Playa wind nightmare stories

Share your pictures and video. Tell us about the sights, sounds, and scents, as well as the rumors and truths found at Burning Man.

Re: Playa wind nightmare stories

Postby TomServo » Sat Jul 28, 2012 3:17 pm

My first night in BRC, 1999, I woke up to the shadows of my tent poles flailing about. Half awake, I ran out with the duct tape...reattached the pole joints...duct taped over the seam...then promptly passed back out. The next morning I opened my tent flap to see our neighbors across the street. The giant tarp, that was the eastern wall of our camp had ripped out of its grommets. Luckily, it was still technically still attached. After about an hour of duct taping every possible malfunction on the camp, I heard from our neighbor, that 110 mph gusts were reported that night.

In 2007..I think..at that other thing in july..I arrived on the tail end of a 14 hour dust storm. After the storm passed, I saw, what used to be, an EZ-up canopy, crumpled beyond recognition.
anything worth doing is worth overdoing..
TomServo

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: BloodBath&Beyond

Postby FIGJAM » Sun Jul 29, 2012 6:33 pm

"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

"If I can't find an answer, I'll create one!!!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby RedHeaven » Mon Jul 30, 2012 12:47 pm

Not many wind stories the past couple years....BRC has gotten very lucky!!
I have a feeling after 2 years of mellow we are in for a doozy
RedHeaven

Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Cirque Du Cliche

Postby Ugly Dougly » Mon Jul 30, 2012 1:56 pm

Here's a photo of Ygmir lassoing a twister last year.

Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Postby FeetOfClay » Mon Jul 30, 2012 2:07 pm

reading this thread, i am so glad that Junglesmacks turned me on the idea of renting a small box truck, and using that for my shelter in BRC.

I was gonna go Amtrak from NY to Reno, rent a car, get a tent and rebar, and do it that way. then, Junglesmacks came along, showed me that renting a truck was actually CHEAPER than renting a car, and that the truck could be my shelter. i may need to shut the back door during a bad storm, but i kNOW it won't blow away, which is more than i can say for any tent i was gonna bring :)
What is this quintessence of dust?
FeetOfClay

Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Anonymous Village

Postby theCryptofishist » Mon Jul 30, 2012 2:15 pm

Ugly Dougly wrote:Here's a photo of Ygmir lassoing a twister last year.

I suppose you're going to say that while Pacos Ygmir was in Texas, he checked in on some grassy knoll.
Conspiracy theorists, always coming up with goofy connections.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby lucky420 » Mon Jul 30, 2012 2:26 pm

it's true ya know. I read it on wikipedia
Oh my god, it's HUGE!
lucky420

Burning Since: I'm not sure
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Postby Lassen Forge » Mon Jul 30, 2012 3:03 pm

TomServo wrote: In 2007..I think..at that other thing in july..I arrived on the tail end of a 14 hour dust storm. After the storm passed, I saw, what used to be, an EZ-up canopy, crumpled beyond recognition.

2007 - Legendary. Ug. The first time I remember a 3 day duststorm. Watching shit deconstruct right and left, from domes (tumbleweed) to EZ-ups (but not downs) to tents... Even watched said windstorm deconstruct a long term relationship (long story)... And mind you, the wind wasn't *that* bad (I think it was peaking between 70 and 80) but the dust it was packing was whatmade life shitty.

A good warning - considering the playa is even fluff dustier this year than '07. We get a repeat of these winds - or worse - and you better have handlines between your tents and main structures, and a GPS for finding the portapotties.
Lassen Forge

Location: Where it's always... Wednesday. Don't lose your head over it.

