Police state...

Share your pictures and video. Tell us about the sights, sounds, and scents, as well as the rumors and truths found at Burning Man.

Police state...

Postby alt12 » Thu Sep 09, 2010 1:55 pm

I saw this posted in a comment section in an article on police presence at BM. As someone who witnessed 5 friends get arrested in a similar undercover sting a few years ago, I feel like its a good reminder and education on the potential consequences of giving drugs to someone at burningman that you don't know pre-event....

----------------------------------------------
sevens [Moderator] Today 03:31 AM

I was strongly coerced by 2 undercover agents to share my personal stash of a psychedelic substance. I made the grievous error of being trusting after they expressed what felt like great sincerity. I was then arrested and brought to a detention facility on the playa where I was placed in one half of a single wide trailer amidst police and military looking vehicles in what looked very much to me like a miniature Guantanamo. The AC was on high in the tiny police chamber (during the COLD night) and I had very little clothing on. I was chained to a chair and berated by an ensemble belligerent sheriffs. There was a water-board style chair with leather arm restraints that many peaceful, respectful detainee’s were placed in. On a couple of occasions while the sheriff stepped out, a massive black german shephard walked in, looking very menacing, one time approaching my face with a snarling look. I was held for around 8 hours there without water or the ability to use a bathroom.

After a 3 hour drive I arrived at the jail in Lovelock where I met people who had been badly beaten and others who had been "stung" in a painfully coercive manner. One example: Cat Woman seducing a man for several hours and offering him MDMA- after he finally pulled out less than 1/2 eighth of mushrooms, he was charged with distribution and possession of both substances.

My bail bondsman was paid a handy $3800 and I'm now bracing myself for attorney fees. I broke a cardinal rule, and yet, the sting that I experienced and the others I heard about are not acceptable in that they are disturbing the peaceful; nor is the treatment following the bust humane. I was charged with felony distribution and possession. Distribution does not have to be sales in NV, it can also be levied for sharing or giving.

Jail felt like a relief after the lawless limbo in the Pershing County Sheriffs compound. I have been going since 2002 and I assure you, that you are wrong about the police state aspect. They freely conduct blanket search tactics; it is not safe to assume that you will experience the same security you find in a city- you are at far greater risk, and, you are in a ZERO tolerance state with the most regressive entrapment laws anywhere you are likely to ever go to. The officers I met LOATHED BM and its participants, drawing BM logos in the dust on the van windows circled and crossed out as they ranted about having to be in this “hippy hell holeâ€
alt12

Burning Since: 2003

Postby thirt33n » Thu Sep 09, 2010 2:12 pm

i really don't want to believe this.

someone tell me it's great exaggeration.

...and what about Santa, Jesus and the Tooth Fairy? please?
blow.
thirt33n

Burning Since: 2002
Camp Name: Playa Name "Crux"

Postby K-mom » Thu Sep 09, 2010 2:22 pm

Yeah, this matches quite accurately with the story I heard from one guy I met at Summerlake Hotsprings on the way home. I'm actually wondering if he was the one who posted it on the other site. Either way, what he described sounded like this, a small military style compound out past the trash fence with hummers and jail cell trailers.
You call it malt liquor, I call it breakfast.
K-mom

Postby Lassen Forge » Thu Sep 09, 2010 2:43 pm

While not all LEO's are anti-burner (I've met some who volunteer to go just to attend the event for the event, not to be assholes) the above is actually an accurate description, and I'll leave it at that.
Lassen Forge

Location: Where it's always... Wednesday. Don't lose your head over it.

Postby junglesmacks » Thu Sep 09, 2010 2:49 pm

I simply make it a rule to never leave camp with anything on me.. period. There is nowhere on the entire playa that I can go that is too far away from camp if I want to make a pit stop back by for a fuel up. Never. It also gives me that complete free peace of mind to know that no matter what, no one can mess with me.

Don't do anything wrong = hard to get in trouble.
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
junglesmacks

Camp Name: Your mom's tent

Postby Lord Of Ruin » Thu Sep 09, 2010 3:56 pm

thirt33n wrote:i really don't want to believe this.

