safety concerns for a solo female burner..?

Share your pictures and video. Tell us about the sights, sounds, and scents, as well as the rumors and truths found at Burning Man.

Postby gyre » Mon Jul 19, 2010 10:35 am

Do any of you guys have links to these gassing stories?

While it is possible in theory, it is a really elaborate thing to do, and very difficult to do effectively and safely, unless you don't care about killing someone.
I'm very dubious about it being a common occurrence.

And while I can't claim to understand the motives of any rapist, it seems like the playa would be a very risky place for committing rape, although even a place like the esplanade can be isolated at certain times.
gyre

Postby curiousgnate » Mon Jul 19, 2010 9:57 pm

i don't believe nor have i heard of gassing tents and raping people. conceivable maybe true i doubt it.
Creating Peace Through Anarchy Every Day!!! Stagger for life!
curiousgnate

Postby dr.placebo » Mon Jul 19, 2010 10:43 pm

While I work with a group (Bureau of Erotic Discourse) that has a goal of reducing sexual assault on the playa, I will say that a lot of the scare stories that get passed around are just scare stories. As one might expect with a city of over 40000 people there have been rapes reported over the past years, but it is generally thought that the rate of all violent crime in BRC is less than the average American city of 40000. I've never heard a story about gassing people in their tents on the playa (this thread is the first I've heard of it as a concern).

I'm sorry that you found the BED site hard to navigate. I'll pass that along. The site does give info about our 2010 workshops on the playa, and we invite anyone to go to one, or to visit us at DOTA (Dept. of Tethered Aviation) on Ring Road.
dr.placebo

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Cleu Camp

I'll try beds site again

Postby moonrise » Mon Jul 19, 2010 11:34 pm

I wil try beds site again.

btw, I only bugged out because this acually happened next door to me 15+ years ago in the default world....and it was a man doing it to another man....all very strange and well you can fill in the dots.

btw, I am a man myself, I'd not worry at all but I must protect my touch n go bad back. I'm considering joining a camp, waiting and looking into details about that. Got any suggestions? I'm arriving Thursday eve and leaving Sunday while the temple burns, to and from reno area.

I will particpate for sure....dressed in my red tux at night I plan to bring my edible fire dust and do some fantastic cocktail flambes with rum and coffee or just enhance a camp fire here n there....it's quite a show and the flames can go as high as 5 to 15 tall! I can do curtains of fire and also big explosions with big mushroom clouds, the people are Wowed and usually cheer me on..... and I am testing adding more colors to this ancient recipe. I will also bring some fire dust in baggies to gift and teach burners how to use it...it's easy once you get the hang of it...about 5 to 10 minutes after watching me while i explain....I'm hoping to bring about 20 pounds this year!

some time in the future (2012) I hope to do an art installation...this year just spontaneaous shows are my plan!
I'm the MAN in a truck, burner who is stuck, you're in luck! I'll whip out my BIG tow chain and not charge you, not even one lousy buck!
moonrise

Postby gyre » Mon Jul 19, 2010 11:43 pm

News reports are often wildly wrong.
Any direct information about using gas, or was that maybe an interpretation?

For safety I would just recommend the obvious.
Maintain awareness.

And I would still suggest the pepperblaster as a basic self defense device.
Perfect for a crazy drunk that might not intend to be a lethal threat, but may threaten your physical health.
Should work even on the playa, though I wouldn't expect full range in wind.

Chances are you won't have an issue.
No harm done being prepared.

I wish you could make the first part of the week.
Best part.
gyre

Postby Fire_Moose » Tue Jul 20, 2010 7:19 am

I'm afraid I may have started these gas rumors. In '08 I went to bed with this lovely lady and i had the WORST farts all night it took me a good 45 minutes of slapping her to wake her up.....
2K8 Burning Man Virgin 2K11 Camp Envy
2K9 Camp Envy 2k12 Fucking Flamingoes
2k10 Stag Camp 2k13 Camp Envy
Fire_Moose

Postby ygmir » Tue Jul 20, 2010 7:21 am

*wondering how you can "wake up" something inflatable*
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Postby C.f.M. » Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:11 am

GETITITSANINFLATABLEBEAVER.

vagina.
C.f.M.

