safety concerns for a solo female burner..?

Share your pictures and video. Tell us about the sights, sounds, and scents, as well as the rumors and truths found at Burning Man.

safety concerns for a solo female burner..?

Postby Ithaca » Fri Jul 16, 2010 10:09 pm

I am planning to camp solo and this year will also be my first burn.
I really didnt give much thought to it, but my mom (yes, my mom... even though i am an adult, she still gets to have a voice in the things i do..)
expressed a lot of concern for just general safety.
things like:

-not having someone that i know and trust to just "have my back", make sure im ingesting enough food and water etc etc

-having stuff get stolen from my camp when im not there

-getting something slipped into my drink?! (this happened to me at a bar in chicago a few years ago, so i know it can happen anywhere)

-safety regarding sleeping in my tent alone
etc etc etc

does anyone have an good input about these kinds of issues?
are these valid concerns? whats a girl to do?

final note: i do have a possible back up plan, should i feel uncertain at anytime. i have an open invitation to camp with BWOB from chicago :)

thanks!
Ithaca
Ithaca

Postby ibdave » Fri Jul 16, 2010 10:13 pm

I would jump all over the invite to camp with the burners without borders group. Talk about a great group of burners... This our newbi burners will be the best plan for your 1st time out... i know, i know... 8) 8) 8) 8)

oh, welcome home.... :D :D :D
I was Born OK the 1st Time....

Don't bring defaultia to Burning Man, take Burning Man to defaultia...... graidawg
ibdave

Burning Since: 1998

Re: safety concerns for a solo female burner..?

Postby Eric » Fri Jul 16, 2010 10:30 pm

Ithaca wrote:i have an open invitation to camp with BWOB from chicago

I second ibdave. Having a camp as a base will make your trip much more relaxing, and will give you more time to actually enjoy the burn without second guessing everything.

Next year if you want to camp alone you'll have a better idea of what to expect.

Oh- bring a sippy cup! This is covered in other threads, but people do get dosed & a sealed drinking cup for the bars is highly recommended (you'll want your own drinking mug anyway)
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

Regarding Ticket Scammers and Scalpers

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly
Eric

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby This Woman » Fri Jul 16, 2010 11:08 pm

If you want to go alone; go alone. Your mom’s concerns are valid, as they would be in any city of 50k. In general, burners probably compare better as a group than typical cities of the same size when it comes to crime rates, but BRC criminals are probably better at what they do too. They have to plan their crimes, and moving their stolen goodies, and criminal selves onto and off of a closed event.

There are people you haven’t met yet that have your back. When you find your spot (take your time for the right spot) introduce yourself to your neighbors, and not just the immediate ones. Know where the nearest med and ranger posts are.

Have a sippy cup with a lid, and keep it on you. Monitor your alcohol/drug intake and keep hydrated (even mild dehydration can be disorienting).

Lock your bike. Stuff might get stolen. Don’t take anything you can’t bear to lose. Keep a hammer or mace by your bed.

Be aware of your surroundings and trust your instincts and don’t get embarrassed if you don’t like someone or feel a sudden desire to run away or anything.

One thing about the playa is that there is a lot of experimentation with sexual mores, so a person might not necessarily think you were in danger just because someone looks like they are coercing you. If you find yourself in a dangerous situation do whatever you can to alert nearby people that you have not consented to anything.

I don’t have a hammer, and I’ve been completely wasted, but I'm lax. I keep my cup on me for the most part, but it’s got no lid. I do lock my bike. My tent has never been robbed, but I have lost a bike or two.
The Liver's End ~ Where the locals go.
This Woman

Burning Since: 1995

Postby Ithaca » Fri Jul 16, 2010 11:08 pm

thanks ibdave and eric for your replies!

sippy cup is a good idea. i have a lidded hot drink mug for coffee type stuff, and my water bottles, but i need to put a "fun drinks" cup on my list

i think i will camp with the BWOB peeps. that way i can still be free to experience the burn on my own, independently and get the most out of it, but wont be so worried about my solo tent and all that other stuff.

:)
Ithaca
Ithaca

Postby Sham » Sat Jul 17, 2010 1:37 am

Think of this event as living in a "low crime area". You still need to take precautions and keep all valubles locked in your car and out of sight. Hide all valuable and remove your GPS from the window.
The same goes for yourself--don't let your guard down because you think this place is a utopia. Stay in control of your mind alterations and keep new friends close for safety.
Bikes get borrowed by lazy people not wanting to walk miles back to their camp, so keep your bike locked up when it's not be ridden.
I would feel comfortable letting my mother explore BRC on her own, but would tell her not to leave her pocket book in her shopping cart unattended!
Things DO happen here, but the worst that's happend to me in all the years I have been attending, was someone walked off with an unopened bottle of expensive vodka. My fault, left it sitting out and should have locked it up.
Sham

Postby gyre » Sat Jul 17, 2010 7:02 am

If you want an edge, I suggest the pepperblaster.
Superior to tear gas aerosol.
Good to carry with your guns in the real world.