Lots and lots of it are factually inaccurate or hyperbole and I don't even know of this particular incident.

But I do know the K9 officer described, as well as the part of the cop shop discussed.

<yawn> Pussy.

It's the equivalent to being told to sit at a desk in a school portable unit during detention. If that freaks you out, then you go boy.

LoR
The fox provides for himself, but God provides for the lion - W. Blake (attribution corrected)
Lord Of Ruin

Burning Since: 2017

Postby alt12 » Thu Sep 09, 2010 4:29 pm

Lord Of Ruin wrote:
thirt33n wrote:i really don't want to believe this.

Lots and lots of it are factually inaccurate or hyperbole and I don't even know of this particular incident.

But I do know the K9 officer described, as well as the part of the cop shop discussed.

<yawn> Pussy.

It's the equivalent to being told to sit at a desk in a school portable unit during detention. If that freaks you out, then you go boy.

LoR

I kind of agree with you there. My friends that were arrested in 2005 were stashed at said police compound after being snared in a similar-style sting (cute raver chick asking for a "nug" of pot). They were released after a few hours with a summons to re-appear in October. They weren't traumatized. They weren't abused. It was pretty much business as usual at camp the next day.... In the end, it boiled down to paying a $1500 fine and pleaing to a misdameanor... oh, and a great burning man story for years to come :)
alt12

Postby swampdog » Thu Sep 09, 2010 4:59 pm

There was a water-board style chair with leather arm restraints

Really? What makes a chair "water-board style"? I thought they used, well, water-boards for water-boarding. Do you just mean a chair with leather restraints? Where I come from we call that a good time. Sorry, man, you lost me there. Don't get me wrong, I believe you were entrapped and detained but that level of exaggeration makes me doubt that it was nearly as bad as the writer says it was.
swampdog

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Rising Arms Pub

Postby Mosin » Thu Sep 09, 2010 5:12 pm

junglesmacks wrote:I simply make it a rule to never leave camp with anything on me.. period. There is nowhere on the entire playa that I can go that is too far away from camp if I want to make a pit stop back by for a fuel up. Never. It also gives me that complete free peace of mind to know that no matter what, no one can mess with me.

Ditto. No matter what state of mind I am in (if you will) I never have to worry about rummaging through my bag, proximity to LEOs, passing an electro-fag to a friend etc. Peace of mind on the playa is priceless... yet, interestingly, much cheaper than a drug bust in Nevada!
Come down with fire - Lift my spirit higher -Someone's screaming my name - Come and make me holy again....
Mosin

Burning Since: 2007

Postby davem » Thu Sep 09, 2010 5:40 pm

Is there a Camp Water-Board that I might be able to join next year?
davem

Postby sktELEMENT » Thu Sep 09, 2010 5:45 pm

I just wrote 2 whole pages about how and when I got caught last year, what happened after, what I did, and then my personal advice. Then my phone died...I put so much heart into it that I can't write it again right now. But the above is mostly true...if you have any questions, want advice, or need help with being already caught, send me a PM and I will help with my knowledge.

I am also considering starting a theme camp in which burners share stories and advice to other burners warning them about the virus of police and undercovers in our beloved home. If this interests you please contact me. And maybe we can start the peaceful fight to our burning freedom.
Infect Me
sktELEMENT

Postby junglesmacks » Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:00 pm

Mosin wrote:
junglesmacks wrote:I simply make it a rule to never leave camp with anything on me.. period. There is nowhere on the entire playa that I can go that is too far away from camp if I want to make a pit stop back by for a fuel up. Never. It also gives me that complete free peace of mind to know that no matter what, no one can mess with me.

Ditto. No matter what state of mind I am in (if you will) I never have to worry about rummaging through my bag, proximity to LEOs, passing an electro-fag to a friend etc. Peace of mind on the playa is priceless... yet, interestingly, much cheaper than a drug bust in Nevada!

lol.. allllllll of that, plus not even the LEO factor.. just straight losing or dropping "valuable" things while rummaging through the bag in the dark while not exactly in the tip top of mental sharpness..
junglesmacks

Postby Captain Goddammit » Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:06 pm

"And maybe we can start the peaceful fight to our burning freedom."

