The one year Black Rock City was off playa?

Share your pictures and video. Tell us about the sights, sounds, and scents, as well as the rumors and truths found at Burning Man.

The one year Black Rock City was off playa?

Postby clerkkent » Tue Sep 07, 2010 5:28 pm

I recall that one year (1997 maybe), BRC was moved waaay north of its usual location, practically in the shrubs. It wasn't a popular move, and had some challenges, based on comments I've come across. What were the details and reasons behind the move?
clerkkent

Postby theCryptofishist » Tue Sep 07, 2010 5:30 pm

It was moved onto a reservation in the expectation that different landlords would make for a better burn. Turned out not to work out that way.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby user2346 » Tue Sep 07, 2010 8:37 pm

[quote="theCryptofishist"]It was moved onto a reservation in the expectation that different landlords would make for a better burn. Turned out not to work out that way.[/quote]

1997 the project was on the Hualapai playa. It WAS NOT reservation land, it was and is private property, I think it was part of the Grant ranch. Also in 97 the project could use the fly hot springs.

In 98 the project moved back to BLM land, and close to Gerlach, not far out on the main playa
user2346

Postby theCryptofishist » Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:49 pm

Yeah, I got it wrong. I only set out that sketch out as a very general thing.
Was that the year the sheriff went off with all the cash from gate? I can see why they'd come back to BRD after that!
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby Isotopia » Tue Sep 07, 2010 10:16 pm

1997 the project was on the Hualapai playa. It WAS NOT reservation land, it was and is private property, I think it was part of the Grant ranch.

It was fun, the Man burned but the playa out there was totally fucked and a good number of people were camping in the scrub brush.

It was also the year that Princess Di died and by the time the news got back to the back areas of the event we'd heard that Reagan had died.

Best party ever.
Isotopia

Postby Burp! » Wed Sep 08, 2010 11:21 am

97 was one of my favorite years. Burning Man was still small. What would be completely ignored today was big then. Anyway I digress. What made 97 unique and memorable for me was the fact that you could go swimming over at the hot springs during the day. I remember thinking, how odd it was to be at BM and be able to swim.

T.
Burp!

Return to Experiences at Burning Man