The old model is on discount at cabela's, or there is the new model.
There is a pouch available too.
Details on the kimber site.
Just don't expect it to be more than it is.

There is a high performance model too.
A good option for those living in areas of california that aren't allowed personal security.

It's pretty safe out there, but don't be stupid.
gyre

Postby ygmir » Sat Jul 17, 2010 7:16 am

Shambala wrote:Think of this event as living in a "low crime area". You still need to take precautions and keep all valubles locked in your car and out of sight. Hide all valuable and remove your GPS from the window.
The same goes for yourself--don't let your guard down because you think this place is a utopia. Stay in control of your mind alterations and keep new friends close for safety.
Bikes get borrowed by lazy people not wanting to walk miles back to their camp, so keep your bike locked up when it's not be ridden.
I would feel comfortable letting my mother explore BRC on her own, but would tell her not to leave her pocket book in her shopping cart unattended!
Things DO happen here, but the worst that's happend to me in all the years I have been attending, was someone walked off with an unopened bottle of expensive vodka. My fault, left it sitting out and should have locked it up.

I take some issue with that, Shambala:
It's not your "fault" someone stole your stuff...........
they're just fucking thieves, and, should learn through pain, not to do that.
I suppose, my issue, is so many people remove the "guilt" from a perp. since, said ner-do-well will not accept responsibility. And, for whatever reason, assign it to the victim........

"oh, it was her fault for being in the wrong area"
"oh, it's my fault, I shouldn't leave the keys in my car"
"it was your fault, for not hiding when you entered your PIN".

Nope, to me, the "fault" lies directly on the scofflaw......the victim, is just that.

*rant off*
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Postby gyre » Sat Jul 17, 2010 7:35 am

I'm told that liquor left in a place that might be burglarized, with epicac or soap added, leaves an impression, when guilt doesn't.
gyre

Postby ygmir » Sat Jul 17, 2010 7:52 am

gyre wrote:I'm told that liquor left in a place that might be burglarized, with epicac or soap added, leaves an impression, when guilt doesn't.

see,
that's just the sort of "out of the box" thinking, that keeps you on the top of the heap.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Postby Elorrum » Sat Jul 17, 2010 8:06 am

I am a solo female burner. 4th yr. this year. no worries. I feel safe. Same as camping in a campground. Being on your own comes with the added responsibility of taking care of yourself. This is called self reliance, and I find it wonderful. Meet your neighbors, and it's perfectly fine, same as in a neighborhood, to say that you are on your way out. If somebody came and started unloading your camp... they would take notice. If somebody was ransacking my neighbors camp, I would be watching out for them as well. Trust your gut, same as in the real world. Walk away if it doesn't feel right. Any sound of alarm anywhere on the playa would bring people to your aid I am certain. Everyone should have their gear arranged in a way that doesn't encourage thieves. Keep valuables locked in your car. Don't leave things you would miss out in plain sight. Lock your bike. Don't bring anything that is irreplaceable to you: Most likely it is going to get ruined by the dust, but losing it, or having it taken can happen too. It's easy to find safe party buddies in your neighborhood, if you don't want to wander alone.
Elorrum

Postby ibdave » Sat Jul 17, 2010 12:56 pm

gyre wrote:If you want an edge, I suggest the pepperblaster.
Superior to tear gas aerosol.
Good to carry with your guns in the real world.

The old model is on discount at cabela's, or there is the new model.
There is a pouch available too.
Details on the kimber site.
Just don't expect it to be more than it is.

There is a high performance model too.
A good option for those living in areas of california that aren't allowed personal security.

It's pretty safe out there, but don't be stupid.

gyre, you crack me up..... 8) 8) 8)
I was Born OK the 1st Time....

Don't bring defaultia to Burning Man, take Burning Man to defaultia...... graidawg
ibdave

Burning Since: 1998

Postby Apollonaris Zeus » Sat Jul 17, 2010 4:47 pm

I would buy a tent that you can lock from the inside if you are camping alone. There has been an increase of attackers using ether or other gases to rape people while they sleep. Burning Man is no different and it is that kind of event that attracts the psychopath! Being Male or female makes no difference.

Staying in a camp can give you a degree of additional safety if there are night watchmen or just people hanging out.

Everything at burning man is not what it appears to be!

Still as people have already stated it not much worse then your neighborhood!

Have fun!

