Bringing Your Parents to Burning Man?

Share your pictures and video. Tell us about the sights, sounds, and scents, as well as the rumors and truths found at Burning Man.

Bringing Your Parents to Burning Man?

Postby flatlander13 » Mon Jul 26, 2010 3:16 pm

I used to work with this burner who went to Burning Man with his dad every year. He had some great “burner dadâ€
flatlander13

Re: Bringing Your Parents to Burning Man?

Postby LostinReno » Mon Jul 26, 2010 4:50 pm

[quote="flatlander13"]I used to work with this burner who went to Burning Man with his dad every year. He had some great “burner dadâ€
LostinReno

Burning Since: 2009

Postby accordionMan » Mon Jul 26, 2010 4:58 pm

My son took me to Burning Man in 1999.

He had gone in 98 and the minute he could call, he said... "Dad you have to go next year with me!"

And I did.

How did it go?

Well, this will be my 12th year in a row attending! I've gone back with my son a few more times over the years and have always had a ball with him.

He would do his thing, I would do my thing, we would do our "thing" together like jam.. him on percussion or we'd just kick back, relax, maybe talk.

Sometimes during the day we would bump into each other on the playa! It's funny how that happens. We've always had a great relationship and our time together on the playa is very special to us.

As far as Burner Dad stories go... he might tell you about my belief that the accordion is a chick magnet:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RwAcxvzC61w
FREE MONEY to BURN 2013:
http://www.digitalartist.com/art/burningman/money.html
Some accordion at BM: http://current.com/items/89239638/rob_the_accordion_man.htm
accordionMan

Postby geekster » Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:47 pm

I would get into too much trouble if I tried. I think it is against the law to dig people up after they are buried. Besides, it would funk up the car something fierce.

BUT, Pop would probably have a great time. I wouldn't have a problem going with my Dad if he were still around.
Pabst Blue Ribbon - The beer that made Gerlach famous.
geekster

Postby Alexisaok » Thu Jul 29, 2010 11:41 pm

My dad will be bringing me this year he went last year and decided that I HAD to go. I've seen my dad in party mode befor as I've been doing sound for my dads band since I was 17 (now 21) but I'm looking forward to hanging out with him, freak flag flying proudly at full mast!
Alexisaok

Postby lambert13 » Fri Jul 30, 2010 7:08 am

My Dad called me up out of the blue last year and asked if I wanted to go to Burning Man with him. 2011 will be our virgin year. It is all that both of talk about. We regularly call each other with ideas and thoughts. Excited as little kids.
It's pointless to walk when it's past time to run.
lambert13

Postby sportsmobile » Fri Jul 30, 2010 7:50 am

my Mom keeps talking about it but my Dad is kind of a home body. But me thinks with some more persuassion with stories from another year there and flying home to drive out with them, i think one if not both could be there next year.

i cherish my relationship with my parents and hope to one day share the most amazing place i've ever been to/most amazing experiences i've ever had with them
I hope we shall crush in its birth the aristocracy of our monied corporations which dare already to challenge our government to a trial by strength, and bid defiance to the laws of our country. - Thomas Jefferson
sportsmobile

Postby LostinReno » Fri Jul 30, 2010 12:25 pm

Alexisaok wrote:My dad will be bringing me this year he went last year and decided that I HAD to go. I've seen my dad in party mode befor as I've been doing sound for my dads band since I was 17 (now 21) but I'm looking forward to hanging out with him, freak flag flying proudly at full mast!

That's so cool that you're tight with your parents at that age! It took me until my 30's to actually "want to hang out with them" Funny part is that I'm probably your dad's age! LOL! Last year my dad lived vicariously through us by watching the web cam all day. My mom said he was addicted to it and kept looking for us (riiiiigggghhht! lol), he hasn't talked about much else since and is soooo exited to be going this year, its too cute!
LostinReno

Postby geekster » Fri Jul 30, 2010 12:48 pm

For empty-nester parents, Burning Man could be a great way to bond with the kids as adults. I left home when I was 17 and except for a couple of years in the mid 1980's, never lived closer than 3000 miles to home after 17 until I went home in the early 90's. The time spent with Pop in my 30's (he in his 50's) was amazing. He was so much different from the perspective of an adult than how I remembered him and thought of him prior to that time.
Pabst Blue Ribbon - The beer that made Gerlach famous.
geekster

Postby darren y » Sat Jul 31, 2010 4:04 am

my dad just came today from So. Oregon to Reno to build my art car!!!
(+ he's hear for Hot August Nights)
I wish he would go, I know he'd have a blast, but my mom has turned him into a home body, but I'm setting the stage for next year, he's really excited about building my art car, hell, he even got me the golf cart that its being made from.
aka: Mr. Mister
darren y

Postby geospyder » Sat Jul 31, 2010 9:14 am

Burningman can be like a family going on a cruise. Everyone can do their own thing and periodically you meet up to talk about what you've done. There is no need (and not recommended) that you are connected at the hip.
Don't believe everything you think.
geospyder

Postby Mojojita » Sat Jul 31, 2010 4:14 pm

geekster wrote:For empty-nester parents, Burning Man could be a great way to bond with the kids as adults. I left home when I was 17 and except for a couple of years in the mid 1980's, never lived closer than 3000 miles to home after 17 until I went home in the early 90's. The time spent with Pop in my 30's (he in his 50's) was amazing. He was so much different from the perspective of an adult than how I remembered him and thought of him prior to that time.

