pm
Location: the first Vancouver

Postby rangerLEO » Sun Sep 12, 2010 3:41 pm

it's not "+1 KV" - he only illustrated the lackluster type 'warning' BMorg made about the massive undercover operations at the event. if BMorg cared about its participants, the title would be: UNDERCOVER STINGS AT BURNING MAN - THIS MEANS *YOU*! and then go into detail on the scale and how elaborate and manipulative and draconian the operations will be.


So emphasizing utilizing basic common sense in conjunction with committing illegal activity is speaking from a high horse?


no, it's your attitude.


No, it absolutely does make them stupid.


keep it up, brownshirt.

If you choose to camp with people that are going to be openly breaking the law.


won't life be grand when we can control the behaviors of other people.

you seem to lack the common sense necessary to break the law in an environment where there is a high concentration of law enforcement present.


you seem to relish that type of environment.

BMorg pressed for tough sentencing against Addis for very good reasons.


yes, as a preemptive measure to make an example out of one of their own: prank the borg - go to jail.

they are bound by permitting requirements.


they are bound by their own impotence and greed.

The beach event was shut down do to crowd size, not burning an effigy.


you need to learn you own history.
rangerLEO
 
Posts: 36
Joined: Sun May 02, 2010 11:50 am

Postby Kinetik V » Sun Sep 12, 2010 3:56 pm

rangerLEO wrote: otherwise, there would be some type of real warnings.


RangerLEO, I'm not trying to jump on you with my posts...but if the notice in the JRS is not a real warning, please educate us as to what is? Do we need Nevada DOT to put portable Variable Message Signs along 447 saying beware of undercover cops? Does someone need to park a rolling billboard truck along 447 with the same message?

Seriously, the JRS is one of the official means for the ORG to communicate with...and as far as I know it has the broadest reach of any communications medium they have at their disposal. In short if they have a message they really need to get out, from what I've seen over the years the JRS is THE TOOL they use to get it done.

So again...I sit here scratching my head wondering what the heck else would constitute a "real warning". Inquiring minds wanna know!