AIIZ
Apollonaris Zeus

Postby Elorrum » Sun Jul 18, 2010 8:13 am

oh what a fool I've Been!!! *cowers in corner worrying about gas and ether rape* thanks for the info AZ, you have fun too!
Elorrum

Postby ygmir » Sun Jul 18, 2010 8:37 am

fear not, M'lady.........

YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Postby Elorrum » Sun Jul 18, 2010 8:43 am

Elorrum

Postby Dr Helix » Sun Jul 18, 2010 9:06 am

Worry not for Elorrum. She sleeps with #9 rebar. Woe to any who would disturb her slumber.
"Love, Rockets and write when you get work"
Dr Helix

Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Interaction Cafe

Postby ygmir » Sun Jul 18, 2010 9:30 am

Dr Helix wrote:Worry not for Elorrum. She sleeps with #9 rebar. Woe to any who would disturb her slumber.

*shuddering due to repressed off-color joke urges*
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Postby Elorrum » Sun Jul 18, 2010 9:37 am

and if I said I slept with a hickey bar nearby, what would you think of that?
Elorrum

Postby dr.placebo » Sun Jul 18, 2010 10:02 am

Elorrum has it right. If you want to increase your safety, then get to know your neighbors. Odds are that at least some of them will be friendly, reliable, and will be happy to watch out for you. In return, watch out for them.

Your best defense is making a loud noise. People do come and check things out. I'll give a very quick plug here for the BED workshops, where we have a section about safety on the playa:

http://www.bureauoferoticdiscourse.org

Of course, bad things can happen on the playa. Bad things can happen if you stay home, including missing what happens on the playa.
dr.placebo

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Cleu Camp

Postby ygmir » Sun Jul 18, 2010 10:18 am

Elorrum wrote:and if I said I slept with a hickey bar nearby, what would you think of that?

seems a self answering question...........*chuckling*..........just teasin'.........
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Postby Elorrum » Sun Jul 18, 2010 10:24 am

perhaps a theme camp?
Elorrum

Postby ygmir » Sun Jul 18, 2010 10:26 am

you, are brilliant.........but, I bet Trishntek's camp is close............hahahaaha
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Postby Dr Helix » Sun Jul 18, 2010 5:23 pm

I'd say you were a bit bent
"Love, Rockets and write when you get work"
Dr Helix

Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Interaction Cafe

Postby Elorrum » Sun Jul 18, 2010 7:03 pm

Dr Helix wrote:I'd say you were a bit bent

ROFL
Elorrum

Ithaca Eric This Woman & everyone else in this thread so

Postby moonrise » Mon Jul 19, 2010 2:00 am

Thanks for the good advice! I'll try to explain my situation without being long winded...not easy though, please try to understand.

I live just under a few hours away from Gerlach and I've finally been able to arrange to go to Burningman 2010 for a short trip, Thursday - Sunday.

I will be going by myself and I am recovering from a severe back injury and consequent botched back surgery, done by a quack surgeon, this caused serious damage (the non-quack docs think it's possibly nerve damage and this causes chronic pain issues etc)

It's taken me ten years of therapy to go from having paralyzed legs to the ability to walk again and even ride my old bike for short-ish distances...yea!

I am an artist and I'm very excited to go, if even just for the last four days.

Everything seemed like standard precautions posted on this thread until I saw the ether or gas rape comments....bells, whistles, alarms, the color red, and memories of that happening to our neighbor and dear pal, a guy no less, went off in my head.

It tore the town apart, not to mention our happy pal moved away never to be seen again. The rapist, another guy!, used some sort of laughing gas and filled the sleeping victims bedroom with gas with a hose under the doorway and this apparently went on for quite a long time. (dry mouth and a sore arse finally caused the victim to see a doctor who figured it all out, then cops, cameras bla bla they caught him and off to the gray bar hotel he went)

A tent, locking or not, is just another bedroom which could be cut with a razor and filled with gas much the same way as the gassing rapist did to our pal. Any weapon is useless if you are gassed unconcious.

I won't let this deter me from going to burningman 2010, ever, or any future burn, 2011, 2012 et cetera but it seems I might need some advice because I will not be in a camp, so far...I have planned to keep it simple and tent it and just grab a few hours of sleep late, late at night.

I just found out I can go and it's all very last minute (btw, it usually takes me 20 to 40xs longer to do many common things due to pain and the daily routine of breaking up scar tissue in my spine, every morning, from an injury that tries but can never heal) I have difficulty doing heavy lifting and also am heavily drugged with pain meds...(I cannot even stay awake reliably at night as a guard or whatever and I don't exactly want to burden a camp if I am suddenly stricken with a pain increase, it's a roller coaster of up n down pain waves 24/7 for me..I cannot be counted on to do much physical stuff)

Due to the pain meds, I am essentially already half unconcious, I know this isn't the best scenario...I will drive to the playa in serious pain but sober! and take extra meds after I park. I am able to function fairly normally, after the scars break up and I move around every morning....however gas or ether would or could kill me if mixed with my medication not to mention rape would cause re-injury to my spine and of course there's the whole mental health issue a victim would suffer...duh.

I checked out the b e d s website mentioned but it looked unused since 2006 and was difficult to navigate. There was another sign up on b e d s for a healer/the founder? doctor? but not sure about that, it was plastered with tons and tons of ads...I backed out (for now)

Is there some sort of camp that is secure that I could possibly join? I feel wierd since my health and J O B only allows me to arrive on Thurs eve and leave while the temple burns and I'm such an unpredictable pain sufferer...sooo frustrating!

Any physical attack on my person while unconcious could paralyze me for another agonizing ten+ years. Other than sleeping in a vault (like Larry Flint, Hustler mag publisher) or my roasting hot SUV or renting an RV (I cannot afford an RV) I'm wondering how I can be 99.99% safe. The bad people can steal things, who cares, but ether or gas type rape is real, it does happen and the damaging effect it causes cannot be replaced at wal mart.

I am hesitant to post this, gazillions of people could read it and become concerned for their own welfare and miss the burn. To the gazillions of people out there....please note; My situation is unique, most of you come for the week and join camps and travel with others and have RV's. I am a last minute short trip brave soul who simply wants to protect myself from the one in a zillion chance of being re-injured.

I love all the burners! For many many years I have always given them rides when they are stuck or hitchiking, I have donated and sent watermelons in the past...now I can finally go! Yea!

BTW, I drove to the playa last week for the fun of it....met some great people, got a flat tire, changed it myself since there's no cel ph recep = no triple A!!!!, the tranny started to slip in the 112 degree heat, bought a DPW guy a drink who helped me check the tranny/fluid and we tapped the dust out of my air filter and once the sun went down the tranny got happy again.

Back on track, if anyone can offer suggestions, I would appreciate the advice.

ps I have sleep apnea, I need to wear a mask hooked up to a small machine that just blows air. It has a filter and after reading tents can get an inch or two of dust inside, I may decide to sleep for 3 to 4 hours late late at night in my suv...doesn't it get cold late late at night? That could work very well for my situation. If I tent it, the dust could screw up the cpap machine even though it has small foam filters (I'll bring extra filters with me)

Sheesh! Perhaps my user name should be "trainwreck" hahaha....but I do enjoy a good moonrise!

Thank You! :?
I'm the MAN in a truck, burner who is stuck, you're in luck! I'll whip out my BIG tow chain and not charge you, not even one lousy buck!
moonrise

PS

Postby moonrise » Mon Jul 19, 2010 2:14 am

My SUV is old...no gps or much to steal...but I'm curious isn't it rude to accept a drink and hand someone a sealed cup or my own mug? Also, what stops anyone offering a drink from pouring from a dosed bottle?
I'm the MAN in a truck, burner who is stuck, you're in luck! I'll whip out my BIG tow chain and not charge you, not even one lousy buck!
moonrise

Re: Ithaca Eric This Woman & everyone else in this threa

Postby Fire_Moose » Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:17 am

moonrise wrote:the tranny started to slip in the 112 degree heat

I got my money back for that once.

To the OP: Tell yer mom to cut the umbilical cord already
2K8 Burning Man Virgin 2K11 Camp Envy
2K9 Camp Envy 2k12 Fucking Flamingoes
2k10 Stag Camp 2k13 Camp Envy
Fire_Moose

Postby theCryptofishist » Mon Jul 19, 2010 9:41 am

I suspect that tents, especially those with mesh windows, don't hold gas very well.
You can accept drinks that are from unopened bottles or cans then opened in your presence. You can carry and say "thank you, I brought my own." Just because soemone offers doesnt' mean you have to accept, and anyone who gets huffy because you care about your personal safety, probably isn't worth hanging with for very long.
IMHO
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Postby This Woman » Mon Jul 19, 2010 10:07 am

Hi Moonrise,

I applaud your perseverance, in healing and making the trek to Burning Man.

There is no way you can 99.99% safe, but then again, I don’t think you can hope for those odds in the default world either.

I don’t think you have to worry about gas in your tent, and sippy cups should alleviate the other sort of drugging. Accept drinks from sealed bottles/cans. I’m a bartender and I’d never be offended by your cautions. I understand you might not be drinking alcohol, but most bars do have something non-alc if only water.

PM me if you can’t find a space. You’re always welcome to camp with us, and we can discuss details, but it is a bar camp, so probably shouldn’t be your first choice (though I’ve always felt very safe there).
The Liver's End ~ Where the locals go.
This Woman

Burning Since: 1995

Next

Return to Experiences at Burning Man