Your burning freedom to do illegal drugs??
Leave your drugs at home, and you won't get busted at Burning Man. You'll get busted at home instead!

Attention Morons: The same laws about drugs apply at Burning Man as in "Defaultia". Black Rock City is not autonomous.
"Whaoomph! Whaomph! Burbbleburbblepattpattpattpatt... WHAAAAAaaoooaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa........!!!"
Top fuel dragster, by Elliot Naess
Captain Goddammit

Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: Camp Fuck The Vehicle Passes

Postby sktELEMENT » Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:08 pm

[quote="Captain Goddammit"]Your burning freedom to do illegal drugs??
Leave your drugs at home, and you won't get busted at Burning Man. You'll get busted at home instead!

Attention Morons: The same laws about drugs apply at Burning Man as in "Defaultia". Black Rock City is not autonomous.[/quote]

Right, but don't pretend to be so ignorant as that going into the middle of nowhere desert is not an influence to try to part from cops and do what you want as long as it is not morally wrong I.e. violent crimes.
Infect Me
sktELEMENT

Postby Token » Thu Sep 09, 2010 10:19 pm

Why anyone would do drugs out there is beyond my understanding.

I have no sympathy for those that pay the Stupid Tax (tm).
Token

Burning Since: 2001

Postby Captain Goddammit » Fri Sep 10, 2010 6:43 am

sktELEMENT wrote:Right, but don't pretend to be so ignorant as that going into the middle of nowhere desert is not an influence to try to part from cops and do what you want as long as it is not morally wrong I.e. violent crimes.

Are you saying that you shouldn't get in trouble for breaking the law as long as you make an effort to hide from the cops?
Man, lay off the pipe before attempting logic!
"Whaoomph! Whaomph! Burbbleburbblepattpattpattpatt... WHAAAAAaaoooaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa........!!!"
Top fuel dragster, by Elliot Naess
Captain Goddammit

Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: Camp Fuck The Vehicle Passes

Postby Miles » Fri Sep 10, 2010 8:57 am

fucking burners, i hope you all get arrested

you drug using subhumans

you law breaking scumbags
Miles

Postby Dr. Pyro » Fri Sep 10, 2010 9:28 am

sktELEMENT, what you did last year you brought upon yourself. Also put BDC&WB on the sheriff's radar. That's why you were expelled from our camp, and that ain't easy to do.

I'm more than a little surprised you were ever let out of jail.
Dr. Pyro

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro

Postby junglesmacks » Fri Sep 10, 2010 11:28 am

Dr. Pyro wrote:sktELEMENT, what you did last year you brought upon yourself. Also put BDC&WB on the sheriff's radar. That's why you were expelled from our camp, and that ain't easy to do.

I'm more than a little surprised you were ever let out of jail.

*popcorn*

do tell..
junglesmacks

Postby Colonel Monk » Fri Sep 10, 2010 11:43 am

[quote="Token"]Why anyone would do drugs out there is beyond my understanding.

I have no sympathy for those that pay the Stupid Tax (tm).[/quote]

Please, are you kidding? I love the high horse "I'm better than you" responses we get here on eplaya concerning the use of psychedelics at Burning Man...

The playa art is largely built by trippers for trippers. That it can be enjoyed by people who don't use psychedelics is a pleasant and also intended side effect and a testament to the quality of our art. I myself only imbibed 1 out of 10 nights this burn; I don't *need* anything to have fun at BRC.

But let's stop kidding ourselves about why some people use psychedelics at Burning Man - it's the same reason that you drink coffee in the morning or have a cocktail after work - it enhances the experience. Freeing your mind can provide the ability to see things not visible to the naked eye.

But I guess people's reasons for having a drink of alcohol are more justified, more moral, right? Because it's legal, right?

If you choose to not that's your trip, but to badmouth those that do from your "it's illegal" soapbox is ridiculous, just as dissing someone's costume, art, or mutant vehicle because you don't understand it is retarded. Radical Self-Expression.....