Postby Morrell » Mon Jul 30, 2012 4:44 pm

During the peak of the windstorm in 2007(my first Burn), my girlfriend and I had retreated into our little RV to wait it out and fell asleep. We awoke a bit later to see our neighbor ( who we barely knew) salvaging our shade structure with extra rebar. The first of so many random acts of kindness I have experienced at Burning Man over the years!!!
Morrell

Burning Since: 2007

Postby pizzamancer » Mon Jul 30, 2012 6:16 pm

It was a bit dusty on pizza night last year

pizzamancer

Burning Since: 2008

Postby FIGJAM » Wed Dec 18, 2013 5:42 pm

bump

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby FIGJAM » Wed Dec 18, 2013 6:29 pm

Dr Helix wrote:Okay it's 2008 and it's my first burn. Camping with an experienced group though, who are rebar staking everything in sight. But one other newbie is a self proclaimed "camping expert" who pooh pooh's the camps preperations as "over the top". He sets up a tent and then puts a popup over it, securing it with minimal tent stakes. Of course the winds come and we wait it out. When the dust clears, his popup is gone and his tent is shredded. We find the popup a block down the street on another camps roof. It is damaged but not destroyed. We retrieve it and help him repair it. But he insists once again that tent stakes are all he needs to secure it. So he does. Winds come again. And again, it is gone. This time it is destroyed. He was not asked back the following year to our camp. Some people just can't learn I guess.

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby AntiM » Thu Dec 19, 2013 7:00 am

Some pictures from Element 11 regional, held in Utah on a salt marsh. Similar winds to the playa, although a LOT wetter. Many EZ ups went tumbling. E-11 killed our big Coleman tent, too.

048 - Copy.JPG
Center Camp canopy. Four foot construction grade rebar pulled out of the ground.

047 - Copy.JPG
This was under the Center Camp canopy, blow out just before the saucer fell.
Some sunshine, some dust, a little paint and a tutu. Yeah.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby Simon of the Playa » Thu Dec 19, 2013 7:27 am

fuck you, it's magic

"i manifest that shit, yo.....Thug Burner for Life"

Less Hanky, More Panky™

A gift for the Playa

THIS YEARS POSTERS

2015 posters
Simon of the Playa

Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Postby mdmf007 » Mon Dec 23, 2013 4:07 pm

years ago camp next to ours had a tarp catch the wind just right it ripped the 40" long jersey barrier spike (think huge nail an inch thick) out of the ground and on a 10 or 12 foot tether. This tarp flung the nail through the windshield of my truck, paused a second, and then yanked the entire windshield out on its return. It went through a 2 inch diameter hole, turned like a toggle and yanked it right out.

The entire motion took 4 seconds maybe.

Happy times.
One of the Meanie Greenies (Figjam 2013)
mdmf007

Camp Name: ESD

Postby MacGlenver » Mon Dec 23, 2013 10:26 pm

^ repost! :P

I wouldnt call it a nightmare, but this year we had a dust devil blow through our camp. It was really amazing to watch. We were sitting on our bikes, holding beers and getting ready to head out in the middle of the day. I watched a little wind kick up, start swirling next to one of our cars and within 3 or 4 seconds a 4 foot wide, 15 foot tall dust devil formed. It moved away from the car, right toward our 20x30' monkey hut. The hut was filled with inflatable furniture that we'd used the two prior burns. In the two prior burns, the inflatables never even moved during a windstorm (presumably because we had enough wind blocks). The dust devil, however, scraped the back of the monkey hut and sucked all the furniture straight out and threw it spinning 20 feet into the air. I watched in amazement until It headed for our full recycling can and shoved it over like a kid having a tantrum. At which point I dropped my beer (spilled it :() and ran over to prevent a moop disaster. The dust devil then died. Start to finish it was about 10 seconds.
"just two indecisive cowboys, trying to play a word game." - piehole
"Just apply intelligence and discretion and you should be able to get away with just about anything." - Ugly Dougly
MacGlenver

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: I call this one 'Old Gregg'

Postby ranger magnum » Tue Dec 24, 2013 1:55 pm

Those windstorms in 07 were fierce. My drink almost spilled in the rv...
Praise the Lowered
ranger magnum

Camp Name: Camp Yonder/Ottoman Empire

Previous

Return to Experiences at Burning Man