to go, or not to go? crap.

Share your pictures and video. Tell us about the sights, sounds, and scents, as well as the rumors and truths found at Burning Man.

to go, or not to go? crap.

Postby little.foot » Mon Jul 26, 2010 10:15 pm

Hi everyone! Semi-frequent lurker, first-time poster here! I understand the topic of camping alone has come up quite frequently already, but.. yeah, I just wanted to make my own to seek advice about my predicament. I do what I want. (kinda.)

Anyways, this year would be my third year going home to the playa, and I'm having apprehensive decisions about going. To save time and whining, here's the background story:

1. I just graduated from college, and I'm taking a year off before grad school. I'm planning on moving to Australia for 9 months in October, which is quite an undertaking and quite a bit of money. Did I mention that my $9/hr paychecks kind of suck? Going to the burn is possible if I put my mind and heart into wanting to go, so I'm not too worried about the ability to make it happen. Oh, and I still need to get a ticket.

2. My ex (whom I'm still friends with, and we shared our first burn together) is going with a group of his friends who I'm friends with too. I'm hesitant towards camping with them- last year my burn was absolutely ruined by the volatile fresh post-break up nature between the two of us. We're cool now, I just don't want to risk (a) my burn, again, and (b) the current good standing of our friendship by regressing back to last year's burn. So.. camping with them is an option, but not really.

3. I have a group of semi-good friends going. They said I can camp with them, but basically we're all doing our own thing and essentially I'm on my own.

The thing is.. when I'm by myself, I get pretty shy. I don't feel too comfortable about going up to a random person and starting a conversation. In my past 2 years, I haven't had a whole lot of people striking up conversations with me (understandably maybe it was cos I was with friends or in a shitty disposition due to #2). I really don't want to be alone the whole time, and it's putting my decision to go completely up in the air. I know if I don't go I'll regret it, but I also don't want to spend a whole bunch of money that could go to my move to Oz if I didn't have a really good time. I also have a feeling if I don't go, it'll make it easier not to go in the future unless I find my OWN group of people to go with.

Oh, and details. I'm a 23 year old female. I'm friendly and outgoing when I'm comfortable, but introverted when I'm not and then just like to observe. I love dressing up and costumes every day and night, I love LOVE being out by the art, and the one thing that's making me REALLY stoked to go this year is the new DSLR camera I got- I'm SO excited about the pictures I'll be able to take!!

Apologies for the rambling, as I'm having a hard time getting my own thoughts straight. Thoughts, feelings, advice, ideas? :shock:
little.foot

Postby AntiM » Mon Jul 26, 2010 10:32 pm

Just go. If you have a shitty time, you can enjoy the fact that you were right. If you have an amazing time, you can enjoy the fact you were right.

Crap, I typed that backwards.
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby ygmir » Mon Jul 26, 2010 10:36 pm

AntiM: did you mean left?

Little.foot:

what is it you'd like to hear?
Think on that, might I suggest.
It seems, you're either looking for approval or to be talked out of going.
but, really, if you look inside, you'll probably find your own answer.
As well meaning as some here are, still, it comes down to what you want, or need.

just some thoughts.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Postby ygmir » Mon Jul 26, 2010 10:42 pm

or, maybe, you're asking the wrong people?

YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Camp Name: qqqq

Postby AntiM » Mon Jul 26, 2010 10:42 pm

I meant right and right. She hasn't left yet.....
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby Token » Mon Jul 26, 2010 10:43 pm

Your going to pick up anchor and spend nine months on another continent, which I assume you haven't done before ...

... But you have butterflies about going back to the Playa.

Hmm ... Interesting.

Here is a plan. Go with your non-ex group.

Day 1 - Do a greeters shift.
Day 2 - Do a disgruntled postal delivery shift
Day 3 - Do an ice slinger shift in Arctica

See what happens the rest of the week.

Maybe it helps you push your personal envelope a bit and help you the rest of the year.
Token

Postby little.foot » Mon Jul 26, 2010 11:02 pm

haha damn. That's a good point Token. Overall it seems like it'd be a good exercise to push myself into being more comfortable with being extroverted, and with moving to another continent.

The secret is, I'm not worried about moving across the world and making acquaintances because I've done it so many times already. 2 days after I graduated from HS I moved from Montana to San Diego.. and then from San Diego to Pomona, and back and forth once more.

I guess the thing about burning man that makes me so apprehensive is that it's a week long of the most amazing moments of my life, and I don't have anyone to share them with except myself. Or maybe having someone available to hang out whenever. Maybe just the terrified feeling of being entirely dependable on myself for entertainment and making acquaintances. I dunno, just thinking about it makes me feel lonely and uncomfortable.