"But it's illegal, and that makes it wrong"

Really? So is speeding, so was alcohol, so is oral sex in some states. Our gubbermint chooses their poisons and makes everything else - wait for it - "ILLEGAL". <gasp!> They lie, and we all know it. I mean, for Pete's sake we can't allow people to alter their minds - they might see thru our bullshit and rise up! They're encroaching on our decrees! The sky is falling! Ahhhhhh!

Burning Man was moved to the desert to get away from this bullshit. Unfortunately, it has caught up to the event again - after all it's on public land, and though that makes it our land the gubbermint has to exert it's will upon us for our own good. Otherwise we will just take drugs and take drugs and take drugs and take drugs until society implodes, right? Please.....

This is not meant as a personal attack, but rather an attack against the attitude that people who imbibe with psychedelics on the most psychedelic place on earth are evil criminals or something. Don't be ridiculous. People are often afraid of what they don't understand, and the only reason these substances are illegal is because the gubbermint wants to keep us under their yoke.

That said, you have to be careful - sharing with strangers is the easiest way to get caught. You get caught you pay the price. I definately noticed an increase in LEOs this year, and as a rule, in a city this big where they tend to congregate (large sound camps) I mostly stay away. I don't like to be watched.
dust.
Colonel Monk

Postby changoloco » Fri Sep 10, 2010 12:02 pm

I have empathy for anyone that goes to jail, jail sucks and there are very few of us that deserve the kind of treatment that we receive in jail and that is the truth. With that being said, don't be a moron. How many times do we have to hear stories like this before people realize, don't give drugs to someone that you do not know personally! It's simple. Furthermore, don't carry drugs on you when you are out and about on the playa. I keep mine in my camp and I make sure every year that I camp near the things that I am going to be around the most. This year I wanted to be near Root Society and Nexus. I camped near there so that, anytime I needed to reload, I was a 3 minute bike ride from my camp. It's simple people, protect yourself. Done with this rant.......

-Chango
Live the life you love, Love the life you live
changoloco

Postby LostinReno » Fri Sep 10, 2010 12:09 pm

changoloco wrote:I have empathy for anyone that goes to jail, jail sucks and there are very few of us that deserve the kind of treatment that we receive in jail and that is the truth. With that being said, don't be a moron. How many times do we have to hear stories like this before people realize, don't give drugs to someone that you do not know personally! It's simple. Furthermore, don't carry drugs on you when you are out and about on the playa. I keep mine in my camp and I make sure every year that I camp near the things that I am going to be around the most. This year I wanted to be near Root Society and Nexus. I camped near there so that, anytime I needed to reload, I was a 3 minute bike ride from my camp. It's simple people, protect yourself. Done with this rant.......

-Chango

Thanks Chango! :wink: it never ceases to amaze me how bent out of shape people get over the drug thing. QUIT BEING SO F'NG STUPID, really, is it that hard to do your business it in your personal space?? I also love how the majority of the stories are, "A friend of a friend, did blah, blah, blah"
Apparently this one was busted for E on the playa, then proceeded to run her rental motorhome into the Reno Arch. Seriously??? These are the moron's that get busted...and apparently with good reason!
http://www.rgj.com/apps/pbcs.dll/articl ... 0109080419
LostinReno

Burning Since: 2009

Postby Kinetik V » Fri Sep 10, 2010 12:18 pm

Wow, misguided activism. Gotta love it. You want freedom to do drugs on the playa? Start with joining efforts for legalizing medical marijuana or promoting the Cali ballot initiative coming up in November. That's where you start, and you won't see change overnight. But it will happen. Here in Colorado we've put the right to use medical marijuana in the state constitution....the only state to do so. It is being put to the test in a trial even as I write this...it may come up short but the effort is being made, the awareness is being spread...and the battle front widens.