Burning Since: 2009

Postby Fire_Moose » Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:15 am

/lust

Sooo much cushion!
Fire_Moose

Postby Elderberry » Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:20 am

Or you could camp in a gay camp! Lots of hot guys to look out for you and none of them would be interested in having sex with you! LOL ;)

JK
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
Elderberry

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby C.f.M. » Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:27 am

Here's a tip, don't solemnly inform people "It's not rape if you yell surprise."

They might decide to ambush you in your tent at dawn yelling SURPRISE and jumping in your bed with you.

Then they pass out all over the floor and you have to step over them to leave in the morning.
C.f.M.

Postby funkjunkie » Thu Aug 12, 2010 1:35 pm

Heya Chick

I am a 25 yr old Australian female. At this stage, unless I can recruit anyone else to take her place, the friend who I was traveling with can no longer make it to BM due to University.

I have never been to BM and would like to make contacts and friends, too. I am traveling in a large van and have camping equipment and so forth for the event. If you would like to get in contact, please contact me through my email junkorfunk@gmail.com

I am traveling to BM via Georgia, Tennessee, Arkansa, Texas, New Mexico and Utah if you're interested?

Peace.
mucho lovereth,

funkjunkie
funkjunkie

Postby TomServo » Thu Aug 12, 2010 10:36 pm

Don't accept mixed drinks with cranberry juice. We had a girl arrive at our camp, who had been slipped GHB. Along with the alcohol she consumed, we had to take her to the med tent. I'm told cranberry masks the flavor.
anything worth doing is worth overdoing..
TomServo

Camp Name: BloodBath&Beyond

Postby C.f.M. » Fri Aug 13, 2010 6:05 am

Stay out of the back of pick-up trucks.

And avoid people who have been in unrequited love with you for more than five years.

Atlanta, Ga., has a thriving burner scene. There's several in Chattanooga, too, if you find yourself looking for a place to stay at some point.
C.f.M.

Postby junglesmacks » Fri Aug 13, 2010 7:39 pm

TomServo wrote:Don't accept mixed drinks with cranberry juice. We had a girl arrive at our camp, who had been slipped GHB. Along with the alcohol she consumed, we had to take her to the med tent. I'm told cranberry masks the flavor.

Whoa. The one time in my life that I was slipped GHB, it was in a cran-vodka. Innnnnnnnnnteresting. I mean, I ordered it and all.. but still. That's just wierd.
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
junglesmacks

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby mudpuppy000 » Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:58 pm

junglesmacks wrote:
TomServo wrote:Don't accept mixed drinks with cranberry juice. We had a girl arrive at our camp, who had been slipped GHB. Along with the alcohol she consumed, we had to take her to the med tent. I'm told cranberry masks the flavor.

Whoa. The one time in my life that I was slipped GHB, it was in a cran-vodka. Innnnnnnnnnteresting. I mean, I ordered it and all.. but still. That's just wierd.

Hmm, maybe I'll leave the cranberry juice at home, lol.
mudpuppy000

Camp Name: Orphan Endorphin

Postby C.f.M. » Sat Aug 14, 2010 6:12 am

That's just a very common combo (cranberry and vodka).
C.f.M.

Postby Fire_Moose » Sun Aug 15, 2010 2:24 pm

...CApe Cod is it?
Fire_Moose

Postby dnightshade » Tue Aug 17, 2010 7:35 pm

Sure there are dangers camping at any festival alone especially if you're a women... however one the safest and most relaxing festival I've been to would be burning man... only one that might top it is a regional burn we have here. That's only because how tightly knit the community is...

