Mutant Vehicles - the Pros and Cons

Share your pictures and video. Tell us about the sights, sounds, and scents, as well as the rumors and truths found at Burning Man.

Postby CaptainNemoOfTheNautilusX » Mon Jul 19, 2010 4:02 pm

My crew and I have operated the Nautilus X for 6 burns, this will be our 7th. In the past I crewed on the Draka to learn the ropes of operating a large MV. It’s helpful to keep in mind and refer to all who board a MV as a “Guestâ€
CaptainNemoOfTheNautilusX

mutant vehicle car jackings? for real?

Postby moonrise » Mon Jul 19, 2010 10:04 pm

is that true? someone could be mutant art car jacked? a delay kill switch would be sweet for that type of behaviour!

i dont have a MV but i do have awesome edible fire dust that i could throw onto the flames coming out of an art car with fire effects...but perhaps that wouldn t be safe enough...i'll be making fire dust merry at camp fires and hopefully some bars that have rum and coffee (flambe cocktails and they taste awesome!)....i can make curtains of flames and big explosions with mushroom clouds...but i'll be VERY respectfull wherever i use the fire dust...especially ASK MV owners and everyone else....like bars and camp fires...i am experienced and can do this safely.

i can t wait to see all the MV's!
I'm the MAN in a truck, burner who is stuck, you're in luck! I'll whip out my BIG tow chain and not charge you, not even one lousy buck!
moonrise

Postby oneeyeddick » Mon Jul 19, 2010 10:08 pm

Edible fire dust?

you mean coffee creamer ?
We have an obligation to make space for everyone, we have no obligation to make that space pleasant.
oneeyeddick

Burning Since: 1996

ancient recipe

Postby moonrise » Mon Jul 19, 2010 10:31 pm

it's an ancient resipe, passed downfrom the romans (who were taught by the estrusceans...not sure how to spell that but they were smarter than the egyptians and left no written records, the romans killed them but got many awesome recipes)

anyway, it ain t creamer...interesting i may test that

it's multi colored and you can put in in your coffee! i was a matire d for many years, i can make falmbes that have flames 5 to 15 high and the curtains of fire are awesome too! also very tall..., so are the explosions and mushroom clouds....i may hook up with some bars at night and do some in a red tux....i worked the luxor in vegas and know my stuff when it comes to this fire show....i can also light my hand on fire and then transfer to a cocktail glass and then work my magic....my arm hairs are already toast from testing adding some new colors to the recipe....i will gift some in baggies (i'm bringing about 10 or 20 pounds!) and teach burners how to use it easily/safely within reason of course!...i also like to teach people how to blow it out of their palm as if blowing a kiss.....then it swirls into beautiful flames...and like i said very safe too if done with caution of course!

i think i may wear a ligh weaight tux with words and fire designs painted and title myself as an "arsonist for hire" ....hahaha...every metropolis needs an arsonist riiiiight? discounts for slum lords btw....it'll be painted in glow paint on my tux... arsonist for hire; call 666-burn (discounts for slum lords) something wild like that! it'll be funny and abit diabolical....for night wear only! gotta see those flames! does anyone do vanilla ice cream? i can also do cherries juiblee and or bananas foster with 5+ foot high falmes....and it tastes awesome too!
i'll need to bring pans and extra supplies if someone is totally into cherries or bananas and has vanilla ice cream...but probably just the camp fires and cocktails will be all i can manage...but you never know....i do like the cherries jubilee edible fire show...tatses and looks soooo gooood... :lol:

this is gonna be FUN!
I'm the MAN in a truck, burner who is stuck, you're in luck! I'll whip out my BIG tow chain and not charge you, not even one lousy buck!
moonrise

Postby gyre » Mon Jul 19, 2010 11:05 pm

You may find this surprizing, but burners are a a bit obsessed with fire.
gyre

I seem made for the fire scene!

Postby moonrise » Tue Jul 20, 2010 1:50 am

Yea, it seems I am gonna fit right in with the fire scenes...it'll be awesome!

I will wear a red tux and advertise some funny fire/metropolis realted stuff in glow paint on it....I also have a real 1940's zoot suit and might bring that along too! can you say fire gangsta!
moonrise

Postby gyre » Tue Jul 20, 2010 2:06 am

Zoot suit would be cool.

From the wars?
gyre

zoot suit

Postby moonrise » Tue Jul 20, 2010 2:44 am

it's a cool gaberdeen slate grey suit....long story short, it's been begging to be used up! to be honest, i am a country loving person but i can deal with a metropolis...so what the heck....i can be "urban" and wear the zoot suit.
i also have a jillion tuxedos from years of fine dining work...i wanna dye them RED and (the shirts, pants vests jackets with tails are all black) and tear some of the sleeves off for a tux shirt vest for daytime wear...and glow paint some hilarious, metropolistic ads and designs on them...it'll be fun to redesign my default work clothes into something interesting not just a "monkey suit" lmao!
i think i even have a tux that is the colors of abalogne...or an insane xmas ornament...it'll be fun to wear them (out) when they turn beige, ok dokey....i have changed careers now so they need usage and why not at the greatest time of my life...my first burn...it'll be fun. my one top hat was half destroyed last halloween though...lol....i have an led one or a i can wear the one that was pulled down over m head by my buddy last halloween...it'll look funny like a tuna can with the lid hnaging on for life. whatever i do, i need to get packin, i don t wanna be a sparklepony! too funny....i know what that is from my burner pal who cannot make it this year. very funny stuff on urban dictionary!
moonrise

Postby gyre » Tue Jul 20, 2010 2:49 am

Just a standard tux is unusual enough.
gyre

Postby Theres Always One » Sat Aug 14, 2010 5:48 pm

Captain Goddammit wrote:
Going out to the trash fence late at night is one of the best things to do on an MV, but be sober and have your ticket. You SHOULD be allowed to be anywhere inside the trash fence, but I've had the cops order me and other MVs away from it, thinking that people are being smuggled in. I've also been randomly stopped by the real police just to check for DMV permit, ID, and level of intoxication. NEVER drive your MV when you've been drinking! People have been stopped and given real DUIs within 50 feet of leaving their camp.

What is the trash fence?
Theres Always One

Postby theCryptofishist » Sat Aug 14, 2010 5:53 pm

Orange construction fence that surround the city (a ways out.) Designates the limits of the event. I guess it collects pieces of trash in heavy winds and tends to hold them there, hence the name.

When they say "Party with 19-year old, nymphomaniac gogo dancers at the trash fence" what they mean is "I think you're a gullible newbies and I'm telling you a lie to amuse myself."
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby Theres Always One » Sat Aug 14, 2010 6:10 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:Orange construction fence that surround the city (a ways out.) Designates the limits of the event. I guess it collects pieces of trash in heavy winds and tends to hold them there, hence the name.

When they say "Party with 19-year old, nymphomaniac gogo dancers at the trash fence" what they mean is "I think you're a gullible newbies and I'm telling you a lie to amuse myself."

:oops:

Does deep playa fall within its perimeter or is deep playa beyond the fence?
Theres Always One

Postby ygmir » Sat Aug 14, 2010 6:12 pm

it should be "within".....if outside, those nasty, yet incredibly sexy and smart perimeter folks will nab you.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Camp Name: qqqq

Postby Isotopia » Sat Aug 14, 2010 6:28 pm

Within the fence.

Usually a reference to going out well past all the art and structures and up to the physical boundary that the fence represents.
Isotopia

Postby Elliot » Sat Aug 14, 2010 6:32 pm

:D
We are trying to educate a burgin here, Ygmir -- "should be" may not be clear enough.

If I may try: "Deep Playa" is within the trash fence. The trash fence is the outer perimeter of the entire Art Festival.

(The trash fence is alarmingly ugly. That bright orange color sticks out like a sore thumb in the lovely scenery of the Playa and the surrounding mountains. I wish the fence were a quieter color. Elliot has spoken.)

Ah... Iso beat me to it. I type too slowly. :lol:
Elliot's Bicycle Service, Camel Saddlery and Beverage Salon 5 & G as before, probably.
Ali Elliot Fy Fasan, proprietor

Caravansary Black Rock 2014

ImageImageImage
Millicent The Bus; pedal-vehicles on Playa and in Kinetic Sculpture Races.
Elliot

Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Elliot’s Bicycle & Beverage Emporium

Postby Eric » Sat Aug 14, 2010 6:35 pm

Theres Always One wrote:
theCryptofishist wrote:Orange construction fence that surround the city (a ways out.) Designates the limits of the event. I guess it collects pieces of trash in heavy winds and tends to hold them there, hence the name.

:oops:

Deep Playa generally refers to the area from either the Man or the Temple out to the trash fence (ie- away from Center Camp)
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

Regarding Ticket Scalpers and Scammers

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
BRC Weekly
Eric

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby ygmir » Sat Aug 14, 2010 7:00 pm

I thought I was clear........dang.
didn't mean to mis-inform.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Postby Elliot » Sat Aug 14, 2010 7:11 pm

Ygmir, I should mention that I enjoy picking on you. :wink:

Eric.... Good definition! Now.... For the life of me I cannot put a name on the "inner" Playa area between the streets and The Man??? (Maybe it's just my Ceremonial Saturday Beer impeding my memory.)
Elliot's Bicycle Service, Camel Saddlery and Beverage Salon 5 & G as before, probably.
Ali Elliot Fy Fasan, proprietor

Caravansary Black Rock 2014

ImageImageImage
Millicent The Bus; pedal-vehicles on Playa and in Kinetic Sculpture Races.
Elliot

Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Elliot’s Bicycle & Beverage Emporium

Postby Eric » Sat Aug 14, 2010 7:25 pm

Elliot wrote:For the life of me I cannot put a name on the "inner" Playa area between the streets and The Man???

Hmm. I don't know if I've ever heard it called anything but "the Playa" or "out towards the Man". Wonder if there is a name for it?

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
BRC Weekly
Eric

Postby theCryptofishist » Sun Aug 15, 2010 9:34 am

"Inner Playa"?
Check the map, it may say. I know I"ve heard something.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Postby ygmir » Sun Aug 15, 2010 9:39 am

Eric wrote:
Elliot wrote:For the life of me I cannot put a name on the "inner" Playa area between the streets and The Man???

Hmm. I don't know if I've ever heard it called anything but "the Playa" or "out towards the Man". Wonder if there is a name for it?

"taint"
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Postby moonrise » Sun Aug 15, 2010 11:04 am

This thread drifted from driving MV's (and disabled burners carts etc)
I've learned what I need...agh...designated driver is me<---- and will need to deal with politely asking no open containers please. i won t have a seperrate "cockpit" hahaha...or "cabin" sooo...hmm..what a nerd i am! not my fault, the open container law is hmmm...silly to me but i can see the legal standpoint and temptation for drivers...plus no idiot tax for me...no thanks to that!

I'm going to a regional thing today! should be cool/(hot!) fire tribe (which one i forget) will perform and i was asked to bring the fire drink....i made a modified version, custom just for BM burners! to be able to do on thier own...they'll love it! i'll gift them some edible fire dust so they can do it themselves...a ranger called me and said he'll be there...wants to see it and i'll give him some and one other tahoe camp leader a little bit...and teach them how to use the stuff safely!

yagmir...never got around to trying the coffee creamer yet! when more time i can test that out but this birgin has half the gear so far and will be shopping and packing like a crazy person (within reason) daily now!

thanks for all the help! see you inside the trash fence this year! finally!
moonrise

Postby Theres Always One » Sun Aug 15, 2010 1:13 pm

moonrise wrote:This thread drifted from driving MV's (and disabled burners carts etc)
I've learned what I need...agh...designated driver is me<---- and will need to deal with politely asking no open containers please. i won t have a seperrate "cockpit" hahaha...or "cabin" sooo...hmm..what a nerd i am! not my fault, the open container law is hmmm...silly to me but i can see the legal standpoint and temptation for drivers...plus no idiot tax for me...no thanks to that!

I'm going to a regional thing today! should be cool/(hot!) fire tribe (which one i forget) will perform and i was asked to bring the fire drink....i made a modified version, custom just for BM burners! to be able to do on thier own...they'll love it! i'll gift them some edible fire dust so they can do it themselves...a ranger called me and said he'll be there...wants to see it and i'll give him some and one other tahoe camp leader a little bit...and teach them how to use the stuff safely!

yagmir...never got around to trying the coffee creamer yet! when more time i can test that out but this birgin has half the gear so far and will be shopping and packing like a crazy person (within reason) daily now!

thanks for all the help! see you inside the trash fence this year! finally!

Sorry for the threadjack.
Theres Always One

Postby Captain Goddammit » Sun Aug 15, 2010 4:33 pm

ygmir wrote:
Eric wrote:

"taint"

HAHAHAHAhahahaha
"Whaoomph! Whaomph! Burbbleburbblepattpattpattpatt... WHAAAAAaaoooaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa........!!!"
Top fuel dragster, by Elliot Naess
Captain Goddammit

Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: Camp I'm going to Hawaii Instead

Postby Theres Always One » Sun Aug 15, 2010 4:38 pm

I'm surprised it took us that long to get there. :)
Theres Always One

Postby Eric » Sun Aug 15, 2010 4:47 pm

ygmir wrote:
Eric wrote:

"taint"

Yggy, have I mentioned I love you? That is comedy.

Eric ShutterSlut
BRC Weekly
Eric

Postby Eric » Sun Aug 15, 2010 5:01 pm

Theres Always One wrote:Sorry for the threadjack.

Don't worry about thread drift- it happens to almost every thread. Once the initial questions been given some serious answers it's pretty much a free for all around here, just like everywhere else on the internets. Anyone who thinks threads shouldn't drift....... right. That'll happen.

Eric ShutterSlut
BRC Weekly
Eric

Postby ygmir » Sun Aug 15, 2010 5:34 pm

Eric wrote:
ygmir wrote:
Eric wrote:

"taint"

Yggy, have I mentioned I love you? That is comedy.

I take that, as high compliment.....with thanks.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Postby factoid » Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:10 am

Pros? Cons? I wouldn't know. But damn, I'm excited.

This will be year-One for XyloVan. http://XyloVan.com

We're not invited to apply as a MV (see this thread: viewtopic.php?p=563258#563258), but we might go for a nighttime permit if I can get the EL wire and Incredibly Stupid Number of Large Chinese Strobe Lights wired up in time.

Looking forward to having people interact with us in our Artery-assigned location, which from what I've read, may be far superior to having to drive around sober looking out for drunks.
factoid

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: Swing City

Great topic, more questions

Postby penrose » Tue Aug 17, 2010 1:27 pm

My MV was invited on a sketch (#1006) but I only got it running this past weekend. Haven't even started arting it up yet. It is made of repurposed bicycle and motorized wheelchair parts and, if the seat I snagged last night works out, will take two passengers plus me. So my questions:

If I'm cozily seated on the bench between my two newest bestest friends, are they truly not allowed to have alcoholic beverages?

Being as it's a heavily modified wheelchair, what documentation do I really need to have on me as I drive it?

I have no idea yet how I will implement anti-theft. I don't want to carry the joystick around in my pocket (one joystick down my pants is enough). Huh, maybe just a bike lock. Okay.

I'm concerned about the alkaline dust getting into the motors but my searches have yielded few if any tales of woe relating to motorized wheelchairs. Maybe I'll just cross my fingers on that one.

I've always been the quiet thinkie type so interactivity will be a challenge but the scene will draw me out.

Thanks for input!
penrose

PreviousNext

Return to Experiences at Burning Man