Anyone can bitch and get people to bitch with them. But...can you take the next step and translate it into something more?
Kinetic V
~~~~~~
When you finally let go, only then will you learn how to live.
I bring order to chaos. And I bring chaos to those who deserve it.
Kinetik V

Burning Since: 2002
Camp Name: Sanctuary West

Postby LostinReno » Fri Sep 10, 2010 12:25 pm

Kinetic V wrote: Here in Colorado we've put the right to use medical marijuana in the state constitution....the only state to do so.

I personally think marijuana should be legal, but that's neither here nor there, didn't California do this already? Yeah, the state can pass whatever laws it wants but ultimately the gov't laws trump the state laws....last time I checked, it's still fedrally illegal, no?
LostinReno

Burning Since: 2009

Postby spectabillis » Fri Sep 10, 2010 12:30 pm

Captain Goddammit wrote:Attention Morons:

great to see you back in your element of such graceful and considerate labeling there captain, and with such favorable zeal in the same topics you like to target such things.
spectabillis

Postby some seeing eye » Fri Sep 10, 2010 12:51 pm

I wanted to bring this around to a more upbeat angle.

Don't be a victim of other's actions, including LEO's. Own your experience.

There is a business struggle going on between the ORG and LEO. LEO's like state agencies everywhere are desperate for money, their employees make good money with good benefits and don't want that to go away with the rest of the economy. They fear the unknown, the more staff, firepower, spy tools and intelligence they have the better they feel. Just is.

The LEO's think they need about a 75% increase in staff for BM: http://www.rgj.com/article/20100830/EVENTS04/100830001

Meanwhile the ORG thinks it should be less: http://burningman.com/news/100829_secur ... sment.html

You have a chance to influence it with your behavior. What would have happened if there were zero LEO arrests or citations this year?

Not so much ammunition for 144 LEO's and the increased costs which can be calculated from the afterburn report. Not only does heavy LEO presence change the feeling of the event, it's only a mater of time before there is a serious LEO vehicle-participant accident. LEO including BLM is probably about 5% of the budget, so there is another $15 by itself in ticket price next year. LEO encounters and blatant LEO attracting behavior are also probably about 90% of the ORG's bad publicity.

So make 2011 the zero citation year.

(Also why the ORG should bring even more tour buses of influential Nevada citizens...)
some seeing eye

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Woo

Postby Eric » Fri Sep 10, 2010 12:53 pm

Honestly I don't care what people do out there. Just Don't Be Stupid. It's as simple as that.

Most of the LEO's I've personally talked to have been fine- some of them downright hysterical with their stories about collecting the Stupid Tax (don't pee on a BLM vehicle, just sayin'), but they are definitely there to collect revenue more then they are to keep us safe.

Being with Piss Clear and now the BRC Weekly I get to hear lots of stories of the negative aspects of The Law in BRC, all of which reinforce the basic line I tell all my friends over and over, because it can't be repeated enough:

Don't Be Stupid
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

Regarding Ticket Scalpers and Scammers

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
BRC Weekly
Eric

Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby Bob » Fri Sep 10, 2010 1:16 pm

If there were 80 LEOs this year per 50,000 hippies, and one or two BLM rangers back when there were 80 attendees the first year in the desert, I'd say consider yourselves lucky.
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
Bob

Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Postby sktELEMENT » Sun Sep 12, 2010 12:21 am

[quote="Dr. Pyro"]sktELEMENT, what you did last year you brought upon yourself. Also put BDC&WB on the sheriff's radar. That's why you were expelled from our camp, and that ain't easy to do.

I'm more than a little surprised you were ever let out of jail.[/quote]

Right... you mean the camp where we all pay 50 bucks for you to pay for your trip and bring stuff out, like couches? Meanwhile if we hang out to much or take a nap on the couches we paid for you bitch? No thanks. Not to mention you never told me or anyone of our said "expulsion." We expelled ourselves from your conservative idealistically defined camp. But you can pretend to be an understanding open minded burner all you want. Cause you're not.

Put barbie death camp on the radar...I never even told them where I was camping you fucking drama queen.
Infect Me
sktELEMENT

Postby sktELEMENT » Sun Sep 12, 2010 12:28 am

And for the record I never spent a single second in jail, nor did I ever have to go to a single court date, nor do I have anything on my record at all. Because of people like the lawyer who helped me for free because of his empathy, and his true belief in what is morally right. Belief in freedom. Why all this? Because hypocrisy rules. And they are there strictly to make dollar bills.

So get off your horse. Fact is If it weren't for drugs Burning Man probably would not exist.

Hooray to he who stomps your barbies.
Infect Me
sktELEMENT

Next

Return to Experiences at Burning Man