$500 reward for return of stolen bike

Share your pictures and video. Tell us about the sights, sounds, and scents, as well as the rumors and truths found at Burning Man.

Postby Bob » Wed Sep 15, 2010 10:26 am

Glad the OP took the time to follow through on Monday to fill out the missing bike form. Good luck.
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Postby theCryptofishist » Wed Sep 15, 2010 12:04 pm

The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri
Burning Since: 2017

I Want to Help Catch Bike Thieves

Postby MarcusXXV » Sun Sep 19, 2010 2:24 pm

I personally think the best way to catch bike thieves is by using some sort of RF or GPS tracking device that is well hidden and cannot be easily disabled. This would allow us to track them back to their camps, and possibly locate any groups who are stealing more than one, as opposed to "borrowing" (aka "stealing") one for convenience.

I'm not sure how well this will go over on this group, but I support the idea of working with law enforcement on this issue. This is their job, and I can tell you from experience, they love to catch a bike thief just as much as we do.

Postby Tengerguy » Sun Sep 19, 2010 2:31 pm

Goes over well with me. Theft is not "radical self reliance" nor is it at all consistent with any part of the Burning Man culture, IMO. Catching and correcting the behavior of those who steal . . . is, IMO.

Postby K-mom » Sun Sep 19, 2010 4:20 pm

I really liked the suggestion someone made of having bait bikes, with all the pieces loosened so that it falls apart when the thief gets on it. Then, they are chased by a group with megaphones and heckled until they succumb to their natural suicidal impulses.
You call it malt liquor, I call it breakfast.

Postby Elliot » Sun Sep 19, 2010 6:36 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:Artemis uncovered this thread.

Yes, that's Gyre's "Bike Security" thread from last year, and I built some of those booby trapped bikes; rubber frame (actually garage door springs), ultra low gear, pedals that fall off (soooo easy to do!), coaster brake that locks up by itself, and a couple more. But that was months ago, and we never got around to using the bikes for the intended purpose this year.

Since fancy electronics are so readily available now, the most effective approach would probably be to track the thief to his camp and recover his whole loot. But bikes that fall apart after 30 feet would be fun -- if we are watching.

I can contribute a couple of my booby trapped bikes, and also one or two moderately expensive ones that have never seen Playa dust so they look attractive. But I'm not much of an organizer.
Elliot's Naked Bicycle Service & Piano Bar

---Bike come unglued? Take it to the nude dude!---

Thanks for a fabulous 2015, with 494 bicycles repaired! We shall do this again next year, for sure.

Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Elliot’s Bicycle Service

Postby FIGJAM » Sun Sep 19, 2010 8:46 pm

Sez the genius who brings pianos to the playa!
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

"If I can't find an answer, I'll create one!!!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me

Postby gunsmith » Sun Sep 19, 2010 9:18 pm

simple solution. back rack or basket, bungee cords, one bungee hooked to wheel instead of rack-they never see it and the bike stops short in one city block.
I may not be here now but I was there then

Postby Davoid » Mon Sep 20, 2010 12:28 am

Since there was incredible sentimental value in the bike, maybe you should go beyond simply combing the Reno Craigslist ads. I'd suggest maybe posting your reward offer on there as well.

And please- document those vengeful bike shenanigans, people! Would hate to miss such acts of righteousness at our shit show.

Postby Elderberry » Mon Sep 20, 2010 7:51 am

Davoid wrote:Since there was incredible sentimental value in the bike, maybe you should go beyond simply combing the Reno Craigslist ads. I'd suggest maybe posting your reward offer on there as well.

And please- document those vengeful bike shenanigans, people! Would hate to miss such acts of righteousness at our shit show.

There is incredible sentimental value in the loss and memory of his brother. Inanimate objects have no value what-so-ever. That should be the lesson learned here.

It was the lesson I learned when my partner of 10 years committed suicide, and one of the most important life gifts he could have ever given me.

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby B the B » Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:01 am

I most likely would have lost my Cannondale if I had remembered to bring it. Turns out I stopped at a Wal-Mart in Iowa or somewhere and got a Huffy Cruiser with fat tires and everything for $75. I lost it once in a bad dust storm, and found it about an hour later. Then once while snoozing on a bean bag at night under the pagoda I felt my foot fall off the seat and some young guy started trying to tell me he was just "making me more comfortable" and started putting a bean bag under my legs. I looked him in the eye and said "If you need to borrow my bike that's fine, but you better fucking bring it back here" He said no thanks and left. Then on Sunday my bike was most definately borrowed from Center Camp. I walked around the bike racks for probably an hour, gave up and went to chat at the volunteer tent, went back for another look, and found it in a different spot then where I had left it. Sorry to hear about your loss OP, but get yourself a Huffy Cruiser, they rock! You can take it off sweet jumps. And your brother was pissed off too, but he's over it now.
I remember thinking when the realization hit that my bike was gone at center camp, in the spirit of burning man, I simply said, "What an ass. Oh well, that's the burn. This walk back to camp is gonna really suck." I almost feel as if my decision to just roll with the punch is what brought it back to me somehow. On a sidenote I left it unlocked next to my truck and nice tent while I spent Monday night in Gerlach, then had to WALK back out there Tuesday, all my stuff, some pretty nice, was still there waiting for me. I left notes telling people use what they need but leave the rest for me.
"what if one of these times the man says f it and decides to burn us?"
B the B

Return to Experiences at Burning Man