Yep - I think it is rare that young adults really WANT to vacation with the folks. We don't have that problem. I buy their tickets and feed 'em and we get a built in camp work force. It wouldn't be nearly as much fun without them......they contribute to the delinquency of their parents.
Mojojita

Postby eLPea » Thu Aug 12, 2010 4:18 pm

[quote="Mojojita"] [quote="geekster"]For empty-nester parents, Burning Man could be a great way to bond with the kids as adults. I left home when I was 17 and except for a couple of years in the mid 1980's, never lived closer than 3000 miles to home after 17 until I went home in the early 90's. The time spent with Pop in my 30's (he in his 50's) was amazing. He was so much different from the perspective of an adult than how I remembered him and thought of him prior to that time.[/quote]

Yep - I think it is rare that young adults really WANT to vacation with the folks. We don't have that problem. I buy their tickets and feed 'em and we get a built in camp work force. It wouldn't be nearly as much fun without them......they contribute to the delinquency of their parents.[/quote]

And all of us Jungle Kids would be lost without our momma mojo... <3
eLPea

Postby RangerTurtleDove » Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:03 pm

My parents brought ME to burning man! And I can never thank them enough, even if it did take about 5 or 6 years of convincing, and a gifted ticket from my Uncle!
RangerTurtleDove

Postby Servo_Cerveau » Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:44 pm

This is really encouraging!

I was a virgin last year, and when I came home my dad, uncle and brother were all super-excited to come this year. (I'm 30, brother is 33, uncle is late-40s and my dad is mid-fifties)

I just sent out the first "Hey guys! Lets start planning this!" email and am waiting to hear back. I know my dad's into it, I just hope that my uncle comes along.

Should be the best family vacation ever! My dad's an enginner and my uncle is ex-air force, so they'll be able to handle it and I think they're really going to get into the whole shade-structure construction thing.

We've also survived some truly disastrous/miserable camping trips up north, so that part shouldn't be too bad either.
Servo_Cerveau

Shade

Postby FIGJAM » Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:06 pm

Heres a sample, for ideas.

"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby LindseyRaeFace » Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:14 pm

My dad is so rad, I got home from my first burn and they had Tivo'd a porgram on BM with tons of art etc. They wanted to understand what I was talking about when I got back :)

His buddy's camp with Destiny Loungue and go every year, I think he'd be perfect for it. He's a totaly photo dork, loves taking pictures of random cool things, looooves finding tiny bars and things hes never seen, loves sunsets and beauitful nature scenes, riding his bike, (nake girls haha). I think if the money is there he might go, I want to get in touch with his friends from Destinly Longue and have them peer rpessure him a bit ;)

He is known for tellins the smae story a million times... Maybe this is abad idea ^_^
LindseyRaeFace

Postby LindseyRaeFace » Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:16 pm

Balls- Dupp post. Sorry
LindseyRaeFace

Dad's and Kids.

Postby Rev.T » Fri Feb 11, 2011 7:10 am

I had two of my kids at the Burn last year. My Baby Boy Sam who is in his mid 20's and an experienced Burner and my Lovely daughter Terena who is in her 40's and was a Virgin.
Big fun. I see it as a great family adventure.
I'd take my Dad, but at 88 I don't think he could handle it.
Rev T. :lol:
"Once you accept the fact that most of your neighbors are insane, you'll be better off"
Mark Twain
Rev.T

Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Bubble vamp

Postby TomServo » Fri Feb 11, 2011 7:54 am

My sons never been...per his mom. But he shot his first AK in the desert and somehow, managed to get his bike stuck in the mud, at Spring clean up. [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=un2EfjEJAOA[/youtube]

My Dad likes Glenn Beck, and i wont subject you to that shit.
anything worth doing..is worth overdoing

Vor Gebrauch Sprengkapsel einsetzen
TomServo

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: BloodBath&Beyond

Postby lucky420 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:35 pm

2 of my kids (21 &22 now) and I experienced our virgin burn together last year. We had a blast, I wouldn't have wanted to experience it without them. I purchased their tickets for them this year and am looking forward to an even better time...
lucky420

Burning Since: I'm not sure
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Postby puffdaherb » Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:11 pm

Im 17 and i convinced my dad to go this year. hahah
puffdaherb

Re: .

Postby ibdave » Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:18 am

puffdaherb wrote:Im 17 and i convinced my dad to go this year. hahah

Good deal... Get him reading all the 1st timers info also...

welcome home... 8) 8) 8)
I was Born OK the 1st Time....

Don't bring defaultia to Burning Man, take Burning Man to defaultia...... graidawg
ibdave

Burning Since: 1998

Return to Experiences at Burning Man