Better than a Birthday

Share your pictures and video. Tell us about the sights, sounds, and scents, as well as the rumors and truths found at Burning Man.

How much of that sweet anticipation are you feeling?

Poll ended at Thu Aug 12, 2010 1:29 pm

I'm boiling over, someone turn the burner off please!
29%
Nice even boil that could errupt at any moment, don't put a lid on me.
36%
The bubbles are there, the pot is cooking something good.
21%
Someone add a pinch of salt to my mix just not there yet.
14%

Total votes : 14

Better than a Birthday

Postby mthyer » Sat Aug 07, 2010 1:29 pm

I only recently re-made the decision to attend Burning Man. It’s a long story, but the gist of it is that I got level two tickets last winter by waiting in the virtual line for my first pair. My partner and I got pregnant after years of trying (thank science) in April. By late June this year things were looking bleak on the vacation front so I sold my precious pair to some new friends with the promise that we’d try again next year. “C’est la vieâ€
mthyer

Postby Rice » Sat Aug 07, 2010 2:09 pm

Hi Welcome to the Eplaya!!!

You certainly have a good attitude ;)

To answer your question, this will be my 4th burn in a row and I am MORE excited this year than I was any previous one...

I don't think you need to join any specific camp! Just make sure your personal needs are covered (food, water, shelter) and you will be fine! Your first burn can be a <i>tad</i> overwhelming once you are on the playa.

Check out and memorize the survival guide: http://www.burningman.com/preparation/e ... index.html (This is important you know this stuff!!)

I can get cool at night (32°F), some evenings its cool, others though you can run around naked ;) Its better to have the clothes and not use them than to freeze your ass off...

There is lots of good and accurate info on the BM website and in the eplaya...

Love Rice
Rice

Burning Since: 2007

Postby mthyer » Sat Aug 07, 2010 3:02 pm

stretch80 wrote:You certainly have a good attitude ;)

Thanks Rice,

Sometimes that’s my only saving grace. I’m very enthusiastic about things like this. I’ve always wanted to go to Burning Man, just never really had the time or resources to make it happen. Now that I do I’m really looking forward to getting there and doing and seeing things.

I’ve been to the high desert many times before, just not when there was a 40,000 person party going on. Logistically I think I’ll be ok, maybe even capable of helping out when and if the opportunity presents itself. Also I’ve read the survival guide and committed what I need to survive in that environment to memory. The vehicle I’ll be taking there gets used regularly in support of my tele-working and tele-living needs so I’m more-or-less self-contained, low-consumption and self-reliant out-of-the-box.

Currently the most overwhelming aspect of the whole thing is the social attributes of BM. Happens to me every time I visit a new place with lots of people, but I like it and I’m looking forward to seeing how it all works.
mthyer

Postby Rice » Sat Aug 07, 2010 3:15 pm

mthyer wrote:
stretch80 wrote:You certainly have a good attitude ;)

Thanks Rice,

Sometimes that’s my only saving grace. I’m very enthusiastic about things like this. I’ve always wanted to go to Burning Man, just never really had the time or resources to make it happen. Now that I do I’m really looking forward to getting there and doing and seeing things.

I’ve been to the high desert many times before, just not when there was a 40,000 person party going on. Logistically I think I’ll be ok, maybe even capable of helping out when and if the opportunity presents itself. Also I’ve read the survival guide and committed what I need to survive in that environment to memory. The vehicle I’ll be taking there gets used regularly in support of my tele-working and tele-living needs so I’m more-or-less self-contained, low-consumption and self-reliant out-of-the-box.

Currently the most overwhelming aspect of the whole thing is the social attributes of BM. Happens to me every time I visit a new place with lots of people, but I like it and I’m looking forward to seeing how it all works.

I would not worry to much about the social aspects!! Just be yourself and you will find that you meet all kinds of neat and interesting people...

BRC can be overwhelming at times. There is a whole lot of visual & auditory stimulation happening at once! At times, I just sit back and watch... After about an hour or so, I am ready to get off my ass and participate.

I always carry a pair of gloves in my backpack. Any time I see a camp that needs a hand I am ready ;) (The dust storms can cause havoc, and most people appreciate when you jump in to hold a guide-line or assist in setting up their camp... ) There is always some way to contribute {hehe}

Have fun!!!

Love Rice
Rice

Burning Since: 2007

Postby Playa Foot » Wed Aug 11, 2010 9:15 pm

I am starting to get a little buzz going, have started to pack, will be ready in two short weeks. I made a run to the playa last week to check things out, they were in the very early stages of building a city, most of the streets were surveyed and thhey were getting ready for construction.
Burning Man is far far better than a birthday, at my age birthdays are not celebrations so much as a "No Shit, I survived another year?"
Last birthday (August 20, for those of you keeping score at home) I went to the funeral of a friend, this birthday I am going to the funeral of another friend. I would rather be at Burning Man than hear another chorus of "In The Garden" and hear the preacher say, "In my father's house there are many rooms."
Two more weeks!
Playa Foot

Postby Fire_Moose » Thu Aug 12, 2010 7:26 am

anticipation for what?
2K8 Burning Man Virgin 2K11 Camp Envy
2K9 Camp Envy 2k12 Fucking Flamingoes
2k10 Stag Camp 2k13 Camp Envy
Fire_Moose

Postby teardropper » Sun Aug 15, 2010 6:58 am

O boy o boy o boy, I getta' go to Burning Man...

Naw, I'm fine.
\^/
/..\ Furthur
teardropper

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: The late Lazy Fucks. Now Orphan Eaters.

Return to Experiences at Burning Man