I'm not looking for any particular answer probably because I'm still searching for that one particular answer inside of myself. Honestly I kind of feel like I wish it was still February or something, and it wasn't coming up so immediately fast. The spring went fast anticipating graduation, and so far this summer has sped by in hyper-speed for me because I've been sick for literally the entire month. Still searching for that answer, though. Just not coming up with anything definitive.
little.foot

Out on a whim

Postby gyre » Tue Jul 27, 2010 3:56 am

I would like to be helpful, but I'm kind of baffled.

The burn is like a giant cruise ship.
It's a blank check for shy people to not be shy.
And, are you even shy?

And I don't know how much of the burn you can share with someone else.
How often when you walk around with a group do your whims all coincide?
It's nice to spend time with someone else seeing the sights, but that is a whole different pace and experience, from seeing it your way.

There is almost always someone around to share anything out there, unless it's far out there.

I seem to constantly meet too many people I want to talk to, for far too long.
The time is always far too short.

Just say, "I'm Littlefoot. How the hell are you?"

There are even camps just for conversation.
gyre

Postby Fire_Moose » Tue Jul 27, 2010 7:54 am

Look at it this way, If you DON'T go yer gonna be at home...all by yerself.

If you DO go you will be surrounded by a bunch of friends you don't know.

I second the non-ex group and do yer own thing.
2K8 Burning Man Virgin 2K11 Camp Envy
2K9 Camp Envy 2k12 Fucking Flamingoes
2k10 Stag Camp 2k13 Camp Envy
Fire_Moose

Postby theCryptofishist » Tue Jul 27, 2010 9:49 am

Token wrote:Day 1 - Do a greeters shift.

Just start MOOPing and people will love you.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Postby Parasitoid » Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:06 am

Hey!

Since you said you were from Montana originally I decided I like you already! Come play with us in the desert!

There, I decided for ya.
Parasitoid

Postby Savannah » Tue Jul 27, 2010 12:50 pm

Here is a plan. Go with your non-ex group.

Day 1 - Do a greeters shift.

See what happens the rest of the week.

I love Token's advice, particularly the recommendation of going w/ the non-ex group (do your share with them, but see them as a Home Base, rather than relying on them as constant companions) and take a postal delivery shift. You'll meet a ton of people and see a lot of the city. What better excuse to introduce yourself to a friendly-looking group when you're hoping to deliver a letter successfully?

There is a "volunteer" link at the bottom left of the Burning Man homepage, but I'm not sure if the Post Office does it that way. Try also the "2010 Camps" in the main eplaya index first, or the eplaya "search" function.
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby Fire_Moose » Tue Jul 27, 2010 12:58 pm

Oh, and if you don't go crap you will develop compacted bowels and such, it's no good.
2K8 Burning Man Virgin 2K11 Camp Envy
2K9 Camp Envy 2k12 Fucking Flamingoes
2k10 Stag Camp 2k13 Camp Envy
Fire_Moose

Postby Ugly Dougly » Tue Jul 27, 2010 1:26 pm

Defaultia is lovely this time of year.

Do try and visit at least once.
Please to visit PAGE TWO.
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Postby little.foot » Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:40 pm

[quote="Fire_Moose"]Oh, and if you don't go crap you will develop compacted bowels and such, it's no good.[/quote]

I've been sick the entire month of July, flu -> bronchitis -> sinus infection.

if this happens, I may jump off a cliff. So thanks for helping with the decision process! haha

As for the rest of you, you all have really sound advice. I'm definitely being swayed in the direction of going.

and yay Montana! :wink:
little.foot

Postby gyre » Tue Jul 27, 2010 11:07 pm

Enable the bbcode and smilies on your profile and posts and the quotes will work.

Everything should work in preview.
gyre

Postby rgk » Wed Jul 28, 2010 1:38 pm

Where are you now, little.foot?
rgk

Postby mudpuppy000 » Wed Jul 28, 2010 2:51 pm

You better go, if you don't you're going to be staring at the webcam all week kicking yourself for not being there and a part of the fun.

You'd be amazed at how much fun it is wandering around by yourself. Plus you have your SLR now, that's something that's perfect for solo excursions and interacting with people.
mudpuppy000

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Orphan Endorphin

Postby curiousgnate » Mon Aug 02, 2010 11:15 pm

it sounds to me like you need to go just to force yourself to bring out your own self. your self without others to help you be what you are sometimes, sometimes when you feel comfortable because you have others to make you feel comfortable. you will get to comfortable by mid week no matter where you camp, and maybe you will get to being comfortable with yourself by the end of the week. i recommend that you go by yourself and push yourself to really find your true self that isn't defined by what others think about you. Just my thoughts! hope you have a great burn!
Creating Peace Through Anarchy Every Day!!! Stagger for life!
curiousgnate

Me too!