My point being most people aren't assholes. There are some assholes. However, just be wary of those people and you should be fine. Majority of people aren't going to slip stuff in your drink unless you want it. Most people will look out for you if you're in need of assistance. That's excluding the rangers and other people that volunteer at burning man to do just that. Make friends... it's easy to do. Find a decent group of people to be around. Usually surprising enough if you search hard enough you can find a friend of a friend of a friend that has gone to burning man and knows someone going this year. Even having that one person at beginning of trip might make you feel that much better.

It's always good to camp with a camp your first time if you are going alone. If you don't want to do that you should still be fine. Just keep your valuables some place safe not in open. I only knew one person who got something stolen from them last year and it was because they left their wedding ring on the crate outside their tent in a well lit area over night off of esplande.

Your bike should be biggest concern. Keeping it lock is key especially at night near dance areas. If you're just running to porta potties for a second during mid day... not likely to be an issue.

As far as male danger... if you don't want it... not usually an issue. If you have a problem don't be afraid to get help. Almost anyone there will help you if your in need.

One night I ran out of water in desert... I was on other side camp and parch... would've been at least a ten minute drive. I made friends with some local campers and they hooked me up with water and snacks. It's just the mentality of a lot people there.

Always be careful. Don't worry too much. As long as you have a decent head on your shoulders you'll be fine.
dnightshade

Postby theCryptofishist » Tue Aug 17, 2010 7:41 pm

dnightshade wrote:Almost anyone there will help you if your in need.

I can get pretty snarky about "community" and the whole "burners are better than other people" memes, but on-playa people are willing to help in all sorts of ways. If you can yell, someone will come running.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby Stitch » Wed Aug 18, 2010 8:11 am

Don't accept mixed drinks with cranberry juice.

Yeah some glittery asshole sparkle pony insisted on giving me a mixer for my drink and took the liberty of pouring diet cranberry into my cup of Maker's Mark. What a waste!
Stitch

Postby Dr. Pyro » Wed Aug 18, 2010 8:29 am

Death is too good for people like that.

Makers Mark should be drank straight up. Period.
Dr. Pyro

Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro

Postby Boijoy » Wed Aug 18, 2010 8:33 am

ygmir wrote:*wondering how you can "wake up" something inflatable*

:lol: :lol: :roll: :lol:
don't forget to floss
Boijoy

Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Metro Mart

Postby Lassen Forge » Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:14 am

Stitch wrote:

Yeah some glittery asshole sparkle pony insisted on giving me a mixer for my drink and took the liberty of pouring diet cranberry into my cup of Maker's Mark. What a waste!

Somehow I think I would have tripepd on something, anything, sending the violation of Makers unto the pony.

Bleah. Ug. Gag.

I *have* used Makers for certain mixed drinks... say, a Manhattan... and my most recent creation works really well with Makers (only because that's all I drink in the way of bourbon, and was feeling creative - ended up being a +1 creation) but might be equally good using a rye or somesuch, but to shamelessly adulterate a fine sipping whiskey with - gag - diet cranberry???

Please allow me to continue on a thread posted elsewhere…

Thou shalt not take the burn of the man in vain, nor shall ye allot the unworthy the space behind the bar, especially shall thou not allowest the sparkle pony to tend unto the bar, for they are bothersome and an annoyance, and shall force upon the masses evil concoctions and ruinsome beverage, and shall further make unclean the palates of the burner; lo, ye shall cast such unclean ones from the enclaves of the bar and cast them out unto the realm of center camp, and from there cast them beyond the trash fence…

Letusvindacateus 16:12-19
Lassen Forge

Location: Where it's always... Wednesday. Don't lose your head over it.

you were duped.

Postby Simon of the Playa » Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:22 am

Stitch wrote:

sure, throw the whole herd out because of a few.

how do you know it wasn't a false flag operation? It is not above our opponents and detractors to dress and play the part, possibly even enjoying themselves, all the while harboring hateful rhetoric and obviously bad x pills.