Revision: I just checked the topic review feed....the ORG has to send out effective JRS's that cover a lot of bases, keep people interested, yadda, yadda. Why would they send out one devoted to strictly undercover stings at BM? Anyone with even a half semester of college journalism 101 would laugh at the thought. Instead they send out the Law Enforcement Edition and cover as much as they can. In short...they're doing it right.
Kinetic V
~~~~~~
When you finally let go, only then will you learn how to live.
I bring order to chaos. And I bring chaos to those who deserve it.
User avatar
Kinetik V
 
Posts: 1646
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2007 10:43 am
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada
Burning Since: 2002
Camp Name: Sanctuary West

Postby Bob » Sun Sep 12, 2010 3:58 pm

Addis isn't a Tom Paine, he's barely a Tom Arnold.
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
User avatar
Bob
 
Posts: 6762
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2003 10:00 am
Location: San Francisco
Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Postby Eric » Sun Sep 12, 2010 4:03 pm

rangerLEO wrote:
BMorg pressed for tough sentencing against Addis for very good reasons.


yes, as a preemptive measure to make an example out of one of their own: prank the borg - go to jail.


Or: set on fire a structure with people inside it and go to jail. Someone could have been hurt or killed due to Addis' stupidity. It was as much a prank as setting on fire a building with people in it is. Arson, plain and simple, regardless of the incoherent crap Addis spewed to justify it.

I was staying out of this thread, mainly because I think Smashy pretty much is saying the same thing as I would. But when people try to let Addis off when he endangered the lives of others for his own narcissistic masturbation... I'm not going to let it pass.

However, now that I'm here: People too stupid to figure out how to do drugs without getting caught are just proving themselves idiots.

Anyone who took longer than a day to figure out that the event is crawling with police had their eyes glued shut and their Utopia Blinders on; if they can't go by what they can plainly see & modify their behavior, that's their problem.

As an aside: I do know people who were busted for doing drugs on the playa this year (whippets). Guess what: they were stupid & did it on the open playa. They blatently gave the police "probable cause" by their actions, and now have a $500 ticket. It's his own damn fault, and we told him as much. No sympathy for doing what you were warned against here.
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

Regarding Ticket Scammers and Scalpers

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly
User avatar
Eric
Moderator
 
Posts: 8743
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2003 9:45 pm
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby robrob » Sun Sep 12, 2010 4:03 pm

in addition to JRS and the survival guide AND the LEO at burningman pages, both the gate staff that took our tickets as well as the greeters who spanked our virgin asses explicitly told us to beware of undercover and nightvision LE activity.

shy of larry fucking harvey calling me on my cell phone and telling me to be discreet with my stash, i'm not really sure how much more could be done.
User avatar
robrob
 
Posts: 228
Joined: Wed May 05, 2010 4:31 pm
Location: chicago, il
Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: smoregasm / endor

Postby CapSmashy » Sun Sep 12, 2010 4:10 pm

rangerLEO wrote:it's not "+1 KV" - he only illustrated the lackluster type 'warning' BMorg made about the massive undercover operations at the event. if BMorg cared about its participants, the title would be: UNDERCOVER STINGS AT BURNING MAN - THIS MEANS *YOU*! and then go into detail on the scale and how elaborate and manipulative and draconian the operations will be.


*sigh*

Why should anyone have to warn you that participating in illegal activities can lead to a negative experience with law enforcement?

no, it's your attitude.


What, that stupid people get what they deserve when they do stupid things?

keep it up, brownshirt.


Brownshirt? Well that's a new one. What's next "jack booted thug"?

you seem to relish that type of environment.


And what would lead to this conclusion?

yes, as a preemptive measure to make an example out of one of their own: prank the borg - go to jail.


A prank? In my opinion, a prank does not involve wanton destruction of property with reckless disregard for the safety of others.

they are bound by their own impotence and greed.


No, they are bound by the permitting requirements of holding a large, public event on government land.

Furthermore, if you dislike the organizers of this event so much, why do you still attend? Perhaps you should undertake setting up your own event free of the greed and impotence you claim is so prevalent at Burning Man?
User avatar
CapSmashy
 
Posts: 1919
Joined: Thu Sep 28, 2006 12:29 pm
Location: Awesome Camp 2.0
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Terminal City://404 Village Not Found

Postby Lassen Forge » Sun Sep 12, 2010 4:19 pm

rangerLEO wrote:CapSmashy
... in an environment where you are repeatedly warned and told about undercover police officers


did i miss these warnings in jack rabbit speaks? where has the BMorg warned about the massive and elaborate undercover police action happening at the event? .


Try the one bit of REQUIRED reading, the survival guide. Yeah, and the LEO issue of JRS. Yeah, they warn you and warn you but if you fail to read what they provide, fuck, TELL you you MUST READ IT, then it's on you.

No matter who you are - INCLUDING Law enforcement out there.

Which means you DIDN'T read the survival guide, and for a Ranger that's, um, well... If I were Khaki I sure wouldn;t have admitted that!!!

Sorry, Credibility = -1 for you.
User avatar
Lassen Forge
 
Posts: 5322
Joined: Tue Feb 22, 2005 10:35 pm
Location: Where it's always... Wednesday. Don't lose your head over it.

Postby CapSmashy » Sun Sep 12, 2010 4:42 pm

Eric wrote:As an aside: I do know people who were busted for doing drugs on the playa this year (whippets). Guess what: they were stupid & did it on the open playa. They blatently gave the police "probable cause" by their actions, and now have a $500 ticket. It's his own damn fault, and we told him as much. No sympathy for doing what you were warned against here.


Whippets are illegal in Nevada?
User avatar
CapSmashy
 
Posts: 1919
Joined: Thu Sep 28, 2006 12:29 pm
Location: Awesome Camp 2.0
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Terminal City://404 Village Not Found

PreviousNext

Return to Experiences at Burning Man

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests