Thieving burners?

Share your pictures and video. Tell us about the sights, sounds, and scents, as well as the rumors and truths found at Burning Man.

Postby gyre » Thu May 27, 2010 10:40 am

I bought some cheap, chinese, heavy galvanized chain from lowes or home depot.
Decently tough.
Don't expect it to stop anyone determined.
gyre

Postby CapSmashy » Fri Jul 16, 2010 12:42 am

Most thieves are lazy. If you have a heavy looking chain and your neighbor doesn't, they'll hit your neighbor.
CapSmashy

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Terminal City://404 Village Not Found

Postby gyre » Fri Jul 16, 2010 12:47 am

Usually true.

But with good chain you can be sure they won't take anything by cutting the chain.
Thieves are less and less predictable.
gyre

Postby CapSmashy » Fri Jul 16, 2010 12:51 am

I've got a run of good ol American logging chain that would take a torch to cut. I use it to lock my Honda up to the rear axle of my bus with a high security Master padlock.

That reminds me, I need to weld my lockboxes in place inside the bus for valuables.
CapSmashy

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Terminal City://404 Village Not Found

Postby gyre » Fri Jul 16, 2010 1:10 am

Through bolting should be adequate, shouldn't it?

Have you tested that chain?
By design, strapping and lifting chain is easier to cut than the better security stuff.
I thought it was tough until we tested it.
The 80 grade cut like butter by comparison.
Thick enough would be harder to cut, but we could not cut the 6mm hardened chain without destroying tools.
Heavy chain always looks intimidating though.

On a bike, there can be a huge weight saving with better chain too.
I suspect 6mm is okay, but 8mm would stop most cutters.
14mm is available.
gyre

Postby Lassen Forge » Fri Jul 16, 2010 12:13 pm

06 we had the taillight stolen off our MV. Pissed me off as it had sentimental value, which taught me "If you don't want to lose it or see it fucked up don't bring it"... It was my dad's, and I had just restored it for the MV.

Security - I have a lockbox, an old steel footlocker (I need to find that, thank you) that we rebar to the playa from the inside. It has a high security American Lock on it, and would be tough to heist. Has worked so far, 4 hunks of rebar kinda anchor it down well...

Also, it's a good idea to have someone hang around camp. I've seen enough burns that I have no problem hanging at camp from my little hideyhole on top of my Mo'Home. Stranger wanders in, they get wandered back out. I'm rather good at frog-marching people. I also have no problem searching someone suspicious - if they're where they're not supposed to be, they earned it. And our camp, while part of BRC, like any good dictatorship, has it's own rules and laws.

Watch gas cans, too - they tend to wander along with Generators.

And anyone unauthorized loitering "backstage" gets frisked, photoed and frogmarched. People with sticky fingers... well, they may be glad we're close to a medtent to get those broken fingers looked at...

Remember - BRC isn't some nirvana, it's a regular city, which means we have the same demographics as any other city - including scumballs there to take advantage of you. Remember this, pretend like it's your home in defaultia security wise, and all will be well.
Lassen Forge

Location: Where it's always... Wednesday. Don't lose your head over it.

Postby gyre » Fri Jul 16, 2010 3:24 pm

Security fasteners can solve a lot of theft issues and can be cheaper than locks in some applications.

I can post links if anyone is interested.

They make them specifically for fog lamps and similar applications.
There is an enormous range, including nuts.
gyre

Postby Teo del Fuego » Tue Jul 20, 2010 12:44 pm

2009; Esplanade; Mischief Camp: Rusty sees a car speeding at night on the open playa and mutters to himself "that asshole has a car that looks a lot like mine!" Car was Rusty's and was borrowed by someone completely bonked out of his unwashed hippyass mind. Campmates "subdued" the perp when he crashed to a stop. LEOs took over from there.
Teo del Fuego

Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Whiskey & Dust

Postby robrob » Thu Aug 12, 2010 12:57 pm

i just bought a big ass 100 quart cooler, mainly because it has wheels and it's easy to lug around. then it occurred to me- if it's easy for me to carry 6 bags of ice, it'd be easy for someone else to carry away 120 cans of cold beer while I am out laying in the dust talking to god.

How do you guys handle cooler security when your camp empties out? I was thinking about locking it to some well planted rebar, but that still leaves it vulnerable to strangers opening it up and helping themselves.

starting to think stashing it in the tent might be the way to go.
robrob

Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: smoregasm / endor

Postby unjonharley » Thu Aug 12, 2010 3:43 pm

I keep the cooler in the van wraped in blankets.. This is also good for locking the doors on it..
unjonharley

Postby ibdave » Thu Aug 12, 2010 7:19 pm

some people bring a extra tent just for stashing gear. 8) 8) 8)
I was Born OK the 1st Time....

Don't bring defaultia to Burning Man, take Burning Man to defaultia...... graidawg
ibdave

Burning Since: 1998

Postby darren y » Fri Aug 13, 2010 2:03 am

it happens, in '07 I helped out some indians who were severly dehydrated, sat the in the Mister gave them water & gatorade, even fed them, they returned the favor by stealing food from me right in front of me!! They said "oh it's kool we went to school with this guy" the were so fucked up they didn't even remember, so I gave them the burritos them moved my cooler after they left, the next night they stole a bunch of booze when we confronted them the next day (they were camped across the street) & requested they give our cooler back they go hostile,
rangers made them move then they came back just before dawn & ripped a bunch of our lighting down, normally @ this point I would have went to kick someones ass, but the rangers asked that I let it slide, so against my rage I just let it go, it wasn't the stolen items or the damaged lights that pissed us off but the dishonesty/theivery & beating the pis out of them wouldn't of made them any more honest or smarter, & probably would have landed me with an assault charge, shit happens so I just let it go & let the Rangers deal with it...
aka: Mr. Mister
darren y

Postby AntiM » Fri Aug 13, 2010 6:08 am

There's a reason ex-lax brownies exist.
Some sunshine, some dust, a little paint and a tutu. Yeah.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby ygmir » Fri Aug 13, 2010 6:57 am

I note, a lot of "have-nots" take the attitude, when "stealing, or vandalizing":

"they can afford it, so, why not"?
As regards their victims, especially if they seem, or are, wealthy (in the perps opinion), and, get hostile if confronted, almost take an attitude of "entitlement" related to their actions against said victim.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Postby LeChatNoir » Fri Aug 13, 2010 7:03 am

That's beautiful.
The New and Improved Black Cat... now with 25% more blather
LeChatNoir

Postby Little Ali » Fri Aug 13, 2010 7:30 am

Stealing at Burning Man? What a bunch of silly monkeys. Why would they steal when everyone is so inviting?
Life, Live, Love
Little Ali

Postby ygmir » Fri Aug 13, 2010 7:43 am

LeChatNoir wrote:

That's beautiful.

it is my firm belief, that, if pushed, AntiM can be quite imaginative at retribution..........and, in a "pinch", I'd want her on my side.......
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Postby TomServo » Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:34 am

ygmir wrote:
LeChatNoir wrote:

That's beautiful.

it is my firm belief, that, if pushed, AntiM can be quite imaginative at retribution..........and, in a "pinch", I'd want her on my side.......

Maybe I should have put ex-lax in that bottle of absinthe.
anything worth doing is worth overdoing..
TomServo

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: BloodBath&Beyond

Postby ygmir » Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:37 am

TomServo wrote:
ygmir wrote:
LeChatNoir wrote:

That's beautiful.

haha, what works better, in liquor, is eye drops. I forget the brand, but, I think it's Visine.......works super fast, and, super "explosive". A bartender friend told me about it......
no, I don't suggest anyone do this to another person, and make them crap their pants, or possible hurt or embarrass them........YMMV
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Postby TomServo » Fri Aug 13, 2010 9:11 am

Hmmmmm! Good to know!
TomServo

Postby Fire_Moose » Fri Aug 13, 2010 9:17 am

How do coolers hold up inside of a tent? does putting them on something still have an effect?
2K8 Burning Man Virgin 2K11 Camp Envy
2K9 Camp Envy 2k12 Fucking Flamingoes
2k10 Stag Camp 2k13 Camp Envy
Fire_Moose

Postby SilverOrange » Fri Aug 13, 2010 9:19 am

ygmir wrote:
TomServo wrote:
ygmir wrote:
LeChatNoir wrote:

That's beautiful.

haha, what works better, in liquor, is eye drops. I forget the brand, but, I think it's Visine.......works super fast, and, super "explosive". A bartender friend told me about it......
no, I don't suggest anyone do this to another person, and make them crap their pants, or possible hurt or embarrass them........YMMV

Be sure and use the original formula Visine though. (I believe it's the only one that works.) The look of abject horror as they realise they are about to shit their pants is priceless.
SilverOrange

Postby ygmir » Fri Aug 13, 2010 9:20 am

SilverOrange wrote:
ygmir wrote:
TomServo wrote:
ygmir wrote:
LeChatNoir wrote:

That's beautiful.

Be sure and use the original formula Visine though. (I believe it's the only one that works.) The look of abject horror as they realise they are about to shit their pants is priceless.

and, praytell, how does one determine "original formula" from the others?
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Postby TomServo » Fri Aug 13, 2010 9:23 am

Fire_Moose wrote:How do coolers hold up inside of a tent? does putting them on something still have an effect?

Put the cooler on bricks....and yes it does
TomServo

Postby robrob » Fri Aug 13, 2010 9:26 am

psst: http://www.snopes.com/medical/myths/visine.asp

the visine in the drink thing is a myth; it does nasty stuff, but it doesn't cause the runs.[/url]
robrob

Postby AntiM » Fri Aug 13, 2010 9:47 am

No runs, but enough will cause death? Dangerous to know.

Somewhere is my writing library is a book on how to kill people without trace, written as a guideline for novelists. I am not a novelist. Why I have it eludes my spotty memory.
Some sunshine, some dust, a little paint and a tutu. Yeah.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby robrob » Fri Aug 13, 2010 9:58 am

ibdave wrote:some people bring a extra tent just for stashing gear. 8) 8) 8)

partner at work just gave me a second tent he bought for camping in sedona 7 years ago and never used :)

my beer shall be safe from drunken dehydrated indians.
robrob

Postby SilverOrange » Fri Aug 13, 2010 10:06 am

ygmir wrote:
SilverOrange wrote:
ygmir wrote:
TomServo wrote:
ygmir wrote:
LeChatNoir wrote:

That's beautiful.

and, praytell, how does one determine "original formula" from the others?

Sounds like we could have a double blind taste test at the M&G. What do you think robrob?

Back in the day I had a bartender friend who kept a bottle behind the bar for those "special" customers, and I did witness several rapid departures. Sorry robrob, but I never did follow them home to check the condition of their underwear later.
SilverOrange

Postby ygmir » Fri Aug 13, 2010 10:07 am

robrob wrote:psst: http://www.snopes.com/medical/myths/visine.asp

the visine in the drink thing is a myth; it does nasty stuff, but it doesn't cause the runs.[/url]

really? dang.
The guy that told me seems not the type to make that stuff up......said he'd done it.

hhhmmmm........

What's in that nice lemmony goodness we drink before a colonoscopy?
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Postby SilverOrange » Fri Aug 13, 2010 10:11 am

ygmir wrote:
robrob wrote:psst: http://www.snopes.com/medical/myths/visine.asp

really? dang.
The guy that told me seems not the type to make that stuff up......said he'd done it.

hhhmmmm........

What's in that nice lemmony goodness we drink before a colonoscopy?

Yeah, well they say that no UFO crashed in Roswell, it was a "magic" bullet that killed Kennedy, Sarah Palin isn't really a robot gone mad...
SilverOrange

PreviousNext

Return to Experiences at Burning Man