I, for one, would never Drink Makers any way but Neat, unless it involved a handful of tropical fruit skittles at the bottom of the glass.
fuck you, it's magic

it's not a fucking festival, it's a PROJECT.

A gift for the Playa

THIS YEARS POSTERS

2015 posters
Simon of the Playa

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Postby Boijoy » Wed Aug 18, 2010 10:09 am

those aren't skittles. tehehehehehe..
Simon was dosed,,, Simon was dosed,,, tra la la la la..
ok, once he passes out, let put some pink furr boot covers on him & glitter eye shadow. :)
don't forget to floss
Boijoy

Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Metro Mart

Postby sandypandy » Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:27 am

keep in mind that burning man is a sampling of regular society. in regular society, it is understood that all men are predators, thus potential rapists and pedophiles.

although not ALL men are rapists and pedophiles, in the interest of safety (even at burning man), it's safest to assume that they are (as they ALL have this potential).

also, it's safest to assume that when a man at burning man offers a woman a drink, that drink is laced with GHB. and ladies, if the drink you prepared yourself does not have child-proof lid, assume the men around are each carrying a supply of GHB and are waiting for you to turn your head of leave the drink unattended, so they can drug you; drag you into the darkness and rape you.

but let's assume, ladies, that you somehow survive burning man without being drugged & raped in the traditional sense. if that guy you meet and choose to have consensual sex with is not 100% honest about his feelings towards you and his future intentions - that's rape also. so if he doesn't come by your camp later in the week like he promised, immediately contact a law enforcement officer so they can begin the manhunt. in fact, consider bringing in your entire camp and even neighboring camps in on the hunt. you'll find most burner men willing to hunt down their own on the word of any damsel with a sniffly nose.

also, if you have a little too much to drink out there and become intoxicated, any sex fails to be consensual sex - thus, rape. as a further safety tip: alcohol absolves you from responsibility of your actions (sorry, guys! ladies only).

try not to think of the fact that the men you accuse of rape will probably go to jail for 25 years and be repeatedly sodomized and perhaps killed. after all - they're just men. the important thing is the civil case you'll be filing - you get to take all their assets. don't get even, ladies - get everything!

have fun at burning man!
sandypandy

Postby Lassen Forge » Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:06 pm

Wow... Issues... Yikes.

Other than the lidded cup idea (which is recommended for everyone, btw) the picture of gloom and doom is pretty... wow... dark and foreboding?

If I went around harboring that, I'd be scared to death to walk outside my own door.

True, BRC is a city in every sense of the word, but OTOH if you use regular caution at BRC (like you do in everyday life, or at least while clubbing) you'll have the same issues you do the other 51 weeks out of the year.

You're a pretty scary woman. Yeah, I know, there ARE predators out there, just like bike thieves, beaters, idiots, drunks, etc... but I also take responsibility in my life, not schluff it onto the old and burned out stereotype of "If it has a penis it's only intrest will be to rape and kill me".

Yeah, I've had some nasty shit happen to me, too, but I blame it on the abberations of society, not a general "all men are pricks" attitude. Sorry, Sandy, but you don't have my vote on this one.

bb
Lassen Forge

Location: Where it's always... Wednesday. Don't lose your head over it.

Postby Fire_Moose » Wed Aug 18, 2010 1:25 pm

So you gonna walk back to yer camp alone later?
Fire_Moose

Postby Stitch » Wed Aug 18, 2010 1:50 pm

keep in mind that burning man is a sampling of regular society. in regular society, it is understood that all men are predators, thus potential rapists and pedophiles.

Oh come on now. Being a bit alarmist aren't we?

I walked around alone with my bits hanging out all week and the creepiest person to approach me was an old eastern european man who said "nice tits, real sexy" and offered me a tamale. He was harmless.
Stitch

PreviousNext

Return to Experiences at Burning Man