Being Socially Awkward At Burning Man

Share your pictures and video. Tell us about the sights, sounds, and scents, as well as the rumors and truths found at Burning Man.

Being Socially Awkward At Burning Man

Postby playahata » Mon Sep 06, 2010 8:18 pm

Hello all,

I'm assuming that most socially-awkward burgins had a hard time finding a comfortable place on the playa. I sure as hell did. There wasn't a room I could hide in if I felt overwhelmed; nothing but a thin piece of nylon and a double-sided zipper (and I'm not talking about my uber-raver-sonic-goat-taint onesie).

And that's the beauty of Burning Man for those of us holed up in our room the other 51 weeks of the year. Burning Man MAKES you social, whether you like it or not.

Yes, it's scary as hell talking to new people but I don't think there's a safer environment to do it in. People seemed to go out of there way to make me feel at home. They all Looked past my initial disposition and made the effort to get to know me.

Burning Man has given me a huge push to go out there into the default world and change my social situation. I hope it'll do the same for some of you introverted keyboard jockeys that plan on making it out next year.
"Be excellent to each other."
- Bill S. Preston, Esquire

"Party On, dudes!"
-Ted "Theodore" Logan

Postby deathray » Mon Sep 06, 2010 9:47 pm

my neighbor was incredibly social awkward, weird and two faced. Its not a good scene for introverts, but maybe you can start a camp introvert.

Postby RedHeaven » Mon Sep 06, 2010 10:05 pm

Great post and so good to hear!!
Heck, I am a VERY social person, I go to music festivals and am involved with a big music scene in Norcal. I am used to meeting people and dancing kooky and basically being a high rollin' dork that loves to mingle.

AND I STILL GET FREAKED OUT AT BURNING MAN SOCIALLY, and all my hangups seem to surface! Maybe it's because I am actually with so many different kinds of (white middle class yuppie...hahaa) people with different tastes. But I ALWAYS have a social Breakthrough at Burning Man, and have interactions I couldnt have otherwise even at music festivals.
I end up learning so much and feeling almost autonomous and ubiquitous at Burning Man, but something pulls me out again and gets my social mojo in gear.

I am really stoked to hear that this event was a positive experience for you. BMan is a place for all kinds of personalities. You can go and be in your head and even have a great time, but being pulled out of your head is even better :)
Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Cirque Du Cliche

Postby Captain Goddammit » Tue Sep 07, 2010 6:22 am

Has anyone else noticed that "abagailmarbury" has a total of three posts, all short vague generic sentences, a virtually blank profile, and two links to commercial retail furniture online stores in the signature line?

I'm calling out a spammer.
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."
Delle: Singularly we may be dysfunctional misfits, but together we're magic.
Captain Goddammit
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp

Postby sunkenstate5683 » Tue Sep 07, 2010 11:16 am

This is a beautiful post. I've often felt the same way, though maybe to a lesser extent. My shrink calls me an outgoing introvert. I love meeting new people, but it doesn't always come naturally to me.

My experience in BRC has absolutely planted a seed that is going to drive change in my life, one area of which is honesty, charity, and openness with myself and others.

BRC is such a magical place; its wonderful to see so many people being open and kind with one another and there is no reason that one-by-one burners can't push the default world a little bit in that direction. Even in the BRC spots you seek for relaxation and a little privacy, you could end up sharing a hammock and making a close connection. Thank you hammock-camp!

All the best Playahata & much love.

Return to Experiences at Burning Man