Postby OatmealMama » Tue Aug 03, 2010 11:05 pm

I've known about BurningMan for several years, and know some local people that put on their own events there.

However, I am a 34 year old mother of five, and feel a little apprehensive about going on my own. I just don't know who else (like minded friends!?) that I could invite. And maybe, I just want to be alone...

If a ticket falls in my lap, I'm there!

Good luck!
OatmealMama

Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Camp Envy-NOT the 1 on the Playa! - MRAC

Re: Me too!

Postby gyre » Wed Aug 04, 2010 12:44 am

OatmealMama wrote:I've known about BurningMan for several years, and know some local people that put on their own events there.

However, I am a 34 year old mother of five, and feel a little apprehensive about going on my own. I just don't know who else (like minded friends!?) that I could invite. And maybe, I just want to be alone...

That's the reason to go.
gyre

Postby theCryptofishist » Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:51 am

Um. Tickets don;t often fall into people's laps. Newton was at least sitting under the apple tree.
There are all sorts of people who go to burningman, including some of "your people" whatever sort of people yours are. Finding them isn't so easy. But you won't be dinged for being a housewife with 5 kids. The pertinent questions remain: do you want to go, can you afford to go, and if you go how can you insure the best possible time.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

A clean slate

Postby Nitevenus » Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:11 am

Good opportunity to go where no one knows your name. A chance to be who or what you would like to be, act a bit crazier than you normally would and no one knows the difference or cares. Act on things that interest you and pass on those that don't. It's the playground we dreamed of as kids at recess possibly including monkey bars! What an amazing amount of interesting people and things to do there. Reminds me of a Bedouin Las Vegas, and you know the saying; What happens in ........... GO
Nitevenus

Postby OatmealMama » Wed Aug 04, 2010 2:47 pm

I didn't really expect tickets to fall in my lap -- but I also won't go out and fight for them (pay full price when I don't really have to) -- or cry about my messages or phone calls not being returned from those that are selling their tickets. If it doesn't happen, then it doesn't happen. You are too funny with the "my people" comment! I know who my friends are, and I think I would have to be very selective about who I would make this venture with! I'm sure you could think of several friends that just would not be able to hang. And I'm not juuuuust a housewife. I have a real life job outside of my home and family life. Heck, I even use my job as an escape from my home life!

So to answer your questions; yes, yes, and I'm sure I'd have a great time. There we have it. Now where are my tickets? :lol:
OatmealMama

Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Camp Envy-NOT the 1 on the Playa! - MRAC

Postby theCryptofishist » Wed Aug 04, 2010 7:21 pm

Okay, sorry about that falling in the lap bit. Things get horrible around here this part of the year as all sorts of people start begging for tickets with all sorts of scary creativity going on. Send pms to anyone who's offering a ticket you can afford. Um and sorry I implied that you were "just a housewife." Obviously I could have taken more care reading your post. I'm "just a secretary" and should know better.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby stiles » Wed Aug 04, 2010 8:47 pm

Come on out and socialize. Walk into three strangers' camp bars every day and talk to the bartenders or random people. Exploring is half the fun.

I knew a grand total of one person the first year I went, five years ago. Now I know a bunch of great people from at least nine camps, and most of them were met totally randomly.

Stop by Camp Jersey and have a cocktail on us.
stiles

Postby ibdave » Wed Aug 04, 2010 8:54 pm

it's a big fucking city, camp on the other side and I'll draw a chalkline down the middle.. "I Love Lucy " style...

well not me because I'm still not going this year... yes still....
I was Born OK the 1st Time....

Don't bring defaultia to Burning Man, take Burning Man to defaultia...... graidawg
ibdave

Burning Since: 1998

just saw your post

Postby organizedchaos » Thu Aug 05, 2010 1:24 am

couldn't help noticing you are moving to australia for a little bit! just thought you should know that if your worried about the money situation now- dont be! i just did 6 months there and all of my friends that were doing the same thing were making tons of money. anyway, i'd love to meet up with you and chat and make friends at some point! i am a 24 year old girl from so cal as well :) anyway pm me if you want to try to meet up there :D because you should definitely go!!

see ya soon!!
organizedchaos

Postby Isotopia » Fri Aug 06, 2010 1:06 pm

I think this about sums it up for 95% of the folks asking the question

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6WAi0ssLGs&feature=youtube_gdata[/youtube]
Isotopia

Postby stiles » Fri Aug 06, 2010 1:45 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol:
stiles

Next

Return to Experiences at Burning Man